test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Holodeck Connection Issues

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,480 Community Moderator
    Getting mad about it is the reaction this troll is after, don't bite that bait and ignore him

If he's gunning for Neverwinter, its the Neverwinter community that needs the warning. We're just collateral damage if its the same prick as last time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pigsbanepigsbane Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Truthfully, the only thing I think PerfectWorld should do for us as a 'result' of this attack is to extend the 'Last Chance Lock Box' Event and the Bonus Fleet Marks by a day. Not really giving us anything free, just extending the current 'events' for a day that many of us lost part/most of due to the DDOSer. I also like the 'mafia like' solution do DDOSers... Electrotherapy can be SOOO persuasive...
  • dwwolfedwwolfe Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    OK folks. This is the sort of thing that keeps punk keyboard cowboys all twitterpated and happy. We all know who is claiming responsibility. We all would love to visit him repeatedly to make sure he is never able to log onto a network of any kind again. HOWEVER..... WE, as mature responsible, mature, self-controll...... Aw who am I kidding, I wanna find him and break his fingers but pretty sure you cannot play the game from inside jail..... I DO hope Cryptic/PWE are able to get a handle on this person and find a way to help limit his ability to create this kind of stupidity in the future..... Like possibly updating firewall restrictions to deny that ip addy ANY access possibly
    Too many characters to list but still adding more.......The addiction to this game is real
  • ariotexariotex Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Sigh......

• lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Honestly, I know Blizzard's Warden* is probably the most closely guarded code in gaming, if not all of commercial software, but maybe you guys could give them a call and ask for advice at least.

*Seriously, I imagine that NSA and Google dream of that level of traffic monitoring, data collection, and in-app activity monitoring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    And all the people are like:

https://youtu.be/DBIg6FcSjy4
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,480 Community Moderator
    dwwolfe wrote: »
    OK folks. This is the sort of thing that keeps punk keyboard cowboys all twitterpated and happy. We all know who is claiming responsibility. We all would love to visit him repeatedly to make sure he is never able to log onto a network of any kind again. HOWEVER..... WE, as mature responsible, mature, self-controll...... Aw who am I kidding, I wanna find him and break his fingers but pretty sure you cannot play the game from inside jail..... I DO hope Cryptic/PWE are able to get a handle on this person and find a way to help limit his ability to create this kind of stupidity in the future..... Like possibly updating firewall restrictions to deny that ip addy ANY access possibly

Would be nice... unless he's got what my old Jedi Academy clan liked to call the "License to be an A**" aka Dynamic IP. Static is easy to block, but Dynamic is dang near impossible. A Range Ban might work, but would also affect who knows how many innocent bystanders who have an IP in the same range. One of our clanmates was unintentionally banned that way. Now maybe if there was a way to block MAC addresses... then it might be doable as I don't think you can change that without getting another computer or router or something...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    dwwolfe wrote: »

Would be nice... unless he's got what my old Jedi Academy clan liked to call the "License to be an A**" aka Dynamic IP. Static is easy to block, but Dynamic is dang near impossible. A Range Ban might work, but would also affect who knows how many innocent bystanders who have an IP in the same range. One of our clanmates was unintentionally banned that way. Now maybe if there was a way to block MAC addresses... then it might be doable as I don't think you can change that without getting another computer or router or something...

I think this is also another reason as to why we're transitioning to IPv6; makes it easier to blacklist malicious addresses.
    One can hope.
  • pigsbanepigsbane Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Honestly, I know Blizzard's Warden* is probably the most closely guarded code in gaming, if not all of commercial software, but maybe you guys could give them a call and ask for advice at least.

*Seriously, I imagine that NSA and Google dream of that level of traffic monitoring, data collection, and in-app activity monitoring.
    Blizzard's Warden, does NOT protect against DDOS. Its an anti-cheating program built into their games. That is IT. (See court case MDY Industries v Blizzard Entertainment) Lastmaxstanding, I REGULARLY play WoW and they have the SAME PROBLEMS with DDOS attacks that Perfect World does. Fact is that there is NO TRUE way to prevent a DDOS attack because what the DDOSer is (essentially doing) is flooding the server with data, overloading the bandwidth. Can you see the OBVIOUS problem with trying to prevent that sort of thing with a game (or almost any other type of) server? Here's a hint... How can you tell the difference between legitimate web traffic and a DDOS attack? If you can answer that and program it, you will make BILLIONS from practically every company and the US Government, because so far NO ONE has been able to figure out how to do that...
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    And all the people are like:

https://youtu.be/DBIg6FcSjy4

Well that is the measured side of the reaction. Mine is more animated but I'm remaining calm on the outside, my imagination, however, is getting a major workout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Now maybe if there was a way to block MAC addresses... then it might be doable as I don't think you can change that without getting another computer or router or something...

For the record, MAC addresses are "stored" in networking components. Modems, Routers, Ethernet Cards, etc.

Problem with using it for a "ban"? Much like Dynamic IPs, how do you... ensure... the Ban-ee is going to use that singular "banned" piece of hardware "for all eternity".

Especially in light of how,,, inexpensively... I can get a new MAC address - whether to replace one that gets blocked, or to have a spare MAC to do things that might lead me to being blocked (or traced)...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    It looks like things have stabilized
  • jowolf18jowolf18 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Hope so Trendy!! I would hate to see that guy thats doing it(Twitter name @NEVERWINTERGOD) makes you guys have to keep fixing it.
  • carvin72carvin72 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Thanks Trendy!! I know you guys get a lot of grief ... but I feel, the majority of the players on STO apperciate everything you guys do!
    CRY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    I log back in after a year or so off and keep getting lag and disconnects. Can't believe you guys don't have some sort of DDOS protection in place.
    Such as? You're aware that there are a few groups of hackers that routinely DDoS the Pentagon. Are you seriously proposing that Cryptic is capable of developing stronger internet defense systems than the US military?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Here comes another one... >_>
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    And getting thrown out the game again.
  • texasred79texasred79 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Annnnnnd we're back down again.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Our network team is investigating the connection to Holodeck.

Again.

I'm tired.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Trendy is there someway you all can put something in place to stop this
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Ugg Does whoever is causing this seriously not have anything better to do?
    sstosig2.png
  • jowolf18jowolf18 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    @LaughingTrendy...It will probably happen from now all the way through the Anniversary event. Keep Heads Up High!!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User

Do you mean the attacks have stabilized at a constant? The launcher won't even fully load currently.
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    The attacks are back
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    Our network team is investigating the connection to Holodeck.

Again.

I'm tired.
    jcsww wrote: »

Do you mean the attacks have stabilized at a constant? The launcher won't even fully load currently.

@pwlaughingtrendy The attacks are also affecting Tribble too.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    carvin72 wrote: »
    Hunt this guy down .... nail his .>>> to the floor, set the house on fire and forget to dial 911!

what is the number for 119?

"Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • shawnypshawnyp Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Just a thought but how about putting a bounty on this guy's head??? I bet more than a couple Anonymous people play this game....
  • voyagerqvoyagerq Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    You know what Trendy.. We're tired too.. I don't mean to demean your efforts.. but if this is all from as you put it "he who shall not be named".. You guys seriously need to get your act together.. you guys are looking very foolish right now!!!