test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Holodeck Connection Issues

Comments

• voyagerqvoyagerq Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    You know what Trendy.. We're tired too.. I don't mean to demean your efforts.. but if this is all from as you put it "he who shall not be named".. You guys seriously need to get your act together.. you guys are looking very foolish right now!!!
  • imperialmirrorimperialmirror Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Can they be IP banned so they can never return. Its obvious that this guy doesn't want to play Neverwinter or STO so why not just IP banned him for good. Bye Felicia ! lol
    1Wv2pWK.gif
  • mavericksawyermavericksawyer Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Ok, good to know it's not my computer flipping out... and that Comcast's crappy internet isn't to blame either.

Lemme know once things are stable for more than 20 minutes. Gonna go play Robocraft instead.
    My guide to internet survival:

NEVER argue with trolls, drunks, idiots, or conspiracy nuts. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Looks like the script kiddies are at it again. Would it really be too much to ask that they be arrested and prosecuted? You know, actually DO SOMETHING about them, instead of rushing to fight off their BS?
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Is this related to my XMPP certificate from Cryptic being expired? I'm getting kind of tired of having to click Accept over and over again. I may just keep my XMPP client disabled.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    pigsbane wrote: »
    Honestly, I know Blizzard's Warden* is probably the most closely guarded code in gaming, if not all of commercial software, but maybe you guys could give them a call and ask for advice at least.

*Seriously, I imagine that NSA and Google dream of that level of traffic monitoring, data collection, and in-app activity monitoring.
    Blizzard's Warden, does NOT protect against DDOS. Its an anti-cheating program built into their games. That is IT. (See court case MDY Industries v Blizzard Entertainment) Lastmaxstanding, I REGULARLY play WoW and they have the SAME PROBLEMS with DDOS attacks that Perfect World does. Fact is that there is NO TRUE way to prevent a DDOS attack because what the DDOSer is (essentially doing) is flooding the server with data, overloading the bandwidth. Can you see the OBVIOUS problem with trying to prevent that sort of thing with a game (or almost any other type of) server? Here's a hint... How can you tell the difference between legitimate web traffic and a DDOS attack? If you can answer that and program it, you will make BILLIONS from practically every company and the US Government, because so far NO ONE has been able to figure out how to do that...

Your capslock is cutting in and out something fierce, brah. And I played WoW for 8 years. I know how much trouble they did and don't have comparatively. Especially when you consider scale of target comparison.
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    The disconnect meant that I actually watched TV...Lucifer looks like it might be a good series :)
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Is this related to my XMPP certificate from Cryptic being expired? I'm getting kind of tired of having to click Accept over and over again. I may just keep my XMPP client disabled.​​

No, but I sure do wish they would update that as well!
  • wolfehunterswolfehunters Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Seriously these DDos'ers should attack targets of value like crooked governments etc. Why hit game mmos when we all are in the same boat.. Just trying to enjoy a game. Kill some Klingons, pillage ferengi's and eat some tribbles biscuits. :P
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    Our network team is investigating the connection to Holodeck.

Again.

I'm tired.

trendy, thank you for the inhuman level of effort and patience you have put into this today, in keeping us up to date, even as the day's events have very likely shoved what little sanity you have left into and right on out the torpedo tubes.

thank you for trying your best, and know that some of us actually do appreciate your efforts.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
    Games are easy and not likely to invite jail time...Governments are not and do
    and, no, I'm neither skilled, nor inclined that way
    jcsww wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    Is this related to my XMPP certificate from Cryptic being expired? I'm getting kind of tired of having to click Accept over and over again. I may just keep my XMPP client disabled.

No, but I sure do wish they would update that as well!

4wb9YvL.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one, then. Hope this DDoS attack clears up soon. Of all the games they could have chosen, why this one? Cryptic is a bit of a low hanging fruit.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Eat... some... tribble... biscuits...

Nope... I ain't going there... nope... nuh-uh...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Can they be IP banned so they can never return. Its obvious that this guy doesn't want to play Neverwinter or STO so why not just IP banned him for good. Bye Felicia ! lol

If he was using a static IP maybe. But if he's using Dynamic, its basically a License to be an A**. Dang near impossible to ban a Dynamic.
    xariama wrote: »
    Looks like the script kiddies are at it again. Would it really be too much to ask that they be arrested and prosecuted? You know, actually DO SOMETHING about them, instead of rushing to fight off their BS?

First: Dude's not American. We'd have to go through international law to nail him. Even then... would it be enough to keep him away?
    Second: There's no way to block a DDoS unless you can identify which "signals" are the ones causing it compared to the ones who are just regular use like the rest of us. Not even the US Department of Defense has been able to successfully block a DDoS, and they got supercomputers and satellites and things like that. If someone wants to DDoS, they can Nothing can stop them except their own bordom. That's the problem. So... what can Cryptic do other than what they are doing now?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Member Posts: 18 Arc User

Legitimate question, but the D in DDOS is Distributed Denial of Service Attack. Typically using a botnet or (since someone mentioned Anonymoose like they can do anything) voluntary membership equivalents to send typical internet traffic from thousands/tens of thousands/hundreds of thousands of places/computers at once. I have no idea what the typical numbers are like nowadays since I'm management nowadays and it's not my problem, but I recall a while back there was a botnet discovered in...I want to say Russia? That consisted of some 150,000 - 200,000 compromised computers. Let's imagine that total active membership for STO is 1 million players. Given time zones and work schedules and whatnot, two hundred thousand additional incoming requests is probably twice the expected peak traffic server load. And that's if they were being nice and just saying 'hi' a few times a second in an attempt to emulate typical player traffic. Since they're typically running off compromised systems that the person doing the attack could care less about getting banned individually they're free to go hog wild and let the victim try to play whack-a-mole blocking individual after individual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Days like these, I sure wish the game client had a "remember my login/password" button. So sick of manually having to fix it and then log in because it keeps using my old pre-PWE login instead of the current one.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Seriously these DDos'ers should attack targets of value like crooked governments etc. Why hit game mmos when we all are in the same boat.. Just trying to enjoy a game. Kill some Klingons, pillage ferengi's and eat some tribbles biscuits. :P

Because that would be doing something good and helpful to others instead of throwing a temper tantrum like a two-year-old when told "This isn't supposed to work like that, so we're fixing it to where it works like it was meant to, sorry to all the people who were exploiting it to rack up ridiculous amounts of in-game currency, but you'll need to actually play the game now."
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Common DDoS protection deployments use a flow analytics device, which reacts to the discovered incident by redirecting the victim’s traffic to a mitigation device and telling it what action to take. This method scales well for gathering traffic to be analyzed, and the reactive model only redirects potentially bad traffic, which allows for some bandwidth oversubscription. But this is risky business as the mean time to mitigate can run into minutes.

For the most insightful detection and fastest mitigation, you can’t beat in-path deployment of a high-performance DDoS mitigation device that is able to detect and mitigate immediately. In-path deployment allows for continuous processing of all incoming traffic (asymmetric) and possibly also the outgoing traffic (symmetric). This means the mitigation device can take immediate action, providing sub-second mitigation times. Care should be taken that the mitigation solution is able to scale with the uplink capacity, and the real-world performance during multi-vector attacks.
    -http://www.networkworld.com/article/2905115/network-security/the-best-way-to-stop-ddos-attacks.html

I'm sure the network host that Perfect World's games are on has some form of DDoS countermeasures in place...

Even consumer routers have DDoS mitigation built in... nothing is 100% and there are so many ways to DDoS. Static IP or Dynamic IP doesn't matter, especially if you are using multiple nodes to perform the attack (then you have many IPs at your disposal).

The only way to cut down on it is flow monitoring and watch for drastic changes in packet flow.
  • alkorahil#4022 alkorahil Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    You would think people would have better things to do. I never have understood this sort of hackerish behavior. It is all just sad.
    I do sometimes (rarely) complain...but only if I think that it's in the power of Cryptic to correct. I get that the DDOS attacks are outside of their control, and I'm happy that they are trying to look after it.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Alright, things are looking like they're back to a reasonable level.

I'll continue to monitor.
    Thanks, Trendy :)
    Thanks Trendy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jowolf18jowolf18 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    He Who Must Not Be Named on Twitter is basically saying it will happen every 20 minutes or so if No One provokes him.
    Dude's got a grudge against Neverwinter because he can't exploit something to make lots of pixel monies anymore. So he wants to Scorched Earth it. He can't have his way, no one can play.
  • mavericksawyermavericksawyer Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    So, any stability in sight, or do I need to call it quits for another day?
    My guide to internet survival:

NEVER argue with trolls, drunks, idiots, or conspiracy nuts. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Dude's got a grudge against Neverwinter because he can't exploit something to make lots of pixel monies anymore. So he wants to Scorched Earth it. He can't have his way, no one can play.

I'm not saying I agree with his methods. But I can say I understand.

Still, there are more creative ways to grind an axe with Cryptic than a DDoS attack.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg