^^
    maintain the exclusivity and collectability

inigomontoya.jpg

Basically this. :3
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    So much delicious hate pig-6.gifpig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    I was gonna post a long rant. But know barely anyone is gonna read it. So gonna try and keep it short.
    Please stop using these words together.

Exclusivity = Limited number/limited chance of getting
    Collectability = Capable of being collected

These two words don't belong together. I know someone can proberly start talking about collectable cards like... pokemon? and how there are rare cards that was only a limited number of.
    Yeah, those rare cards aren't collectable then,
    Okay, cutting the rest because you (and many others) don't seem to understand what exactly gives "collectible" goods their value. Limited-run items can indeed be considered collectible during their period of availability because one of collectible's definitions is, good for a collection : considered valuable by collectors. A limited-run item has value to collectors and is therefore collectible. Nowhere does it say collectible items must be continuously available for anyone to collect. If anyone could acquire them at any time, would they really still have collector value?
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So you guys want to make sure we do the full grind every year. Fine, whatever. But don't make ships (or any other content for that matter) totally unavailable for newer players, that's silly.

Other people have ranted far more eloquently than me, so I'll just leave it at that.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    I was gonna post a long rant. But know barely anyone is gonna read it. So gonna try and keep it short.
    Please stop using these words together.

Exclusivity = Limited number/limited chance of getting
    Collectability = Capable of being collected

These two words don't belong together. I know someone can proberly start talking about collectable cards like... pokemon? and how there are rare cards that was only a limited number of.
    Yeah, those rare cards aren't collectable then,
    Okay, cutting the rest because you (and many others) don't seem to understand what exactly gives "collectible" goods their value.

Cutting the rest aswell (sorry if this sound demeaning, not intended)
    I am not talking about collector value which is an entirely diffrent concept. I am talking about the meaning of the word collectability.
    Diffrent concepts, diffrent words, diffrent meaning. Okay?
    Yeah pokemon cards still got collector value after they stop production, and people will still try and collect them. But if no one is offering them, they can't be collected.

Collector = person that collects items
    Collector value = worth of items collected to either collector or others
    Collectability = capable of being collected

And these ingame items no longer got any collectability, as you can't get them anymore after this. They can't be traded as they are bind on pick.

Anyway, back on topic.
    Sad to see these options getting removed aswell! D:
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I just came here to read all the "boohoo the 960 photos I saved up last year so I could have this year's ship on day one was done for nothing!" comments I knew this announcement would bring. I'm not disappointed. ;)
    xoelloe wrote: »
    I just came here to read all the "boohoo the 960 photos I saved up last year so I could have this year's ship on day one was done for nothing!" comments I knew this announcement would bring. I'm not disappointed. ;)

Yep. Most of the peeps whining here will be doing the same next year, and after(if the game still exists). There is always something to complain about. Bring on the Winter Event, let the whining stop!

Gotta love the extreme elitism in posts like these. First and foremost they're not getting the ship for nothing. They still had to farm the extra pictures. In this instance they simply had done it a year earlier than what you did. the work is still the same, only they farmed out what they would have needed ahead of time, you didn't.

Overall I see nothing but elitism in both of your posts. I also see raging neckbeard attitude in these posts. "someone has something else like me, end it now before anyone else can get it."

removing options for players is something that never goes over well. In what way does it hurt the 2 of you to let the ship stay in game, please enlighten me. As others have explained it's more than just someone not getting a chance at the ship. Yes that is a concern but when these ships have items that go with item sets, such as the Samsar console being a prime example, and these ships are removed, you make it impossible for players to ever complete those sets.

Overall this is a heavy handed solution for something that there's very simple fixes for.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    xoelloexoelloe Member Posts: 68 Arc User

Yep. Most of the peeps whining here will be doing the same next year, and after(if the game still exists). There is always something to complain about. Bring on the Winter Event, let the whining stop!

Gotta love the extreme elitism in posts like these. First and foremost they're not getting the ship for nothing. They still had to farm the extra pictures. In this instance they simply had done it a year earlier than what you did. the work is still the same, only they farmed out what they would have needed ahead of time, you didn't.

Overall I see nothing but elitism in both of your posts. I also see raging neckbeard attitude in these posts. "someone has something else like me, end it now before anyone else can get it."

removing options for players is something that never goes over well. In what way does it hurt the 2 of you to let the ship stay in game, please enlighten me. As others have explained it's more than just someone not getting a chance at the ship. Yes that is a concern but when these ships have items that go with item sets, such as the Samsar console being a prime example, and these ships are removed, you make it impossible for players to ever complete those sets.

Overall this is a heavy handed solution for something that there's very simple fixes for.

Dude, you seem to have a serious case of tunnel view. Where did I say anything of the sort you claim? I couldn't care less if the ship stays in game, and I do not hurt at all. All I am saying is whining will NOT bring those ships back, you know that perfectly well, and yet here you all are, shooting left, right, and center. I missed out on the Samsar too, and I am not whining about it. As has been said before, it is not like you all hadn't received a fair warning before and during the Summer event? Have the grace to swallow the pill and move on.
  • Options
    Cutting the rest aswell (sorry if this sound demeaning, not intended)
    I am not talking about collector value which is an entirely diffrent concept. I am talking about the meaning of the word collectability.
    Diffrent concepts, diffrent words, diffrent meaning. Okay?
    Yeah pokemon cards still got collector value after they stop production, and people will still try and collect them. But if no one is offering them, they can't be collected.

Collector = person that collects items
    Collector value = worth of items collected to either collector or others
    Collectability = capable of being collected

And these ingame items no longer got any collectability, as you can't get them anymore after this. They can't be traded as they are bind on pick.

Anyway, back on topic.
    Sad to see these options getting removed aswell! D:
    Cutting part of my post isn't demeaning at all. It reduces clutter. :)

Anyway, one definition is "able to be collected, yes." However, items classified as "collectible" also includes out of print items. Additionally, Cryptic's staff could be referring to the fact that a given item is collectible for a limited time, at which point it becomes an exclusive item. All of these event items could be considered e-collectibles. "Collectors' Edition" items are often limited run as well.

Huh? What? Nowhere did I say these items should be removed. I'm actually pretty indifferent because I don't really care if players can get something I got a long time ago. In fact, I'm actually against that kind of cancerous special snowflake attitude.

It's really as simple as this:

Cryptic wants players to play through the events for several days, culminating with the reward of a ship or other big reward. They don't want people to stockpile event currency one year, then snag the reward on day 1 the year after. Seriously, think about how stupid it is that players could even do that in the first place.

And on top of that...

Not offering several years worth of ships is, in a sense, helpful to newer players. Imagine how much it would suck to be the poor sap who chose the chell gret warship without knowing any better, that whatever this year's T6 ship will be would've been a far better choice.

Finally, Let's face it. Nobody, especially a new player, is going to throw down the amount of lobi crystals required to pick up all those previous-year ships. Even for the admiralty system, there's a lot of other ships in this game already that are far more cost effective admiralty filler.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    Dude, you seem to have a serious case of tunnel view. Where did I say anything of the sort you claim? I couldn't care less if the ship stays in game, and I do not hurt at all. All I am saying is whining will NOT bring those ships back, you know that perfectly well, and yet here you all are, shooting left, right, and center. I missed out on the Samsar too, and I am not whining about it. As has been said before, it is not like you all hadn't received a fair warning before and during the Summer event? Have the grace to swallow the pill and move on.

What you call tunnel view I call seeing the bigger picture. You also fail to see the implications of these ships being removed and how it will effect not only veteran players who never obtained them, but new players that can't obtain them. I'll elaborate more on that in a moment. With that in mind warning someone after it's been removed and no longer obtainable is not fair warning. That's an, oh yeah btw we're taking this out. If they want to go that route then that's on them, but it's a bad way to go about it.

As to the ships being removed, what you fail to see is how this penalizes veteran players and new players alike.

Samsar - contains console that's part of 4 piece command set.
    Breen Chel Grett- contains console part of hypercooled technology set
    Breen Plesh Brek - contains console part of hypercooled technology set
    Breen Saar Theln - contains console part of hypercooled technology set
    Ferengi Nandi - contains console part of the Expedited Delivery set
    Dyson Science Destroyer - contains solanae warp core and secondary deflector

As I told some other folks, these ships above with the exception of the Dyson Science Destroyer are no longer available. Had the Dyson Science Destroyer not been made available by other means, then the Solanae set could never be completed by new players or vets alike that never got the ship.

The Breen ships will never be obtainable by people looking to complete their breen setups. If a new player picks up the D'kora then they will never be able to complete the console set.

The Samsar is also part of the 4 piece command cruiser set. Without the Samsar this set can't be completed. The bad part about this one in particular is these ships are sold in the cstore with the assumption of being able to complete the 4 piece set. I'm not going to say that's false advertising but at the very least it looks very bad and sets a very very bad precedent.

I have nothing against exclusive items and achievements provided they don't penalize other people by not having them. plenty of people still pick up the Dyson Science Destroyer if but for no other reason to complete their solanae sets. if they would just throw these ships in the lobi store or give another event to allow people to get these ships then there would be no issue.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

What you call tunnel view I call seeing the bigger picture. You also fail to see the implications of these ships being removed and how it will effect not only veteran players who never obtained them, but new players that can't obtain them. I'll elaborate more on that in a moment. With that in mind warning someone after it's been removed and no longer obtainable is not fair warning. That's an, oh yeah btw we're taking this out. If they want to go that route then that's on them, but it's a bad way to go about it.

As to the ships being removed, what you fail to see is how this penalizes veteran players and new players alike.

Samsar - contains console that's part of 4 piece command set.
    Breen Chel Grett- contains console part of hypercooled technology set
    Breen Plesh Brek - contains console part of hypercooled technology set
    Breen Saar Theln - contains console part of hypercooled technology set
    Ferengi Nandi - contains console part of the Expedited Delivery set
    Dyson Science Destroyer - contains solanae warp core and secondary deflector

As I told some other folks, these ships above with the exception of the Dyson Science Destroyer are no longer available. Had the Dyson Science Destroyer not been made available by other means, then the Solanae set could never be completed by new players or vets alike that never got the ship.

The Breen ships will never be obtainable by people looking to complete their breen setups. If a new player picks up the D'kora then they will never be able to complete the console set.

The Samsar is also part of the 4 piece command cruiser set. Without the Samsar this set can't be completed. The bad part about this one in particular is these ships are sold in the cstore with the assumption of being able to complete the 4 piece set. I'm not going to say that's false advertising but at the very least it looks very bad and sets a very very bad precedent.

I have nothing against exclusive items and achievements provided they don't penalize other people by not having them. plenty of people still pick up the Dyson Science Destroyer if but for no other reason to complete their solanae sets. if they would just throw these ships in the lobi store or give another event to allow people to get these ships then there would be no issue.

Exactly. I'd happily throw down some lobi for older event ships/items if they made them available. Point is, a lot of people DO want these items and retiring them is just a slap in the face to the players.
  • Options
    Huh? What? Nowhere did I say these items should be removed. I'm actually pretty indifferent because I don't really care if players can get something I got a long time ago. In fact, I'm actually against that kind of cancerous special snowflake attitude.

It's really as simple as this:

Cryptic wants players to play through the events for several days, culminating with the reward of a ship or other big reward. They don't want people to stockpile event currency one year, then snag the reward on day 1 the year after. Seriously, think about how stupid it is that players could even do that in the first place.

And on top of that...

Not offering several years worth of ships is, in a sense, helpful to newer players. Imagine how much it would suck to be the poor sap who chose the chell gret warship without knowing any better, that whatever this year's T6 ship will be would've been a far better choice.

Finally, Let's face it. Nobody, especially a new player, is going to throw down the amount of lobi crystals required to pick up all those previous-year ships. Even for the admiralty system, there's a lot of other ships in this game already that are far more cost effective admiralty filler.

The big thing you don't see is that the same result can be accomplished by just requiring the project to use currency from current year. if you want 2015 event ship, you must use 2015 currency. if you want 2016 ship you must use 2016 currency. As I said this is a heavy handed solution to a problem that has a very simple fix and it's overkill.

You seriously underestimate what a new player will spend cash on. When I was a new player I dropped enough cash to get at least 10 cstore ships, and enough keys to build the lobi required to get a Jem'hadar dreadnaught from scratch. That before going to a gold member. that's 25000 zen just for the ships. Then there's the lobi for just the Jem'hadar which required me to spend an average of roughly 160 keys which is another 18000 zen. This doesn't count all the other times I flipped keys for ec or bought dilithium with the zen. so off just that alone I spent a minimum of $430. That's just what I know of that I spent. I've put several hundred more dollars into the game since then. Now not every player will do that but there are plenty like me who will.

The point being it gives people options. If they want the ships to complete their gear sets then they can have access to it. Cryptic makes money, the player gets their ship/console, everyone is happy. By not having access to these ships new players are already penalized should they decide to invest in the command cruisers, pick up a D'kora, or so on. With the Dyson Science ship being available they can at least complete the Solanae set. By removing these other ships with no recourse it sets a very bad precedent.

Also if a new players sees all those ships, suppose they create more toons and require character slots to get them. Cryptic makes a sale on toon slots. Point being this takes options away from players while penalizing them at the same time. I actually did not miss the Samsar but I know people who did and it's ridiculous that they have no recourse. I also missed the Plesh Brekk and the t6 carrier. That's a console set that now I will never be able to complete. It wouldn't be a big deal if these ships weren't tied into console sets or some other type of set like the Odyssey and Ambassador, but since they are, it's a big deal. It's a very very bad precedent.

• Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    Does this mean they will do the same with the anniversary tokens? I have 400 slotted in the science destroyer that I never bothered to finish... and another 400 just sitting in my invenory (which were for this year's event... but I could slot them in the destroyer).

I disliked earning the favours for the summer ships... I'm so useless at the jet pack thing that frankly I didn't bother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I disliked earning the favours for the summer ships... I'm so useless at the jet pack thing that frankly I didn't bother.

I feel the same way about the winter event's stupid ice race. Can't stand doing that TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    The big thing you don't see is that the same result can be accomplished by just requiring the project to use currency from current year. if you want 2015 event ship, you must use 2015 currency. if you want 2016 ship you must use 2016 currency. As I said this is a heavy handed solution to a problem that has a very simple fix and it's overkill.
    So if each ship requires its current year currency to avoid confusion, then what's the point in having the others as options if you can't obtain, say, 2013 currency in 2015?
    You seriously underestimate what a new player will spend cash on. When I was a new player I dropped enough cash to get at least 10 cstore ships, and enough keys to build the lobi required to get a Jem'hadar dreadnaught from scratch. That before going to a gold member. that's 25000 zen just for the ships. Then there's the lobi for just the Jem'hadar which required me to spend an average of roughly 160 keys which is another 18000 zen. This doesn't count all the other times I flipped keys for ec or bought dilithium with the zen. so off just that alone I spent a minimum of $430. That's just what I know of that I spent. I've put several hundred more dollars into the game since then. Now not every player will do that but there are plenty like me who will.
    Consider yourself an exception. There are far more cheapskates/minnows like me than there are people who will spend fair amounts of cash. I wager the average player isn't likely to spend more than $100 on this game during their entire time here. With a small budget like that, I doubt a new player would buy the lobi needed to acquire those ships when their money is better spent on current T6 ships. I can promise you, I wouldn't.
    The point being it gives people options. If they want the ships to complete their gear sets then they can have access to it. Cryptic makes money, the player gets their ship/console, everyone is happy. By not having access to these ships new players are already penalized should they decide to invest in the command cruisers, pick up a D'kora, or so on. With the Dyson Science ship being available they can at least complete the Solanae set. By removing these other ships with no recourse it sets a very bad precedent.
    I wouldn't see a problem with them putting the previous year ships (or at least consoles) in the lobi store. Maybe even the previous consoles in the summer/winter stores, respectively. However, one should note that none of the event ship consoles or set bonuses are all that impressive when compared to rep projects or even the iconian arc goodies. Plus, those consoles are only usable on the event ship groups they come from. Risa consoles only on Risa ships, Breen consoles only on Breen ships. It's not like anyone is missing out on something that will make their gaming experience better forever, like the red matter capacitor.
    Also if a new players sees all those ships, suppose they create more toons and require character slots to get them. Cryptic makes a sale on toon slots. Point being this takes options away from players while penalizing them at the same time. I actually did not miss the Samsar but I know people who did and it's ridiculous that they have no recourse. I also missed the Plesh Brekk and the t6 carrier. That's a console set that now I will never be able to complete. It wouldn't be a big deal if these ships weren't tied into console sets or some other type of set like the Odyssey and Ambassador, but since they are, it's a big deal. It's a very very bad precedent.
    Believe me when I say the breen set is pretty much TRIBBLE. You're seriously not missing out on anything.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    The problem with giving players "one last chance" to get the previous ship(s), is that there would always be someone asking for "one last chance" because [insert excuse here as to why they missed it before]. If an exception were granted for this year, it would be used as the basis of an argument for granting an exception the next year. Players were told during the summer that this was going to happen, so if Cryptic is going to retire them, then just retire them. No "last chance" promotions.

Now, that's not to say that I support that decision. I don't agree at all with retiring rewards, or one-time only rewards that cannot be reclaimed. I do not see the problem with allowing the winter/summer ship or CC/MI projects to be done indefinitely. Especially when Cryptic runs new player recruitment promotions like Delta Rising. I just don't see how it's advantageous to Cryptic to deny rewards to newer players.

^This, right here!

We, the community should do something until Cryptic does this.

How about a compromise?

Cryptic can have it there way and make new economies for the ships and events, and in return, they just allow us to get whatever ship we want. Either the new ship for the event, or, some of the old ships.

And its not like players wouldn't play anymore. Unless you have at least 5 toons its not like you could do all the ships in one event. AND even if you do run and claim every ship in one event, there would be a new ship next year so you would always come back.

What do you all think?

Yes. Yes, yes, YES.

Except when I suggested that during the summer event, the suggestion fell on deaf ears. I fear it will be the same this time.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The mistakes of the summer event are continued. I am not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless. Doubly so now that those "outdated" ships have renewed value in the admiralty system.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    People are seriously ranting about this? I mean, pretty much everyone predicted that this would happen when they removed the pearls as the Summer Event currency. How can anyone actually be surprised by this?

And frankly, to read some of the nonsense here you'd think that those Evil Devs were saying "LOL! YOU GET NOTHING!" which is hardly the case.

Nope - sorry - this is impatience. This is sulking because of the removal of a shortcut. This is 'I don't want to wait'. This is 'I want free stuff but I want to as little as possible to get it so give me my shiny IMMEDIATELY!'.

People are seriously ranting about the rants? I mean, pretty much everyone predicted that this would happen when they removed the Risian ships as the Summer Event rewards. How can anyone actually be surprised by this?

*rolls eyes* Your words go both ways, reyan. Stick to the Valiant discussion, at least you make valid, debatable points there. There's a lot more that was removed than just a shortcut, just like it was with the summer event.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    meisterglanzmeisterglanz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    This sucks. I just started this year with the delta rising promo event and was counting on getting the Breen Carrier for my Fed Science character. I need to reconsider spending my time and money on this game.
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »
    People are seriously ranting about this? I mean, pretty much everyone predicted that this would happen when they removed the pearls as the Summer Event currency. How can anyone actually be surprised by this?

And frankly, to read some of the nonsense here you'd think that those Evil Devs were saying "LOL! YOU GET NOTHING!" which is hardly the case.

Nope - sorry - this is impatience. This is sulking because of the removal of a shortcut. This is 'I don't want to wait'. This is 'I want free stuff but I want to as little as possible to get it so give me my shiny IMMEDIATELY!'.

People are seriously ranting about the rants? I mean, pretty much everyone predicted that this would happen when they removed the Risian ships as the Summer Event rewards. How can anyone actually be surprised by this?

*rolls eyes* Your words go both ways, reyan. Stick to the Valiant discussion, at least you make valid, debatable points there. There's a lot more that was removed than just a shortcut, just like it was with the summer event.

Yeah.... I'll post where I please.

And please do elaborate - "a lot more was removed than just a shortcut" - I don't see it. All I see is that the 'Glossy photos' are being removed, meaning that players who stockpiled them can't use them as a shortcut to obtain this year's free ship and thus have to either 'grind' and wait a little longer for the freebie, or purchase lobi.

During this year's summer event, the Risian Corvette and Luxury Cruiser were retired, with the Nandi presumably scheduled to disappear next year. Similarly, the Chel Grett, Plesh Brek and Sarr Theln have been retired from this winter event's reward pool, and the Rezreth will likely be retired next winter.

The removal of the photos is an annoyance, I will admit that - but it is an annoyance that makes perfect sense and can't be removed anymore. It's the ships that are drawing most of the attention now. (Most of the rational attention, anyway. I don't remember what the response to the summer event was, and I don't remember all of the posts in this thread - but a substantial portion of the posts I've seen are focusing on the ships themselves.)

• Options
    geniciagenicia Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Wow there's a lot of elitist pricks like aesica around here. And most of their arguments can be summed up as, "I have the money to buy lockboxes and get lobi so that makes removing the ships and possibly making them lobi ships ok."
  • Options

Yeah.... I'll post where I please.

And please do elaborate - "a lot more was removed than just a shortcut" - I don't see it. All I see is that the 'Glossy photos' are being removed, meaning that players who stockpiled them can't use them as a shortcut to obtain this year's free ship and thus have to either 'grind' and wait a little longer for the freebie, or purchase lobi.

During this year's summer event, the Risian Corvette and Luxury Cruiser were retired, with the Nandi presumably scheduled to disappear next year. Similarly, the Chel Grett, Plesh Brek and Sarr Theln have been retired from this winter event's reward pool, and the Rezreth will likely be retired next winter.

The removal of the photos is an annoyance, I will admit that - but it is an annoyance that makes perfect sense and can't be removed anymore. It's the ships that are drawing most of the attention now. (Most of the rational attention, anyway. I don't remember what the response to the summer event was, and I don't remember all of the posts in this thread - but a substantial portion of the posts I've seen are focusing on the ships themselves.)

I don't own any of the Breen ships. To be frank, they were nothing groundbreaking. Same applies to the Risian ships. This year's Breen ship remains to be seen, especially since its liable to be T6.

And as I said (although I admittedly added it as an edit) - it seems to me that players don't care about free T5 ships until Cryptic says "you can't have them anymore".

Well, they're nothing groundbreaking, but... they do have their RP value, and now there's also Admiralty to think about. Anyway, with the Sarr Theln and Nandi being T6, the Rezreth is bound to be T6 - in fact, I think the Admiralty card already says it is T6.

Eh, part of the problem lies with the "I can always do it next year" aspect. If memory serves, I tried to get the Chel Grett the first year but was drawn away by SWTOR going F2P, was drawn away by something else when the Corvette showed up... there's always been something more important, or even an involuntary absence.

The one exception where I explicitly decided the Winter Event could go to hell was when I couldn't claim the account-wide Plesh Brek last year. Between that being broken and Delta Rising leaving an extremely poor impression... like I said a few pages ago, it took me until the Iconian War to return to the game, and I've only become an active player again with New Dawn. 4 and a half specialization points is nice, but it's no ship, and with Admiralty introducing an exceptional way of getting specialization points, that's even less valuable than it was before.

• Options
    genicia wrote: »
    Wow there's a lot of elitist pricks like aesica around here. And most of their arguments can be summed up as, "I have the money to buy lockboxes and get lobi so that makes removing the ships and possibly making them lobi ships ok."
    What? I'm a silver player who has literally never spent a dime on this game. I'm not an elitist, rofl. I'm just somebody who gets that these ships shouldn't be buyable on day 1 of an event, but at the end as a reward. As for actually removing the ships, again note that I'm neither for it or against it. The risa ships are borderline terrible, and the breen carrier is only "okay."

It's a shame that what was likely meant to be a fun, yearly gift from the devs has turned into some expected entitlement. WE WANT OUR FREE SHIPS!

Come on guys, there's more important things to get angry at, like wars, poverty, suffering, etc. It's just a game.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    More like a 'don't know you're losing something until it's gone' element if you ask me, but yeah.

• Options
    geniciagenicia Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    What? I'm a silver player who has literally never spent a dime on this game. I'm not an elitist, rofl. I'm just somebody who gets that these ships shouldn't be buyable on day 1 of an event, but at the end as a reward. As for actually removing the ships, again note that I'm neither for it or against it. The risa ships are borderline terrible, and the breen carrier is only "okay."

It's a shame that what was likely meant to be a fun, yearly gift from the devs has turned into some expected entitlement. WE WANT OUR FREE SHIPS!

Come on guys, there's more important things to get angry at, like wars, poverty, suffering, etc. It's just a game.

Yeah you're not for it or against it, the fact all your comments are making points for it is 100% purely coincidental./s Also your last comment is know as deflection.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Yeah you're not for it or against it, the fact all your comments are making points for it is 100% purely coincidental./s Also your last comment is know as deflection.
    Let's clarify: What I'm "for" is not allowing people so buy the event ship on day 1 with currency built up from last year. The decision to remove the older ships is what I'm neutral about.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Frankly, it's bad enough having to grind through these stupid, poorly designed and unbelievably boring events, but retiring items/ships that people actually want is just a ridiculously stupid thing. TRIBBLE being exclusive, give the people what they want and FFS, stop punishing people for being the eager beaver for next year's event.

Time to tell the soulless monsters at PWE to stop ruining the game.

It's no wonder STO is in such sad shape.

If you want to convince anyone that they shouldn't be making this change, it doesn't exactly help to attack both them and their hard work.
    patchoulol wrote: »
    If you're going to have one last year of something being available, which is available every year, it should be available the last year you inform people.

Completely agreed. I could accept that they give the warning that this year will be our last chance, allow us to slot the projects one last time and then make the change next year. It'd still mean that there are some people excluded from these ships next year, but at least everyone could have reasonably known and make use of that final chance.

Informing people when it's already too late seems wrong to me.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Bottom line...

The reason why they are doing this is to "herd" people into playing at least enough of the current event to earn whatever currency for the current year.
    It's all about their their precious metrics.

Honestly, I don't see what is wrong with stockpiling event currency, aside from the fact that it is (in theory) causing less of a turnout for the next event. But really... If someone is stockpliling this year, (IMO) they will be stockpiling for next year as well.

Having said that, though, there really is no further need to do that since event ships are now account unlocks and not per character.

In all fairness, I can see both sides of the coin. What I don't like is how Cryptic is essentially taking away a player's motivation to go above and beyond what their precious metrics tell them about player participation during an event, and trying to lessen the sting of the ship removal with an exchange system for the soon to be outdated currency.

Let's face it, the good stuff you can not even claim unless that character is already level 60.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I do think whoever came up with the idea of event ships being unlocked by one character and available to all but let us get them before you lock us out completely. Just like the we're locked out on the Kobali Prime Uniform, two of my toons where around for it, the other's, just out of luck.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    So if each ship requires its current year currency to avoid confusion, then what's the point in having the others as options if you can't obtain, say, 2013 currency in 2015?

The point is in making the currency retroactive. Cryptic wants people to start off on equal footing and actually wants people to grind it out each year. This means if you have 1000 units of 2014 that could ordinarily get you the ship on day 1, this year require the ship to be bought with 2015. people can still have their 2014 but it will only work for 2014 on back. This way they get the hoarding out of the picture and the rest of us don't get screwed over.
    Consider yourself an exception. There are far more cheapskates/minnows like me than there are people who will spend fair amounts of cash. I wager the average player isn't likely to spend more than $100 on this game during their entire time here. With a small budget like that, I doubt a new player would buy the lobi needed to acquire those ships when their money is better spent on current T6 ships. I can promise you, I wouldn't.

There are going to be alot of people who come aboard because of the free to play aspect that much is a given. however there's also going to be alot of people who end up dropping cash on the game as well. Simply because you yourself wouldn't spend the lobi or the cash doesn't mean everyone else should be denied that option. Yes there are alot of cheapskates but there are quite a few who will spend $20 here or $30 over there to get something. Even if they only spend on average $10 a month on the game, that's $120 a year. You would be surprised what people invest into in the gaming market. Either way, the rest of us should not be denied the option to do so. If you're the type of person that wouldn't bother, then why do you care if the rest of us would.
    I wouldn't see a problem with them putting the previous year ships (or at least consoles) in the lobi store. Maybe even the previous consoles in the summer/winter stores, respectively. However, one should note that none of the event ship consoles or set bonuses are all that impressive when compared to rep projects or even the iconian arc goodies. Plus, those consoles are only usable on the event ship groups they come from. Risa consoles only on Risa ships, Breen consoles only on Breen ships. It's not like anyone is missing out on something that will make their gaming experience better forever, like the red matter capacitor.

That may be your opinion but you do not speak for me. Simply because you don't like the ships does not mean the rest of us should be denied the option. Even outside the event there are pieces of gear tied to some event ships that are no longer or will no longer be obtainable. You've gone on and on about new players and what not. So what's the motivation of the new player to buy the command ships if he wants to complete the set? Why bother if he can't do it. Yes you can say "well it's a TRIBBLE set anyways" but to that I would simply say, so what if you don't like it. The rest of the people that do like it shouldn't be denied access to it. Even if as you say "it's not like anyone is missing out on something that will make their gaming experience better forever" new players and even several veteran players alike are being penalized straight from the get go if they attempt to acquire these sets.
    Believe me when I say the breen set is pretty much TRIBBLE. You're seriously not missing out on anything.

Who are you to try to make that decision for myself and everyone else. The sheer arrogance and outright elitism in that last comment is astounding and it's people like you that are what's wrong with this game. As I've said above, you may not like it but that's no reason to deny everyone else the option to pick up the ships. Even if someone isn't pulling "omg ub3r l33t dps" but are still getting stuff done, and having fun with their breen ships or what have you, then why does it matter to you. What of those people who want the Chel Grett as one example simply because it was featured on screen in the show? What of those people that just want to try a new ship but is a new player? I highly suspect you've not looked past your own nose long enough to think of that. You do not get to make that determination for anyone other than yourself. You need to get off your high horse VERY quickly lest you prove yourself even more of an elitist than you already have.

Simply because you don't like it or you think it's TRIBBLE is not a legitimate reason to deny that option to someone else.

• Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Anyone claiming to be surprised by this is either ignorant or has been living under a rock since the same changes happened to the summer event. I also have zero problems with Cryptic making ships and currencies exclusive to specific events. If you really want that ship, you will play otherwise don't complain afterwards.
    With that said, i would like to see one change that would both benefit Cryptic and the players. Put the consoles of the event ships that are part of sets in the lobi store. That way players still can complete their sets even without having the ships and Cryptic gets additional income.
    Bottom line...

The reason why they are doing this is to "herd" people into playing at least enough of the current event to earn whatever currency for the current year.
    It's all about their their precious metrics.

They unfortunately need those metrics to prove their overlord PWE that the development time for events and event ships is justified. Less players playing during events would mean in the long run less time for making events/event ships or even getting rid of events. This is unfortunately how things work these days.​​