What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Retiring Glossy Photos of Q

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    On the one hand, people complain that people that don't play get stuff like free ships, and say Cryptic never does anything for people that do play all the time.

The exclusive ships are pretty much exactly what they do for people that play the game - you were there to play the event? You're getting something all those johnny-come-latelies that needed a bribe to find back into the game will miss out forever.
    wylonus wrote: »
    one word, NO!!!!!!!
    this is very extremely pure evil, another stab in the back, are you devs killing older gamers, now some will not be looking forward to next year festivals.?

Why? You have to do it once on a single character, and then the ship becomes an account unlock and it's yours forever, even for future characters.

I have the Chel Grett slotted on three different characters. All of them are almost completed. I don't have any Raiders slotted, however, because this ship didn't fit my play style at the time, and the ships were still character unlocks back then. So I chose the ship I was most likely going to use, the Chel Grett.

No one could have foreseen, two years ago, that these ships and the currency to get them were going to be retired and that they would soon become an account wide unlock.
    Is it fair that people who were around at the time, but who chose to slot one specific ship only, don't have access to the other ships at all? I did the races on three characters, so I did work for them. Of course, with the knowledge I have know, I would have slotted the three different ships, one on each character. But that's some information we didn't have back then and thus it isn't reasonable that these ships are made unavailable and that it's only been announced when it's already too late.

I'd say it is in everyone's best interest, beside being the most reasonable thing to do, to allow everyone to slot the older ships one last time. At least now it's announced and we can keep in mind that this will be our final chance to get them. The ships are there, why unnecessarily disappoint players, who might even be willing to pay to get the ships? That's something I honestly don't get.
  • Options
    effaeldmeffaeldm Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I have all the Breen ships... I don't want those to be "exclusive", what for? For me to feel sorry that peoply around missed out? Or am I (and the others with the old ships) supposed to be happy about that? :)

If getting ships in 1 event run is an issue, perhaps - I think some (if not all) of these things were already said upthread, but to have a list:
    • Announcing the change while there's at least some time to slot the old ships, preferably significant enough to decrease people missing out, but at least some
    • More variable (+DOFFs, Admiralty cards, pets, etc.) and/or universal (like dil or marks) rewards for stockpiled things
    • Preferably providing these or perhaps similar ships in other ways (like Dyson, Obelisk and the Bug :))
    • Preferably making it generally useful to stockpile things, maybe across events and in the future as well - at least like point b), but maybe some special reward outside of the usual event ones. Something like "gathered X (preferably X being the minimum amount given for a run, or maybe different rewards for different X amounts) various rewards from each of Y (any) different events" - received a special ship or some other cool reward for such gatherers :) Having different rewards for a different quantity of events could provide additional interest in playing across a long time.
    • Very preferably giving a way to get a more universal reward, because losing a way to get a Sci ship you need and getting a new... Tac or Eng one - well, this is not going too well for about 2/3 of those who have something like a main character or wanted a ship for a specific one. At least a few differences like the main BOFF seat and consoles amounts etc. and maybe a sliiightly different visual could basically end up with 3 ships per event (make it 3 different projects if you like) - similarly to the plenty of similar-looking Dysons in the C-Store.
    could improve the situation - preferably all of these, but at least some.

Well, of course, I know it's a lot and not likely to be listened to, but got to try. This could both fix many situations related to the change and still keep the need to do the new event, particularly since anyway the new currency is needed for the new ship, and exclusivity or a measure of it depending on if/how providing similar ships gets done, and even provide an extra source of interest in the form of specifically and in its own way rewarding stockpiling - not as an either/or with each new event's runs, but both.

[Edited to add one more point to the list]
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I'm not surprised that the ships are being retired from the events. Every game retires certain things after awhile so that much isn't really a shocker to me.

I have to say though, removing in progress projects from people does not sit well with me in the slightest. It would have been better imo to just let the new currency count towards currently slotted projects as well. Since there was no way to slot a new project this would have been a better thing imo.

Also it does not set well that there's been no warning of the ships being retired in either this case, or the summer event until we were right on top of it. As others have suggested it would have been better to allow this to be the final year for the ships. Such as for this winter event, after this year they will no longer be available. I get it that eventually Cryptic wants to retire stuff after awhile but this just seems like an unexpected uppercut.

I personally would like to see them go to lobi ships much similar to how the dyson science and obelisk did after they went out of service/project. If not lobi then I would drop cash on a breen 3 pack or something along those lines. Overall I think that too much exclusivity in this instance is a bad thing.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Cutting off people who have the ship slotted and nearly complete is the worst idea anyone could think of, considering the lack of warning.
    6e5OTnq.png
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    Only a littlie Damning.. 4 chars with 1000+ pics, 6 chars with 300 or so.. all that work- PWE/Cryptic "liking" our efforts as always, Grind online?
  • Options
    deathjester73deathjester73 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Note to self for future: Never give anything to fleet bank because everyone will need it later when you need it back. My own fault and stupidity.
  • Options
    effaeldmeffaeldm Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The problem with giving players "one last chance" to get the previous ship(s), is that there would always be someone asking for "one last chance" because [insert excuse here as to why they missed it before]. If an exception were granted for this year, it would be used as the basis of an argument for granting an exception the next year. Players were told during the summer that this was going to happen, so if Cryptic is going to retire them, then just retire them. No "last chance" promotions.

Now, that's not to say that I support that decision. I don't agree at all with retiring rewards, or one-time only rewards that cannot be reclaimed. I do not see the problem with allowing the winter/summer ship or CC/MI projects to be done indefinitely. Especially when Cryptic runs new player recruitment promotions like Delta Rising. I just don't see how it's advantageous to Cryptic to deny rewards to newer players.

^This, right here!

We, the community should do something until Cryptic does this.

How about a compromise?

Cryptic can have it there way and make new economies for the ships and events, and in return, they just allow us to get whatever ship we want. Either the new ship for the event, or, some of the old ships.

And its not like players wouldn't play anymore. Unless you have at least 5 toons its not like you could do all the ships in one event. AND even if you do run and claim every ship in one event, there would be a new ship next year so you would always come back.

What do you all think?

Yes, this could be even better than points 1 and 3 from my list http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/12775691/#Comment_12775691 above, and for some players better than point 5 as well. Or perhaps they could take some ideas from both you and me... and many others here.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    This is just as much of a stupid idea as it was back when you did the same thing for the summer event... exclusive ships are bad.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Retire the currency each year, not the rewards. Make new currency backwards compatible, capable of completing previous years' projects, but old currency cannot be used for the current year's project. That alone would resolve the stockpiling issue and prevent players from preloading for next year.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Hmm... So each event ship is worth 5 spec points or 20 large tech upgrades ? And they're toon bound ?

Luckily I can use both of them.
    Wanna buy back all the ornaments and beads too ?
    :)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    We want to maintain the exclusivity and collectability of the event ships from the Winter Event each year

Why?

This sums it up to a tee. I assume its to stop stockpiling of the resources for it, though I've seen plenty of games which have events with plenty of resources that handle this sort of thing infinitely better, either by capping resources or by giving plenty to spend on, as with the other currencies, so that you couldn't earn enough across all characters in a single season anyway.
  • Options
    kaspa000kaspa000 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I have the i have 2 of the Breen ships but missed last years winter event. So there will be no way for me to get the Breen carrier?
    Who made the pool yellow? :confused:
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    Disappointed but unsurprised. I have all the ships already but this whole 'exclusivity' thing is utter TRIBBLE. Nobody who has the ships will be upset if someone who joins later in the game gets them as well, it's just a transparent attempt to get people spending lobi to get the ships a few days early. I highly doubt it actually works though, the people who kept grinding last year in preparation for this year are not the types of people to spend real money to get a few days ahead.

Not that there's any point in complaining about it, everything was said back in summer and Cryptic made it abundantly clear then that they don't care.
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    farshore wrote: »
    You'll let us spend lobi to get photos to get ahead, but if we run the event years ahead of time on multiple characters, that's no good?

They changed the event so completing ONCE now unlocks for ALL CHARACTERS including FUTURE ALTS you create months or years later.

Cryptic has done something very nice for us. You should be happy about that.
    I'd rather they keep the ships character unlocks, but just make all Winter Event ships available to earn each year. The whole "maintaining exclusivity and collectability" stuff is nonsense.

For one, there's no need for these to be one-year exclusive ships. Making it so that the older ships are never to be obtainable again by newer players restricts content for no legitimate reason other than the "because we can" excuse. Plus, "collectability"? HAH! These Breen ships all have a console set that provides bonuses. By making these ships one-year exclusives, if you happen to miss one ship for reasons like travelling or otherwise, one can never get the ship(s) again. Thus, one cannot "collect" them to complete the set because once the event is over, they're gone for good.

The same issue occurred with the Kobali Samsar, an event ship. The Samsar's console is needed for the 4-piece bonus with the Command Battlecruisers/Warbirds, all C-Store ships. Because the Samsar is no longer obtainable by any means, it is now impossible for anyone who missed the event to complete this set.

Really, all this does is create more restrictions for the newer/average player and discourages them from wanting to actually go out and participate in these events. For God's sake Cryptic, just make all Summer event ships available to earn every Summer event, all Winter event ships earnable during each Winter event, and the same with Anniversary events. It just makes the game a lot easier and more enjoyable for those players who happened to miss these events, for whatever reasons.

• Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    kaspa000 wrote: »
    I have the i have 2 of the Breen ships but missed last years winter event. So there will be no way for me to get the Breen carrier?
    Nope, and that's exactly the problem with this new policy...
  • Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The problem with giving players "one last chance" to get the previous ship(s), is that there would always be someone asking for "one last chance" because [insert excuse here as to why they missed it before]. If an exception were granted for this year, it would be used as the basis of an argument for granting an exception the next year. Players were told during the summer that this was going to happen, so if Cryptic is going to retire them, then just retire them. No "last chance" promotions.

Now, that's not to say that I support that decision. I don't agree at all with retiring rewards, or one-time only rewards that cannot be reclaimed. I do not see the problem with allowing the winter/summer ship or CC/MI projects to be done indefinitely. Especially when Cryptic runs new player recruitment promotions like Delta Rising. I just don't see how it's advantageous to Cryptic to deny rewards to newer players.

On the whole I do see the logic in your point (Though I should admit I have all event ships Summer, Winter, and Anniversary so perhaps that clouds my perspective), however I would point out one thing about this particular case. While I felt for newer players last summer, at least with the Risian ships, they had a finished console set. No new Risian ship was being offered where a newer player could only ever get a single part of it, instead we got a Ferengi ship. However, assuming the rumors are true and I'm pretty sure they are, we are getting at least one final Breen ship this year whose console will most likely be the fourth part of the Breen event ship set. To me and many others this is no big deal as we have all the ships, but for a new player who can get this new Breen ship but will never be able to finish the console set I can understand why that would be very frustrating. (Which is simmilar to those who cannot complete the command cruiser set beacuse they don't have the Samsar) Seeing as this new ship will also be retired at the end of this year (Per the new system) and the fact that it will probably be the last Breen ship (We've never had a five console set as far as I know and aside from a pure non-carrier sci ship I think we have a Breen ship of every variety with the inclusion this year's dread) I think it would have been nice of Cryptic to offer all Breen ships one last time so anyone, old or new, could complete the set. Then the Breen line would be retired in its entirety. Well, thats just my humble opinion anyway, I'm just grateful now that I decided to finish the raider last year along with the Sarr Theln. :)

As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    knerdy wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that the ships are being retired from the events. Every game retires certain things after awhile so that much isn't really a shocker to me.

I have to say though, removing in progress projects from people does not sit well with me in the slightest. It would have been better imo to just let the new currency count towards currently slotted projects as well. Since there was no way to slot a new project this would have been a better thing imo.

Also it does not set well that there's been no warning of the ships being retired in either this case, or the summer event until we were right on top of it. As others have suggested it would have been better to allow this to be the final year for the ships. Such as for this winter event, after this year they will no longer be available. I get it that eventually Cryptic wants to retire stuff after awhile but this just seems like an unexpected uppercut.

I personally would like to see them go to lobi ships much similar to how the dyson science and obelisk did after they went out of service/project. If not lobi then I would drop cash on a breen 3 pack or something along those lines. Overall I think that too much exclusivity in this instance is a bad thing.

You missed this:

What if I have a partial Winter Reputation project in progress?

Those of you that already have a winter ship project in progress from a previous year’s event WILL NOT lose any progress, and can simply finish that project either with your existing Autographs, or with the new currency when it arrives.
    kaspa000 wrote: »
    knerdy wrote: »

You missed this:

What if I have a partial Winter Reputation project in progress?

Those of you that already have a winter ship project in progress from a previous year’s event WILL NOT lose any progress, and can simply finish that project either with your existing Autographs, or with the new currency when it arrives.

There's your answer.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    Great, so they're 'retiring' a series of ships with inter-connected consoles forming a set... If you don't have them all, so much for forming the console set...

When, if ever, are we likely to see some sort of 'last chance' event to gain those event ships people have missed out on?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    not surprised
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    This is a bit fubar'd. 2 years ago you had to earn each ship on each toon- so it was grind city, then they changed it to a account unlock last year. I thought they really wanted people to play more. Whose gonna bother to grind on multiple toons when all they need is to unlock an item on one toon for an account wide unlock ?

Makes no sense.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Maybe there will be "event ship reruns" at some point? Like with the limited time fleet holding projects now?

Just a wild guess.

Though that may collide with this new "maintain the exclusivity and collectability" motto.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    kelettes wrote: »
    Maybe there will be "event ship reruns" at some point? Like with the limited time fleet holding projects now?

Just a wild guess.

Though that may collide with this new "maintain the exclusivity and collectability" motto.

My guess is they'll end up in the lobi store, to get more players to play lockbox lottery.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    We went through all this same angst before the Summer Event and anyone who did not believe that this wasn't going to happen for the Winter Event is foolish to say the least. PR wise they could have just added a statement to the Summer Announcement, that this method will be also used for the Winter Event, but alas they didn't.

Now to the point in hand - retiring a T6 ship already is ridiculous, again to say the least. And if they pull this with the Samsar they really ought to start putting the Console/Core, etc. type of stuff into the Dilitium Reclaim Store, so we don't end up with another Dyson Destroyer debacle (available in the Lobi Store, then account unlock).

As far as the 'making this ships more exclusive' horse hockey, they used similar language when removing the Reputation Marks Turn in projects from being eligible for Bonus Dilitium during any Dilitium Events to 'make those projects more valuable throughout the year'; essentially by making them all the same value of a lesser degree.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    For those who are questioning:

Keep in mind that they want 25 log-ins this year, not once to claim and see you in 6 months for Risa...

And then for those who stockpiled on multiple alts, they can repeat this each year for however many alts years...

This is why they're going "exclusive currency for each year"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    Perhaps, to soften the blow, the new "Q items" can be exchanged for admiralty cards of the old give away ships.

That way the devs don't have to make 3-4 year old projects compatible with new currency and the players get access to the event ship admiralty cards which generally have pretty good stats.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    hamishmacdoogalhamishmacdoogal Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    We went through all this for the Risa Summer event and it was hinted then that this would be the same transition for the winter event. No surprise here. The alts only had to run the event once to claim the ship - now they don;t have to run it at all to claim it. That was a good call. No one wants to spend summer vacation in front of a computer grinding, and while winter means more time indoors, its also the hectic holiday season, so not much time to grind then either.
    I had originally hoped that by grinding twice as hard in one season, I could spend the next season doing holiday stuff. Now we are forced to choose between either time grinding on the computer or time with family/friends. Darn those pesky priorities.

One last thing: Those ridiculous space emotes - have not seen them used by players when they were offered in the summer. why? because they are even lamer than calling your ship the USS Hairypants. Developers: take the hint.
  • Options
    geniciagenicia Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Just when I thought the devs couldn't be worse. Chances are we're going to see these ships become lobi ships in about four or five months, or worse yet c-store T6 versions for 3000 zen.
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Stupid and mean spirited to not allow players to choose which ship they want depending on which event is active. Especially when certain "retired" ships have consoles needed to complete sets that are bought and paid for. This just proves even more how little they think of their customer base.