test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Glossy Photos of Q

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    beraht wrote: »
    Cutting off people who have the ship slotted and nearly complete is the worst idea anyone could think of, considering the lack of warning.

How is telling us about a month in advance the old ships are being retired a "lack of warning"?

Also, don't cancel your partially completed projects for the old ships. The FAQ says:
    What if I have a partial Winter Reputation project in progress?

Those of you that already have a winter ship project in progress from a previous year’s event WILL NOT lose any progress, and can simply finish that project either with your existing Autographs, or with the new currency when it arrives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    All I can say is, I hope they change the winter event. I HATE, I HATE, I HATE... doing that stupid, god-awful race for event currency.
    33wmfyp.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,804 Community Moderator
    Cutting off people who have the ship slotted and nearly complete is the worst idea anyone could think of, considering the lack of warning.

How is telling us about a month in advance the old ships are being retired a "lack of warning"?

It's a lack of warning in the fact that it was given after it was already too late to do anything about it. Folks who were unable to complete the projects last year or even start them will no longer be able to do so. Had they stated that with this past event something along the lines of "be sure to get your projects this year because this is your last chance" then it would be understandable. Overall as I've said before I think this is a heavy handed thing for a simple fix.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    This is a really rotten decision to expand this policy. It hurts both old players and new players (albeit for different reasons)

Old players who 'hoarded' the autographs? This actively punishes them for having participated in the winter/summer/whatever event for longer than the minimum necessary to receive the ship.

New players? They can't get these old ships no matter what-and keeps them from completing various set bonuses that the ships have through their consoles.

I don't like the idea of this whole 'exclusivity' thing either. I think that if a player is willing to grind twice as hard to get last years ship and this year's ship, then they should-reward them for their devotion!

If Cryptic was convinced that 'hoarding' was a problem, alright-but keeping players from getting the previous years ships seems like something that should have been announced during the winter event, and implemented in the NEXT winter event (ditto for the summer event) so that players at least had fair warning and had a last chance to 'catch up' on the ships. This just seems needlessly....nasty.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Our goal for this change is to ensure that everyone participates on equal footing for the release of each year's new ship.
    Why? Will advanced gear be confiscated and redistributed among the players in the event as well? You know, for the sake of an even playing field.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    it made me think that i am right, they are not humans, they are from Planet Grinchia, these pointy head furry little goblins who dognapped poor captian archer's beagle, Porthos, being forced to wear fake anthers.

so we have to beg Q to rescue Porthos and send him back where it belong, it got too much Butterfly Paradoxes.

anyway, that list doesnt appeal to me to give up Q signature pics, i would like to get unique universal console instead or few more lobi crystals.
  • captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    ^ what they said.
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• mobiusnp118mobiusnp118 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Hoarding is not my issue and it shouldnot be Cryptic's issue.
    But yeah, a very late decision that should have been announced last year but now, it's a TRIBBLE-move.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User

It's a lack of warning in the fact that it was given after it was already too late to do anything about it. Folks who were unable to complete the projects last year or even start them will no longer be able to do so. Had they stated that with this past event something along the lines of "be sure to get your projects this year because this is your last chance" then it would be understandable. Overall as I've said before I think this is a heavy handed thing for a simple fix.

Ahem. Did I miss something?

The post seemingly "clearly states" that those who have an outstanding project will be able to complete it this winter, with either leftover Q-pictures or the "2015 currency".

The only ones being "hung out to dry" are those who have not even slotted the previous event ships. Because of their "Retirement", the ability to slot the project will not exist on day one of this winter's event...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • mdm454mdm454 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Lame Cryptic, Lame.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I want to say that there is some degree of hypocrisy in this decision.
    "Exclusivity" doesn't seem to be an issue these days (Leech, anyone?).
    Nay.
    So why start now?
    I say let previous WE ships be available for acquisition so that NEW and FUTURE players can enjoy them, too.
    Miss a ship?
    Have the option to get it.

Don't punish the players for a non-issue that you, yourselves, ignore.

EDIT: Don't nerf the Epohh trade-in rewards for Marks.
    I'd like to believe you're better than that, Cryptic.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
    One word sums this change up: BULLSH*T!
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So sayeth the metrics!

All hail the metrics!

All will love the metrics and despair!

The metrics demand your obedience!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    Read the bottom of my signature... 'nuff said.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    Enter... The Metrix!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    dareau wrote: »

Ahem. Did I miss something?

The post seemingly "clearly states" that those who have an outstanding project will be able to complete it this winter, with either leftover Q-pictures or the "2015 currency".

The only ones being "hung out to dry" are those who have not even slotted the previous event ships. Because of their "Retirement", the ability to slot the project will not exist on day one of this winter's event...

That's not what what I was asking. The thing I was asking is this, what if someone is for whatever reason, still unable to complete the project this year even if it's by 1 currency item. Are they then going to lose that project. if not then what does that mean?

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

• badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Was kindof expecting this since the same change was made for the summer event, I've got plenty of glossy photo's saved up, can't wait to spend them, (drool, drooooool)
    This is a really rotten decision to expand this policy. It hurts both old players and new players (albeit for different reasons)

Old players who 'hoarded' the autographs? This actively punishes them for having participated in the winter/summer/whatever event for longer than the minimum necessary to receive the ship.

New players? They can't get these old ships no matter what-and keeps them from completing various set bonuses that the ships have through their consoles.

I don't like the idea of this whole 'exclusivity' thing either. I think that if a player is willing to grind twice as hard to get last years ship and this year's ship, then they should-reward them for their devotion!

If Cryptic was convinced that 'hoarding' was a problem, alright-but keeping players from getting the previous years ships seems like something that should have been announced during the winter event, and implemented in the NEXT winter event (ditto for the summer event) so that players at least had fair warning and had a last chance to 'catch up' on the ships. This just seems needlessly....nasty.

Sticking consoles and things such as that on ships that can no longer be obtained is absolutely a bad deal. it takes away incentive to even buy those items as the full set cannot be completed. I can understand having certain achievements or something simple like that which can be exclusive. that much I wouldn't mind because it's just an achievement.

I get why they may want to retire certain rewards and what not such as some of the ships out there. ships like the ambassador or old school odyssey I can see. Personally I actually have the Samsar and I don't want it to be an exclusive ship at the cost of preventing others from completing the 4 set.

I agree on the hoarding deal. I can get it if that's the thing and they want people to use that year's currency. The whole deal seems like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer. This is one thing that I just cannot support that they're doing.

• patchoulolpatchoulol Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Is there a Ruining Christmas Department at Cryptic Studios?

Last year's winter event is the only one I've missed. Now this post is telling me any work to complete the Breen set over the past few years is forfeit because I was busy last Christmas, but cheer up, because photos now count as latinum.

No, just...no. If you're going to have one last year of something being available, which is available every year, it should be available the last year you inform people. Besides which, why? Nobody with an old T5U Breen ship cares if somebody else unlocks it years after they're bored with it. Nobody just joining the game deserves to get fewer gifts for Christmas.

Reading this was like a punch in the gut, honestly.
    edited November 2015
    Frankly, it's bad enough having to grind through these stupid, poorly designed and unbelievably boring events, but retiring items/ships that people actually want is just a ridiculously stupid thing. TRIBBLE being exclusive, give the people what they want and FFS, stop punishing people for being the eager beaver for next year's event.

Time to tell the soulless monsters at PWE to stop ruining the game.

It's no wonder STO is in such sad shape.
    sov42 wrote: »
    Frankly, it's bad enough having to grind through these stupid, poorly designed and unbelievably boring events, but retiring items/ships that people actually want is just a ridiculously stupid thing. TRIBBLE being exclusive, give the people what they want and FFS, stop punishing people for being the eager beaver for next year's event.

Time to tell the soulless monsters at PWE to stop ruining the game.

It's no wonder STO is in such sad shape.
    I agree!

• ereddainereddain Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Why aren't you letting us choose which of the Breen ship we may get on Christmas? Its unfair for those who're waiting all year to get some ship and hear that you wont give it anymore. It's not how Christmas works STO :(
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    We want to maintain the exclusivity and collectability of the event ships from the Winter Event each year

The best response to this I can think of is my friend's reaction. He loves Star Trek, played for a while until he got tired of this game, then wanted to see about coming back with the new additions and Winter Event coming. When he saw this, his reaction was, "I guess they don't want me to come back."

"Collectability" and "exclusivity" of digital goods don't exist, and locking both new and potentially returning players out of things they might want is...ill-advised.

Edit: I hate this idea even as I type it for several reasons, but what about adding legacy event ships as an account unlock for gold and up subscribers? Add a 6 month lag or so (this Christmas ship would be available around the next summer event) before a ship officially becomes "legacy" so that people don't just skip straight to getting the latest one.

This would at least make ships available to players who miss it, but also benefit players who play for it by 1) not forcing them to pay and 2) letting them get the ship benefits a lot sooner.
    Post edited by blazeritter on
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    I just came here to read all the "boohoo the 960 photos I saved up last year so I could have this year's ship on day one was done for nothing!" comments I knew this announcement would bring. I'm not disappointed. ;)
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • xoelloexoelloe Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    I just came here to read all the "boohoo the 960 photos I saved up last year so I could have this year's ship on day one was done for nothing!" comments I knew this announcement would bring. I'm not disappointed. ;)

Yep. Most of the peeps whining here will be doing the same next year, and after(if the game still exists). There is always something to complain about. Bring on the Winter Event, let the whining stop!
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I was gonna post a long rant. But know barely anyone is gonna read it. So gonna try and keep it short.
    We want to maintain the exclusivity and collectability of the event ships from the Winter Event each year,
    maintain the exclusivity and collectability
    Please stop using these words together.

Exclusivity = Limited number/limited chance of getting
    Collectability = Capable of being collected

These two words don't belong together. I know someone can proberly start talking about collectable cards like... pokemon? and how there are rare cards that was only a limited number of.
    Yeah, those rare cards aren't collectable then, they are just something for the lucky few. Its the other normal cards are the collectables as long as they are in production. And once production on those stops, they are only gonna get more rare and exclusive aswell.

But seriously, stop removing content and rewards.
    I already got the ships, I know I won't loose them. So not loosing any rewards myself.
    But new players don't have the chance of getting them, they have less overall content available than me.
    I enjoy playing this game. I've been playing since closed beta and I've been a lifetimer since the game went live. I've not missed a single event.
    But I hate having to tell new people how they can't get the same awesome things I got, since the things that rewarded them doesn't return.

Warrior Goatee(the best looking goatee in the game)? sorry, you can't have.
    A Klingon sash on federation side? Sorry, your Fed klingon will have to go without.
    Featured Episode Replay rewards? No idea why the replay stopped.
    Other random reward that you can't get? Sorry, I know it sucks.

So, do you want to add Collectability? Don't remove the option to get the items.
    If its a once a year event, its still collectable. But removing the option to get them entirely, isn't collectable, then its just exclusive.

(inB4 the "Mine! Mine! Mine! I want exclhurrrrderpsive things no one else can get! They should just have joined earlyer" groups.)
    Well, guess my post did end up a bit long... /rant end
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
    ^^

inigomontoya.jpg

Basically this. :3
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    So much delicious hate pig-6.gifpig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    I was gonna post a long rant. But know barely anyone is gonna read it. So gonna try and keep it short.
    Please stop using these words together.

Exclusivity = Limited number/limited chance of getting
    Collectability = Capable of being collected

These two words don't belong together. I know someone can proberly start talking about collectable cards like... pokemon? and how there are rare cards that was only a limited number of.
    Yeah, those rare cards aren't collectable then,
    Okay, cutting the rest because you (and many others) don't seem to understand what exactly gives "collectible" goods their value. Limited-run items can indeed be considered collectible during their period of availability because one of collectible's definitions is, good for a collection : considered valuable by collectors. A limited-run item has value to collectors and is therefore collectible. Nowhere does it say collectible items must be continuously available for anyone to collect. If anyone could acquire them at any time, would they really still have collector value?
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So you guys want to make sure we do the full grind every year. Fine, whatever. But don't make ships (or any other content for that matter) totally unavailable for newer players, that's silly.

Other people have ranted far more eloquently than me, so I'll just leave it at that.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■