test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agony Rifle = weaponized torture as a event reward?? turn in option please.

hakazehakaze Member Posts: 81 Media Corps
It's one thing to shoot someone because they are your enemy, but seriously? A weapon that entraps you, and tortures you to death while unable to move? Sorry Game or not this goes way to far for me O_O

PLEAAAASE Cryptic can't you add a hand in option to switch it for the mirror shotgun? This thing is just too sick.

CTFrtS8UwAAyFY7.png:large
ktamradio If you are looking for some nice music while playing clicky clicky click!

mWKbuCx.png

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    It's just a rifle version of the stasis pistol.

Basically if you get hit with the secondary you become immune to damage for X time. The damage done... well... if you use the secondary you'll just be making X longer to kill.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    It's just a rifle version of the stasis pistol.

Basically if you get hit with the secondary you become immune to damage for X time. The damage done... well... if you use the secondary you'll just be making X longer to kill.

it's more the in game explanation of how it works that is repulsive O_o "after suffering the effects of an Agony field" doesn't really help keeping my lunch in either X_X
    ktamradio If you are looking for some nice music while playing clicky clicky click!

mWKbuCx.png
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Don't take this the wrong way but, of all the more disturbing things that happen in this game, THIS is the one that bothers you. In the lore the mirror universe always had what's known as agony chambers, portable agonizers and so on. for the mirror universe in game this is nothing new at all and is actually conceivably something that the Terran Empire would have invented at some point. I honestly find it more disturbing that when assimilated by the Borg they use no anesthetics as demonstrated by Voyager and you lose your individuality, than I find this rifle. If it bothers you that much you don't have to use the rifle.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I've got no ethical judgement with weapons, I'll use the rifle
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      Don't take this the wrong way but, of all the more disturbing things that happen in this game, THIS is the one that bothers you. In the lore the mirror universe always had what's known as agony chambers, portable agonizers and so on. for the mirror universe in game this is nothing new at all and is actually conceivably something that the Terran Empire would have invented at some point. I honestly find it more disturbing that when assimilated by the Borg they use no anesthetics as demonstrated by Voyager and you lose your individuality, than I find this rifle. If it bothers you that much you don't have to use the rifle.

I was under the impression that because the conversion progress causes the nanites to block nerve signals it would override pain receptors too. I guess that aint the case then Q_Q

mWKbuCx.png
    • Options
      angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      I understand where you are coming from OP and it's certainly questionable to have all the supposed prime starfleet chars run around suing agony rifles, but then again there is no logic in STO. It's just a theme park and a colourful pile of memorabilia and the agony rifle is a nod to the mirror universe, the flavour texts have no real in-game meaning anyway.

Besides, you probably desintegrate or slowly posion people with radiation and gas to death all the time. If you play a science char, all the science at your disposal is just there to kill people in creative and cruel ways, so...​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • Options
      angrytarg wrote: »
      I understand where you are coming from OP and it's certainly questionable to have all the supposed prime starfleet chars run around suing agony rifles, but then again there is no logic in STO. It's just a theme park and a colourful pile of memorabilia and the agony rifle is a nod to the mirror universe, the flavour texts have no real in-game meaning anyway.

Besides, you probably desintegrate or slowly posion people with radiation and gas to death all the time. If you play a science char, all the science at your disposal is just there to kill people in creative and cruel ways, so...​​

Actually I only use science healing and buff ability and replaced the gas and what not with the plasma feedback cascade and the hippy crystal grenade, exactly because that stuff didn't sit quite right with me X_X although I do carry delovene to buff my melee loving friend :P

mWKbuCx.png
    • Options
      thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User

Well... why wouldn't Starfleet use it? Seems like a go to weapon if you want the target alive... in agony.... ha... ha... ha...
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • Options
      kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
      What about a button-and-a-wall-monitor weapon? You know, just making an enemy disappear in a flash.
    • Options
      potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
      This is a thinly veiled plea to trade in that garbage gun for the shotgun.

says lots about the OP
    • Options
      shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
      If this rifle bothers you then whatever you do, don't play Mortal Kombat X , Day Z , Dead Space trilogy or any of the other games that deal in more blood, guts and torture than sto would produce. What are we talking about here anyway? A bunch of pixels that randomly emote being tortured? That's it? If the target's head explodes or if the body itself blasts a fountain of blood all over the screen I could see how some would get a little squeamish but this really seems like an over reaction to something that could be alot worse. Hell I am in agony over the fact I can't get the rifle!
      "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
    • Options
      bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
      edited November 2015

although what you say about the riffle is true, I cant see anyone from the star trek prime universe using such a weapon, sure they might use the beam but never the agony field as such this weapon is only good as half a standard weapon in the hands of a star fleet officer.
      its also true that what the borg do to assimilate an individual is even worse but don't forget borg are the quintessential bad guys and bad guys don't play by star fleet rules, star fleet are the good guys and would never forcibly impose their will on another race.
      that's why its normal for mirror universe terrans to use agonizer weapons they are after all the bad guys.

I would discard this item rather then equip any of my characters or their boffs with it.

when copying technology from alien races I believe that any weapon that inflicts unnecessary suffering like this would never be allowed, after all star fleet never starts a conflict they only use weapons for defence, if there is a diplomatic solution they would always use that first and foremost.

I don't even believe that Klingons or romulans would use such a weapon they would think anyone who did use it without honour.
      even cardasians would shun it.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
      daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      kayajay wrote: »
      What about a button-and-a-wall-monitor weapon? You know, just making an enemy
      disappear in a flash.

That would be the "Tantalus Device".

mirrormirrorhd1229.jpg
      B)

STO Member since February 2009.
      I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
      Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
      upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    • Options
      darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User

says lots about the OP

LOL I'd be all for that swap, rather have the shotgun on the toons that don't have it.
    • Options

says lots about the OP

I don't need the shotgun I got the sniper rifle with 100% penetration to fight borg :O and assuming the worst of people right of the bat? not very star fleet of you ! :O

although what you say about the riffle is true, I cant see anyone from the star trek prime universe using such a weapon, sure they might use the beam but never the agony field as such this weapon is only good as half a standard weapon in the hands of a star fleet officer.
      its also true that what the borg do to assimilate an individual is even worse but don't forget borg are the quintessential bad guys and bad guys don't play by star fleet rules, star fleet are the good guys and would never forcibly impose their will on another race.
      that's why its normal for mirror universe terrans to use agonizer weapons they are after all the bad guys.

I would discard this item rather then equip any of my characters or their boffs with it.

Personally I'd rather put it on a plaque with a description of where it's from and what it does, as a reminder of what it stands for and that a star fleet officer should do what they can to prevent suffering when it is possible :O

mWKbuCx.png
    • Options
      officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
      Did anyone else see when shrimphead changed out the ed grimley avatar to a more sophisticated looking martin short character his posts sound more intelligent and mature.

This is meant to be a compliment, so kudos keep it up!
    • Options
      seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      I'm really just running this even for the marks and Dilithium. My KDF Rom might use this, but my feds will just chuck it in the bank and forget about it.

It's certainly not a weapon that screams 'Starfleet.'
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • Options
      I'm really just running this even for the marks and Dilithium. My KDF Rom might use this, but my feds will just chuck it in the bank and forget about it.

It's certainly not a weapon that screams 'Starfleet.'
      the TOS Klingons maybe but the 25th century klingons seem to be all about honor and respecting art again, which is a seriously conflicting with their doff assignment which are still about executing changelings and robbing starfleet XD

mWKbuCx.png
    • Options
      shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      Did anyone else see when shrimphead changed out the ed grimley avatar to a more sophisticated looking martin short character his posts sound more intelligent and mature.

This is meant to be a compliment, so kudos keep it up!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=98MNisZJyFI

Enjoy my friend! :)

P.S. Took out the video and left the link so as not to kill anyone's bandwidth.
      "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
    • Options
      farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
      "Laugh maniacally while in use"
    • Options
      farshore wrote: »
      "Laugh maniacally while in use"

... at least some people seem to have fun with it? O_O'''

mWKbuCx.png
    • Options
      storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
      For real???monkey-38.gif
      This needs to be put into more illustrative words:

https://youtu.be/LQCU36pkH7c​​
      tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    • Options
      sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

yes, nothing is logic in this game, like the players who can use the heralds ground skills; the heralds were modified to be able to use this technology, but the players can use it without problems (solar gateway etc ..)

do like me, forget all the illogical stuff, and play like you want. :) in the voth bz, I try to avoid all these false heralds :p
    • Options
      royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
      Kudos to the OP for RP'ing some ethics. I'd suggest you toss the thing in your bank, and in your own head maybe you have a 'agonizer rifle burning party' on Risa or something where you dispose of them all.

My Starfleet toons will probably do this - not much reason to use the thing anyway. Well, except for my Mirror Universe Engineer - can I get five of 'em so the whole away team can use 'em? :D

I don't think my Roms would have any qualms about it - it was made plainly clear in several episodes that torture was perfectly acceptable. And klinks, despite the Worf-and-later focus on the bushido-like honor system, started out in TOS with things like the Mind Sifter.
      "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
      --Red Annorax
    • Options
      hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
      hakaze wrote: »

Actually I only use science healing and buff ability and replaced the gas and what not with the plasma feedback cascade and the hippy crystal grenade, exactly because that stuff didn't sit quite right with me X_X although I do carry delovene to buff my melee loving friend :P

I have to say after reading some of your posts. Your a better man than me. I say park up about 5 romulan scimitars, Thalaron weapon cascade activated and vap the whole planet. Watch thier faces melt off. Prime or mirrior, mwa ha ha ha ha.

• Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      Maybe they could use that Prototype Collector Ferengi as a turn-in.

Though... uh... what will he do with them?
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Without commenting on the original issue (which I do understand but not necessarily share - it is up to my captains to decide if there is no order from above to use or not use them):
      If this rifle bothers you then whatever you do, don't play Mortal Kombat X , Day Z , Dead Space trilogy or any of the other games that deal in more blood, guts and torture than sto would produce.

Ehm, I don't - and I fail to see what other games and their gore or potentially morally questionable content have to do with STO?
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • Options
      storules wrote: »
      For real???monkey-38.gif
      This needs to be put into more illustrative words:

https://youtu.be/LQCU36pkH7c​​
      unfortunately because you didn't even bother to include a quote it's hard to say who you actually mean with that O
      Maybe they could use that Prototype Collector Ferengi as a turn-in.

Though... uh... what will he do with them?
      I'd like to put it in a museum after having its energy source remove to prevent it from being used right away if stolen by some crazed collector. Say a exposition on abuse of technology or something like that :O

mWKbuCx.png
    • Options
      darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator

when copying technology from alien races I believe that any weapon that inflicts unnecessary suffering like this would never be allowed, after all star fleet never starts a conflict they only use weapons for defence, if there is a diplomatic solution they would always use that first and foremost.

I don't even believe that Klingons or romulans would use such a weapon they would think anyone who did use it without honour.
      even cardasians would shun it.

I would also remind you that there are various settings you can place a weapon on in the star trek lore. Several times in the show we see the crews adjusting the power level of the phasers they're using, anywhere from stun, heavy stun, to kill. The same could be said from a lore standpoint with the agonizer rifles.

The point of the mirror universe is it's like looking into a mirror. So for someone such as Leeta who is pretty harmless normally and sort of a happy go lucky type of character, mirror Leeta is well, you see. I see no reason why the prime universe starfleet couldn't just adapt a version that holds but kills without all the pain, speaking from a lore standpoint. there's also certain weapons that starfleet keeps on hand in case of various situations happening. one example is the tr-116 rifles. they're designed to work in situations where normal energy weapons can't.

The Klingons yes may consider certain things dishonorable and so on but would not be above using a weapon such as the agonizer rifles. The klingons would simply make it work for them. The romulans could honestly fall on either side of the spectrum but I suspect they would use them if the situation demanded it. This weapon would be used more widely than you think imo. Not all species share the federation's disdain for such weaponry.
      "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    • Options
      duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
      I see the OP's point but I hope he/she sees the irony in asking for A SHOTGUN as a superior moral choice to yet another device intended to kill things.

Either way, it's going to hurt (see. how it feels to get shot) the difference is merely what's described by the tool tip. But that said you don't have to use the weapon. You don't even have to keep it. Just grind for dilithium and marks and call it a day.
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!