test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

/// Proposal: Make All Orions Green ///

Comments

• apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Make Orions Green.
    I support this though maybe not for the same reasons. I also support restricting the color of swimsuits so that they cannot be "nude" colored.

That and lingerie white. Keep them from designing their suits to look like they're in their bras and panties. So lewd.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    Who cares about immersion... Pop more discoballs...

indeed
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    While it's not hard canon, FASA's two resource books on Orions list not only green Orions, but also grey and gold Orions ...

I don't see the harm in allowing customization sufficient to make hybrids, grey Orions, gold Orions, and so on, as well as green Orions.

What I do see in the OP is an attempt to bring more inter-fleet drama from the game into the fora. Cryptic should not impose restrictions on a given fleet (or armada) because another fleet (or armada) has an issue with them, unless they are actually violating the rules (such as by means of harassment). People who actually play the game and have seen this rhetoric before are well aware of who the two groups are.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    While it's not hard canon, FASA's two resource books on Orions list not only green Orions, but also grey and gold Orions ...

So a non-canon source is the reason we have non-canon Orions, ok.
    I don't see the harm in allowing customization sufficient to make hybrids, grey Orions, gold Orions, and so on, as well as green Orions.

What I do see in the OP is an attempt to bring more inter-fleet drama from the game into the fora. Cryptic should not impose restrictions on a given fleet (or armada) because another fleet (or armada) has an issue with them, unless they are actually violating the rules (such as by means of harassment). People who actually play the game and have seen this rhetoric before are well aware of who the two groups are.

I'm part of one of the groups and I'm at a loss here. What are you talking about, where's the inter-fleet drama? Are you sure you're not just making things up?
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I don't have an Orion of any sort but is't the 'white' option a light blue?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    grimrak1 wrote: »

So a non-canon source is the reason we have non-canon Orions, ok.

I'm part of one of the groups and I'm at a loss here. What are you talking about, where's the inter-fleet drama? Are you sure you're not just making things up?

Contrary to the opinions of some, a licensed publication is not "non-canon." It's soft canon.

As for the rest of your post, I'll note that you admit that there are two groups and admit to being part of one of them -- and that the drama in question was going on before I started playing STO some three years ago.

By the way, my two Orions are green, I am not part of either of the two groups, and I have no vested interest in either side of this "proposal." But I do know what this is about; I've witnessed it for some time.
    Contrary to the opinions of some, a licensed publication is not "non-canon." It's soft canon.

Right, non-canon is non-canon.
    As for the rest of your post, I'll note that you admit that there are two groups and admit to being part of one of them -- and that the drama in question was going on before I started playing STO some three years ago.

Nice try troll. I'm obviously part of one of the two groups you brought up because I'm in the same fleet as the OP. The same OP you accused of being in one of the groups in your weird conspiracy.
    -- and that the drama in question was going on before I started playing STO some three years ago.

By the way, my two Orions are green, I am not part of either of the two groups, and I have no vested interest in either side of this "proposal." But I do know what this is about; I've witnessed it for some time.

What drama? What are you talking about? Do us all a favour, enlighten the rest of us about what you're talking about, because right now you sound like a crazy person. "Heh, those people in THAT GROUP are obviously using their conversation about Topic A to covertly talk about Topic B. You can trust me because the ham radio in my teeth told me so!"
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    End the racial discrimination of outfit choices, and nobody will care about Orions anymore.
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Well I want purple Orions, in Maximilian plate armor, but sexy, and wearing big sombreros. I also want the color palette on the armor to either be the appropriate flesh tone, or 'underwear' white, but NO other color. And I want to have the armor come with atachments like the other costume parts for other races. I think the left hand should have a "12 pack of beer" attachment, and the right hand should have a "large New York Pizza" attachment. The waist of the armor should have a place for the "cash paper money" attachment to stick out from. It should also come with an unlockable pet sea lion that could follow the Orion around with a ball bouncing on the end of it's nose. Or bouncing a 30 pound tribble colored like a soccer ball.

As an extra feature, I want my Orions to be able to wear tribble armor, made from tribbles! You can make it, then upgrade it using R and D. Also I want a racial ability to make non-Orions crawl around on all fours woofing or whimpering like a dog when an Orion walks by! Except Ferasans and Caitians. They have to screech and howl while rolling around on the ground in a wild and random fashion. This would be a trait slot ability of course.

Oh yeah, I also want the famous Orion Tommy Gun to be allowed in the game (it's canon! Look it up on google. See you in a bit ...) Make the 'tommy gun" a C-store item, but usable only by purple Orions wearing purple or white Maximillian plate, while carrying beer and a pizza, since that would make the most people happy. The Tommy gun should come with a tactical kit component called 'endless clip' that makes a weapon shoot endlessly as long as you hold the #1 button down, and no matter how much you move, or change targets, it just keeps firing doing 10k DPS and ignoring shields! If you lift up on the #1 key you get the "I'm out!" emote. At which point a different nearby Orion can use the "Here is another magazine" emote to throw a fresh one over. These emotes are for the Tommy Guns.

All in all I think these are perfectly reasonable ideas. Just swap a few palette colors and 'viola', not hard at all. Oh yes, we need some more special emotes just for Orions, before I forget. We need "Leaning way forward and wiggling the index finger in a 'come over here big boy' sort of way", and we need "pole dance". Oh, I forgot the C-store "pole accessory" that levels with your character! Dagnabbit ... so much to ask for ...

Oh and we need the "swimwear competition" emote, and the "open beer and pour it on your head" emote.

We should also discuss the "Orion Dream Camper Space Shuttle" pet. It is a non-combat ground pet about the size of a shuttle craft (naturally). The pet comes with an "In space option" where a little "Dream Shuttle" can follow your starship around. The in space version of the pet is useful in combat. If you get close enough to an enemy ship, the camper starts to follow them instead, and eliminate the enemy crew due to "exhaustion damage" which penetrates shields 100%. but takes it's own sweet time.

And hats, don't forget hats!

I need to find that flash drive, I forgot most of my ideas. I'll be back ...

Qapla :)
    warpangel wrote: »
    End the racial discrimination of outfit choices, and nobody will care about Orions anymore.

You are awesome! Your words are like a shining monument to pure logic! I salute you, and no snark intended! :)

Qapla
  • apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    warpangel wrote: »

Bring back the skant! It's a canon uniform. Cryptic, please remove gender restrictions on uniforms while you're at it.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User

I agree with you. They should ban disco balls.
    Dang it, I guess you all get a reprieve. My targ ate my flash drive. ;)

But really, no, I think I am done here. I got my arguements out awhile ago, and now I am just up way to late, and my poor brain is doing tight circles at 'ludicrous speed', thus the 2nd to last post from me. Sorry, but it just doesn't strike me as a real topic. Monochrome Orions? Really? :wink:

I am with warpangel entirely on this. Open all the costume piece options for everyone, and this so called 'problem' will go away. :smile:

On reflection, I have decided that 'Alien" should be it's own faction, like Romulans are apart from UFP, and KDF. There should be a few dozen alien core templates, and you should be able to make nearly anything with those, that you want. Then take the new 'alien' to the KDF or the UFP afterward. I really like this idea, and it could fit the "new character" scheme already in place pretty easy. Not as easy as a few palette swaps, but not to bad I would think. :smiley:

I don't supppse we could get a thread about that now, could we? :)

Qapla

We've got plenty of evidence that white Orions aren't canon, please point out where disco isn't canon. :smile:
    Fx3popQ.png
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Hmm, first off. I'd rather not be green. (Haha? Just a little joke referring to my name.)

Secondly, if it's immersion you're after green Orions is just the tip of the iceberg. I must admit I find this argument rather amusing coming from you, considering your opinions about 'discoballs', which are questionable immersion-wise and most definately non-canonical, but I digress...

Don't get me wrong I do agree that Orions (the race, not me :p) should be green, or at least various greenish shades. However, changing the race after so many years would likley cause more complaints than it would quell. Not to mention it would reduce the number of character customization options, which I, and I assume a large majority of the playerbase, is opposed to.

I'd have to disagree with changing them after the fact, if you had a time machine I'd suggest traveling back to the Beta days and suggesting it then, but now? It's unlikely going to happen.

Also, even if the options for non-green colors were removed from the Orion (race) customization palette, it would not affect the multitudes of non-green Orions currently in existance. Changing those would require significant effort on the Dev's part, which would be better served programming new content and fixing things which are functionally broken.

Finally, while it would make sense (canon-wise) it would, in effect, be taking options from many customers to make a few happy. Hardly a good strategy from a business point of view. (Though I must admit, not a terribly persuasive argument considering we aren't speaking of any paid content.)

Darn Sundays, got nothing better to do than debate a fictional race's skin colors... I gotta find something more productive to do today. :/

Agreed here. Besides it's not easy being green.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User

We've got plenty of evidence that white Orions aren't canon, please point out where disco isn't canon. :smile:

Same evidence in both cases: We haven't seen one.

Either both are cool from a canon perspective (just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist) or neither are.

There can be arguments against either one individually but if you're going the canon route with this argument (presumably to showcase how "broken" the fandom is), then they're equally canon. Never seen either, either might or might not exist.

Granted, I have a mod to get rid of disco balls and a different mod to replace the music with Oobie Doobie. But no mod to replace flesh colored Orions in chainmail bikinis with James Cromwell. Clearly I've been slacking.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    "Orions have to be green"

First reply by @artan42 prooves OP wrong and gets ignored throguhout the thread.

EDIT: Ah, it got adressed on page 3. Still, "Green is what defines an Orion" has been proven wrong. And while I personally think it's stupid that people select Orions for the bikinis and then colour them human I wouldn't however want to take option away from people, for what reason anyway? Immersion, canon? Nothing in this game is tailored to be immersive or be a representation of canon. Why start now? Yes, aside from trolling. Why do I read dental threads in the first place? pig-19.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

Same evidence in both cases: We haven't seen one.

Either both are cool from a canon perspective (just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist) or neither are.

There can be arguments against either one individually but if you're going the canon route with this argument (presumably to showcase how "broken" the fandom is), then they're equally canon. Never seen either, either might or might not exist.

Granted, I have a mod to get rid of disco balls and a different mod to replace the music with Oobie Doobie. But no mod to replace flesh colored Orions in chainmail bikinis with James Cromwell. Clearly I've been slacking.

Ahahaha why is anyone going to listen to someone so deranged they need to modify their client to stop disco from displaying

Great job admitting to ToS violations there mate, good work. Real players don't need disco removal or nude mods or whatever other filth you're cheating with.
    Fx3popQ.png
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited October 2015

The only evidence we have that white Orions aren't canon is because the only ones we have seen in the TV-series and movies are green. But we haven't seen disco balls in them either so obviously neither are they. You can't have it both ways mate.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Something that has never made sense to me is the color palette for Orions in STO. In Star Trek, Orions have green skin. Not pink or white skin, green skin.

It's kind of off putting to see so many 'orions' who are clearly just 'humans with skimpy clothes' because people make them with human, rather than orion skin tones.

A small change that would do a lot for Trek Immersion, Make Orions Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    coupaholic wrote: »
    For the sake of argument, why would there not white Orions? I mean we're all friends now, and they've been 'allied' with the KDF for the span of the game.

In other words plenty of opportunity for Orion genes to...mix...with other races. Seems reasonable to me that in certain situations olive or white skinned Orions would be the result. The humanoid species in Trek appear to be remarkably compatible with each other in that respect, especially humans. Maybe it's Kirk's legacy?
    Some of the more pessimistic calculation have it that there are several million descendants of him by 2409.
    And just to chuck it in, I would 100% support complete availability of all KDF costume pieces for all KDF races. I want to put a Gorn in Nausicaan armor dammit.​​
    yeah that would be awesome.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    A previous poster above states that, low and behold, the poster is in the same Fleet as the OP. No 'sh*t Sherlock', one could have easily had figured that out by the forum attack vector employed. Unfortunately, mobile does not show the signature monikers. From the desktop it is apparent that the poster belongs to the IS branch of that Fleet and not the North Korean branch.

By the way, there is no 'canon' that supports the use of buzz cuts on female Orions either. Reductio ad absurdum.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Lotta people gettin mad about white Orions not being canon. I'm sorry guys, the vast majority doesn't want to see your creepy pale wankbait. Keep Star Trek the way it was meant to be, with green Orions and disco everywhere, as canon dictates.
    Fx3popQ.png
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    Qej4NMH.png
    Green pride galaxy-wide, yo.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    apedilbert wrote: »
    Make Orions Green.
    I support this though maybe not for the same reasons. I also support restricting the color of swimsuits so that they cannot be "nude" colored.

That and lingerie white. Keep them from designing their suits to look like they're in their bras and panties. So lewd.

And yet my male characters can't wear their boardshorts off duty unless they're on Risa. It's gender bias!

I know there was a scene in one of the original series episodes where a male crewman is seen in shorts (I think they were tennis shorts, but anyway), so they are cannon for off duty, not just beachwear.

So, Orion bikinis, bras and panties should be restricted to Risa also. That would discourage the boys from playing white skinned Orion girls.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Has anyone thought that a minimum of 3 years (cause since F2P, I've heard these "complaints"), 3 EPs, and all the veiled rants over Orion Skin Tones and the "full time swimwear-ization" of the KDF (cause I've heard murmurs of 'pale skin' ripped Orion Males running around without their shirts, but since it's a very very tiny portion of the population that designs these variants of "eye candy", it's not something that comes up often) - that any action that would have been taken would have been in-game by now...

When these threads come up, I think that a few new options need to be included in the tailor. I'm thinking along the lines of "Mirror Universe Male Vest", "Combat-worn TOS Command Tunic", "Seen a Plasma Fire" variant, male dress options need to be generated.

I'm sorry, I just think it's unfair that Fred or Jane can dress their "fem" characters in revealing outfits to draw the red-blooded male eye at their characters, but those of us who wish to provide the ladies a touch of eye candy are stuck with the aforementioned pale male Orion option...

Dental, you're such a champion of these causes - and are known to have the ears of the Devs. Make it so...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    While I agree that green color was at least on screen that made Orions "Orion" and distinguishable from other species, then I wouldn't waste resources to make such a trivial change that actually changes nothing except making some players more happy. Then again, it would make some players unhappy as well - if there are some people who would like to make their Orions pale for various reasons, I say let them have that option if we already have it in game.

Also, gotta agree with previous statements, your logic fails when you say pale Orions aren't canon, but disco balls are, while we have seen neither on screen. Either both of them are canon (and I have no objections actually, everyone loves some disco every now and then) or neither are.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Quick solution that would make everyone happy, allow Red Shirt to allow all races to wear their bikinis anywhere they want in the game, then rename it Star Trek: Second Life or Dental Edition! :P

...but leave holodeck a Star Trek game

Edit: I can see the only reason people play orions is so they can wear bikinis (facepalm)
    m213_zpsf12b3ff2.jpg
    ^See, we cloth our women in Star Fleet. (Caption)
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Hmmm...I have to admit it seemed weird to me when I saw that Cryptic had given the option for a completely human look on the Orions. Unfortunately I do suspect it was a deliberate move to cater to certain tastes and as such, I doubt it's going anywhere, since my guess is that it a revenue-generating inducement to have a KDF alt. :/

Though personally, I am even MORE turned off by certain hairstyles and poses that, when combined, give me a strong impression of an underage and sexualized toon. Blehhhh. If I'd been doing the art, I would've never put that in there.

But when it comes to Orions (and other times when revealing outfits are used), the whole "bikini armor" thing just strikes me as incredibly unrealistic. Not that Trek series have been great about realism in uniforms in general, though. The only truly realistic one was Enterprise, believe it or not, which basically updated the IRL NASA flight suit (can we say "uniform actually includes POCKETS," people? ;) ), and TOS was a pretty flagrant offender in the "unrealistic" department by having high heels and miniskirts as "appropriate" shipboard wear. High heels are NOT what you want to be wearing in an emergency, not to mention that any exposed skin, male or female, leaves you that little bit more vulnerable to hazards (such as chemical spray, biological agents, etc.). Oh...and before anyone points out that military women IRL do have an acceptable skirt uniform variant, I would also point out that that uniform is optional, nowhere near as short as what we see in game, and not worn in any circumstances where one could possibly see combat actions or encounter any form of hazardous situation. (And along those lines...sorry, men, there isn't a "man running around shirtless" option in real military uniforms at all. ;) )

But anyway, when I imagine how my captains would feel about that kind of thing (even back when I had a KDF), I've always imagined that wearing inappropriate uniforms--even including the miniskirts--would be censured as unprofessional behavior detracting from combat readiness. Yes, I know it could be classified as an "RP" perspective, but I just can't take it even slightly seriously to see my toons or BOFFs fighting in something that doesn't even address the most basic combat preparedness. (Yes, our toons should really all have armor on away missions given the types of wartime hazards encountered, but I'll at least accept a standard uniform with long sleeves and pants as a basic combat-ready option, along the lines of IRL BDU's.)

Again, I strongly doubt these IMO stupid options (bikini armor, "seductive"/unrealistic poses, non-Orion skin tones) are going anywhere, no matter how much I wish they would. This is just my opinion about it, and why I don't use it and why when I see particularly flagrant instances of this stuff, I tend to point my toon somewhere else so I'm not getting an eyeful.
    Post edited by gulberat on

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Last I checked, Orion captains made up something like 0.5% of all STO characters, so this is a petty objection, IMO. As others have indicated, interspecies breeding will affect the phenotype of any race, so there must be some degree of flexibility in creating ANY character. Some combinations would just not be possible (swapping body parts, for instance), and some species just would not be able to cross-breed, but some superficial variations are inevitable. Until Voyager, I would never have imagined that there could be black Vulcans, but there you have it!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
This discussion has been closed.