What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

/// Proposal: Make All Orions Green ///

Comments

• orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    Edit: Doube post, my bad.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I have no problem with pale orions. What if some of them are albinos? Or half-breeds? Or have a disease? Or if someone wants to RP a captured human who got sold into slavery to the orion syndicate?

More customization is better than less.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yeah Orions should be green while they are flying their Cardassian Galor Class Cruisers armed with Romulan Plasma Beams arrays because ... immersion.

Don't be racist - albino Orions are people too.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Some humans do have Gorn heads or Caitian (at least cat like) heads. The actors wore them to represent those aliens in canonical film, and that is why a character costume system needs to be as diverse as possible to serve the customer base. More different looking people is a good thing, and when you get right down to it, cannonically speaking for all we know Orion culture was dominated by people who just liked to wear green makeup ALL OVER :)

I mean canonically, we could say that Gorns are just people who move slow, are strong, and like to wear lizard masks ;)

In canon, the USS Eneterprise N.C.C. 1701 was weeks away from help in the TOS, while patrolling regions the NX01 got to in days! Canon is a mushy pile of slop sort of like always wet putty, and it takes the shape of the writers will, and it changes whenever another writer decided to rub out that crease, or add more demension to this or that protrusion.

Warp 8 is this fast, than it is that fast. They fly to the center of the galaxy in days, but can't go to the other side of it in 50+ years even though its only about three times farther away? Orions are green, blue, and probably pink, and Klingons have ridges, ruffles, or are smooth. Lets not mention JJ Trek's Klingons more than to say, 'see what I mean about canon?' ;)

Canon is personal. It transcends the writers of the work being canonized, and because of this, you cannot control it, it will end up mutating beyond all ability to restrain, and it will destroy itself, and rise from it's own ashes. Green Orions are no more sacred than warp factor eleven! We have seen both, and both as as if ashes to the morning sun of the new day! Can we please stop worrying about this? Despite the comedic value, it is getting old :)

Providing more options for aliens is a good thing. My advice is that OP not go crazy trying to take options away. =)
    Why not propose instead, a Universal costume generator irrespective of faction, that all sides can use to make whatever combination they want to. The Game Designers can list some specific races 'pure blood' apprearance recipes, and players who stick with that can get a free trait of a very, very specific type. Otherwise, it's a big galaxy and we don't need to put walls around it.

Qapla
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    Or if someone wants to RP a captured human who got sold into slavery to the orion syndicate?.

Then they're not Orions and shouldn't be using the Orion species as a template. You wouldn't make a Gorn to represent a human captured by the Gorn, would you?
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Or if someone wants to RP a captured human who got sold into slavery to the orion syndicate?.

Then they're not Orions and shouldn't be using the Orion species as a template. You wouldn't make a Gorn to represent a human captured by the Gorn, would you?

But what if they are transpecies and identify as Gorn? It wouldn't be politically correct to tell them they're not!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

But what if they are transpecies and identify as Gorn? It wouldn't be politically correct to tell them they're not!

then send em on a mission the is lethal for non gorn. >:) :P

and yes green people should be green.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Yeah Orions should be green while they are flying their Cardassian Galor Class Cruisers armed with Romulan Plasma Beams arrays because ... immersion.

Don't be racist - albino Orions are people too.

I don't need to post my view, someone already did it for me.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    askray wrote: »
    As much as I'm going to kick myself for bringing it up -

If cryptic was only about money there would be a t6 Connie ;)

Well, you have me there. lol sry cryptic

as for the orions, i would of figured the aliens race on the kdf side would probably suit the need for mixed races, i imagine u would probably have more costume options going with alien too. speaking of green skins, what happened to the tos gorn options?
    Arya

So then where is the template to create a KDF faction human? See we are working with what we have here. I have a KDF Andorian because I found a way. I have a UFP Orion because I found a way, but if you take away all the toys, we won't have those options anymore, and those of us who like the story of someone displaced from thier home tying to make it in a strange and hostile culture can't do that anymore. Adventure is the most canonical thing about Star Trek.

Besides, as I pointed out, Gorns are human, they just like to wear lizard man costumes ... Maybe some of them are rebels, and want out of the rubber suit?! Maybe some Starfleet humans want to wear a rubber lizard suit. Why not? After all Romulans are humans wearing fake ears, so I really don't see what the big deal is ... ;)

If there was a Augment Klingon template maybe we could use that for 'humans', but that ain't there either. Basically, I see some folks argueing to take something away from other people. For not a good enough reason, and especially since there are many good reasons not to take it away. I am firmly commited to not taking anything away from the game if it reduces any of our options. As far as canon goes, I love knowing it, but it is ultimately to maleable a thing to be useful.

The concept of IDIC ! :neutral:

IDIC is very canonical. This whole thread is driven by someone attempting to argue against that concept, for the sake of an imagined Orion racial purity. The arguement in favor of imagined racial purity for Orions is actually not very consistant with Star Trek as a whole. I am suspecting that either the ones who started this are either very unfamiliar with the philosophical roots of Star Trek, or that they are trolling the community with some kind of strange joke, or that they wish they could achieve racial purity in RL, but are frustrated there, and so hope to achieve an online apartheid state instead ;)

Mostly I think it's trolling =)

Anyway, I am going to make a bunch of pink and black, and blue, and white Orion BOFFs to follow all my characters around from now on. I made that decision just now :)

Have a good day.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    I personally find it disgusting that green Orions have to cover themselves in white facepaint to try and fit in. Minstrel shows were tasteless when they had white guys in blackface, having green guys in whiteface now isn't any better. Make Orions green.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Well, most of us know why people make white'ish Orions. T'is the clothes, as they're the only species people can skimp-out. Go figure. :p

While I'd be probably one of the last one to go scream 'muh immersion', because I'm not in the business of dictating perception of others' characters, I kinda find the OP's topic pointing at the very obvious, in rather chucklesome way, as to why /some/ people make white Orions. And I do wonder if it's something to laugh about and/or sad at times. But that's just me.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    gardat wrote: »
    Make them green / dark green only. Orions only come in green after all.

The lighter shades are green. Just light green to extremely pale green.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Arya

So then where is the template to create a KDF faction human? See we are working with what we have here. I have a KDF Andorian because I found a way. I have a UFP Orion because I found a way, but if you take away all the toys, we won't have those options anymore, and those of us who like the story of someone displaced from thier home tying to make it in a strange and hostile culture can't do that anymore. Adventure is the most canonical thing about Star Trek.

Besides, as I pointed out, Gorns are human, they just like to wear lizard man costumes ... Maybe some of them are rebels, and want out of the rubber suit?! Maybe some Starfleet humans want to wear a rubber lizard suit. Why not? After all Romulans are humans wearing fake ears, so I really don't see what the big deal is ... ;)

If there was a Augment Klingon template maybe we could use that for 'humans', but that ain't there either. Basically, I see some folks argueing to take something away from other people. For not a good enough reason, and especially since there are many good reasons not to take it away. I am firmly commited to not taking anything away from the game if it reduces any of our options. As far as canon goes, I love knowing it, but it is ultimately to maleable a thing to be useful.

The concept of IDIC ! :neutral:

IDIC is very canonical. This whole thread is driven by someone attempting to argue against that concept, for the sake of an imagined Orion racial purity. The arguement in favor of imagined racial purity for Orions is actually not very consistant with Star Trek as a whole. I am suspecting that either the ones who started this are either very unfamiliar with the philosophical roots of Star Trek, or that they are trolling the community with some kind of strange joke, or that they wish they could achieve racial purity in RL, but are frustrated there, and so hope to achieve an online apartheid state instead ;)

Mostly I think it's trolling =)

Anyway, I am going to make a bunch of pink and black, and blue, and white Orion BOFFs to follow all my characters around from now on. I made that decision just now :)

Have a good day.

Ok, this (for the most part) just about sums things up...

I think we're done here, I doubt there will be any civil discussion from this point on, so I'll bid you all Adieu.

(Besides I've stated my arguments and since I highly doubt Cryptic would bother taking the time to make any changes to the racial color palettes this continuing conversation seems pointless, and will likely degrade into flaming soon anyways.)
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    and whats up with the felinoid races having only 2 TRIBBLE......don't felines have more than 2 ?????? i know my kat does.......
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    latest?cb=20061205201828&path-prefix=en

M'Ress says... two.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    I don't really care about making all Orions green or not, but do we know for a fact that ALL 100% Orions are in fact green?
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    kavase wrote: »
    I don't really care about making all Orions green or not, but do we know for a fact that ALL 100% Orions are in fact green?

"Because the only ones we saw on screen were all the same shade of green, therefore ALL Orions must be the same shade of green, no exceptions! While we're at it, lets make all Andorians the same shade of blue and make it so they only have white hair!"

That's pretty much the argument.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    So then where is the template to create a KDF faction human? See we are working with what we have here.

Alien. People can make "aliens" that look exactly human with the alien species. That's what you are supposed to use when your desired race isn't available. And the Orion traits aren't exactly appropriate to a human, as we don't have
    "super-pheromones". But people don't use alien. So why don't people do this? Metal bikinis.

That's it. That is literally it. It has nothing to do with Orions, it has everything to do with running around in underwear.

Don't go trying to sell this as, "But... how else can I make a human KDF-side!?" because everyone knows. This is not some noble crusade to make your desired species, it's a sad attempt to undress your desired species. People can't easily put aliens in metal bikinis which are exclusive to Orions, so Orions it is.

People aren't making due, they're making cut-rate TRIBBLE material.

If you're gonna do it, then own it.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    So then where is the template to create a KDF faction human? See we are working with what we have here.

Alien. People can make "aliens" that look exactly human with the alien species. That's what you are supposed to use when your desired race isn't available. And the Orion traits aren't exactly appropriate to a human, as we don't have
    "super-pheromones". But people don't use alien. So why don't people do this? Metal bikinis.

That's it. That is literally it. It has nothing to do with Orions, it has everything to do with running around in underwear.

Don't go trying to sell this as, "But... how else can I make a human KDF-side!?" because everyone knows. This is not some noble crusade to make your desired species, it's a sad attempt to undress your desired species. People can't easily put aliens in metal bikinis which are exclusive to Orions, so Orions it is.

so if I ever want to cut down some of the fail in sto I should post links to some ecchi manga I know?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    lljkaxey wrote: »
    I support more realistic Orions, also I want more battle armor for Orion females. Lets face it, it would be better at sustaining a direct disruptor bolt and the game would be closer to the way it should be. It would be an easy change just remove the orion clothing completely replace with good strong klingon clothing and then it would be perfect.

I am not sure whether Orion females have all the options of Klinks, but my fem Orion is covered and wears normal armor (except for the Orion shoulder pads and the crown), so the option exists.

That being said, the amount of skimpy dressed orions, bosom and hips maxed out, minimum waist, often "cute" or "seductive" poses (which look extremely silly to me since I never saw any woman standing only remotely that way) lets me always make assumptions about those players making them.

My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I am not sure whether Orion females have all the options of Klinks, but my fem Orion is covered and wears normal armor (except for the Orion shoulder pads and the crown), so the option exists.

You are correct. They do have access to KDF outfits. I got a few outfits saved on mine, and only one of them is the skimpy Metal Bikini. The rest are Merc outfit, Bortasqu uniform and skirt (because she is Orion), Heck... even the Korath uniform from the lobi Store!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Something that has never made sense to me is the color palette for Orions in STO. In Star Trek, Orions have green skin. Not pink or white skin, green skin.

It's kind of off putting to see so many 'orions' who are clearly just 'humans with skimpy clothes' because people make them with human, rather than orion skin tones.

A small change that would do a lot for Trek Immersion, Make Orions Green.

psh hell with that I still want blue to go with some old ToS lore I remember :P
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Something that has never made sense to me is the color palette for Orions in STO. In Star Trek, Orions have green skin. Not pink or white skin, green skin.

It's kind of off putting to see so many 'orions' who are clearly just 'humans with skimpy clothes' because people make them with human, rather than orion skin tones.

A small change that would do a lot for Trek Immersion, Make Orions Green.
    psh hell with that I still want blue to go with some old ToS lore I remember :P
    Well, in TAS we actually SAW Orions with other colors.

latest?cb=20061122022017&path-prefix=enlatest?cb=20061122043731&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    kavase wrote: »

No. we don't know it, It was never ever ever made an actual official rule for them. Before JJ Trek they didn't have a red haired one either.
    :)
    Qapla
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    What about the daughter of a Human Male, Orion Female? The Orion was sent to seduce the Star Fleet Captain but fell in love with him instead and together they had an Orion-hybrid daughter. Ostracized by the purebred Orions for her paler green skin, she joins the KDF and works her way up to become a Dahar Master.

Besides which, one hardly sees any non-green Orion Males. In fact one doesn't see too many Orion Males Period. Most end up as Training Manuals after being sent to the Solyent Green tanks (see what I did there) or put up for sale on the (Slave) Exchange.

Let THAT Be Your Last Battlefield!!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited October 2015
    What it really comes down to is that greenness is the thing that makes an orion an orion, like pointy ears for a vulcan or a lizard body for a gorn or blue skin for a bolian.

An orion that isnt green is no orion at all. It wouldnt make sense to let human or klingon characters pick a dragon's head or a walrus head, because then they wouldnt be human anymore.

An orion that isnt green isnt an orion anymore. And the alien option is there for 'things other than the canon species you can choose from.'

All cryptic needs to do is remove one option from the palate.

Ok, I can't resist.

This is obviously an opinion, hardly fact. Also, there is nothing preventing players from making green Orions now, so there is nothing that Cryptic has to do to allow green Orions.

Removing palette options just because the other colors don't match your definition of 'proper Orions' is hardly a good enough reason for Cryptic to remove customization options from STO.

Edit: Hmm, this repetitive discussion makes me wonder if the point isn't an earnest desire to discuss customization options but instead parhaps an attempt to bait an argument? Or perhaps I'm drinking too much coffee...
    nightken wrote: »

so if I ever want to cut down some of the fail in sto I should post links to some ecchi manga I know?

Well that is a broad brush happyhappyj0yj0y is using there. I actually have standard KDF uniforms on all my Orions except one Boff for one toon, and it fits his personality to have it that way. I have used Alien templates to create non-KDF Orions, so those are clothed in uniforms that I tried to make look TOS or Wrath of Khan contemporaneous, but skirts, and pants are the lower body choices, sorry, no bikinis. However if I wanted bikinis on my toons, who made Happyhappyj0yj0y the boss of me?!

If I want to undress my desired species I go play the Risa summer event for swimwear. I don't need Orions of any color to do that, if that was my goal. Or just get the TOS minskirts and all that. Seeing a nearly naked toon may please a lot of folks, but it has nothing to do with my point about making a cool character idea, and ultimately has nothing to do with this discussion. I use the costume choices available to make a cool and appropriate look.

However, where are the specifically Alien costume options?! If I did want a costume piece, I have to settle for what Cryptic decides my faction will allow for an ALIEN, even off duty. I can't get strange Alien hats, or odd cloaks, or lots of wild jewelry for my aliens, Basically, the point that you have to go to an Orion to get some choices makes MY case rather nicely. You wouldn't have to jump around if the Alien template had ALL the options.

Maybe an alien could resemble a Gorn? Or maybe a Lethean, or Nausicaan (search online, there are so many aliens that are rehashes of the old makeup, your head will explode) They should be available to the FED player as well. Benzite defectors to the Klingons? Why not? All of this should be available, and easy.

I actually do a Pen and Paper Star Trek game offline and my character ideas overlap. It helps me GM my offline game to play a toon that has the right elements of design. My Nausicaan KDF is a new fave (and the Devs didn't even give him a bikini, SUCH discrimination :) ). Anyway, in my offline verse, there is a Klingon House that is open to diplomacy (TOS era) and which is using pirate networks to do back door peace negotiations. I have Orions on both sides of the fence, and Fed citizens across the Neutral zone helping this House. The toons in this game have modified bios to account for the different timeline, but otherwise correlate.

Now I skipped past the Orions at first, cause I didn't need one then. I did make a human looking KDF Alien early on, as well as for Romulans and Feds, for a humanoid race that was from my offline game, a sort of small regional power between the big three. I was not as happy as I had wanted to be with the results, but used the toons the way they turned out. I never considered orions to be a likely substitute, and I actually only use the Orion template for ... Orions. :)

I did use the Alien template for a Fed Efrosian (if anyone remembers them, the Fed President from ST6?) and a Fed Orion, and I liked the way that they turned out. Anyway, I like the tools, and I wish they were more open than they already are. People here who want to take the tools away are just going the opposite direction from me, and there isn't any way to make common ground that I can see. Basically, I see the desire to limit hues for Orions as a stifling thing if it were to succeed. I just have to say, I am against it. There isn't more I can really add. I have declared my reasons. I think they are good ones.

So happyhappyj0yj0y's comments not withstanding, you either want variety, and choices, or you want limits and restrictions. Pick your side. I am for free choice in character design. That is my last word on this, I am pretty sure :)

Qapla
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I should read through this thread before posting but when has that stopped anyone from posting :)

Where I stand on this. An odd 50/50. Pale Orions creep me the hell out for reasons I should not go into so that is a vote yes for me...but taking away others toys just because I'm "triggered" is lame so that is a vote no.

As for the canon standpoint, there is a few bigger targets that I would go after if I thought for a second that I had to win any minds on.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Hope you guys like my Klingon.
    zVqfh9O.jpg

And my Bolian, quite proud of her. :smile:
    NLPRLrz.png

How's my Gorn, you better stay away if you're an android!
    HqxItPB.jpg

And my human, I feel he represents me IRL exactly.
    ig5yyDl.png
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
This discussion has been closed.