test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No, Plasma Explosions aren't OP... EDIT: Cryptic has now "fixed" them by breaking them further. Ugh

Comments

• lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    lsegn wrote: »
    [...]Cryptic doesn't fix things instantly they do testing first, you should know this. [...]

Sorry, but LOL! You should know they don't, otherwise there wouldn't be broken stuff introduced with practically every major update...​​

Things don't work the same way in reality as on paper, we have only one server so the only way to test it is on a TRIBBLE test server.

If it's really as simple as you seem to think to test and fix things why don't you show us how oh wise one?
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    Even gecko needs his 14 year old min/maxers to pay his wage. At the end of the day a PvP build will always be more expensive than a PvE build because PvE isn't a challenge. The AI is laughable and dumb. I was running around with mk12 gear and had no problems surviving because I learnt to PvP.

What the devs should do and should've done years ago is separate the gear stats for for PvP and PvE.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Finally. I good change and a small (very tiny) step for balance with other skills and weapon types.
    Now lets see the rage and tears when it will go live lol
    And this doesnt mean it makes those console completly useless. Heck, I'll still use them since need the +th or -th, according to case/ship builds.
    And they still provide their +Flow/PrtG stats. Wich still boost powerlvls (via leach) in flow case or exotic dmg in PrtG case. That extra dmg from explosions was ment to be just that - a bit of "something" extra there, but surely not the MAIN reason one would use them...

hmm, wonder if they will reset again their dps channels lol
    reyan01 wrote: »
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Finally. I good change and a small (very tiny) step for balance with other skills and weapon types.
    Now lets see the rage and tears when it will go live lol
    And this doesnt mean it makes those console completly useless. Heck, I'll still use them since need the +th or -th, according to case/ship builds.
    And they still provide their +Flow/PrtG stats. Wich still boost powerlvls (via leach) in flow case or exotic dmg in PrtG case. That extra dmg from explosions was ment to be just that - a bit of "something" extra there, but surely not the MAIN reason one would use them...

hmm, wonder if they will reset again their dps channels lol
    Exactly - they were, basically, being treated as if they were tactical consoles in their own rights.

In pretty much agreement with these statements myself, after seeing the potential dmg per explosion, i thought that was rediculous enough but, to than find out they too can crit it's no wonder they need another adjustment!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    Even gecko needs his 14 year old min/maxers to pay his wage. At the end of the day a PvP build will always be more expensive than a PvE build because PvE isn't a challenge. The AI is laughable and dumb. I was running around with mk12 gear and had no problems surviving because I learnt to PvP.

What the devs should do and should've done years ago is separate the gear stats for for PvP and PvE.

Now now, come on - the PvE heroes don't like hearing that their BFAW uber-builds that are so fantastic at killing useless lumps of barely moving HP (Borg ships) may not be fantastic at everything.

This is the mentality you get when you restrict yourself in normal or advance queues.

In Elite borg Space STF, the damage gap between torps and beams are narrowed compared to ISA. You are forced to put in more survivability, different support builds are useful, etc.
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    "Plasma is OP" says someone running a ship full of Elite Antiprotons.

Plasma gets nurfed. Smug smile from Antiproton player

"Antiproton is OP" says someone running a ship full of Plasma

Stare from Antiproton player - ".. don't even think about nurfing it.. you dare..."

LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    I'm seeing multiple posts that contain insults to other players... STOP THIS NOW!
    It IS possible to give your thoughts on the matter WITHOUT any insults.

We do not want to give out warnings but it will happen if this continues or if it gets really bad the thread will be simply closed!

Please give your feedback in a civil manner. Explain why you think/feel the way you do to ensure other understand your point of view. If you think there is an alternative way of doing things list them with as much detail as you can.

Devs do read the forums. If your ideas can work they *might* be implemented!
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    aliguana wrote: »
    "Plasma is OP" says someone running a ship full of Elite Antiprotons.

Plasma gets nurfed. Smug smile from Antiproton player

"Antiproton is OP" says someone running a ship full of Plasma

Stare from Antiproton player - ".. don't even think about nurfing it.. you dare..."

AP is hardly OP - I believe that the top end DPS guys did testing and determined that there's somewhere around a 3-4% difference? (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

The reason you see so much AP is because of two things: The ability to use 2 Omni Beams and because the "proc" has a much higher chance of firing, since it's tied to CrtH.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Srsly, this is bs.

Cryptic doesn't fix things instantly they do testing first, you should know this. They were fixed the first time and this time they were even worse. I KNEW when I bought and upgraded them that they would be fixed someday soon and anyone with half a brain cell knew the same.

And sorry but you are probably the most naive player in this community. Sometimes i think you have been around for only a few months.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    [...]Cryptic doesn't fix things instantly they do testing first, you should know this. [...]

Sorry, but LOL! You should know they don't, otherwise there wouldn't be broken stuff introduced with practically every major update...​​

Things don't work the same way in reality as on paper, we have only one server so the only way to test it is on a TRIBBLE test server.

If it's really as simple as you seem to think to test and fix things why don't you show us how oh wise one?

As i said, the most naive player ive ever seen lolz. Yo do know that they DONT use the test server for anything, right? damn, are you really new? xD.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Im very sorry to see where this is going. I remember a tiny minority of players used to whine (sorry for the lack of better terms) about anything related to PvP abilities/latest consoles that would give even the slightest advantage over others and now look where PvP is? Now we are talking just PvEs but same voices as always...if one does not like something...why don't just use the proverbial...I don't like it so won't use it. mouse-14.gif
    Not too hard to do...we all have a choice and nobody is forcing us. On a PvP could be understood the concerns since after all its human player vs human player. Now this is just a human player vs an NPC and rarely someone who is in a real PvP match losing to a very adept player at building an awesome ship...instead complaint about it.

Seems as always like the very tiny minority will always spoiled the game for the rest of us. Self inflicted wounds? Just wondering if that passion could be directed towards fixing bugs or bringing light the issues of the brokenness of this MMO instead of bringing up something that shatters someone else's ego. Oh well...as usual..nothing to see and move on mouse-35.gif

There will always be someone who is a "better" player than oneself. No nerfs will fix that...monkey-35.gif
    ​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    Im very sorry to see where this is going. I remember a tiny minority of players used to whine (sorry for the lack of better terms) about anything related to PvP abilities/latest consoles that would give even the slightest advantage over others and now look where PvP is? Now we are talking just PvEs but same voices as always...if one does not like something...why don't just use the proverbial...I don't like it so won't use it. mouse-14.gif
    Not too hard to do...we all have a choice and nobody is forcing us. On a PvP could be understood the concerns since after all its human player vs human player. Now this is just a human player vs an NPC and rarely someone who is in a real PvP match losing to a very adept player at building an awesome ship...instead complaint about it.

Seems as always like the very tiny minority will always spoiled the game for the rest of us. Self inflicted wounds? Just wondering if that passion could be directed towards fixing bugs or bringing light the issues of the brokenness of this MMO instead of bringing up something that shatters someone else's ego. Oh well...as usual..nothing to see and move on mouse-35.gif

There will always be someone who is a "better" player than oneself. No nerfs will fix that...monkey-35.gif
    ​​

You know, I was here in early access as a die-hard KDF player. I levelled up on pure PvP, there wasn't anything else back then. Powers and abilities were constantly changed and yes it did bring bugs etc. but those were fixed relatively quick. Back then you had the usual whiny posts of primarily Federation players because KDF players had cloaks, went on a bit and Cryptic then gave the Federation the starting cloaks on the T5 Defiant and the T5 Gal X. Evened the playfield out a bit for KDF and FED but primarily KDF victories PvP wise. People accepted that since KDF players had a natural leg up in PvP because it was the way they levelled and learned the abilities and best builds at the time.

Times changed, builds and powers changed... yet if I look at the current "mess" and compare it to what we had way back, I'd say there are so many build options right now that the Embassy consoles are virtually useless in a lot of build cases. Personally I barely used them unless I wanted to stack up on some Exotic Damage. The Aux2bat fad, I joined in for a bit but went my own way again for builds. All I see in this thread is people whining and b*tching in general about how their DPS is now tanked and nerfed etc., but I do have to pose the simple question; have you guys tried coming up with different builds on your own? Experiment, find out stuff on your own. Look for input into your builds outside of the ego stroking DPS channels, you'll find that you can build yourself a nice medium punching DPS build yet you'll be able to keep up with all DPS requirements for the current queues.

And as bubblegirl puts it so well, there's always someone who is better then you. Deal with it and adapt, that's the best you can do in an ever-changing MMO.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    For those who have not seen it...here's whats coming....see under "System"

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1199030/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-august-4-2015
    ​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    I'm seeing multiple posts that contain insults to other players... STOP THIS NOW!
    It IS possible to give your thoughts on the matter WITHOUT any insults.

You are correct, since the insults would be misplaced. The correct target starts with a "d" and might read the thread as you stated, but
    Devs do read the forums. If your ideas can work they *might* be implemented!

How can one not joke about such a statement? Or about the one who has written it?​​
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User

​​

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!

Theres someone being better then there's surviving a 100k hit that bypasses shields in a ship with 40,000 hull. That's not right even in PvE. It's mindless boredom without the plasma dopping, i cant even imagine what PvE will be like with 100k DPS. All that DPS and they still wont do PUG elites. I'll PUG an elite with my 50% 15k DPS (estimated) Mk12 build.
    For all that Cryptic and Gecko have done to improve and promote/shove PvE down our throats, they still wont offer a decent challenge and teach the PvErs how to fight even in a basic level.
    You can tell the difference between a PvEr and a PvPer in an STF, one has no idea how to survive pulling agro while being in the thick of it and one does.
    edited August 2015

​​

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!

Theres someone being better then there's surviving a 100k hit that bypasses shields in a ship with 40,000 hull. That's not right even in PvE. It's mindless boredom without the plasma dopping, i cant even imagine what PvE will be like with 100k DPS. All that DPS and they still wont do PUG elites. I'll PUG an elite with my 50% 15k DPS (estimated) Mk12 build.
    For all that Cryptic and Gecko have done to improve and promote/shove PvE down our throats, they still wont offer a decent challenge and teach the PvErs how to fight even in a basic level.
    You can tell the difference between a PvEr and a PvPer in an STF, one has no idea how to survive pulling agro while being in the thick of it and one does.

Let me add to that.

Are we really a tiny minority of players? If so, how do we magically have the ability to bring about such huge changes to the game?

Or

Are we a greater part of the population than you think? Or is that we tend to be (not always, though) correct about these things, and that they are indeed OP?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    You want to see broken? One shot kills in space.

2rgkh79.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    You want to see broken? One shot kills in space.

2rgkh79.jpg

that looks more like Qwhip is crazy buffed and you're crazy debuffed which is fine by me, unlike plasma explosions which happened all the time.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    As a science captain myself, they haven't taken your potential DPS away. Other forms of exotic damage still pack a punch. I don't even have a very well made part gens boat, and it just rips apart NPCs pretty well. Use the new Research holding consoles and you can build some very nice 2 sci skill boats. The grav gens/part gens combo with exotic damage boosts seems particularly useful for PvE.
    you know that sci skills Exotic damage is damage over time damage which is slower rate ,it is a decent portion of a sci capts damage but you still need Weapon damage to maintain that DPS Accounting that EVERYONE EXPECTS NOW and the way the DPSers parse it , damage over time is nothing to overall quick damage of weapon skills with the added effect of exotic damage gives that DPS for the weapons with these consoles , and im sorry but buying into the "new" console isnt a excuse to ruin a console that was clearly helping sci captains in the DPS race . just so they push us to spend resources on these in provision missions , to get the consoles isnt the answer , it nerfs those of us with a exotic style build more than it helps , while we once again scramble to get our DPS up by buying new gear , we are below the bar till we do that , just buying the new console you still have to upgrade it to get the most out of it .
    before someone says Sci shouldnt be doing that kind of damage from weapon boosting maybe in the early years of the game when there was a Actual Need for a CLASS system in this game , now its JUST DPS race , there is no tank, no real control class , just pew pew as fast as you can to get the drops . when every mission has a timer there is no other way .
  • urmuz1urmuz1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    The other enabassy consoles HuH ans ShH have a 10 seconds cooldown after proc-ing. I think Cryptic should bring back the crits and apply the same 10s CD rule to plasma explosions.
    Not an ARC user
  • darkknightucfdarkknightucf Member Posts: 1,546 Media Corps
    praxi5 wrote: »
    I find the timing of this change suspicious... and as someone above eluded to them wanting to entice us to the R&D consoles from the new holding (keep up that grind folks).

This particular problem dates back a ways (iirc) BFAW + Embassy Console... why the fix now? Might be the tin-foil hat is on too tight, but the timing is just too convenient... New Science Consoles available that require grind.... better nerf the ones everyones unlocked already... get them grinding again.

Honestly, I don't think it's that, I believe it's just pure coincidence.

I think even they didn't realize that it was only Critting with FAW until Snipey posted his video. They then spent the intervening time trying to (properly) fix it, and then came to the conclusion that it's "not feasible" in the past few days.

The timing sucks, but I doubt it's a huge conspiracy.

Several other players, including myself, reported the crit issue day one of the release of the new mechanics behind the plasma consoles. Feel free to check the bug forums on the day of the change.

@Odenknight | U.S.S. Challenger | "Remember The Seven"
    Fleet Defiant Kinetic Heavy Fire Support | Fleet Manticore Kinetic Strike Ship | Tactical Command Kinetic Siege Refit | Fleet Defiant Quantum Phase Escort | Fleet Valiant Kinetic Heavy Fire Support
    Turning the Galaxy-X into a Torpedo Dreadnought & torpedo tutorial, with written torpedo guide.
    "A good weapon and a great strategy will win you many battles." - Marshall
    I knew using Kinetics would be playing the game on hard mode, but what I didn't realize was how bad the deck is stacked against Kinetics.
    Several other players, including myself, reported the crit issue day one of the release of the new mechanics behind the plasma consoles. Feel free to check the bug forums on the day of the change.

Womp womp. Well that changes things.

I'd like to chalk that one up to just poor communication and QA, as we've seen time and time again. Something something don't attribute to malice that which you can attribute to stupidity... or, in this case, communication garbling.

I really don't want to believe that they'd intentionally mislead us or lead us astray (with the Upgrade weekend right before the nerf shows up). Yeah, they're shafting us with lockboxes, power creep, and T6 'replacements', but I don't want to believe they'd do that :'(
  • darkknightucfdarkknightucf Member Posts: 1,546 Media Corps
    I found this while looking for something else. Talk about a blast from the past!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2zg0wu/now_on_tribble_doping_ii_the_return/
    @Odenknight | U.S.S. Challenger | "Remember The Seven"
    Fleet Defiant Kinetic Heavy Fire Support | Fleet Manticore Kinetic Strike Ship | Tactical Command Kinetic Siege Refit | Fleet Defiant Quantum Phase Escort | Fleet Valiant Kinetic Heavy Fire Support
    Turning the Galaxy-X into a Torpedo Dreadnought & torpedo tutorial, with written torpedo guide.
    "A good weapon and a great strategy will win you many battles." - Marshall
    I knew using Kinetics would be playing the game on hard mode, but what I didn't realize was how bad the deck is stacked against Kinetics.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Oh, I believe you. People were reporting the Tau Dewa situation immediately too, when they found out on Tribble. The latter has only 1 flaw: feeback from Tribble needs to processed, and not /dev/null-ed on arrival; for 'parity' and all that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Easy solution: Finally remove PvP from this game completely.

I agree.
    Even the PvP crowd is saying it's broken.
    Cryptic tried and failed to fix PvP.
    So, Cryptic should remove it or the PvPers should just stop whining.
    Either solution would be infinitely better.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    urmuz1 wrote: »
    The other enabassy consoles HuH ans ShH have a 10 seconds cooldown after proc-ing. I think Cryptic should bring back the crits and apply the same 10s CD rule to plasma explosions.

Yet another way that Cryptic could have handled the situation better.

But again, that would require someone to actually DO something... and apparently, that's more then our poor 'overworked' dev staff can handle. Apparently, they're too overburdened crapping out new T-6 ships with bugged traits to actually fix the bugs that already exist.

The easiest way for them is to just do a flat nerf, it may TRIBBLE the players, but who cares about that right?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I failed to clarify earlier: This is considered a temporary fix, not a final solution. We hope to be able to restore Crit functionality at a later point in time, when it can be universally applied.

The primary focus with this "temp fix" is to restore player choice, over the short term. If FAW was the only way to benefit from these consoles, then it paints players into a corner on how they need to equip their ship, and load out their boffs. Removing that outlier (until a better fix can be deployed) is how we chose to restore that balanced sense of choice. Now players have a greater opportunity to use the firing modes they want, and still get equivalent benefit from Embassy Consoles as anybody else.

And yes, I can confirm that there was also an additional reduction to the core amount of damage that the procs from these Consoles can dish out. This was not done lightly, but only after serious comparative testing on how these Consoles compare to anything similar that offers damage boosts (primarily Tactical +Dmg consoles, such as those from the Spire).

I recognize that this additional info is not likely to mollify anyone. I just want to make sure that if you're going to be upset about something, make sure you have all available information first.

Here are the patch notes that should have been included in the Tribble Notes, and will be included with the Holodeck Notes when this goes live:

ITEMS:
    Weapon Signature Amplifers/Nullifiers (Embassy Consoles)
    - The plasma explosion procs gained from these consoles is no longer capable of landing a Critical Hit, under any circumstances.
    - The damage of the plasma explosion procs has also been reduced by approximately 25%

There is the reason. It's a temporary fix until they have time to make the console crit for all types of weapons it was originally mean to crit with.

Stop whining about it FFS.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    rezking wrote: »
    Easy solution: Finally remove PvP from this game completely.

I agree.
    Even the PvP crowd is saying it's broken.
    Cryptic tried and failed to fix PvP.
    So, Cryptic should remove it or the PvPers should just stop whining.
    Either solution would be infinitely better.

Correction. They never tried to fix PVP. Every season, every lockbox was a step of imbalance and excessive power creep that the PVP crowd had been warning about, and the TRIBBLE goes in anyways.

They haven't even added anything to PVP. Kerrat, C&H, and the same Arena match maps are exactly the same ones from STO's launch in 2010. NOTHING has been added to it since STO went live. The only thing taken away was the removal of the Faction Queues to make Faction irrelevant.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    My biggest beef with all of this is them saying that it was WAI.
    An upgrade weekend came along so I used c. 100 omega tech to make 47 of these consoles go Epic 14 for my 13 toons.

Then after the upgrade weekend they do a stealth patch on tribble and roll it live the very next week.

Yes they were OP. Yes it needed to be fixed. But comments saying its WAI and hen the way and timing of the fix is clear 'Bait and Switch'

This is how you LOSE PAYING CUSTOMERS. It is hilarious that the devs cannot see that they are cutting off the hand that feeds them and their families. I just hope for them that they have their CVs updated and polished (and probably best that they leave off any mention of STO...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User

I somehow doubt that nerfing a console that was producing OP results is going to result in Devs being unable to put food on the table.

Then you are as naive as he Developers are. I have been around since Closed Beta and have lost count of the number of friends that no longer play or support STO financially anymore due to the constant Bait and Switch tactics that they use. And these weren't small customers, there were people who spent tens of thousands of dollars on the game over the years. There is only so much of this behavior that a person can take before they say enough is enough and shut there wallet.

In this business that is a big problem as STO is not creating new paying customers as fast as it's losing old paying customers. With the now insane height of the vertical progression in this game new players cannot hope to compete/attain reasonable progress in a reasonable amount of time and so they don't stay around for long. Veterans are no longer recommending the game to others (and in many cases are actively warning potential customers away).

It's EXACTLY stuff like this that will end up financially ruining this game and causing the servers to shut down and all of the Devs be looking for new employment.

As for the timing - I don't recall reading that they're removing the consoles from everyone's inventory/ship. You still own them. They're still at whatever mark they reached subsequent to upgrade. They are still in your inventory or in your sci console slots on your ship. They still work (minus the OP effect and slight damage reduction). Bort has even said that the nerf is technically temporary (see posts above). All that has happened is their OP effect has been removed whilst the powers that be try to balance them out. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Again, Bort had said previously that the new mechanics were WAI, even after the OP nature of the critting under FAW was described/shown. Whilst the consoles may still be in my inventory the 500m+ EC I spent on upgrading them is not. Had I known that this nerf was coming I wouldn't have spent that resource/time in upgrading them during the weekend. I upgraded them with the information that I had at hand which was a Dev saying these consoles were working correctly and wouldn't be touched, whilst they were already patching Tribble (without notes might I add) to neuter them.

It would be disingenuous of me to suggest that they did all of this on purpose (feed misinformation to the playerbase to assure them the consoles were WAI and would not be nerfed, incentivize players to spend resources on upgrading said consoles with an upgrade weekend, secretly neuter the consoles on Tribble without describing the change in the patch notes until after the weekend had finished, roll out these changes at the first opportunity after the weekend) as I have no evidence to suggest this was malicious activity over sheer incompetence.

However, the end result is the same. And it is FAR from reasonable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
This discussion has been closed.