test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

XMPP Chat and Fleet Channel

Hi!
I read on the net that it is possible to connect to the fleet channel using any xmpp client.
I tried, managed to connect to some other channels without issues (also able to talk), but when I try to follow the instructions to join the fleet chat is just says "Forbidden"...

I tried joining the fleet channel name with channels.crypticspace.com, and tried the same with guilds.crypticspace.com...
I still don't understand why it isn't working... Has it been broken recently?

This is one of the few things that keep me subscribed as is, so I was wondering if there is any way to request help from someone more knowledgable on the topic?

Comments

• Options
    noybmannoybman Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I agree. I posted a bug, they blew me off because the xmpp is not officially supported.

Then I "debated" that, that I was a gold subscriber and they themselves offer this to us (and pointed them to the main forum link they posted), then they came back, asked for a SS< when I gave it to them, they said "3rd party programs aren't supported"

Are you kidding me? Thats the point of XMPP. And, since my config was a-ok, working perfectly in March 2015, and by end of April/early May, it magically STOPPED working (yet I didnt change my config or update my 3rd party client), one can almost hands down decisively insist Cryptic changed something on their end.

They are well known for breaking things that work. But until a devel sees these posts and addresses it in good faith, I think we're SOL.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Anyone hear anything further on this? Fleet Chats have been broken for a while now. Believe it or not, this was a major selling point in my buying a LTS, so am pretty disappointed that it does not work.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    now it becomes clear why smirk locked the 5-year running xmpp support thread.​​
  • Options
    now it becomes clear why smirk locked the 5-year running xmpp support thread.​​

Mumble Grumble Mumble Grumble Mumble Grumble
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Not much help to you guys but can still see CO SG chat via guilds..crypticspace.com - what you could do is set up a private channel to which you can invite any of your fleetmates - you should then be able to access it via channels.crypticspace.com - a bit of a roundabout way but could work - especially to keep in touch with officers etc - although there is officer.crypticspace.com where you could find the offical officer channel for your fleet​​
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    Not much help to you guys but can still see CO SG chat via guilds..crypticspace.com - what you could do is set up a private channel to which you can invite any of your fleetmates - you should then be able to access it via channels.crypticspace.com - a bit of a roundabout way but could work - especially to keep in touch with officers etc - although there is officer.crypticspace.com where you could find the offical officer channel for your fleet​​

Sorry eiledon you're off topic, I understand you're trying to offer an option, but we aren't looking for an option, we are looking for Cryptic to fix what they broke. I have very specific reasons for wanting Fleet chat, not custom chat.

Custom Chat works fine. So any server connection to channels.crypticspace.com work. (I knew that already). This is great for the vast majority of fleet members that understand the game mechanics enough to A.) Be aware of an existence of a Custom channel for a fleet, & B.) Know how to join and use it.

When a person joins a fleet, their default option besides a /tell is to talk in /fleet aka holodeck!FLEET\20NAME\20HERE@guilds.crypticspace.com
    Since this option worked, we want it back.

I will say however that as recently as yesterday my KDF fleets holodeck xmpp channel started working for me. BUT only the KDF one. I'm not really sure why the FED one is not working. I wonder if it has something to do with the server holding a list of @account-names and coincidentally I just joined my KDF fleet with an alt char.

Perhaps Cryptic purged the "authorized userlist" for holodeck on the last Season 9.5 update and we have to rejoin the fleet with a character to get it to re-insert our accounts into the authorized user list.

I will try it and write back. In the meantime I reported this find to Support. Hope the actually do something.
  • Options
    Follow up post as promised.....

I took a character out of a fleet and rejoined the fleet and the Holodeck! guild channel became available.

Interestingly enough, when I left that fleet with the same character *(but still had characters in that fleet), I lost access to chat. I rejoined each fleet with a second character leaving my Fleet Admiral in each, and
    ***********IT WORKS********* on all Fleet channels.

Now I will go one step farther - When I disconnected all active connections to the server, I lost access to Fleet chats but channels still worked. Once I logged back into the game on ANY character, all fleet chats worked again.

I suspect the issue has something to do with how Cryptic is reading our status/id/session-key for authentication to the Fleet Holodeck channels. Otherwise, I suppose anyone could log into anyone else s Fleet chat. Clearly a bit broken, but hopefully Cryptic will read this and fix it.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    noybman wrote: »
    When I disconnected all active connections to the server, I lost access to Fleet chats but channels still worked. Once I logged back into the game on ANY character, all fleet chats worked again.
    So the fleet channels do work, but only if we're logged into the game? And the musical chairs part... we need to rejoin the fleet on two characters before it starts working for all of them? I may be a little confused.
    ;)

channels.crypticspace.com - Works
    guilds.crypticspace.com - Broken
    officer.crypticspace.com - Broken

I wish they'd officially support this awesome feature.​​
  • Options
    I was a little stunned too. Perhaps YMMV? I later closed the game and reloaded it, and at no point did I lose access to any of three different fleet chats.
    All I can say is to try getting in, if it doesn't work, ensure you have recently joined the fleet with a char to cover that base, and then reconnect to the game.

Let us know if it works for ya
  • Options
    Next news:
    Server patch occurred today. After which, I had to LEAVE the fleet again and rejoin to regain access.

Once the account logs INTO the game & fleet, then the xmpp holodeck!GUILD@guilds.crypticspace.com channel works.

The connection continues to work until the xmpp connection drops & there is no user in game with that fleet. At this point, you need to log into the game with a user on that fleet, and it will work again.
  • Options
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    Yeah, I had it temporarily working, but only until the patch.
    :s ​​

So bring a second character into that fleet, and it will work. You basically need 2 characters in each fleet to keep this working

• Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    It gets tedious having to redo it every week, plus our fleet channel only gets used to tell new members how to join the custom channel. I wish they'd fix it, but I will survive not having it.

Is the ᐰ in your avatar image a Stargate reference, or something else?​​
  • Options
    Ok, so has anyone had any luck getting the Armada Channel to work with XMPP?

It does occur to me that, if the time needed to lead into such projects is true, the Fleet/XMPP first got borked when they would have been fiddling with such things on the Armada level. Yes? No?
  • Options
    I agree dabelgrave, on both accounts. That is the same purpose we use it for. Exactly the same purpose.

@bergins, I have not even tried. We are in an armada with ourselves at the moment. I'd like to think once a pair+ group of fleets gets to an armada stance, they have the skill to tell their members to joiin its custom channel.

I will give it a try and report back.
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I have been having issues with fleet chat through XMPP client for awhile now.. and I thought it was only me.

Has anyone had any updates? When I try to connect to my fleet's channel I get a popup message about registration required.

• Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Any work arounds to this one issue yet?​​