test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Delta Rising the best expansion and do the players love it?

jocelynbruneljocelynbrunel Member Posts: 19

Is Delta Rising the best expansion and do the players love it? 125 votes

Yes
26%
justjoe12345123rosetyler51commanderkassybernatkvirusdancerduncanidaho11originalboodahthemetalstickmanpsyman87phenomenaut01thestargazeartan42cidjackrepetitiveepicvegeta50024spacehermitjam3s1701claudiusdkpeetapipmachyperionx09 33 votes
No
73%
oceansonghojain2020shpokstehbubbaloosaurializarddabelgravecaptainmal3kimonyadmiralstarbuckr5e4w3q2gulberatshieldtowertinead51nickdeamrco019agentdunnicsairgunsstuntpilotjosan369hyplkjwashington 92 votes

Comments

• dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No
    Can't decide. DR is actually THAT bad that you might consider trolling the devs and say "yes". But seriously, I've never seen anything worse in gaming history than this gigantic piece of unbalanced bugged cash grab & grind bullsh*t.

And it cannot even be reverted. Best thing they could do: Shut down holodeck and start again from S1.2 with STO:Rebirth.
    Post edited by dgdolph on
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No
    More grind, more P2W, more power creep, more shoddy (at best) mechanics, and more limitations (locked Spec ships)?

And only now, nearly a year later, are we just starting to hear (let alone implementation) them roll back some of the blindly obvious detrimental changes to the Advanced queues?

No wonder nearly my entirely Friends List cleared out.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    why are you trolling an old arguement for op? the devs im told didnt like the joke and the meme got well out of hand. it burned itself out, there is no reason to restart that flame war.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    seriously, there comes a point when you have to let things go.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes
    die horse die

keep-flogging-a-dead-horse-2.png

JtaDmwW.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    Dude, the game doesn't even say Delta Rising anymore and there's been a lot of nice changes since then. I think it's time to let DR go and move on...
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    No
    I would still have my "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever, and the players love it!" sig, but I can't figure out how to get it back since the migration.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    Yes
    Given the choices are pretty much Legacy of Romulus or Delta Rising, and LoR did far more damage to the game than DR - it's more a choice of the least worst than the best.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Given the choices are pretty much Legacy of Romulus or Delta Rising, and LoR did far more damage to the game than DR - it's more a choice of the least worst than the best.

tovan khev, right? xD
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Yes
    If the choice was STO:Rebirth or Delta Rising there would be no choice. DR all the way.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    It's for your own personal decision to make. If 3 other people in this thread hate DR? that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Your opinion is yours and that's all that matters. Now can we stop beating the tribble with the proverbial stick?
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
    No
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    It's for your own personal decision to make. If 3 other people in this thread hate DR? that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.
    I truely saddens me that some people believe they're enjoying DR. This gamekiller expansion did nothing but damage to this once wonderful game. It came with almost no content at all. Instead it brought massive bugs, insane grind, insane cash grabs, alt-unfriendlyness and ruined any remaining balance.

Cryptic is brutaly exploiting their customers and those who did not quit even seem to like it. I'm losing my faith in humanity.
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    I won't answer the poll, because honestly I'm not sure which answer is the one that shows how I feel anymore =P

But... I will say...

DR was the expansion that couldn't make me play everyday regardless of what was going on in my life, and I used to play up to 16 hours in a day (no joke, its easy to do when moving hurts =P)
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    dgdolph wrote: »
    It's for your own personal decision to make. If 3 other people in this thread hate DR? that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.
    I truely saddens me that some people believe they're enjoying DR. This gamekiller expansion did nothing but damage to this once wonderful game. It came with almost no content at all. Instead it brought massive bugs, insane grind, insane cash grabs, alt-unfriendlyness and ruined any remaining balance.

Cryptic is brutaly exploiting their customers and those who did not quit even seem to like it. I'm losing my faith in humanity.

so you're saying it saddens you because someone is having fun? IDK what to even say about that...
    If you're not happy here, then play something else. That's what I do.
    Getting saddened because someone is having fun with something you don't like is a bit over the top.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    Seriously, DR came out in October. We are now moving into the end of June. It is time to get over it. You cannot spend your whole life constantly harping about something from over 8 months ago.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Yes
    The voice over really got me. Story was ok. And getting the intrepid interior was .... heartwarming to say the least. Manly tears were shed...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • stuntpilotstuntpilot Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    No
    Population has dwindled dramatically, most queues are long dead, the grind has never been so dull -- I think the results are clear. T6 ships caused a lot of uninstalls, the 50-60 slog caused a ton more. Everyone that left has their own reasons, but in the end it's less fun to play when there are fewer people around. That's the key point here. Low population means less to do and dead fleets.

But hey, we do get to replace all of our T5 favorites with T6 versions, complete with powerful traits and better BOff layouts! So excited to buy the Avenger again today. Can't wait to repurchase the Excelsior and Defiant in the near future. And you know the T6 version of the JHDC is only a matter of time.

Then we can do it all again for T7 ships while we grind for the new rank, President of the Federation/Emperor Clone of Kahless.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    No
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Seriously, DR came out in October. We are now moving into the end of June. It is time to get over it. You cannot spend your whole life constantly harping about something from over 8 months ago.

the amount of time spent harping about something is proportional to the level of discontent experienced
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes

Question: who the hell are you to be telling me what I should or should not be enjoying? If you think that Cryptic is nothing but a sham for a Russian organ harvesting gang, and DR their greatest scheme, then by all means go play something else. No one here is hoisting their love/like/ambivalence toward STO on you. Please feel obligated to do the same.

As for my vote: sure DR. Better structure, writing, acting, presentation, and gameplay (mechanics, AI, and dare I say balance as well [after the health scaling tweak]).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    No
    Question: who the hell are you to be telling me what I should or should not be enjoying? If you think that Cryptic is nothing but a sham for a Russian organ harvesting gang, and DR their greatest scheme, then by all means go play something else. No one here is hoisting their love/like/ambivalence toward STO on you. Please feel obligated to do the same.

1) I'm not telling you not to enjoy STO. I'm saying that I can't understand how people can still find some fun in this game.

2) Who the hell are you telling me to go and play something else?

3) I already quit months ago. I just log in from time to time to chat with some friends and see how the fleet that I once founded is doing.

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    No
    It almost killed the game for me, so no, no it wasn't...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    No
    I'm sure they made a lot of money on item sales, so from their POV it probably was a raging success

Empty queues, steamcharts at a 3-year low, not sure they even care until it effects revenue
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes. Their metrics proved it. :*

Ok, let's be a bit serious here. There's the fact that the forums constitute a minority so all the I quit or My Fleet's dead posts (out of how many more players and Fleets) don't really represent a real drop in players. ESD (well, mostly Risa currently) has crazy Zone chat, Drozana still has the occasional ERP junk, DS9 is still neglected, and popular queues are still going.

Queues? It's only their screwed up "balance" that shot those to hell, where their rewards do not justify the time spent doing them since the NPC rebalance. Doesn't help either that XP gains in them are still lower than some other queues or patrols. What they need to do is scale the rewards based on the average completion time, so that it's more rewarding for the time and effort put into them. Who cares if Assaulting the Voth Cityship granted 200-300 Marks on Normal before daily bonus and Optionals? That's reasonable for the time and effort put into that mission. Same goes for Storming the Spire. But a paltry 60 Marks? TRIBBLE that, you could get more just grinding the ground BZ in the same amount of time.

XP gains itself is really the only other issue; in their attempts to "balance" and pad their metrics, they screwed over everyone. With already 4 Specializations out and more coming, it's time that they revert it to a more reasonable gain rate (make it 2x or 2.5x the current XP rate), as there's more or less about 30 "levels" per specialization. Sure some of the hardcore will finish fast, but who cares? Boosting the XP gains so that you could reasonably level your main, encouraged more alt play. As it is currently, this XP nerf has done the opposite; few players willing to play for as long as Cryptic would like, and only play long enough to do the essential dailies and just level up "whenever".
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No
    When DR released I did not have a problem with it. What I did have a problem with is all the nerfs to anything XP related that followed it's release.

When XP nerfs hit, when the nerfs to Tau Dewa Patrols hit, people said, "Well, you should do DOFFing instead for some good supporting XPs." Cryptic then nerfed that also.

The XP nerfs were the only thing that I hated with the advent of DR.
    Can't decide. DR is actually THAT bad that you might consider trolling the devs and say "yes". But seriously, I've never seen anything worse in gaming history than this gigantic piece of unbalanced bugged cash grab & grind bullsh*t.

And it cannot even be reverted. Best thing they could do: Shut down holodeck and start again from S1.2 with STO:Rebirth.

I have been in an MMORPG where a set of changes were far worse, far more reaching, and impacting the game population in a completely noticeable way.

Star Wars Galaxies and the "New Game Enhancements" (NGE) from about 2005. The game went from a Non-Level, Skillbased, Non-Class Template system to a traditional Class & Level system. Entire swathes of gameplay, skillgroups were removed. These massive, game-altering changes were not talked about at all by the devs with the players. We didn't know about the rug being pulled from under our feet until the NGE went live, unannounced.

Jedi used to be a long road to achieve. They also used to have Permadeath (3 deaths and that Jedi is gone for good). Remember, this is an era where Jedi were hunted down across the galaxy. Due to this exclusivity and permadeath, Jedi were more powerful. With the NGE, Jedi became a starting class and lost their power. The game went from a Star Wars game set during the Galactic Empire's era where Jedi were practically extinct, to a Wannabe-Clone Wars Setting with Jedi all over the place like insects.

Animation was simplified. It used to be that if you were aiming a blaster and a target was of a higher or lower elevation from you, your character would actually aim towards that proper angle and fire accordingly. With the NGE, your aiming animation was always straight and level and blaster fire would come out at weird angles out of the barrel. Melee combat animations? It went from sophisticated animations to stick figure animation.

One of the "crowning achievements" in doing a disservice to your customers? Before the NGE hit, SOE was pitching the upcoming "Trials of Obi-Wan" expansion pack. Naturally that goes well with the playerbase. The problem was that the NGE itself was not announced to the players at all. We didn't know it was coming until one patch day we log in and the game was completely different. That expansion pack? People bought it for some gear and enhancements to some professions/skillbox groups, as well as new content. The NGE went Live, unannounced in less than a week of that expansion going live. If the NGE changes were making players angry already, the NGE removed aspects from the new expansion just as it came out. Just to add fuel to the fire.

I can actually go into this for a lot longer. Lots more things happened. But outside the changes itself, it had 2 important effects:

1. Players actually left in massive droves. Player Cities, Player Hugs, etc. that once were bustling were empty. Player Merchants, Crafters that left changed the signs of their stores for a series of big F-U to SOE before they went. All these hubs were empty and it felt like going into a deserted town devoid of life. It was very eerie. This wasn't a couple players getting upset and leaving. We're talking large proportions. Servers that were highly populated went to very low pops within weeks of the NGE changes.

2. Players on the boards or whatnot were begging, pleading, campaigning for a rollback. SOE never budged. They implemented the changes knowing full well there would be a massive lashback and stuck with it, expecting a horde of replacement players to come right in. The problem was that the players did leave like they thought it would, but the big rush of replacements never occurred.

My post leaves out a lot more of the NGE changes. That in itself can be a big thread. But again, I've been around for far worse game changes, and an actually large, very noticeable chunk of the playerbase leaving as a result.
    XzRTofz.gif
    No
    But again, I've been around for far worse game changes, and an actually large, very noticeable chunk of the playerbase leaving as a result.

Just a little sidenote: 99% of all PvPers left STO after DR as a result. (Have to admit, that number is just a guess, maybe it's just 98% or even 95%)

For an entire gamemode, the damage dealt couldn't be more fatal.

I know my "PvP'ish" POV doesn't represent the entirety of STO players. But for me and all other PvP players DR was the worst case scenario.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    No
    polls on the forums! this is a great feature!!
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Yes
    5e8.jpg

Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Yes
    Voted yes. I don't personally enjoy the DR changes but judging by the amount of love DR gets in all these forum sigs clearly I am in the minority and my first duty is to the truth.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    No
    Delta Rising is only the second true expansion this game has seen. The other was Legacy of Romulus. Between the two, LoR was (in my mind at least) far superior. Delta Rising left a lot to be desired - and still does.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • dwellerofvault13dwellerofvault13 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    No
    Although this poll is rather belated... I can not state the Pros and Cons of DR any better than those above. What I do know is that a good number of the individuals I would count on for expert advice on multiple aspects of the game have left for "greener pastures" or are taking extended retreats from the game. Also, many of the STO related websites are no longer as updated/active as they used to be.
    2778.png
    War... War never changes.
This discussion has been closed.