What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forums are off again

Comments

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I still miss how the old forum had a PM box that was tied to your game mail.
    askray wrote: »
    I totally miss this as well! Mass deleting my inbox was much much easier :(

Yes it sure was! Be real nice to have that back.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *shakes fist in air* Gorn you Askray for merging threads! :P
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    PWE/Cryptic drops a new season us, and we have complaints out the rear about bugs and content, We still have complaints about lag and disconnects...

Sector space is too big/small.......The chat, oh my god the zone chat!!!

New Iconian rep armors, the unoriginal complaints/comparisons about what Heralds look like....
    OMG!!! the Iconians can't breed?? That makes no logical sense, I'll write a reply while traveling at warp speed....:rolleyes:

Items missing from INV and mail...

NOW a chage in the forum hosting????

Please, too many events. I don't have the time to keep up with the grind of reading all this doom. I work for a living and can't spend all this time on the forums reading all this gloom tripe. I can barely afford all the cheese I need to go with this whine (not to mention the condition of my virtual liver).

Please consider lowering the frequency of these forum events.

Oh and it goes without saying I speak for Everyone in existence. (Forum Law #2 "If I don't speak for you, you don't exist.")
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This reminds me of the time that the LoL forums were replaced with "Boards" a while back. There were many promises of "new things to like, keeping the old things you liked," most of which were broken. Even basic feature requests like avatars, ignore lists, moderation, and better reliability did not end up getting implemented. We did get random, unexplained bans, though.

Happily, I'm not as invested in STO GD as I was in LoL GD.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    farranor wrote: »
    This reminds me of the time that the LoL forums were replaced with "Boards" a while back. There were many promises of "new things to like, keeping the old things you liked," most of which were broken. Even basic feature requests like avatars, ignore lists, moderation, and better reliability did not end up getting implemented. We did get random, unexplained bans, though.

Happily, I'm not as invested in STO GD as I was in LoL GD.

I can safely report that avatars and moderation work fine :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dirlettia wrote: »
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/9196863-announcement:-game-wide-forum-migration

So with the forums migrating to Arc does this mean it will get a bit of a wipe on the way over?
    velqua wrote: »
    With the forums moving over to Arc, are we looking STO players being forced over to Arc as well? Right now, I am happy with the current launcher I am using.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As I have said since ARC was announced, I have no doubt that eventually everyone will be forced to use either ARC or Steam. But who know when that might happen.

you could install arc but still launch sto by some other means, I do that quite often, just because you have something installed doesn't mean you are compelled to use it.
    in fact I have often even had arc running and still run sto from the old launcher.

having said that I think if people were to use arc for the forum they will realise arc is not as bad as some seem to think it is.

having said that I think this entire thread is assuming you will need to install arc to access the forum and this is wrong, the forum will still be accessed via any web browser as you will see if you go here >

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums

if you click the sign in tab at the top you will get a good idea of how the new web page will look.
    personaly I think its awesome, so much better then this old web site.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Right, but what about the Archived Post that are out there?

Like this thread for example: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=218273

It's a commonly linked thread for the information that Big Red provided. There are others out there as well.

There is not going to be an ARC account to link them to...

I suspect they will stay Archived, the change will just not affect all the regular posts we have had since that fateful transfer.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks ok to me, not sure what the big deal is, it's only a forum. Also the random page I visited had screenshots in it, always nice to be able to post images in your threads.

This^^ some people just don't like change, I'd remove post counts and join dates, it would destroy people's e-peen's :D and almost likely cut down on pointless posts/replies that people make just to boost a pointless number.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks ok to me, not sure what the big deal is, it's only a forum. Also the random page I visited had screenshots in it, always nice to be able to post images in your threads.

Can post images in threads now...linked images...giving the person reading the thread the option of viewing them or not. Options are always nice.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you could install arc but still launch sto by some other means, I do that quite often, just because you have something installed doesn't mean you are compelled to use it.
    in fact I have often even had arc running and still run sto from the old launcher.

having said that I think if people were to use arc for the forum they will realise arc is not as bad as some seem to think it is.

having said that I think this entire thread is assuming you will need to install arc to access the forum and this is wrong, the forum will still be accessed via any web browser as you will see if you go here >

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums

if you click the sign in tab at the top you will get a good idea of how the new web page will look.
    personaly I think its awesome, so much better then this old web site.

Yay it's a vanilla forum, they're awesome. Well known across the world for their super special brand of ignoring any of all security issues in their software and all of the amazing bugs and issues they especially code just for us consumers! Whoot whoot!

For those who don't get sarcasm vanilla forums = dangerously badly coded, they're a poor mans forum that is only one step up from a bulletin board and Arc is scraping the barrel by using them.
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only thing that stood between PWEs evul plans of world dominance was Virusdancors post count. What can stop them now?

Well played PWE... well played...
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *squints* Should we be looking at you more intently? :P

But no, from what I understand all bans are sticking.

1) Is semi right, semi wrong. The forums have been touched with PWE updates since they were taken over, but really it was Atari's then PWE's with changes done with PWE updates, ARC tie-ins etc.

2) His main desk was at PWE's office actually ;)

Yeah pretty much the bans are saying we don't care what you have to say just give us money rofl. TRIBBLE that...
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It probably means people will have their join date adapted yet again. Given the huge fuss some guys like to make about it I fear there will be some nervous breakdowns on the way. :D

I don't like the the looks and functionality of the current forums. Forum migration is a chance for improvement.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Now would I like a "STO only" recent discussion? Oh god yes. But for the amount of features incoming vs what we're losing I can settle for some loss. :)

That isn't "some loss" for me, they are big deals.

No amount of shinies can replace a basic feature that I use constantly.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited April 2015
    the feature that enables you to watch YouTube videos directly in the forum without the need to open a new web tab is a great boon.

don't know if it works for other video hosting sites but as most use YouTube I can live with it if it doesn't.

• Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Another hopelessly desperate attempt by PWE to draw attention to their other games that nobody is interested in, I'll just update my bookmarks to the subforum trees and bypass the rest of the TRIBBLE. Another thing this probably means is somebody else's head in the CM department is on the chopping block. Oh well.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I usually post from work, if it's sufficently quiet. However, my work PC is lumbered with IE 8 as a browser, and I can't log into the new forums from it. :(
    LOL - complaining you can't post from work. You have it tough, man! :rolleyes:
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The forum still doesn't keep me properly signed in. Clicking the link in the announcement (http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums) results in my arriving at the forum already logged in. Moving from there into one of the forums (example: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/Swordsman) leaves me not logged in.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah pretty much the bans are saying we don't care what you have to say just give us money rofl. TRIBBLE that...

Actually, the bans are saying so-and-so has a long history of ignoring forum rules or has posted such a severe violation of the rules that they got a 20 point infraction right off the bat.

You agree to follow those rules when you post here. If someone breaks those rules, the consequences are on their own heads. It's like getting traffic tickets. If you get caught enough times, or do something really reckless, you lose your driver's license -- and if that happened, it would be your own fault.

Lots of people post here day in and day out -- even stuff that's critical of PWE or Cryptic -- and have never been banned once.

Migrating to new forum software does not mean the rules get thrown out. It may mean that we get new tools to curate the forums and that some of the rules might get modified as a result.

We'll just have to see.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We can only hope but I'm expecting to see Troi at the helm flying the ship into a planet...

Well, in this case, it would be Trendy at the helm. Swearing at the top of her lungs, possibly.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Actually, the bans are saying so-and-so has a long history of ignoring forum rules or has posted such a severe violation of the rules that they got a 20 point infraction right off the bat.

You agree to follow those rules when you post here. If someone breaks those rules, the consequences are on their own heads. It's like getting traffic tickets. If you get caught enough times, or do something really reckless, you lose your driver's license -- and if that happened, it would be your own fault.

Lots of people post here day in and day out -- even stuff that's critical of PWE or Cryptic -- and have never been banned once.

Migrating to new forum software does not mean the rules get thrown out. It may mean that we get new tools to curate the forums and that some of the rules might get modified as a result.

We'll just have to see.

Yeah people are stupid sometimes. Y'all don't discriminate against haters just rule breakers. I did get a lifetime ban once for making a joke in my signature about how much KDF players b*tch on the forums... It was sad too because it was a glorious put down! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    The forum still doesn't keep me properly signed in. Clicking the link in the announcement (http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums) results in my arriving at the forum already logged in. Moving from there into one of the forums (example: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/Swordsman) leaves me not logged in.

that's odd, though I was logged into this forum I had to log in again when I got to the new site, also had to verify via email code that was sent to me account guard.
    after that I had no problem and remained logged in no matter what pages I looked at even to the extent that I closed that tab but stayed on this forum and later went to the new site again and was still signed in.

the other thing I like about this site is the ability to use animated avatars, not that I bothered but it was nice to see the ones that were.

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Yep, exactly. An opinion is not what gets you banned.

Case in point: see that Delta Rising review that has been linked in my sig for soon to be six months now? (I actually plan to do a brief retrospective on it soon in a new thread, to look at where progress has been made and where it has not.) A good bit of that involves being critical, in detail, of Cryptic game design and business decisions. Do you think the mods never saw that thread as it was going, or have missed it the whole time it has been in my sig?

Similarly, I have told community managers and devs to their faces when and why I disagreed with certain things and again, have not gotten banned or even earned a warning for it. Why? Most likely due to maintaining a certain level of decorum and professionalism, making it about the decisions and NOT the people who made them, and not mean-spiritedly ignoring the good that does exist in the game.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    About animated GIFs:

I'm another person that can't stand them. I just wanted to say, for everyone here who has a problem with them, that there is in fact an easy way of getting rid of ALL animated GIFs. At least, there is in Firefox.
    1) Type "about:config" into the address bar.
    2) A box will appear saying "Here be dragons! Changing these advanced settings can be harmful - only alter these if you know what you're doing." Click "I'll be careful!" (Yep, Firefox is one of those humorous programs :) )
    3) A huge list of configuration settings will appear. Use the search box at the top of the page to find the line that says "image.animation_mode", double-click it, and change it to "none".

Now animated GIFs will not be shown on any page - or rather, the first frame will be shown as a static image, but it won't animate. If you do want to see it, I've found that right-clicking it and selecting "View Image Info" will cause the animation to play, for some reason.

GIF problem solved, at least for Firefox users. If it wasn't for that, I'd be as dismayed as a lot of other people here. As it is, fair enough.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    that's odd, though I was logged into this forum I had to log in again when I got to the new site, also had to verify via email code that was sent to me account guard.
    after that I had no problem and remained logged in no matter what pages I looked at even to the extent that I closed that tab but stayed on this forum and later went to the new site again and was still signed in.

Yeah, everything on that forum results in my being still logged into Arcgames.com, but no longer logged into the forum: http://www.thephoenixdivision.com/share/arcsigninfail.jpg
    :confused:
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »
    The only thing that stood between PWEs evul plans of world dominance was Virusdancors post count. What can stop them now?

Well played PWE... well played...

Nah, there's that ryan guy in the RP thread...makes me look like I signed up for the forums yesterday.

Hrmm...heh...the Aug 2012 instead of Jun 2012 suggests that I'm not part of that group. ;)
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, basically who's banned will still be transitioned to the new forums.

But! The new forums are unified, which means banned people will find themselves banned as well from other forum games.

If that's so, well huge fail coming through. :confused:

PS. I just searched for "Arc Forums" on Google. First result is a baaaad site for your computer. Chrome started screaming on that.

I'd check your SEO.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No desire to have this, the forums as they are work just fine for the most part. All the useless social media junk that is coming with this, is just that, junk. Money wasted on things un-needed. But then, what does my opinion matter? As it never has apparently.