Install Arc
Options

Forums are off again

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    askray wrote: »
    But for the amount of features incoming vs what we're losing I can settle for some loss. :)

Features from the blog...

Annoying GIF Avatars
    Monstrous Signatures
    Seeing Stuff From Games You Don't Play
    Slow Loading Pages From Embedded Images/Videos

With the @ thing, it's somewhat confusing because there appear to be settings in various areas...like going into the separate forum settings (not accessible from account settings, have to go to the forums and click on your own image to get to them) - there's a separate hide online from the hide online in account. Whatever settings are separate like that...and...what does that mean for things like @? If I've got it set so that folks not on my friends list cannot contact me, does that mean I don't have to worry about receiving any notifications from somebody doing an @? If I've gone through and turned off all the mail and popup notifications...does that too mean I don't have to worry about that?

And well...um...speaking of things lost...just how do we search for posts somebody made?

I saw that mirrorchaos had posted something in the Star Conflict forums from the main page. So I did a Search from the main page for mirrorchaos.

"No results for mirrorchaos."

Okay then, so I can click on a user...and...then search for something they said, right? No, cause the search doesn't just search that user...it searches all users.

There's a post from bareel where he links the spreadsheet that maelwys did for damage falloff for beams and cannons. With the forums here, I go to search - put in bareel for the user and maelwys for the keyword...tada, there it is. Simple and straightforward. I do a bunch of that...user and user said searches.

So no DevTracker...well...maybe.
    No easy access to new STO posts.
    Useless Search.

Oh, but it will be easier to flag threads...but it won't matter, cause with what's being "gained" vs. what's being lost...it won't be a case of bothering with the forums to see anything that might warrant being reported.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Here ya go Virus , one for the road ... .

... you'll need to hold on to something after they reset your post count ...

Heh, I'm glad they did the reset previously - as bad as it is, man, it would have been horrible to have the stuff from before that reset...heh. Then again, that's kind of like how the initial account got messed up anyway - so that went missing too. Not worried in the least about the post count...

...as for images, here you go:

http://i3.glitter-graphics.org/pub/1386/1386313zzd6jywykn.gif

http://rs986.pbsrc.com/albums/ae342/maclisa3/kizzy%20the%20klown/discokugelani.gif~c200

http://rs526.pbsrc.com/albums/cc350/lukaz139/techno-19.gif~c200

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_gifs/4084058/Disco+dancing+zebra

http://likegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/disco-gif-1.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/Zg7clvqHE3CdW/giphy.gif

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/041/6/f/pusheen_disco_animated_gif_by_markp0rter-d75xvk0.gif

http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/52876ac4a9862.gif

For countless hours of countless fun... http://giphy.com/

I think I need to rock this as my signature: http://giphy.com/gifs/nicolas-cage-film-queue-FDUxpEiVkowaQ
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For the life of me I just don't understand why Cryptic/PW feel they have to turn everything into such a convoluted abortion lately. The DOFF system, the R&D system, now the forums. Well at least I hope we won't get "Your post will appear in four hours. Or pay TRIBBLE dilithium to post it now". I mean, really, I shouldn't have to jump through 500 hoops just to check patch notes or report a bug.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I launched the Arc client and it had an update so naturally I checked Arc news to see what it was about.

And well.....
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/9196863-announcement%3A-portal-wide-forum-migration
    On May 4th, we’ll be migrating all forums to one singular location and to make things much easier for you guys. Each game will still have their own sub-forum, but will share a main hub. This means that some of the current forums will be pulled down, but will be migrated at their new location here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#. You can log-in to the forums by simply using the same credentials as your Arc log-in. Take a look at the aforementioned link to get a glimpse of what the new forums will look like. All threads will be ported over, allowing you to continue your conversations at the new location.

Will my Firefox browser bookmark for the STO forums still work, or will I have to always go through the Arc website to access the forums? Or does this mean they are just making it easier, when using Arc, to find the forums for the games you play?

I don't know what to make of it all. I'm not jumping the phaser just yet. I'll wait and see what happens I guess. :confused:
  • Options
    cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a feeling the sto-forum.perfectworld.com link will (eventually) redirect to the STO section of the ArcGames forums.

Personally, I'm annoyed and disappointed by this upcoming change. They already made changes to the forum once with the Cryptic/PWE accounts merger, and everyone lost their previous post association. Now they're merging the entire forum, which likely means yet another loss of posts, as well as being forced into software that we may or may not even want to use.

I wasn't very active on these forums to begin with though, so it's not like they'll even notice the difference.

• Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is ARC needed to post on the forums?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There's this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1444901 :which may or may not have some CM/mod replies that make you feel better...

...it's going to be the best forums ever and the posters will love it!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Is ARC needed to post on the forums?

The ARC software? No...you can visit the ARC website without running the software.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cuatela wrote: »
    I have a feeling the sto-forum.perfectworld.com link will (eventually) redirect to the STO section of the ArcGames forums.

Personally, I'm annoyed and disappointed by this upcoming change. They already made changes to the forum once with the Cryptic/PWE accounts merger, and everyone lost their previous post association. Now they're merging the entire forum, which likely means yet another loss of posts, as well as being forced into software that we may or may not even want to use.

I wasn't very active on these forums to begin with though, so it's not like they'll even notice the difference.

Not unexpected. The merge most likely sweeps away the last aspect of something independently created/run by Cryptic; and pull all the Game Community content under the administration and control of PWE/PWI proper. No more community personnel employed by Cryptic with a workstation in Cryptic offices (Smirk was probably the last of that, and it may be one reason his particular job item was removed.)

All the PWE Community Managers will be in the PWE offices, and they can now all look at everything much easier and cover for each other as needed. Personally, I'm surprised it took them this long to coordinate it as I would have expected them to do it back when they forced the Cryptic to PWE/PWI account 'merge'.

I also expect that it will fully bring everyone under the PWE code of conduct meaning if you even infer something negative about a game or developer decision, you'll be warned/banned/etc. I will say that Cryptic honestly did allow for a very open dialogue between players/developers; and I wonder if an aspect of that will disappear once we're all merged into one 'happy' board flying the PWE banner.

Time will tell.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The ARC software? No...you can visit the ARC website without running the software.

At least there's that. Sure are some ugly looking forums, though. And yeah, after 15 seconds, I'm already sick of the animated GIFs.

Edit: And Oh. My. God. The sigs.

I think anything I want to say about STO from now on, I'll just keep to myself.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Features from the blog...

Annoying GIF Avatars
    Monstrous Signatures
    Seeing Stuff From Games You Don't Play
    Slow Loading Pages From Embedded Images/Videos

With the @ thing, it's somewhat confusing because there appear to be settings in various areas...like going into the separate forum settings (not accessible from account settings, have to go to the forums and click on your own image to get to them) - there's a separate hide online from the hide online in account. Whatever settings are separate like that...and...what does that mean for things like @? If I've got it set so that folks not on my friends list cannot contact me, does that mean I don't have to worry about receiving any notifications from somebody doing an @? If I've gone through and turned off all the mail and popup notifications...does that too mean I don't have to worry about that?

And well...um...speaking of things lost...just how do we search for posts somebody made?

I saw that mirrorchaos had posted something in the Star Conflict forums from the main page. So I did a Search from the main page for mirrorchaos.

"No results for mirrorchaos."

Okay then, so I can click on a user...and...then search for something they said, right? No, cause the search doesn't just search that user...it searches all users.

There's a post from bareel where he links the spreadsheet that maelwys did for damage falloff for beams and cannons. With the forums here, I go to search - put in bareel for the user and maelwys for the keyword...tada, there it is. Simple and straightforward. I do a bunch of that...user and user said searches.

So no DevTracker...well...maybe.
    No easy access to new STO posts.
    Useless Search.

Oh, but it will be easier to flag threads...but it won't matter, cause with what's being "gained" vs. what's being lost...it won't be a case of bothering with the forums to see anything that might warrant being reported.

The @ thing is a "mention" which AFAIK, people can do no matter if they're your friend or not. I haven't had a chance to really mess with that.

As for searching for something a user posted, If you go to their profile, You can click on discussions (where they made the thread) or comments. Is it the slow method? Yeah pretty much.

I get that the front end there is a PLETHORA of changes coming and that some aren't really happy about. But the behind the scene changes is a definate boost (not to mention the downtime possible for these types of forums is pretty low).

I'm for one happy with the change coming. The signatures? Yeah they are a bit (ie a lot) insane, and hopefully that will be changed as half a page of a sig is a bit overboard, And animated avatars people asked about on here since the first launch of the forums.

Like always, you can't win them all :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK, the flag function is neat, the animated gifs could be fun, I could easily get used to the new forum structure, but the inability to personally airlock anyone who decides to put a bloody Youtube video in their .sig is going to be... annoying.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There probably will be even less bitterness on the STO side only because the last holdouts finally gave up and either moved to a new game with a different forum setup or took it to reddit/twitter and joined the masses over there.

Because at least reddit and twitter don't have all that jazz the new forums does.

A forum is a forum; I don't care much about the change; just as long as I can see a preview of the topic at hand like you can on this current forum, so I don't have to open tabs of threads that might look interesting but turn out to be pointless.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,776 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    not sure that will happen again.

Yeah. I seem to remember a similar second merger over on Champs. That one did not mess anything up.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah. I seem to remember a similar second merger over on Champs. That one did not mess anything up.

We shouldn't have any messups this time around from what I've been told (and what was posted on this thread).

I still say shouldn't because it's a computer code - things happen lol.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

• Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    We shouldn't have any messups this time around from what I've been told (and what was posted on this thread).

Oh hey Askray...

what is going to happen to those of us that have :Cough: banned accounts....

do we get a 2nd chance???? :D
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't know a nice way to put this.

The forums are already part of PWE's website. Look at the URL and read it. The community managers like smirk were already PWE employees, not cryptic employees. To wit, "PWEcaptainsmirk." The code of conduct for the site is and has been the "PWE code of conduct," which is cited in warnings people receive.

they are changing the forums URL.

1) The forums are HOSTED on PWE's website domain. They were still pretty much a Cryptic creation and heavily tied to Cryptic's old infrastructure.

2) Yes, Smirk was a PWE employee, but it was pretty clear his workstation (office) was in the Cryptic offices (Hell, in one of his Twitch casts he talked about a party at Cryptic studios that he was attending there.) Again, I think he was the last CM for a Cryptic game that will be sitting at the Cryptic offices. Now community management across all PWE games will be 100% in PWE's hands (but, we'll see.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,776 Arc User
    edited April 2015

:: nods head in serious agreement ::

We should all rub our rabbits feet, just to ward of the code gremlins.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Oh hey Askray...

what is going to happen to those of us that have :Cough: banned accounts....

do we get a 2nd chance???? :D

*squints* Should we be looking at you more intently? :P

But no, from what I understand all bans are sticking.
    1) The forums are HOSTED on PWE's website. They were still pretty much a Cryptic creation and heavily tied to Cryptic's old infrastructure.

2) Yes, Smirk was a PWE employee, but it was pretty clear his workstation (office) was in the Cryptic offices (Hell, in one of his Twitch casts he talked about a party at Cryptic studios that he was attending there.) Again, I think he was the last CM for a Cryptic game that will be sitting at the Cryptic offices. Now community management across all PWE games will be 100% in PWE's hands (but, we'll see.)
    1) Is semi right, semi wrong. The forums have been touched with PWE updates since they were taken over, but really it was Atari's then PWE's with changes done with PWE updates, ARC tie-ins etc.

2) His main desk was at PWE's office actually ;)

• Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    *squints* Should we be looking at you more intently? :P

But no, from what I understand all bans are sticking.

1) Is semi right, semi wrong. The forums have been touched with PWE updates since they were taken over, but really it was Atari's then PWE's with changes done with PWE updates, ARC tie-ins etc.

2) His main desk was at PWE's office actually ;)

hehehe... alrighty.... :squeee: thanks tho!!! ^.^
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe merging might be a good thing, perhaps less bugs in the website?

Oh what am I thinking, the game is bugged massively, why expect better from their forums?
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Maybe merging might be a good thing, perhaps less bugs in the website?

Oh what am I thinking, the game is bugged massively, why expect better from their forums?

Different team, one is inhouse the other is not :P

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I still miss how the old forum had a PM box that was tied to your game mail.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015

That the in-game ignore and forum ignore were tied together...all sorts of fun stuff gone. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I totally miss this as well! Mass deleting my inbox was much much easier :(

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All I can say is...

All hands, brace for impact! Damage control teams on standby! All available power to structural integrity fields!!

Let's hope this actually goes off without a hitch...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    All I can say is...

All hands, brace for impact! Damage control teams on standby! All available power to structural integrity fields!!

Let's hope this actually goes off without a hitch...

We can only hope but I'm expecting to see Troi at the helm flying the ship into a planet...

• Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    1) The forums are HOSTED on PWE's website domain. They were still pretty much a Cryptic creation and heavily tied to Cryptic's old infrastructure.

FYI, just a clarification from a totes legit source (me, lawl?) Smirk sat next to me at PWE. We all can (and do) go down to Cryptic to talk with devs, but we're PWE folks.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    FYI, just a clarification from a totes legit source (me, lawl?) Smirk sat next to me at PWE. We all can (and do) go down to Cryptic to talk with devs, but we're PWE folks.

Hey I'm a legitz sourcz!

I have visited and saw his desk don'tcha know? :P

The ONE DAY you were gone I might add! :mad: :P