What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forums are off again

Comments

• Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i started a test thread over there, and people pretty quickly unearthed some major shortcomings of the forum. we are talking about things like being able to use css and create div overlays, sigs that obscure others' posts, hiding the 'flag this' graphic or even changing the link it directs to... its madness!
    its pretty bad stuff, and this being pwe, im not so sure they have the will to even address the problems.
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gulberat thanks for that. I hadn't spotted the search in the upper right corner. I'll see what I can do with it after the move. And you're right, everything will be tested beyond their limits, I just worry that the place isn't geared towards forums that massive and active.
    Ah well, we'll see I suppose.

tehbubbaloo going to have a look at it, doesn't sound very comforting though.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i started a test thread over there, and people pretty quickly unearthed some major shortcomings of the forum. we are talking about things like being able to use css and create div overlays, sigs that obscure others' posts, hiding the 'flag this' graphic or even changing the link it directs to... its madness!
    its pretty bad stuff, and this being pwe, im not so sure they have the will to even address the problems.

This is so less people use forums, and it will happen, less people = less complaints with legitimate but brushed off as whining helpful ideas as well.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have been having login problems in Firefox using the url in the arcgames announcement (http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums). However, it works fine if I access the forums directly (http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/). I expect others will be having the same problems once the transition takes place.
    I've been watching that thread. Some of the things people have managed is almost frightening!
    :eek:
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ilithyn wrote: »
    gulberat thanks for that. I hadn't spotted the search in the upper right corner. I'll see what I can do with it after the move. And you're right, everything will be tested beyond their limits, I just worry that the place isn't geared towards forums that massive and active.
    Ah well, we'll see I suppose.

tehbubbaloo going to have a look at it, doesn't sound very comforting though.

Well, don't say I didn't warn you about how primitive the search is. But yeah, it's there.

As I just noted in the test thread, it appears coding in signatures may be more restricted than post bodies. I tried to do an innocent link color change in my sig a couple of nights ago and it rejected (as in refused to save) the code.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Well, don't say I didn't warn you about how primitive the search is. But yeah, it's there.

I consider myself warned. Yeah looks like were back in the bad old Yahoo days or before that. *double facepalm*
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    BTW, before anyone freaks and says post editing doesn't exist, it does--it's that tiny black gear in the upper right corner of your post. It just doesn't say EDIT.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,377 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I have been having login problems in Firefox using the url in the arcgames announcement (http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums). However, it works fine if I access the forums directly (http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/). I expect others will be having the same problems once the transition takes place.
    There appears to be a problem with accessing a number of Cryptic pages through Firefox, possibly because of a missing certification. Trailturtle says in the CO forums that they're trying to get that fixed, although they may be a bit distracted due to intermittent issues with the login functions (possibly server, possibly something else).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I'm more worried about this kind of stuff.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Another question comes to mind: How are they keeping track of sessions across the two domains, and are they sure it's secure?
    Here's an example of what worries me.

1. Start Firefox.
    2. Go to www.arcgames.com.
    3. Sign in.
    4. Open a new browser tab.
    5. Search Google for "Jianghu Games Live Stream 5/22".
    6. Click on the first search result. It should bring you to

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7757/jianghu-games-live-stream-lash-server-5-22-at-6pm-pt

7. Click on the link "Sign In with arcgames.com".
    8. Go back to the first tab.
    9. Sign out.
    10. Close Firefox.
    11. Restart Firefox.
    12. Search Google for "Jianghu Games Live Stream 5/22".
    13. Click on the first search result. It should bring you to

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7757/jianghu-games-live-stream-lash-server-5-22-at-6pm-pt

Why the hell am I still signed in?

Seriously, is no one else worried about cross-domain scripting issues? Admittedly, I'm not an expert on Web security. Anyone who knows more want to comment?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, is no one else worried about cross-domain scripting issues? Admittedly, I'm not an expert on Web security. Anyone who knows more want to comment?

A Google of Vanilla XSS offers a lot of reading material...couldn't be bothered with looking for happy endings to be found, and the material isn't all dated (old). Would be nifty if could get a word or so on such things from the folks driving this endeavor...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Not sure what we will get, with Trendy being laid up. :( Maybe this other CM that was just recently added knows something.

PS: Edited to add, at risk of getting major hate, I actually like the My Bookmarks feature better than vBulletin's thread subscription system...

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2015

So, well, judging this.

STO Forums, you will not hear much from me until all of that is fixed. And no, I won't be on Reddit. Guess my days of actually giving constructive feedback and listing bug reports are over for a while....

Sad Rahm is sad.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I sometimes wonder, are there really humans in charge of PWE, or just less intelligent monkeys?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voporak wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder, are there really humans in charge of PWE, or just less intelligent monkeys?

Oh, it's you.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Oh, it's you.

Oh, it's you.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

Yeah I know, I haven't bothered shaving my character's beard since obviously he's not in game to be seen.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Two other things I discovered:

1. Opening a link in a new tab will take you directly to perfectworld.vanillaforums.com; this is just one more inconsistent behavior caused by embedding an iframe using JavaScript.

2. For those of you worried about unsolicited email, your email address is automatically shared with vanillaforums.com. It happened the first time I signed in to the new forums. Upon viewing my preferences, I found that vanillaforums.com now knows my email address.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    Exactly. It's open source software that is very poorly written and they're using a third party to host it with our ARC login details being used to log in to it, that's so unsecure it's scary.
    Yes, it is.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Two other things I discovered:

1. Opening a link in a new tab will take you directly to perfectworld.vanillaforums.com; this is just one more inconsistent behavior caused by embedding an iframe using JavaScript.

2. For those of you worried about unsolicited email, your email address is automatically shared with vanillaforums.com. It happened the first time I signed in to the new forums. Upon viewing my preferences, I found that vanillaforums.com now knows my email address.

To your #2 point, I've now changed my e-mail address to something bogus. I've also made sure that all my real information to PWE or Cryptic is now all bogus also. My relationship is officially over with these guys now.

Company's NEED to learn not to accept third party software or at least test it to be just about as 100% sure as you can be that it's safe to use. Recently there was a lawsuit of laptops that had a program pre-loaded to it and the company assumed it to be safe which ended up it wasn't at all.

The software being used may very well be fine, but I won't take that risk, it's unnecessary and they don't need my e-mail address or any other information for it to function properly.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up toaster.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Oh my god, changing stuff right now. Keeping my mail since it's basically my crapmail address for useless newsletter and such and contains no personal info, but the rest... Yeah, that's going asap.

This might not be against PWE's TOS to share our account information with a third party without notifying us, but it's not exactly good customer service.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I'm going to change my email over to my "crapmail" address (nice term for it). I have one specifically for giving to sites that might be likely to spam or have issues.

Also...I am going to start doing tests this afternoon, but the forum's authors may be in trouble with the new forum. Characters-per-post limit looks...draconian. I'll get in the test thread soon and figure out what the limits really are.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    kavase wrote: »
    To your #2 point, I've now changed my e-mail address to something bogus. I've also made sure that all my real information to PWE or Cryptic is now all bogus also. My relationship is officially over with these guys now.
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Oh my god, changing stuff right now. Keeping my mail since it's basically my crapmail address for useless newsletter and such and contains no personal info, but the rest... Yeah, that's going asap.

This might not be against PWE's TOS to share our account information with a third party without notifying us, but it's not exactly good customer service.
    Yeah, I'm going to change my email over to my "crapmail" address (nice term for it). I have one specifically for giving to sites that might be likely to spam or have issues.

If you've already signed in to the new forums once (as I know gulberat has), then I'm not sure changing your email address now will erase your old address from vanillaforum.com's database. It's not clear what happens to the old address. Sharing email addresses appears to be part of their single sign-on process. You can read about it here:

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/features/sso/
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you've already signed in to the new forums once (as I know gulberat has), then I'm not sure changing your email address now will erase your old address from vanillaforum.com's database. It's not clear what happens to the old address. Sharing email addresses appears to be part of their single sign-on process. You can read about it here:

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/features/sso/

Lucky for me I didn't...I just had a feeling I guess. ;)

Regardless of their intentions, and I'm sure they mean well and help make things easier, do we know, if there are terms and conditions that we have hit accept for in anyway shape or forum.

I know it's probably worthless anyway because people never read them, but I would at hope there is something that says, 'by using this, you accept us to obtain your e-mail address' etc etc.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is my highest concern right now. I will get back to ya'll about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This is my highest concern right now. I will get back to ya'll about it.

Thank you so much. From the vulnerabilities, to the technical problems possible in the actual migration, there's a lot that could go wrong. That said I hope you'll get some backup on this and not try to go it alone. Definitely not interested in you having a relapse!!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Thank you so much. From the vulnerabilities, to the technical problems possible in the actual migration, there's a lot that could go wrong. That said I hope you'll get some backup on this and not try to go it alone. Definitely not interested in you having a relapse!!
    The hammer will swing shortly.

Clarification:

The hammer isn't meant just for the forums. Think of it having a large blunt range.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Great news indeed, and I have passed it along! Hopefully now things can be taken at a less...breakneck pace better for the health and sanity all involved. :D