What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forums are off again

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No desire to have this, the forums as they are work just fine for the most part. All the useless social media junk that is coming with this, is just that, junk. Money wasted on things un-needed. But then, what does my opinion matter? As it never has apparently.

The code for vBulletin is nowhere near as stable on the back end, from what I understand, as it should be. Even simple features like the dev tracker break frequently due to major bugs and instability. If Cryptic's experience has shown the new forums to be more stable, I am glad for that myself.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No desire to have this, the forums as they are work just fine for the most part. All the useless social media junk that is coming with this, is just that, junk. Money wasted on things un-needed. But then, what does my opinion matter? As it never has apparently.
    It is Perfect World's money to do with as they wish. Michael Yufeng Chi is the person who is about to have a billion dollars invested into PW. The guy should, at least, get to use whatever type of forum he wants to use. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    The code for vBulletin is nowhere near as stable on the back end, from what I understand, as it should be. Even simple features like the dev tracker break frequently due to major bugs and instability. If Cryptic's experience has shown the new forums to be more stable, I am glad for that myself.

Except there's going to be no DevTracker at all with the new forums. They're looking into what they can do...but currently...nada.
    Also, there's not going to be any Today's Post...because the Recent Discussions shows posts from all the forums and not just the forum you're looking at.
    Searching? Forget searching. Well, maybe at some point hitting up Google might work.
    Do you like to hover over a thread title to see what it's about without having to go to the thread? Won't be able to do that.

Now on the other hand, if you want signatures that take up half the page? Yeah, they've got that.
    If you like glittery animated avatars, they've got that covered.
    If you want threads so full of images so that you won't go near them on a mobile device, they made sure to have that.

Basically if you really dug those free personal websites from the early 90's, it's going to be perfect for you. Or maybe you enjoyed the MySpace era where profiles could be seen from space because they were so crass and gaudy...this will be perfect.

But if you've enjoyed some of the functionality added to things in the past 20 years...you might not like it.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Except there's going to be no DevTracker at all with the new forums. They're looking into what they can do...but currently...nada.
    Also, there's not going to be any Today's Post...because the Recent Discussions shows posts from all the forums and not just the forum you're looking at.
    Searching? Forget searching. Well, maybe at some point hitting up Google might work.
    Do you like to hover over a thread title to see what it's about without having to go to the thread? Won't be able to do that.

Now on the other hand, if you want signatures that take up half the page? Yeah, they've got that.
    If you like glittery animated avatars, they've got that covered.
    If you want threads so full of images so that you won't go near them on a mobile device, they made sure to have that.

Basically if you really dug those free personal websites from the early 90's, it's going to be perfect for you. Or maybe you enjoyed the MySpace era where profiles could be seen from space because they were so crass and gaudy...this will be perfect.

But if you've enjoyed some of the functionality added to things in the past 20 years...you might not like it.

If we had a 'like' button, I'd hit it for that post.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    To be perfectly honest, only one of the features in that list (search) is what I would consider major functionality. I never touch "today's post" (waaaaay too much mess to look at that I am not interested in) and the mouse over feature, while nice, is not essential. Actually, while experimentation will be required, I am seeing a thread subscription system that may do a decent job of suiting my needs.

My hope would be to see search functionality expand with the addition of STO, which will seriously outclass any forum there by orders of magnitude.

If not...yeah, Google. :-/ For anyone who has not had experience with this command, to force Google to narrow down to a single site when searching is to type site:www.arcgames.com/forums with a space and then continue the search string according to normal Google procedures.

If we do not get better search functionality...then I will be the one to write the tutorial on how to get the fullest out of Google. There is a bit of other magic I MIGHT be able to accomplish but I don't want to a) promise it and find the functionality doesn't exist in Google as I thought, or b) discourage PWE from doing anything they may have in mind to solve it internally.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Used to be a case that I'd run 4-5 tabs for the forums.

Information and Discussion - Dev Tracker: Dev Tracker
    Feedback - PvP Gameplay: This is where you post your feedback on PvP content. The PvP Boot Camp sub-forum can also be found here.
    Feedback - Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics: This is where you can share builds, and post your feedback on powers and game mechanics (including Bridge Officers) in Star Trek Online.
    Support - Gameplay Bug Reports: This forum is for reporting and discussing in-game bugs amongst the community. Please also file an in-game bug report.

If anything were up on Tribble for a coming Season/etc, I'd also have a tab bouncing the following:

Test Servers - Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes: This section is for the discussion of announcements, news and release notes for the latest version of Star Trek Online on Tribble. Posting is not allowed.
    Test Servers - Tribble - Bug Reports: This forum is for discussion of bugs found on the Tribble test server. Please file a support ticket in-game to provide us with additional information.
    Test Servers - Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback: This forum is for general discussion about the Tribble test server. You may also post feedback here about upcoming changes.

I avoided areas of the forums like General Discussion and Ten Forward like the plague. It would be rare that I'd hit up any of the other sections either.

Course, folks in general like to post...wherever...and stuff would just turn up all over the place. Got into the thing of grumbling that there were too many sections to the forums causing things to get spread out.

Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics - Federation Shipyards - Klingon Fleetyards - Romulan Flotilla...why four instead of one?

Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content - Federation Gameplay - Klingon Gameplay -
    Romulan Gameplay...why four instead of one?

Why have anything but General Discussion if folks are just going to post everything there anyway and there simply aren't enough mods to keep moving posts?

And it just went on and on...until I gave up and just went with the Today's Post.

There's no way I'm going to run 4-5+ tabs of the ARC site...I'd need a new computer to handle just how bloated it is.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Heh, I'm glad they did the reset previously - as bad as it is, man, it would have been horrible to have the stuff from before that reset...heh. Then again, that's kind of like how the initial account got messed up anyway - so that went missing too. Not worried in the least about the post count...

...as for images, here you go:

http://i3.glitter-graphics.org/pub/1386/1386313zzd6jywykn.gif

http://rs986.pbsrc.com/albums/ae342/maclisa3/kizzy%20the%20klown/discokugelani.gif~c200

http://rs526.pbsrc.com/albums/cc350/lukaz139/techno-19.gif~c200
    (snip)

Yeah , that was about as much of Nebreeki's potential sigs that I could stomach . Thanks . :P

For countless hours of countless fun... http://giphy.com/

My mind suffered severe lag from that page ... .

Allow me to return the favor ... -- with a bit more theme .

I think I need to rock this as my signature: http://giphy.com/gifs/nicolas-cage-film-queue-FDUxpEiVkowaQ

Not a bad choice ... , altho some of my preferences would be :

http://media.giphy.com/media/13ArwkCRSs4Sxa/giphy.gif

https://s3.amazonaws.com/giphygifs/media/TdPtMjIMuOmVa/giphy.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/LtyywqYw5NgNq/giphy.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/x7gybOmE9zBmw/giphy.gif

... but let's be honest ... , this will feature in the Top Three most used ... , but I could be wrong ...
  • Options
    kaomondkaomond Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

This makes me laugh, if cryptic found vBulletin to be less stable than the ARC forum then they must have seriously screwed up installing it and setting it up, the "new" forum uses vannilaforum software which is well known in the industry as the single most unstable and buggy forum software available, not to mention the security holes such as in an earlier build being able to post as any user by entering a string of code in the post title.

Edit: spooling eras - dam you auto corrupt
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Well, in this case, it would be Trendy at the helm. Swearing at the top of her lungs, possibly.

Trendy flying the helm would not be a problem - I hope! :D but Troi is 0 for 2 and is an insurance risk no one wants!

However on a more serious note, I do have a question that I haven't seen asked or addressed in the blog. When I had a look over on the Star Conflict forum to have a look at the layout etc I saw there were no clear demarcations as to what was a bug report, what was someones feedback or just a general chat thread!

The question I have to ask is that will - for the time being at least - we have the same forum layout such as ten forward, shipyards, etc..? Otherwise trying to find anything will be difficult to say the least even with a search function.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Search is bloody needed, Dev tracker is bloody needed.

Losing 'Today's posts' is something I can cope with, althought I've used it.

But I'm really concerned about the apparently unsupervised (I really can't tell how well/if at all the report function is working/will work) signature wallpapers and gifs (and possibly avatars as well, though there at least the size is fixed, right?).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    Search is bloody needed, Dev tracker is bloody needed.

Losing 'Today's posts' is something I can cope with, althought I've used it.

But I'm really concerned about the apparently unsupervised (I really can't tell how well/if at all the report function is working/will work) signature wallpapers and gifs (and possibly avatars as well, though there at least the size is fixed, right?).

I agree about the search and Dev tracker. 90% of the time I'm on the forums I am using one of those two systems. Search to keep track of threads I've posted in/finding bugs which have already been reported to save me opening another thread for the same issue. Dev Tracker for obvious reasons.

The signatures don't overly worry me as, though it will be annoying, I already use Ad Blocker and using that you can right click on any image and block it so it wont show up any more. If people have annoying flashy signatures, I'll just block those specific signatures.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    mjarbar wrote: »
    Trendy flying the helm would not be a problem - I hope! :D but Troi is 0 for 2 and is an insurance risk no one wants!

However on a more serious note, I do have a question that I haven't seen asked or addressed in the blog. When I had a look over on the Star Conflict forum to have a look at the layout etc I saw there were no clear demarcations as to what was a bug report, what was someones feedback or just a general chat thread!

The question I have to ask is that will - for the time being at least - we have the same forum layout such as ten forward, shipyards, etc..? Otherwise trying to find anything will be difficult to say the least even with a search function.

Check out the Swordsman forums.

Star Conflict isn't a PWE game, so certain things just wouldn't be there. Bug reports would be useless, since PWE wouldn't be the folks to fix it. It's one of a few/growing number of games that ARC is hosting in its play to be miniSteam.

Swordsman on the other hand is a PWE game...and...it has a more familiar breakdown to the forums.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/Swordsman
  • Options
    crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks like they're trying to consolidate to save money. With the recent layoffs they will try to stretch some more people including GMs and mods. Im not looking forward to the change. Those forums look ugly to say the least. Also, to me it does look like STO will be forgotten in terms of response time from DEVs/support to many real issues that bug players. All in all Im not real hopeful about the changes but too late and that ship has sailed :cool:
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I took a look at http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums, and one thing that will annoy me to no end is the flicker every time I click on a link. Am I the only one seeing this? For the record, I'm using Firefox.

I may be overly sensitive to this kind of thing: I can still see a flicker when I change the trays, and the context menu flickers when I right-click on an item.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I took a look at http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums, and one thing that will annoy me to no end is the flicker every time I click on a link. Am I the only one seeing this? For the record, I'm using Firefox.

I briefly looked at the HTML source, and this is what I think is causing the flicker. They're using JavaScript to generate an iframe that contains the actual content. At least, that's how it appears from my cursory examination. The actual content is here:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/

Please pass this comment to your web team.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I briefly looked at the HTML source, and this is what I think is causing the flicker. They're using JavaScript to generate an iframe that contains the actual content. At least, that's how it appears from my cursory examination. The actual content is here:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/

Please pass this comment to your web team.

And this is my major concern, they're using a third party hosted forum that Is known for shoddy software, bad security and passing information to marketing firms. Good job PWE/cryptic, bring on the email spam and party like its a bulletin board in 1989!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    More annoyances:

1. I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to post a reply.

2. Quoting someone automatically scrolls your window to bottom, and then you have to wait a second for the quote to populate the comment box.

3. Clicking on a link sends you to the middle of a thread instead of the top. I think what's happening is that the browser is keeping the scroll position from the previous page. This only happens if you access the forums through www.arcgames.com. It doesn't happen if you go directly to perfectworld.vanillaforums.com.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Check out the Swordsman forums.

Star Conflict isn't a PWE game, so certain things just wouldn't be there. Bug reports would be useless, since PWE wouldn't be the folks to fix it. It's one of a few/growing number of games that ARC is hosting in its play to be miniSteam.

Swordsman on the other hand is a PWE game...and...it has a more familiar breakdown to the forums.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/Swordsman

Thanks VD, what I was thinking about is the fact some coding that controls layout in one package will not always work in another package even though there are industry standards, my query was thinking about the possibility of sub forums merging with their parents and the possibility of sections merging together.

What you helped me realise is that rather than doing a cut and paste of the whole thing (if only it were that easy!) is that the content will be moved over but they will still have to control the layout. :o
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I noticed that you can start polls. I thought polls were not allowed by the forum rules, but I can't find anything about it in Star Trek Online's Community Rules and Policies. Does that mean we can create polls from now, on will you be disabling that feature?
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    And this is my major concern, they're using a third party hosted forum that Is known for shoddy software, bad security and passing information to marketing firms. Good job PWE/cryptic, bring on the email spam and party like its a bulletin board in 1989!

I looked up Vanilla forums, and the forum software is open-source.

http://vanillaforums.org/

They don't have to use vanillaforums.com as a host. It seems to me that they're trying to cut costs by not hosting their own forums.

Another question comes to mind: How are they keeping track of sessions across the two domains, and are they sure it's secure?
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I looked up Vanilla forums, and the forum software is open-source.

http://vanillaforums.org/

They don't have to use vanillaforums.com as a host. It seems to me that they're trying to cut costs by not hosting their own forums.

Exactly. It's open source software that is very poorly written and they're using a third party to host it with our ARC login details being used to log in to it, that's so unsecure it's scary.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They should have used IP Boards imho. I used several forums, and so far the ones who used IP were way better looking and enjoyable. Never heard of issues with it. i don't really like the current forums anyways, vBulletin isn't exactly my favorite and sometimes a wall of code overlaps the current site on Safari.

I've seen the new ones. Didn't like them really. Hopefully things will change. Eventually I'd leave, not that I had a long stay anyway lol.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Another question comes to mind: How are they keeping track of sessions across the two domains, and are they sure it's secure?

Here's an example of what worries me.

1. Start Firefox.
    2. Go to www.arcgames.com.
    3. Sign in.
    4. Open a new browser tab.
    5. Search Google for "Jianghu Games Live Stream 5/22".
    6. Click on the first search result. It should bring you to

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7757/jianghu-games-live-stream-lash-server-5-22-at-6pm-pt

7. Click on the link "Sign In with arcgames.com".
    8. Go back to the first tab.
    9. Sign out.
    10. Close Firefox.
    11. Restart Firefox.
    12. Search Google for "Jianghu Games Live Stream 5/22".
    13. Click on the first search result. It should bring you to

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7757/jianghu-games-live-stream-lash-server-5-22-at-6pm-pt

Why the hell am I still signed in?
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only thing that is of interest for me is that we don't have to use ARC to start the game and can keep the old launcher.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay question. How do I find old posts (i.e. posts from this forum) on the new forum?

I have quite a few bookmarked, such as the one with workarounds for the current epidemic crashes and how to get the missing doff assignments back, but since the new forum has no search function and the links likely won't work after the move how do I relocate them? Google is unlikely work for a while, since they need to a) know that the forum have moved, and b) have their creepy crawlies go through the forum. (If Google logs this from day one I am relieved since I can simply search, but I refuse to count on it)

I've seen this mentioned in passing, but have received no information on how we can do this.

Also, who's bright idea was it to not implement a search function? That person needs to be slapped with a wet salmon.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I have been playing with the new forums for a bit to get ready (my profile and preferences are fully set), and here are the best answers I can figure out thus far to those questions...

A very, very primitive search function DOES exist, in the upper right hand corner. Boolean logic and quotes do not appear to function and it may not narrow down to specific forums. Unless PWE is planning to fix this, then our best hope is that unless we are searching by user, that Google indexes the new forum very quickly. Given the size of the Arc website and number of linkbacks people do on blogs, social media, and feeds, I may be ridiculously overoptimistic, but I expect it on the sooner side than later.

However--if you know who posted what you are looking for, you can click on that person's member profile in their post and search for all "discussions" (all threads they started) or "all comments" (every time they posted).

Once Google does index, or if you know who started the thread/discussion you are looking for and you find it that way, you can bookmark it through the new forum and while I could be sorely mistaken, for me it actually looks like that feature will be easier to use than the current thread subscription system.

Either way, I expect the combination of STO and Neverwinter to test their new system to its absolute limit. STO in particular will be orders of magnitude beyond Swordsman (the current largest forum) in size and speed of posting. The number of members and guests online at once will also jump by orders of magnitude. The forum server and database will be pushed HARD, so it will be critical to see how it scales up. If you have any critical material such as fanfics you wrote or articles or lists that you need ready access to, I recommend backing it up over the weekend--NOW.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I agree about the search and Dev tracker. 90% of the time I'm on the forums I am using one of those two systems. Search to keep track of threads I've posted in/finding bugs which have already been reported to save me opening another thread for the same issue. Dev Tracker for obvious reasons.

The signatures don't overly worry me as, though it will be annoying, I already use Ad Blocker and using that you can right click on any image and block it so it wont show up any more. If people have annoying flashy signatures, I'll just block those specific signatures.

A global "disable images in signatures" feature is also an option in your profile. The AdBlocker trick is a good idea though since I don't mind all images, just the occasional one that gets on my nerves.

• Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    10 characters
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I still don't like the idea, I didn't like it during the announcement and don't like it now after letting it sit a few days.

Its just saving money on their end with having an excuse to cut or overwork and cut more community rep jobs, the company itself somehow has been hemoraging money, and they been cutting all over to save a few bucks for their new yachts.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif