Install Arc
Options

Forums are off again

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hrmm, that does sound more like what happened there then.

Still gets into PWE having shared your email account with a third party without notifying you of that action, eh?

If somebody were using an email account specifically for one thing - that one thing has been compromised by their actions.

I don't know if you've seen my earlier posts. They share your email address with Vanilla Forums too.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    2. For those of you worried about unsolicited email, your email address is automatically shared with vanillaforums.com. It happened the first time I signed in to the new forums. Upon viewing my preferences, I found that vanillaforums.com now knows my email address.
    If you've already signed in to the new forums once (as I know gulberat has), then I'm not sure changing your email address now will erase your old address from vanillaforum.com's database. It's not clear what happens to the old address. Sharing email addresses appears to be part of their single sign-on process. You can read about it here:

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/features/sso/

I'm not sure if the people at PWE even read Vanilla Forum's documentation, since it clearly says that you can use dummy email addresses.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Who are Disqus? I just received an email from them asking me to verify my email address:

They know that my forum name is associated with this email address, so I can only assume it has something to do with the new forums. Does Vanilla Forums use Disqus to verify email addresses? Why am I receiving this email from them?

Weirdly, right after visiting the link that VirusDancer shared, I got an email from Disqus asking me to confirm my email address. So it's not even from clicking on a comment section on that page, it's from visiting that page whilst signed in to Arc... I don't like that. For one, I actually already have a Disqus account associated with a different email address to the one I use for Arc/Cryptic stuff. I don't want or need a second Disqus account.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Weirdly, right after visiting the link that VirusDancer shared, I got an email from Disqus asking me to confirm my email address. So it's not even from clicking on a comment section on that page, it's from visiting that page whilst signed in to Arc... I don't like that. For one, I actually already have a Disqus account associated with a different email address to the one I use for Arc/Cryptic stuff. I don't want or need a second Disqus account.

Oh, is that what caused it? Visiting the "SOCIAL" tab? I do remember clicking on that tab. I don't remember seeing that Disqus login form before virusdancer showed it to me. I definitely did not sign up for a Disqus account; I would have remembered typing in a login name and password. So clicking on the "SOCIAL" tab creates a site-specific profile on Disqus and sends them your email address. They should probably explicitly mention that somewhere.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Meh, now I feel bad. :(
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Oh, is that what caused it? Visiting the "SOCIAL" tab? I do remember clicking on that tab. I don't remember seeing that Disqus login form before virusdancer showed it to me. I definitely did not sign up for a Disqus account; I would have remembered typing in a login name and password. So clicking on the "SOCIAL" tab creates a site-specific profile on Disqus and sends them your email address. They should probably explicitly mention that somewhere.

Yeah, that should be warned about somewhere. Not everybody appreciates sites passing their email address to other sites. I know I don't.
    Meh, now I feel bad. :(

Not your fault man, just quite poor show on their part for integrating Disqus and passing them our info without asking. Even if when people visited the page and it popped up to ask if you would allow them to share your email address it would give people the choice.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    just had a thought about the new forum, I have a number of titles like Career Officer I can choose from lifetime subs and such, will we be able to use these titles in the new forum and if not will cryptic compensate us for this shortfall of rewards we can no longer access.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    just had a thought about the new forum, I have a number of titles like Career Officer I can choose from lifetime subs and such, will we be able to use these titles in the new forum and if not will cryptic compensate us for this shortfall of rewards we can no longer access.

I asked that earlier in the thread, here's the answer I got back:
    The new forums come with badges, I think that titles will be replaced with those, but I am not 100% sure on that fact just yet

So maybe badges. We'll have to see if/when we ever get the forum migration I suppose.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    I asked that earlier in the thread, here's the answer I got back:

So maybe badges. We'll have to see if/when we ever get the forum migration I suppose.

thanks for the info. :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.