test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oh god! *snicker* Those Iconian Rep Armors! ROFL!

Comments

• killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sure they would have appeared in Enterprise if it had made it to 7 seasons.

Anything would have been a step up from the space suits made from waterbed mattresses.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I guess the love affair with Tron continues...
    And all the Tron stuff I've seen still looks better than... this. Not sure what it is, but I certainly can't call it truly outrageous - someone else has claim to that particular title, and they pull it off far better, thank you very much.

So far, that looks like one aesthetic option that I won't be making use of.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Anything would have been a step up from the space suits made from waterbed mattresses.

Meh, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as memorable or interesting as pool-inflatable iconian hunters. We've seen everything between grunge and slick tried before in sci-fi. Let us have the bat-**** crazy.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i mean since this new outfit doesn't have any star trek feel to it at all (imo) can we just get the Gallian Militia outfits from Valkyria Chronicles? Oh and some of the female hairstyles too? :cool:
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was surprised and disappointed to see these designs.

I really think the Art team at Cryptic has been on quite a roll lately. The Command Ships and the Iconic Ships all are some of the best looking ships this game has ever seen. They have really been doing a top notch job.

They must have outsourced the Ground Armor designs to the lowest possible bidder because man those are really really bad.

I'm a 'purist' though, my Starfleet Crew wears rank and color appropriate Starfleet Uniforms all the way around. My Romulans wear the Omega stuff, but no Character I have will ever be caught dead in florescent armor that looks like it was rejected from a cheap Tron Remake. :D
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    YOU SHALL NOT STEAL FROM CHAMPIONS ONLINE!

Those poor artists there spend hours to get it done.....and now it is used in STO...
  • lorngramlorngram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm, I`m starting to wonder how the space sets will look to match the ground ones :D
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was surprised and disappointed to see these designs.

I really think the Art team at Cryptic has been on quite a roll lately. The Command Ships and the Iconic Ships all are some of the best looking ships this game has ever seen. They have really been doing a top notch job.

They must have outsourced the Ground Armor designs to the lowest possible bidder because man those are really really bad.

I'm a 'purist' though, my Starfleet Crew wears rank and color appropriate Starfleet Uniforms all the way around. My Romulans wear the Omega stuff, but no Character I have will ever be caught dead in florescent armor that looks like it was rejected from a cheap Tron Remake. :D
    That's how I feel, in a nutshell... the Art team was really making great work lately, but it seems that ground armor/set was relegated to the lowest tier priority, when I see those new designs, for supposedly badassery set, where we are supposed to face the ultimate bad guys.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lorngram wrote: »
    Hmmm, I`m starting to wonder how the space sets will look to match the ground ones :D

Discoball shielding, and warping out makes your ship TRIBBLE pixie dust.

Set Phasers for FABULOUS!!!!!!:eek:
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm a huge TRON fan, and I don't see TRON in the designs at all. They do have a rave / Daft Punk vibe, and I think I'd like them as club wear, but I can see how they'd not really work well as combat equipment.

I WAS a huge TRON fan... until the sequel.

Original - loved it
    Animated Series - loved it
    Game tie-ins - loved it
    Sequel - kill it dead!
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Discoball shielding, and warping out makes your ship TRIBBLE pixie dust.

Set Phasers for FABULOUS!!!!!!:eek:

Ooooh! Glimmer!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Dear Cryptic,

Are you kidding me? Really? I'm not one who normally leaves the visuals turned on for a Ground Set anyways. In this case, I will definitely not be turning the visuals on.

One can only hope this one of the last things we shall have to suffer from the reign of InvisiEP.

Although, to be fair, I now have a reason to use all those Disco Balls I've been saving. ;)
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Well that's PWE having their say... look at Perfect World... Forsaken whatever it is... all the actual PWE games and this armor is still tame compared to that stuff...

But sex sells... especially to Nerds, Geeks, and Trekies... so this'll sell well.

I RESEN- ..... ah bugger it all your right -_-
  • tribblenationtribblenation Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can tell that these were designed with female characters in mind...unless your male toon is into kitsch. I can see the conversation in the art department...

"All done with these!"
    "Um....you do know these should have been for both male and female, right?"
    "Oh...well, just pass them off as unisex armor. No one will know the difference."
    "Guess we will have to, as the deadline is tomorrow."

The real irony will probably be the fact that the armor has the best stats in the game.:rolleyes:
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wish we could get back to something more like the Omega Force Armor. Compare OF armor to this Disco atrocity and see how bad things have gotten over the past 5 years.

The MACO armour always looked terrible. Proper Saturday morning, watch Power Rangers in your pajamas style. But compared to these 90's UV disco outfits at least it looks like it belongs in the universe.

Omega force and Honor Guard of course have always looked great.
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    This is what happens when you let the federation design the armors.

Exactly. Feds prove time and again they have no style for war, give the contract to someone who knows a thing or two about it!

Now. Looking at the pic in more detail there could be a small silver lining. Some of it looks OK.

Take the headgear away, and the latex suit. Just using the shoulderpads, gauntlets, belt and boots combined with some other armor options. Use a more subtle colour palette and the result may not look so bad. Sort of like a MACO alternative.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lube us up sir, we're going in.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can tell that these were designed with female characters in mind...
    ... ergh... murder-killing rage.. why should always female characters be sexualized like this... It's ridiculous, how that "trend" is seemingly seen as totally OK... And yes, it's my pet peeve.
    But, as said previously, I'm cynically glad that this time, the armor looks horrible on both genders, and not just females, as per it is usual. :P
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I usually like what the art team puts out but this new armor looks stupid.

Try again, art team, I know you can do it.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It looks like some weird fetish stuff.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seems almost unanimous the dislike for this armor O.o.

And I'll add my voice to the chorus as well, it's really really goofy! If the stats don't prove great enough, I might not be bothering with it. I've never gotten an armor for it's visuals alone though. but still....
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seems almost unanimous the dislike for this armor O.o.

Yeah, I'm really hoping they see all this feedback and reconsider this 'design' before they release it.

It's seriously terrible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Add a chest plate to uit and it won't look so bad. That or get rid of the reflective material.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah.... So... why do we have the champions online skins in here now?

Those suits are incredibly goofy.

POWERARMOR! Give us that. Maco, Delta, Undine, the spacesuits from the episode all were good and decent designs.

Heck, if we could start rocking around the gear that the herald used in uneasy allies this would not be an issue.

But the chrome spandex from champions online? no. just.. no.

Good thing i can wear these suits, but display a different skin.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My first thought when I saw them was obviously, Tron. Though a close second was this for some reason...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CiOWcUVGJM

All fear the mighty disco alliance!

for german viewers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQ3gGPk-5Y
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Which designer would come up with such an atrocity and think to himself:

"Yes, this is good, I'm proud of my work, it fits into the Star Trek setting and people will really like that design"

?

Seriously. It's by far the worst costume I've seen so far. I'm betting it's payback for all the justified complains surounding the latest expansion...
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I swear we need a meme of the Boondock Saints saying "What are you going to do, laugh the Iconians death eh funny man?!"
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not a fan either, thank goodness that you DON'T have to use the costume option to use a set though eh? ;)

I will say something here though, and point out that "club" fashions (ie. Daft Punk look) are actually inspired by what folks though of as futuristic/sci fi looking, rather than the other way around... Go watch some old sci fi, you'll see plenty of outfits like this, long before Tron even existed. :P

But no, these are just that bit too PVC catsuit for my liking. :rolleyes: Nobody will force me to wear the costume though, so whatever.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    I swear we need a meme of the Boondock Saints saying "What are you going to do, laugh the Iconians death eh funny man?!"

Time travel destroys the Iconian mind. Maybe dancing in a Tron suit does too.
  • lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that armor took weeks to make from beginning to end, so I doubt any changes are going in now.

Seriously though, the character art team needed to simply ask themselves: "Facing the greatest threat the universe has ever known, what would you want to possibly be buried wearing?"

At least they have a sense of humor!
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the green backpack and the hat/visor.

Shame I won't be able to use the hat/visor for fear of covering up my Vorta aural vents.