Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    xochild wrote: »
    Is anyone else a little disappointed with the updates to the Foundry? Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to be able to make great story-based Foundry missions that can take place anywhere in the galaxy. Especially Memory Alpha, I'm still sad it was locked out. It was my favourite place to go (and I still have those old schemata sitting in my bank).

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Yes, everyone lost access to the Memory Alpha social maps, but the system itself is a Foundry door, i.e. you can make a mission start from there in sector space. From what we've been told, they are hooking up just about every system in sector space as a Foundry door, including existing systems and the new ones they are adding. We definitely will be able to make missions take place anywhere in the galaxy.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Also, has anyone thought of this?

Since there is so much ruckus about Sol being here or there, why not put it in the middle?

Just take out the boarder between Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

That would be really cool, and would make even less loading screens.
    Also realistically, like out in real space, that's how it is anyway. You guys are all ready making planets and stars big, just make Alpha and Beta one big map.

That wouldn't only be super cool, but ppl wouldn't have any issue of were Sol is.
    they can't; there's a limit to how big any given sector map can be, and both the alpha and beta maps are close to hitting it already
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    baconmaesterbaconmaester Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Also, has anyone thought of this?

Since there is so much ruckus about Sol being here or there, why not put it in the middle?

Just take out the boarder between Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

That would be really cool, and would make even less loading screens.
    Also realistically, like out in real space, that's how it is anyway. You guys are all ready making planets and stars big, just make Alpha and Beta one big map.

That wouldn't only be super cool, but ppl wouldn't have any issue of were Sol is.

Have you read anything Taco posted? Theres a reason theres a border.
  • Options
    relornerelorne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Was Running around in the Tribble shard today when i came across a Borg encounter where i was transported out side the map, at first i had a lol :D but then figured to post it here in the hopes that it is only a bug and not an actual game mechanic...???

here is a link to my screenshot
    -- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=402734425
    -- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=402735272
  • Options
    ganeysgod89ganeysgod89 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah when will this new sector space take shape guys?
  • Options
    admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And a question ... will any of the new systems (Ferenginar, Tellar, Trill, Betazed, Denobula) have worlds to beam down to like Andoria, Risa, etc. have today? I personally would love to see Ferenginar.

I think they said no for S10, but I am crossing my fingers for Ferenginar as a social zone with a rare goods market, auction house, and/or stock exchange in a future update. Then again, I liked having Memory Alpha as a crafting hub, too, so what do I know? I just think it would be nice to see the social zones used for something.
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Will the developers also improve the auto navigation? Also I found this Sector Space Revamp Preview.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Admirison - that's a shame. In the meantime, there is - or will shortly be - this that some of the Foundry authors have got going: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1390321 Might be fun to hae a look at.
  • Options
    joe1306joe1306 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Dear Dev's,
    while you're still working at it you may also add the System Benzar to the list, just to have it complete. :)
  • Options
    dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's an epic construction of the known charted systems in the Milky Way. There are still uncharted areas in the Alpha and Beta quadrants. It would be interesting if you placed some areas as uncharted where in the future we can chart this unexplored areas and submit them to update the charts of the different factions. That would really be Exploration...to go and search new civilizations and where no one (from the Alpha and Berta Qs) has gone before.
  • Options
    rapha1983rapha1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Any idea when the sector space walls are coming down???
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rapha1983 wrote: »
    Any idea when the sector space walls are coming down???

AFAIK the date has not yet been announced.

Curiosity drove me to take a look on tribble today. The revamp looks interesting, but at the same time the sheer number of planets/destinations makes navigation a bit of a challenge.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    captainjakesiskocaptainjakesisko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    WISH LIST FOR SECTOR SPACE

* EACH SECTOR 10 TIMES BIGGER - I feel the space area is too small and as a result too crowded as membership continues to increase. I dont feel the vastness of space needing only few seconds to cross a sector. I want to feel intimidated by the vastness of space and excited to reach a destination. It should be so big that I can be in the ship interior doing duty assignments and crafting etc as I journey to a destination.

* EACH SECTOR NEEDS TO BE A FULL CUBE OR DEEPER RECTANGLE - I can currently reach max height or max depth in a sector in a very short time, again confining the vastness of space in my travel adventure. A deeper bigger space can lead to more mission options in sector space and gives people the option of traveling in space without seeing ships everywhere you go.

* GOING OFF THE GRID SHOULD BE A CONTINIOUS FLIGHT ANIMATION - If I leave the edge of sector space I want to keep going in the animation...No limits in space...that is the essence of the attraction...no walls. Perhaps a warning I can turn on or off only. I have seen this in other games and allows me to do other things on my ship or real life. going off the grid by accident or on purpose should just put me warping through the vastness of unchartered space.

* SUNS, PLANETS, MOONS, ETC. - Should be at least 10 times bigger than the biggest ship in any fleet. This is essential to portray the presence mentally of at least arriving at something vastly greater than your tiny ship. If that ship or moon does not have an Instance yet (to visit etc...) there should be damage and noise and shaking etc if entering the atmosphere (as in the instances) I cant express how disappointed I am arriving at a tiny model of a planet or solar system that I cant immediatily enter the instance or crash into a tiny sun...makes me feel Im in a video game..not in space

* ASTEROID AND OBJECT DAMAGE - Obkects hit in sector or instance space should weaken shields and lead to hull damage if continues. Having to take evasive maneuvers to avoid asteroids and space junk feels more real.

* QUADRANT SIZES - each quadrant needs to have the same amount of sectors to portray its vastness also. Populate the quadrants with known or fictional planetary systems, nebula, or other space possibilities until Instances can be spread across all quadrants

* SECTOR SPACE RISK REWARD - Above level 50 (or beginning at level 10 by choice for higher rewards) roaving enemies in space should randomly attack by putting you in an instance if they or your ship enters thier path. If you are in your ships interior you raise shields and get to tactical to fight or leave the instance...at least. After all there is a war going on and this is open space. It is not good that I can sit in sector space with a borg cube circling over my head for 30 minutes and I'm never forced into an instance conflict. In addition if you enter a part of space not of your faction there should be a lot more patrolling enemies that you have to avoid or engage in battle.

* PVP IN SECTOR SPACE - The enemy battle zones in sector space should allow members of that faction to enter and assist the NPCs present. for example Klingons can enter a Klingon battle zone being attacked by one or more Federation ships. In the hopefully in the near future results of these encounters can contribute to which faction controls that sector, Instead of just being a loot grab or battle practice.

* SECTOR SPACE MILITARY CONTROL - STO needa a bigger battle picture and the control of Sectors in space by a faction is a way to measure this. Over a 1, 3,6 or 12 month calendar an overall war can rage determining a faction winner receiving all kinds of benefits and items. This gives purpose to the war instead of just personal gain of stuff and repeatables. Each faction wants to crush or neutralize the other...Controlling the sectors is the best way to monitor and reward that among factions. This is done in other games before this...namely Star Wars Galaxies, Pirates of the Burning Sea and others. there are the battles and then there is the war.
  • Options
    garyv49garyv49 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am looking forward to this, from what I have seen so far it will be great.Good job,and thank you!
  • Options
    alysvanyaalysvanya Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Taco, you would make an outstanding White House Press Secretary, lol. You must be pulling your hair out by now. :P

I have a couple of questions.

#1. With the addition of new planets, and new doors for the foundry. will yall be adding new planets and toys for us to place on maps in the foundry? :)

#2. On my main toon I have achieved the envoy diplomacy level, Now that the, "walls fell", will the Federation players have access to the Omega leonis sector block, and the KDF players have access to the Sirius sector block without reaching level 3 diplomacy? If that's the case, then what are the perks for gaining levels in diplomacy? It took me ages to reach lvl 3 and I'm still working to reach level 4. What is the point in grinding to reach lvl 4 diplomacy if everyone gets the same access without having to grind at all?

P.S. My favorite planet is Saturn...It will be awesome to fly there and chill. I'm excited!! :D
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is truly amazing!

When all the hard work is done, someone deserves his own planet called:

Takophanes Prime!

A rogue planet with a meaty core and crunchy outer crust, littered with volcanoes oozing hot sauce. And mineral deposits that resemble shredded cheese! ;)
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    eagledraco wrote: »
    A rogue planet with a meaty core and crunchy outer crust, littered with volcanoes oozing hot sauce. And mineral deposits that resemble shredded cheese! ;)

Dude you're making me hungry. :D
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

* SECTOR SPACE RISK REWARD - Above level 50 (or beginning at level 10 by choice for higher rewards) roaving enemies in space should randomly attack by putting you in an instance if they or your ship enters thier path. If you are in your ships interior you raise shields and get to tactical to fight or leave the instance...at least. After all there is a war going on and this is open space. It is not good that I can sit in sector space with a borg cube circling over my head for 30 minutes and I'm never forced into an instance conflict. In addition if you enter a part of space not of your faction there should be a lot more patrolling enemies that you have to avoid or engage in battle.

No. Just no. Enemies in sector space used to pull you into instances when you flew into them. It was annoying as hell and I'm glad they got rid of it. That's not a feature I'd want to see return unless they added an option to turn it off.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sov42 wrote: »
    No. Just no. Enemies in sector space used to pull you into instances when you flew into them. It was annoying as hell and I'm glad they got rid of it. That's not a feature I'd want to see return unless they added an option to turn it off.

Heh... And I actually miss those days where you cared about how/where you flew. I remember the first few times flying into a new sector block after ranking up, you had to be careful to avoid the patrolling enemy ships, less ye be destroyed (even though there's no penalty for being blown up, it was never fun, however, sometimes it was VERY cool to get sucked in and be able to overcome the skirmish).

That being said, I agree, there were some times where it was kind of annoying to be bothered by lowly "Tier 1 Enemies", or really any time you just wanted to get from A-to-B (before Transwarping became so widespread), so yeah, having an OptIn/Out feature would be needed.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    sov42 wrote: »

Exactly. Nothing used to annoy me more than setting course for the other end of a sector block and then nipping to the bathroom, only to come back and find I'd been dragged into a DSE. I was so glad when they got rid of that 'feature' and I do not want to see it return.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cant wait !!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Exactly. Nothing used to annoy me more than setting course for the other end of a sector block and then nipping to the bathroom, only to come back and find I'd been dragged into a DSE. I was so glad when they got rid of that 'feature' and I do not want to see it return.

That'll teach ya to not have a urinal near yer computer.

<chuckle>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Heh... And I actually miss those days where you cared about how/where you flew. I remember the first few times flying into a new sector block after ranking up, you had to be careful to avoid the patrolling enemy ships, less ye be destroyed (even though there's no penalty for being blown up, it was never fun, however, sometimes it was VERY cool to get sucked in and be able to overcome the skirmish).

That being said, I agree, there were some times where it was kind of annoying to be bothered by lowly "Tier 1 Enemies", or really any time you just wanted to get from A-to-B (before Transwarping became so widespread), so yeah, having an OptIn/Out feature would be needed.

Since the fed kdf and roms are not at war there is little need for this. However when with XP being so hard really to come by some instances with some enemies may be needed but scaled up to match your level and maybe be some villian who we are fighting again i.e the True Way, Borg, Voth or Undine maybe even a way of introducing the Iconians even bringing in a past enemy like Xindi reptiles or even the Sphere builders can't reall see Jem hadar yet until we start using the wormhole to use the Gamma Quadrant this should be next expansion
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    That'll teach ya to not have a urinal near yer computer.

<chuckle>

LOL, stupid house design, not enough room in the bathroom for a PC!
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Glad they are removing almost all of the sector blocks loading screens, about time. It would have been great if they added the sectors for Iconia and other planets instead of taking the shortcut and simply moving them to different sectors.
    The tour of the galaxy looks more interesting now. An they actually up the award on something, they were determine to keep this a good news only blog:P, give it a month after a release those rewards will be decrease again.

My only complaint is that I wish they finally they gotten rid of transwarp, having three engine types on a single vessel is silly, it would be far better if it was just warp drive and slip streams and actually force people to travel an explore sector space instead of just teleporting every, which transwarp effectively is.

I wish they bring back random encounters, traveling through sector space needs to serve a purpose and that purpose should be random encounters which goes beyond the standard blow everything, add a few puzzles and few of the high quality foundry episodes. Lots of xp opportunities.

I'm glad they improve the size ratio between planets and ships to something a little bit more sensible.
  • Options
    wisphq83wisphq83 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Like the fact that the walls are FINALLY coming down. Sector space needs to be bigger though, constantly running into star's sucks. Also I think a revamp of Earth is in-order as well. We need Starfleet HQ or even San Fransisco itself as a playable social zone. Heck more social zones period are needed. I would love to see more planets like Andoria make it into the game. Zone's that serve no function, but are iconic to visit.

On a separate note, I hope the SOL system will make it into the available doors for the foundry with this update. I always hated not being able to select it as a door.
  • Options
    qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I gotta chime in and put this puppy to bed...

Star Trek canon has always referred to the Sol (aka Terran) System in the Alpha Quadrant. But ONLY in speech. Maps, lists of maps, Star Trek canon puts the system on the edge and can be considered in the Alpha or Beta quadrants. For the purposes of mapping in STO, the Sol System has ALWAYS been on the edge and they nudged it into the Alpha quadrant because people were going crazy about it....kinda like now....

The devs placed the sol system precisely where it should be on the new mapping. Technically its always sat more in the beta quadrant anyway...now, in Star Trek lore, humans have always had this thing with being the race that all races should aspire to. Humans have always tended to take themselves waaaaay too seriously, Neelix even proclaimed this in Star Trek: Voyager season 7 episode 21 titled "Friendship One"

Every map I have ever looked at has always put the Sol (Terran) System in the Beta Quadrant. It's just where it is. But since the Romulans occupy and rule the majority of that quadrant, let's assume humans began stating they are from the Alpha quadrant because it's easier to say that than explain they sit on the border and most people think 3 dimensionally when talking about location. When you talk about the Alpha Quadrant, you need to think 4th dimensionally anyway...earth is the capital of systems and sectors that extend out and down on a Z axis which just can't be done in STO. Remember space extends out 360° in all directions. So while the system site is technically in the beta quadrant, it cones out into Alpha...this just can't be done in STO...not until 3D VR gaming has advanced beyond where it is now...Earth is precisely where it's supposed to be and Taco and the other devs who helped did an AMAZING job!!!!