Install Arc
Options

Nice new ships - but I won't buy

Comments

• Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I, too, am furious that a Dev was honest about not creating new content for an unprofitable faction played by a small percentage of the overall player population. I'm, pissed, for example, that a company would even consider not wasting manpower and time developing new items that won't sell well. The fact that Klingon items don't sell well is also new to me and caught me completely off guard.

Mostly, though, I'm annoyed that a Dev was actually up front and honest about the game.
    .would much rather he lie to me in order to appease the small niche of players who find this relevant to them.

Or you could climb down off your soap box and realise that 26.3% of all characters created are Rom or Klink. Yes they are a minority, but the only way to make them more equal to Fed is to invest in them a bit more. Both factions got dropped short of the mark compared to Fed, and while the majority are Fed characters (even my list shows that) most people have a Rom or Klingon as an alt.

If all you do is pander to the majority, you lose diversity and that is really bad.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Vengeance design is fine IMO. Certainly would be a valid Typhoon battleship replacement if it were allowed to exist in-game. And would fit with the Intel aesthetic perfectly, what with its nacelles having a protective covering over them when leaving warp.

The only problem players would have with it is its size and possible turn rate (turns fairly fast for a ship its size).
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Funny to see that whole new ships are popping up just for the command consoles. Why not add them to excisting ships? I probably already know the answer. Meh, I'll just go for the Dilithium way. Grind Dilithium, refine 8k every day. Then I'll be able to get a new zen ship in what.. 3-4 months? Yeah let's do that. Oh wait. Nope, instantly lost motivation. See ya. And no I'm not falling for the "oh it takes too long.. I'll just buy it from the zen store" thing.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    I think I might buy them. Romulan ones look pretty nice.

Yes, Rommie one looks delightful! Klink one looks bizarrely shaped (like one end of a bottle opener).
    Why are you only playing one faction? Seems perverse.

Cuz Geko killed my Rom alt maybe?! Which also answers why I won't be getiing said Rom ship.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    What percentage of that 26.3 percent is just players making KFD alts to farm contra? How many are just alts that get minimal play time compared to Fed mains? While we cannot get a hard number or percentage here, I think you'll find that regular, active KFD players fall far below the 26.3% stated in your post.

Pandering to the majority means more money. The majority will buy what they're offered. Why spend man-hours, energy, badly needed staff, to fill out a faction that has been deemed unprofitable for YEARS now? This is not a new phenomenon; Cryptic has been stating that KDF is not making money for a LONG time, way before LoR.

Rom was also never meant to be a standlone faction, because having 1 unprofitable faction is still better than 2.
    And how much of the fed characters are in fact inactive, and were created well before LoR, when creation was restricted to a fed character on a new account ?

A lot of MMOs have done several faction with more or less equal love, and it works.

STO is totally unfair in faction balance, them shows numbers to prove they are right to do so. Numbers not biased by the current situation, obviously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    Why are you only playing one faction? Seems perverse.

Playing only one faction is perverse now?? LMAO @ these forums. :D :P :D
    Kahless forbid that someone does anything besides playing STO in their life.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    krisrobertskrisroberts Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would give my left nut for a vengeance dreadnought. Make it happen cryptic and I will throw all my money at you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    anodynes wrote: »
    I don't really like being this person, but this phrase you keep throwing around (here and in the title of your other thread) is the wrong one. Unless you have a time machine, or some other way to see the actual ramifications of the decision, you cannot know that it is ill-fated. I believe the term that you're grasping for is ill-advised.

Example: France's decision to rely n the Maginot Line as their primary means of defense against German aggression between the World Wars proved to be ill-fated in retrospect when the Germans simply went around it.

You're right. I'm not a native speaker so this slipped me. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If there is one thing STO does not need in my opinion its more ships. The stats and traits of those will decide if I grab some. However if I take into account how disappointing the ships of the DR pack were I’m not at all optimistic here. I ended up flying one of em, rest was just for traits.

Nevertheless good job on those designs and the fact that you release non fed ships in a noteworthy number as well.

Are there any news by the way when and especially how Tier 6 fleetversions become available?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'm with you. My RR character doesn't get enough playtime for me to invest in a RR ship (command or otherwise), I'm quite content with my three T5U FED ships, and whilst I had wanted a new KDF ship, the three new ones on offer make me want to throw up. If that wasn't enough, I don't enjoy the game at the moment, probably need a break. After the Dilithium event I think!

3000zen for what is essentially a ship trait just isn't worth it.

I want something that says "We are klingons!! Fear us!!".....not these designs.

If I'm going to spend $30 or more on a set of ships, I want something cool to fly around in. I want klingon designs that look like these....(LOOK IDEAS FOR YOU CRYPTIC)...

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs50/i/20...tRider2007.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs49/i/20...tRider2007.jpg
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well said patrickngo. There are many Klingon ships and features that could be used to make the faction more interesting, currently they are indeed far too neglected.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I will buy a klingon ship if it looks awesome enough... these new ones are just not awesome
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The reason I won't buy them, is because they will just end up obsolete when they release T7 and later T8 ships.

Sure, I will be sitting in a massively outdated T5 ship by then, but I already am, and I won't spend money on something that will just become useless next time they go nuts.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »

Cryptic's organizational base can't handle a multi-faction MMO, they probably lost the people who could when CoH/CoV was shut down. These are people whose excuses have been epic...

Cryptic sucked at multi factions even with COH/COV. Awful. It was so poorly handled, there was no way it was going to work. I say that as someone who bought COV, and paid monthly for less development, until I threw up my hands and left the game. I honestly don't understand why they even tried it with STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Cryptic had nothing to do with CoX when it was shut down. They had sold it to NCSoft long before that. They were, however, the developers when CoV was launched. So yeah, they can make a decent multi-faction game.

There's no way I would call COx a "decent multi-faction game" in any way, shape, or form. The Klingon section of this forum is saying almost exactly what the Villain section of that forum used to say.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Cryptic sucked at multi factions even with COH/COV. Awful. It was so poorly handled, there was no way it was going to work. I say that as someone who bought COV, and paid monthly for less development, until I threw up my hands and left the game. I honestly don't understand why they even tried it with STO.

It could have been worse STO could have been done by the same numpties who mad WAR, the only game I have played that was mothballed a year or so after coming out and then shut down as soon as the liucense time was up. The only reason it didn't close sooner that I can think of was most likely down to contractual penalties they may have had to pay.
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jorumgandr wrote: »
    I will buy a klingon ship if it looks awesome enough... these new ones are just not awesome

Aye!
    If the traits are good maybe... when it's discounted somewhere in the future,
    i have too much Dahar-Master Work to do (order people around etc [DOFF Missions]) to grind argala, so the Command Specialization won't be completed anytime soon.

I thought about the Romulan pack, they come with the usual romulan elegance, but for that i would have to upgrade one Romulan Char... but i guess two (and a halfdone, then abandoned) KDF-Mains are enough at the moment
    Maybe when it's discounted somewhere in the future.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vocmcp wrote: »
    We'll be getting some new ships soon. I love the look of the Rommie one but I won't buy them. Too much grind, to little value in return. Plus an ill fated decision regarding Klingons. I won't be Cryptics cash cow to milk.

p.s. sorry about the sig Taco. I hope you can see it criticizes a management decision and not your work as a developer. Plus it's clear stated and constructive :)

You do realize the game is funded by purchases, yet you claim you like playing STO.

But your not willing to show through actions your support.

Your post causes more hurt than anything.

Not a good thing to encourage others follow your lead and not make purchases.

If your a free to player only, do you really think the advertisement for a purchasable product is solely directed towards you.

People needed to stop complaining that it takes longer to get something for free.

What ever happen to a honest wage for a honest day's work.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I would. It wasn't the absolute best in terms of being multi-faction, nor was it the absolute worst. IMO villain-side you had some very fun archetypes, faction specific story content and arcs, villain specific team content and the like. There was a lot more faction specific stuff to do as a villain in CoV than there is a KDF here in STO.

Could it have been better? Sure. Was there more to do hero-side than villain-side? Sure. That doesn't necessarily mean it sucked.

And updates were generally either Villain (rarely) or Hero specific, which would generally cheese one side or the other off. I remember Matt Miller stating that it was implemented poorly from the start, and if he could do it again, he wouldn't do it the same way. Or maybe not even at all.

There are so many ways it was botched, I could write an article about it. And some have. :D

So, no. There's no way I would point to COx as a model of properly done multifaction games. It's somewhere near the bottom.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I never said it was a model of properly done multi-faction games either. I said IMO it was decent.

LOL I'd say "playable."

If it were F2P, (which I guess it turned into at the end) I'd give it "decent." :P
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    LOL I'd say "playable."

If it were F2P, (which I guess it turned into at the end) I'd give it "decent." :P

The CoV subscription got rolled into the CoH subscription midway through. Towards the end they added a Romulan-like faction to get archetypes from the other side then added side switching and gray alignments that could play and team with either side.

After the shutdown one of the devs said CoV was pretty much a dud for all the very vocal supporters it had as those were about the only supporters it had.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Enh, if you want factions to be "different" then it's largely inevitable for one or more to be more popular than the others. The only games I've played with balanced factions were games where faction was little more than a logo.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg