Install Arc
Options

A Change In Command

Comments

• Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    GOODBYE Stephen D’Angelo!!!!
    Lets hope the new leadership will bring some good wind in our sails.
    And maybe the lag will be fixed so we can play star trek online again :)
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    wast33 wrote: »
    nor makes it heres! and that is the point! pve gets overloaded more and more with every single update, while pvp got nothing but empty promises. LOTS of empty promises...

so.... fair game?!

The game isn't called 'Star Trek PvP Online' or 'Star Trek PvE Online' .. it's 'Star Trek Online'. How the devs decide to manage what content is added or removed is up to them. I speak for me and ONLY me. If you don't like the content, file a ticket, start a lobby, whatever.

I gave my opinion of PvP earlier. I don't do it, but don't mind others that do, so long as it isn't mandatory for character development.
  • Options
    ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So no 3 sector maps means doffing is dead ? and where is the season 10 pvp overhaul ?
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lol, "don't develop" lol... because it's so threatening?.... in which way? now plz one tell me: how would developing pvp threaten ur gameplay at all?! not that it was promised for years, blablayaddayadda (dig the points urselves)

u guys really must be star trek fans lol.....
  • Options
    unionmasterunionmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trelane87 wrote: »
    Sector Space getting combined... either gonna be awesome or a complete disaster, I wonder how doffing will be handled by it...

They have been talking about this scene Daniel Stahl was In charge the first time
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    New guy seems like a ST fan. Hopefully he fixes all the problems that the game has, specially with the DR mess.

On another note, mediocrity seems to be rewarded with a promotion. CTO, really?

Its called failing upwards.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mikefl wrote: »
    ^^^This right here. I enjoy all aspects of a well rounded game. I have a PS4 for when I want to play by myself or with a few friends. I don't hunt out an MMO for just one piece of the pie. It's a big place and room for everyone.

Exactly. Furthermore, over the years, much of what I have seen in calls for improved PvP never suggested improvement at the expense of PvE. Only when assumptions and insults were made by the PvE only community did I see shots directly made at PvE. PvP'ers play PvE too. To presume that improvement should be made only at the expense of another area is a bery shortsighted way of thinking ( no offense inteded).
  • Options
    abryant1016abryant1016 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

So when I say this I speak firsthand. PVP players drove me from pvp.

HHmmm I always thought the fact that you have no PVP playing skills would be the reason to drive a player from PVP content.

Kasaqa
    Dahar master: House of Duras
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lol, "don't develop" lol... because it's so threatening?.... in which way? now plz one tell me: how would developing pvp threaten ur gameplay at all?! not that it was promised for years, blablayaddayadda (dig the points urselves)

u guys really must be star trek fans lol.....

:D.... aye, ONLINE! WHERE THERE ARE BOTH ASPECTS! NOT JUST THE ONE U WANT!

I never said it did LEARN TO READ .. I'm just against MANDATORY PvP ... M-A-N-D-A-T-O-R-Y .. which means there is NO CHOICE but to PvP.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    kurgan2001 wrote: »
    I never said it did LEARN TO READ .. I'm just against MANDATORY PvP ... M-A-N-D-A-T-O-R-Y .. which means there is NO CHOICE but to PvP.

plz excuse the red flimmer on my eyes after being a part of this thread for some time now lol. i got it and edited it out ;)...

sry for misreading u in the first place! (not an excuse, but a fact: english is not my mother-tongue. in short: sry, i'm german :D;))
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    mewi wrote: »
    The only people I take anger out on are, fanboys, Dev script kiddies, greedy companies, PvErs/PvPers that don't give a damn about game balance but pretend they know what they are talking about.

But PvE has just as many toxic people as PvP, if not more. I have ran into many elitist pvEers that think they are #1 cause they can kill a borg cube, they talk all trash until I explode them politely. But don't try to make this sound like PvP has a monopoly on the rude, elitist players.

No one did, people just said they weren't interested in PvP and you and a few others jumped at them, and while it wasn't you that said it, someone else immediately calls Cryptic White Knights on everyone who says anything. Kinda sad considering I'm about as far from that as is possible, I won't speak for others though let us be honest, that's low.

People need to grow up, this guy isn't in the job for a moment and he gets hell for something, save it for when he's been in the job long enough to have a track record at the helm, and people wonder why the devs avoided the forum so much.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Again, twisting our words. Nobody asks you to stop PvP. To put it bluntly... stop being jerks to playerbase, who expresses disinterest in PvP, looking all smug and down on these people. It's like with meal.. some people like apples, but some people don't. Will you go look down on these people, just because they don't like what you do? I'd imagine not.

Is it that hard?

I don't look down on PVErs because they like apples. I look down on PVErs when they're immense gaping sphincters without the slightest clue how the game works, who think they're hot stuff because they blew up a borg cube once, and who really think that the game is totally perfect the way it is and how dare you accuse the devs of being more focused on making the game harder to try and promote monetization- and so on and so forth.

The lack of attention to PVP is something I care about, definitely. But more in general, it is representative of an endemic problem with the priorities and decision making process on the development team. If they can't be arsed to release new maps, scenarios, or the occasional balance fix for stuff they've repeatedly promised or told us was in the grape vine, for PVP, then how can I trust them to treat pve right?

We- by all means we get how difficult their job can be. But there's so many dumb things they do, and so many things they don't do that would be so easy- and I look at all of it and I have to wonder is this a collective decision on their part, is it the guy in charge, is it PWE-

Except we know who it is, because they've gone on podcasts and often very insultingly said straight out how little they think of us, and how they're glad we're leaving the game, not having fun, and made what I'm sure they think are humourous remarks about the lack of attention paid, and more importantly, about the lack of followthrough on promises.

Rebalancing the end game to encourage play but to also discourage grinding the same mission over and over again- that's something that would be my priority for the devs to take. Even before any pvp fixes. I say this as a pvper because nobody's going to join the community if the developers have made it so incredibly unfun that people stop playing at level 55 because the grind is too heavy, and they get too little reward for too much investment.

Let alone trying to max specializations, which is well known to be impossible without endlessly grinding the same mission over and over and over again.

And what's Cryptic's solution to that? To players leaving because the grind is so bad, and other players just replaying the easiest or most efficient mission for that rather than other content because everything is such a gorramn time wasting slog? Their solution is to nerf or delete the repeatable content. To make everything equally TRIBBLE and unfun.

That's not the solution that this game needs, and it's not an action that encourages me or anyone else to trust the developers when they say they've got a grand vision for the future.

It doesn't matter how pretty the rewards, how interesting the ships or enemies are- if everything takes hours to do, months of endlessly repeating the same action over and over again... I play this game to have fun. I don't play this game to have to grind endlessly.

That you have to run something on the order of five THOUSAND elite difficulty argala runs to max out a single specialization tree... that should tell you that you've done something horribly wrong.

But instead the developers are patting themselves on the back- it doesn't matter to them that their game has the player retention of a wet sieve, it's all down to metrics, and the metrics show that players join the game, spend money around level 40-50, play to about level 55-60, realize how horribly the grind is, and STOP PLAYING.

This is, for the devs, ideal. Because it means players are joining the game, spending money and in doing so encouraging other players to also spend m oney, and then showing off what they spent their money on for at least a couple of months before they get fed up and quit.

And that last part is very important, because players playing consume server resources, and as the recent event demonstrated for us: That stuff is in short supply. So it's good that players are leaving after spending their initial spurt of money. Sure they might have spent more money in the future, but the metrics show that it doesn't matter. The chance they spend more money in the future is way, waaaay lower, so it doesn't factor into their calculations at all.

It's all about the money. And in all honesty, for the betterment of PVE and PVP, it needs to NOT BE.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ankokuneko wrote: »
    So no 3 sector maps means doffing is dead ? and where is the season 10 pvp overhaul ?

TacoFang said earlier in the thread that Doffing will be fine.
    He also said that he has been working on the Quadrant/Sector changes for the last three months.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Really? PvEers are more toxic than PvPers?

Take a look at the forums. Take a look at the level of toxicity on the forums. Count the number of folks talking about PvP...won't need all the fingers from both hands to do it. Count the number of folks talking about PvE...going to need an accounting department to triple-check the final calculations.

Folks complaining about PvP folks being toxic is like Feds still complaining about the KDF after the Romulans came out...

...just because there are a bunch of dumbasses that share your opinion, doesn't mean it's not toxic.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The game isn't called 'Star Trek PvP Online' or 'Star Trek PvE Online' .. it's 'Star Trek Online'. How the devs decide to manage what content is added or removed is up to them. I speak for me and ONLY me. If you don't like the content, file a ticket, start a lobby, whatever.

I gave my opinion of PvP earlier. I don't do it, but don't mind others that do, so long as it isn't mandatory for character development.

. The only time PvP was "mandatory" was when the KDF was more less tied to it at the hip for leveling. But to assume that becuase a person wants to ramp up one aspect at the expense of another is folly. This game should never be a zero sum proposition for development.
  • Options
    drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pve gets overloaded more and more with every single update

meantime seriously underdeveloped, Delta Rising anyone?

PS any malcontent saying that Star Trek is screaming PvP from very beginning should seriously consider actually watching what series is about, or better go play some PvP focused game instead polluting forums
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Guess what? You know the reason why I don't pvp. It is not the consoles, ships, lack of maps, rewards, or anything of that nature.

It is simple. The players. Most of the time when I pvp against random people they are pricks, so much so that I get toxic to match them. That is not a good way to enjoy a game so stopped.

So when I say this I speak firsthand. PVP players drove me from pvp.

Edit: To show that I take both sides of the matter.

Bad pugs drove me out of the queues too. PVE players to get their TRIBBLE together as well

You are one person, you make little if no impact on the general outcome of PvP. Your decisions do not reflect the entirety of PvP or even PvE. Your argument holds little weight. Whereas, negligence, blatant lying, game breaking content, on the part of the devs holds significant weight.

PvP and now PvE are both in dire straights because of Cryptic. The only difference here is, a lot of PvPers have been warning people about this outcome for years now. And here we are.

PvP was also a lot more populated back then, before Cryptic started toying with Cash Cow money schemes. Take it from someone who has been playing this game since early 2009. 4-6 months after F2P things were pretty great for PvP. Well populated, always someone to shoot. Very little problems. There was a maco shield issue, and plasmonic leech issue that were bad that were fixed as soon as they were reported... but nowhere near what things are today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    . The only time PvP was "mandatory" was when the KDF was more less tied to it at the hip for leveling. But to assume that becuase a person wants to ramp up one aspect at the expense of another is folly. This game should never be a zero sum proposition for development.

THIS, so much this.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Those will be 19 very sad people :(

Here is an image of the chat channel currently... It is a small number in relationship to the number of STO accounts but this is one chat channel with 288 people currently online and 4000+ members who are still there despite lack of attention. It's still a far cry higher than the low numbers your stating.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/74e65e659f887fa284a88812a5c24a90/tumblr_nj6017U0ky1tl8r0co1_1280.png

The point is, there are people who play this game for all types of reasons from single player story to PvE queues, and even PvP. So rather than fight to keep something out of a game, I would be welcoming anything that keeps people playing and coming to a more diverse universe. It only makes the game better for everyone.

As it is now they have to make Elite play almost impossible just to have something to do for people who waste time getting OP gear and traits. Higher hull and shield points doesn't make the game harder it just makes it grindy and tedious. Getting a better AI is about as wishful as better PvP.

I'm still quite excited to have a new EP and Ricossa is a great choice. I think we will see more communication and quality from him.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know who was responsible for the nerfing of everything and super grinding and dil billing with DR.

But the new guy is picking up where they left off with high praises of it all avoiding reality entirely.

As with the boff changes and the text changes to weapons aka copy paste dil sink, they ironically named "upgrading", I don't care about changes to existing systems.

Least of all, when all they are doing is adding dil sinks and putting up timegates.

Let me guess, dil sinks and timegates in sector space with a super nerf to doffs?

I figure the only positive is they will eventually HAVE to actually add content after just doing timegates and dil sinks, for the last year or so, to the remaining features like tailor and doff.
  • Options
    lowiekelowieke Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    t would be nice if the changes would give way to less software bugs

i mean, assess the bugs and change the game so that the bugs don' t happen
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015

PS any malcontent saying that Star Trek is screaming PvP from very beginning should seriously consider actually watching what series actually is about, or better go play some PvP focused game instead polluting forums

Almost every single episode and movie involved PvP.

Folks act like Star Trek was 50 years of folks flying around hugging while scanning rocks...that there was nobody else out there and there was never any conflict. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    plz excuse the red flimmer on my eyes after being a part of this thread for some time now lol. i got it and edited it out ;)...

sry for misreading u in the first place! (not an excuse, but a fact: english is not my mother-tongue. in short: sry, i'm german :D;))

I understand what you're saying. You want PvP to be redone (more maps, pvp store, trophies, more accolades, titles, etc..) and that is fine.

I just don't want it to become mandatory in the sense that you're required to pvp for essential storyline missions / items / character advancement ie. part of leveling
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    HHmmm I always thought the fact that you have no PVP playing skills would be the reason to drive a player from PVP content.

Kasaqa
    Dahar master: House of Duras

Good job. Part of me is now screaming to put you down like the House of Duras your fleet is named after but lucky for you I have self control.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Congratulations
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mikefl wrote: »
    Here is an image of the chat channel currently... It is a small number in relationship to the number of STO accounts but this is one chat channel with 288 people currently online and 4000+ members who are still there despite lack of attention. It's still a far cry higher than the low numbers your stating.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/74e65e659f887fa284a88812a5c24a90/tumblr_nj6017U0ky1tl8r0co1_1280.png

The point is, there are people who play this game for all types of reasons from single player story to PvE queues, and even PvP. So rather than fight to keep something out of a game, I would be welcoming anything that keeps people playing and coming to a more diverse universe. It only makes the game better for everyone.

As it is now they have to make Elite play almost impossible just to have something to do for people who waste time getting OP gear and traits. Higher hull and shield points doesn't make the game harder it just makes it grindy and tedious. Getting a better AI is about as wishful as better PvP.

I'm still quite excited to have a new EP and Ricossa is a great choice. I think we will see more communication and quality from him.

I hear you and I'm sorry for exaggerating. I just hate lobbying like this. For what it's worth I am sincere in my hope that you get some work done on pvp.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Captains! Our five year anniversary brings a wealth of updates as well as a change in command!...........

Question for newest executive producer: When we will have pvp content?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

PS any malcontent saying that Star Trek is screaming PvP from very beginning should seriously consider actually watching what series is about, or better go play some PvP focused game instead polluting forums

*sigh*... nope, just nope at this point... sure, this game is all about star trek lmao. and that's why we gotta shoot everything and their ancestors to proceed in this game yet, right?...
    btw: i'm into star trek since i watched it the first time with around what? 10 years old?

i played the whole storyline at least once, i did several 1000's of pve q's in this game (like for building a starbase on my own, st'f's, whatever there is...) and put a little fortune into it.

indeed the mechanics, snyergies, gear-design, ability-design screams pvp. but it's ok. why xplain a fisher how to bake?

I understand what you're saying. You want PvP to be redone (more maps, pvp store, trophies, more accolades, titles, etc..) and that is fine.

I just don't want it to become mandatory in the sense that you're required to pvp for essential storyline missions / items / character advancement ie. part of leveling

totally agree :)! i also don't want it to be mandatory! i want everyone being able to play the game the way he wants. pvp'ers can't, as they are forced into every pve content there is. and that is my point in the end. but i'm realistic ngh to see that that last part won't change :(.
    idc about accolades, titles or such. maps, matchmaking, gamemodes, options on privates, ngh rewards for the time put in (they're really laughable; f.e. it's impossible to reach any t6 ship-trait via pvp. u don't get points for blowing up players...) and balanced items/powers (!!!).... such things.

the bad thing is that most of that got promised long ago and nothing happened. i think that's worth some anger for a game and an ip one kinda loves? :(
  • Options
    xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For those of you joining us...

The PVPERS hate the new guy As he is focusing on everything but their beloved system.

The people who travel love the idea Of walls c omming down.

I take the side that brings the walls down
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Welcome, Captain Ricossa!

Does this mean we have to get rid of the ridiculous geckos in all our sig pics? :)

Changing the look of sector maps? Awesome! 'Shaka, when the walls fell..." and we could freely move about in the wide open expanse of space!

bienvenidos, bienvenue, bemvindo, v
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble