What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Change In Command

Comments

• Options
    elvenaarelvenaar Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My biggest issue w/ the map remodelling is that how are they gonna divide the Sol system up? To my knowledge the border between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants goes straight through the Sol system, so will they cut the Sol system in two and you will be able to cross between the quadrants while in the Sol system or what?
    Also I think it's about high time they implement the other half of the Federation too as right now ALL the three factions yap on about how much danger the Alpha Quadrant is in and it needs protecting, all the while most of the playable regions in-game are in the Beta Quadrant, so how is the Alpha Quadrant our concern then? This idiosyncracy goes back to TNG really, but it would be high time already that someone fixed it. For crying out loud it's soo hilarious when you see the Klingons and Romulans worry about the Alpha Quadrant when ALL of the Romulan Empire/Republic and almost ALL of the Klimgon Empire is in the Beta Quadrant lol. Funny huh?
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not that he will take the time (or has the time) to read the forums, which would be sad as he then is only going to get a single POV on the issues of STO, but if he or any Dev willing to share a message from the forums with him, all I would have to say is this:

Please encourage active communication between the studios and the player base. A two-way open line of dialogue, even if biweekly, where issues and questions can be addressed directly not by one dev, but several and, if even only once and a while, yourself.

Most of us know everything can’t be fixed at once, and some issues can’t be really and truly fixed at all. None of us with realistic expectations are demanding a perfect game in the next X amount of days but we do expect a certain level of interaction and communication between the developer base and the player base. Yes, there will be those who merely want to throw stones but most of us are adults; we can all ignore them.

Communication. Routine, interactive, ongoing communication. That is what most of us crave above all. Sure, we’d like the myriad of bugs and issues fixed but we know that the devs are well aware of these issues. What we don’t know is how they’re working on them or which issues they are actively engaged on as opposed to the issues that have been tabled for the time being.

So again, congratulations in taking the seat. You’ve essentially stepped up from 1st Officer to the Chair in the middle of Wolf 359.

I blame Q, but then again, I always do.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A "gimped Titanic" is EXACTLY what the Galaxy class should be. It was a fragile, bloated, overly luxurious space cruise liner built in a time of unprecedented peace and woefully unprepared for any form of challenging duty. The Enterprise-D was destroyed by a freaking B'Rel, for crites sake, and virtually every other one ever seen on screen was also blown to bits. It was rightly replaced by the Sovereign class which was a superior ship in every way, andeven that is no longer a front-line vessel in the current STO timeline though I wouldn't mind seeing a decent refit for endgame that could be like the old Excelsior refit that stuck along past it's prime because it was such a good base design.

The Guardian class is the 2410 successor to the Ambassador / Galaxy design lineage. Perhaps it should have a different shaped deflector dish and pylon options to bring out a little more of the Galaxy aesthetic for those who want that, but no to an endgame Galaxy. It's out of date just like the Constutution and Galaxy whining should go on the FCT list just like the endgame Connie.

I'm sorry, I really can't take you seriously while you're pulling "facts" from your rear end. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think instead of the PvP folks arguing with certain of the PvE folks, that the PvP folks should put PvP on the backburner for the moment and contribute to PvE discussions. Cause they'd likely find some PvE allies that are interested in fixing PvE...which would drive away the particular PvE folks the PvP folks are arguing with anyway.

Just saying, it's not really a PvP vs. PvE discussion...as much as it is a Players (PvE and PvP) vs. Players (Pathetic) discussion.

Cause the PvE (not Pathetic) folks are oft arguing with those same PvE (Pathetic) folks as well.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Good.
    </Vorlon>
    I need a beer.

• Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I think instead of the PvP folks arguing with certain of the PvE folks, that the PvP folks should put PvP on the backburner for the moment and contribute to PvE discussions. Cause they'd likely find some PvE allies that are interested in fixing PvE...which would drive away the particular PvE folks the PvP folks are arguing with anyway.

Just saying, it's not really a PvP vs. PvE discussion...as much as it is a Players (PvE and PvP) vs. Players (Pathetic) discussion.

Cause the PvE (not Pathetic) folks are oft arguing with those same PvE (Pathetic) folks as well.

Indeed.

Just to chip in for the record, I don't dislike the PvP die hards. I personally prefer PvE though that's largely personal preference and in this game mostly due to the fact that I got burned out on the whole 5 or so PvP maps after the first dozen or so times I played each of them.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    If the only Dev working on PvP at the time felt this way and after Gozer left there has not been any significant development time been given to PVP.
    Almost 3 years after that statement why would you believe that PvP figures into their metrics as anything more than a niche market with significantly fewer players than the 11% Romulan faction?
    A niche group who harken back to season 5 as the heyday of STO PvP [ironically Gozer's statement came between Seasons 5-6] be surprised that no development has been given or is likely due to "[PvP] could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way."?

Str8 from the mouth of a Cryptic Dev whom have no Experience in STO PvP to begin with not to mention barely never to play PvP in STO... the only Dev i've seen played any significant amount of time on PvP was the Community Manager BranFlakes before he quited Cryptic.

I would not trust a Cryptic Dev metric data from their mouths, since they never shared their gaming data like WoW Devs did, unless u can enlighten us with Cryptic's own metric chart besides a chart from Steam which only indicates how many ppl that plays STO through Steam.

Besides its a common theme for the Dev's to say KDF and Roms have less players = less stuff for them, PvP have less players = no content for them... instead of trying to make them enticing they decided to do the direct opposite... which is why KDF/Rom factions have less contnent for them = less players, no new PvP content/rewards = few players.

As for the Devs wanting to remove PvP, it was no doubt his opinion like many others in Cryptic is they don't like PvP to begin with... yes, he mention if they got rid of PvP they will not notice a drop of income... but the reality is PvP is still in the game, and if they did cut off PvP at that point they would have lost many thousands of dollars and they would have less players than they have now...
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wow, they're putting more time into sector space instead of bridge navigation. It's almost like they take 1 step forward and 10 steps backward. Bringing the sector walls down is ok, but sector space at it's core is not very trek-like. It doesn't even function like a map. Sector space is supposed to be some kind of map, yes? Anyway, good luck with it.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Our fleet has gone into the shadows of large level 5 fleets to continue to build our ships and weapons, waiting for the SEASON of PVP when we return to show you SILVER & GRIND for boxes players the meaning of person to person combat.
    Was that the sound of P2W bragging of their prowess? {yawn}

P.S. Had great fun leveling up my Science captain by exposing cloaked Klinks and your pathetic attempt at bait whilst trying to hide your Alpha strike. :P
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    I welcome the change if only it brings a fresh set of eyes to the planning table. As for what to do first, and by how much, it's likely that the existing planning already in place will not see much of a change. Longer term (say 8 months +), we'll see Mr. Ricossa's opposable thumb prints on the game.

So, Welcome sir. We look forward to your fresh perspective.

Back in 1990 I ran a comic book store* in British Columbia. Every Tuesday we'd get an advance copy of that weeks Star Trek The Next Generation and Dr. Who (all reruns sadly) courtesy of a gamer with a decent satellite dish. This was pre-internet. VHS-time.

Usually 2-3 days before the episode who show up on our local stations, we'd have a viewing party in the store. It was grossly illegal under canadian law. Just fans who could not wait. Many standing for the 45 minutes. Afterwords we'd chat and ponder what was coming next.

Like you, we were drawn to Star Trek for the experience.

I am very happy that you consider yourself a fan too, and look forward to your tenure.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax

*technically it was three locations, not a chain lol. Edited for honesty.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If the pvpers could have adapted once in the last five years, perhaps Cryptic would do a pvp revamp. :)
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    And you dont own cryptic anything, so stop been a white Knight

how was that comment "White Knightish" hes saying what some of us think...

It is!! their game and they can do what the bloody hell they want to, we play yes but we are merely pawns in the game nothing more nothing less....

I play STO because i want to not because i am forced or made to, so as the saying goes "don't like DON'T play" simples.... ;)
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's simplistic and not perfect by any means, just a casual glance at it; but I tend to see two types of folks in the game:

Group A

1) Find fun in having some sort of challenge.
    2) Want bugs fixed, both disadvantageous and advantageous.
    3) Do not mind working toward goals, short - medium - long.
    4) Believe that rewards should be based on some form of effort.

Group B

1) Do not find fun when faced with the least bit of a challenge.
    2) Only want disadvantageous bugs fixed.
    3) Want everything now.
    4) Believe their mere presence demands they be rewarded.

Group A is not solely comprised of PvPers. There are a bunch of PvE folks that feel that way as well. It's not a PvP vs. PvE discussion.

IMHO, STO would be a Hell of a lot better off if there were far fewer Group B players around.

That doesn't mean turning STO into any sort of hardcore PvE or PvP game in the least.

Not everybody in Group A is looking for the same level of challenge, and if all the crybabies from Group B were gone then Cryptic could work on tailoring the levels of difficulty and rewards for those folks from Group A seeking different levels of challenge and willing to put in various amounts of effort.

Folks with realistic expectations...folks that may have heard "no", "wait", etc, at least once in their life before showing up here, yeah?

There were some folks talking about yellow journalism in regard to Massively recently, and well - to me - almost all journalism is like that, sensationalist tidbits that may have 0.01% truth to them that get spread around like an old game of telephone operator to end up even worse than the nonsense it started as.

How many folks keep parroting stuff on the forums that's blatantly false? OMGHERD, it costs X to do this! With that number ever increasing and the time ever increasing...just a bunch of hysterical sensationalist garbage. And imho, that's where the toxicity on the forums comes from. That's the day to day garbage that's littering up the majority of Today's Post.

That's the TRIBBLE that needs to go, imho, and until it's gone - there's little point in discussing either PvP or PvE...because as long as it's primarily a bunch of babies sitting around in soiled diapers crying cause somebody changed the channel for a second, there isn't anything that's going to happen with this game that's not toxic.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    zathri83 wrote: »
    If the pvpers could have adapted once in the last five years, perhaps Cryptic would do a pvp revamp. :)

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/628/312/bd8.png
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If this is anything close to a 180 degree turn it's good news.

Hell, I'll take a 20 degree turn.
  • Options
    preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We have some fantastic plans in store for the game in 2015 and the same veteran team that brought you Delta Rising is here to execute those plans.

Yaaaaaaay!
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    before anyone laments sto's pvp situation any further, please log into the game and view the total number of participants in pvp ques, or better yet participate in pvp and see how many others are interested. See how many different people you will see from game to game and tell us if you really think there is a point in investing resources to change anything.

Even at its height, pvp matches would include the same players from game to game, suggesting there has never been many more then a dozen people playing pvp at the same time.

*yawn*

No w look at any social zone at all in sto and count the people there, keeping in mind that there are scores of social zones in sto.

It would be utterly stupid and a complete waste of resources to invest in pvp to satisfy the few dozen people who give a damn about it.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Did I read that right....they executed the team responsible for Delta Rising?

Wow Ricossa,you're off to a great start....that's some good news indeed!:D
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,119 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2009/090223-faith.jpg

I Would Say At Least It Can't Get Any Worse But They've Proven On Us Wrong There So Many Times.

Love. The. Link.
  • Options
    tribblenationtribblenation Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So it appears Mr. Ricossa is a big fan of the Borg. Sounds to me like a possible future focus on them and maybe even a dedicated season and lockbox with perhaps a Borg sphere ship?:eek:
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    linyive wrote: »
    Link: Star Trek: Milky Way Galaxy Map

Beta Quadrant has barely been touched.

Actually, no, most of STO is in the Beta Quardrent.

Iota Pavonis, Alpha Centauri, Psi Velorum, Gamma Orionis, Sirius, Regulus, Pi Canis, Eta Eridani, Omega Leonis and Tau Dewa sector blocks are all in the Beta Quadrant.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Sorry. Need to take this for a second.
    Did I read that right....they executed the team responsible for Delta Rising?

Wow Ricossa,you're off to a great start....that's some good news indeed!:D

A gift tuna breath.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pulserazor wrote: »
    before anyone laments sto's pvp situation any further, please log into the game and view the total number of participants in pvp ques, or better yet participate in pvp and see how many others are interested. See how many different people you will see from game to game and tell us if you really think there is a point in investing resources to change anything.

there! there it is! ur sooo (halfway)right! and now: plz guess why.... and as someone who knows how we got there, what potential is in there, how it used to be f.e. in s6 and how many fleets and players that used to pvp would come back if decently revamped (no talk about may new ones/ones that not bothered yet with due to the status quo) i can tell u:
    it's totally worth it!

for the record: i did login....

to conclude: virus, i luv ya man :). nailed! means: i really should stop now :D... meeeh, k. gonna have a cookie :D;)...
  • Options
    abryant1016abryant1016 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Congratulations to the New commander in charge and hope to see some more positive contributions to the game. i've been here since CLOSED BETA and I'm not disappointed with the content.

I am concerned that one BIG OPEN map may lead to increased network lag though. Focus on that and this will be Awesome when released.

Kasaqa
    Dahar Master: House of Duras
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I remember there was something in an Ask Cryptic 2 years ago about making sector space travel better by letting us travel freely between sectors without going through a loading screen. So this has been planned for a very long time.

Sounds cool.

But.....maybe we all need to start calming down.......before we have no devs left to develop the game LoL.
  • Options
    mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So, currently if the sheer number of players in sector space is causing lag and/or rubber banding, change instance or go to another zone.

No more zone walls:

Too many players in sector space causing lag and/or rubber banding?... Tough...

Please, don't do this, pleeeaaase do the smart thing, you guys have a test server, test it before launch, LISTEN to the feedback and fix where necessary, THEN release it. Mother's love, pleeeaaase do the smart thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • Options
    starksto#1067 starksto Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Congratulations on your elevation to the "Big Chair".

I for one am very excited about what is to come.

==V==

:D:D:D:D
    Fleet Admiral/Chancellor
    Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
    Looking for a fun and friendly fleet?