What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Change In Command

Comments

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Absolutely I do. I've seen it in each game that I have played - true only 3 (and one pure pvp btw) But I firmly believe that executives often run out of ideas and are heavily influenced by the loudest and most persistent voices. These are always a small minority and always at the expense of the majority and, eventually, the game.

I wasn't talking about games in general, but directly about STO. Over here it's a life long tradition that Cryptic does whatever they want, regardless of how many people or how loud rant about anything on the forum. Hell, they use Twitter, Facebook and various podcasts fairly more than this place lately.
    If there was a snowball's chance in Gre'thor for Cryptic to be influenced by the loudest and most persistant voices around here.....well let's just say this past year would've never happened.
    Let's consider Delta Rising. It's basically a response to endless 30 second ISE videos that someone decided could end up making a lot of money for the company - so they took the idea and ran with it. They all must want harder content!

No, it's actually a response to the pursuit of pure greed. :D I'm 100% sure it doesn't have anything to do with 30 second ISE videos or such, it's just someone decided the game needs to make more $$$ and what better way to do it then turn up difficulty leveles and make everything almost obsolete so the entire batch of new, even more expensive toys must sell. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Hmmm...D'Angelo has left...well, good luck to the new guy. He says he's been active with patch notes, etc, and posting them on the forum. Does this mean he's crypticfrost, coldsnapped, or none of the above?

He's salamiinferno.

And, hey, maybe this change isn't better or worse but is just... Even Stephens!
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, that's a nice way to make a revamp. I honestly had no expectation of the walls ever coming down, so nice way to make an impactful first statement. Raises many questions. Not only on how big will sector space be, but also will this be coinciding with exploration returning to the game and space adventure zones. Seems like Season 10 is going to be pretty big. Looking forward to it.

Well Mr. Ricossa, welcome to the top of the hill. Rather surprised DStahl isn't making this, but regardless congratulations on your promotion. Good Luck, may the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your tenure.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2009/090223-faith.jpg

I would say at least it can't get any worse but they've proven on us wrong there so many times.

My prediction for 2015, I won't be re-installing the game and however sick and disgusting DR and dil now button and upgrading is, it's going to get far worse than anyone can imagine yet.
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kurgan2001 wrote: »
    I never said it did LEARN TO READ .. I'm just against MANDATORY PvP ... M-A-N-D-A-T-O-R-Y .. which means there is NO CHOICE but to PvP.

Played alot of different MMO's to know that PvP in most cases is never mandatory, i do agree that if u don't want to play PvP u should not be forced to. Since STO is more like WoW than Planetside 2 then there should be no worries.

While speaking from experience from other MMO's, for STO to better game than it is now, the Dev's need to do a better job in satisfying both PvP and PvE communities, which i believe they're not doing a good job in alot of cases. this game have great potential. but to me over the years, i've felt they always toke a step forward but they also take many steps backwards at the same time.
  • Options
    dado75dado75 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    God im gonna get so freaking drunk. Change is good, very good. Who coused the mess.
    Greetings from Za-Gor :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,397 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2009/090223-faith.jpg

I would say at least it can't get any worse but they've proven on us wrong there so many times.

My prediction for 2015, I won't be re-installing the game and however sick and disgusting DR and dil now button and upgrading is, it's going to get far worse than anyone can imagine yet.
    You don't play the game any more? I wish you'd told me that earlier - now I get to ignore anything you say about it!

(My standard policy - when I quit a game, I also quit its forums; anyone who doesn't is posting from a position of either ignorance or hostility, and can be safely ignored.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My hope for streamlined sector space:

With a bit of work put into the forced scaling around systems proper, I'd like to see the following:

Enemy patrols being placed directly IN sector space.

Crafting mats directly IN sector space.

Missions that take place IN sector space.

All non-full impulse style travel treated as sub-warp speeds.

Traveling at warp yields reduced aggro from enemy patrols. Being within about seven lightyears of a destination makes you immune to sector enemies.

Maybe... and this would be interesting, pushing system content into sector space to eliminate the "double space" effect. Such that the space portion of missions actually happen on the sector map.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Question for newest executive producer: When we will have pvp content?
    When will Nibiru be visible in the night sky? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mvp333 wrote: »
    Geko isn't gone, neither is D'Angelo, for the record.

...Anyway, I'd love to be optimistic, but comparing D'Angelo's "Change in Command" letter to what actually happened under him leaves me simply unable to be optimistic.

Pretty much where I'm at as well .

And while it IS unfair not to give someone the benefit of the doubt -- at this point , when I feel between the hammer and the anvil (thanks to the ridiculous timers in group play , and the equally ridiculous herding of players with awards) , I am willing to be unfair .

... the burden of proof is on Mr. Ricossa at this time ...
  • Options
    spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Change in command...

Can one dare hope that the new command will prioritize TESTING things before releasing any patches? :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Congratulations, may your tenure be good and welcome for both players and devs.

And throwing my opinion into the ring.... don't bother updating PvP. Its tiny but vocal minority. Most everyone wants bug fixes though.

Anyway, good luck. :)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For those of you joining us...

The PVPERS hate the new guy As he is focusing on everything but their beloved system.

The people who travel love the idea Of walls c omming down.

I take the side that brings the walls down

Let me take a few guesses why you're taking that side:

1) Having to travel through the sectors like that was just too hard.
    2) Having to travel through the sectors like that was a grind.
    3) Having to travel through the sectors like that required you to do something.

STO's a much better game without anything that requires anybody to do anything...let's all hug while we sing Kumbaya and scan a rock!
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well jon as a developer apologist you don't have your own opinion so you are disqualified from everything in the whole game, as you very well know.

But that being what I wanted to post was, are people sure we are really getting a new EP?

Maybe it's just a reporting error? :D

Ba dum tsss
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited February 2015
    Congraz to the new EP, hopefully we'll see some great things soon.

wast33 wrote: »
    lol, so there's the next one:rolleyes:... naaaah....

and, as already said: the design screams pvp on every corner and did from the start. half of the goodies and abilities are worthless in pve. but yeah.... u know: i never played pve. at all. :eek::rolleyes::D

Star Trek Online Info page
    Become Part of Star Trek®

In Star Trek Online, the Star Trek universe appears for the first time on a truly massive scale.
    In this free-to-play massively multiplayer online game from Cryptic Studios, players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship. Or they can become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy. With our latest expansion, players can work to rebuild the Romulan legacy as a member of the Romulan Republic.
    Players will have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek fiction, reach out to unexplored star systems and make contact with new alien species. With Episode Missions, every moment spent playing Star Trek Online will feel like a new Star Trek episode in which you are the star.
    Immerse yourself in the future of the Trek universe as it moves into the 25th century: a time of shifting alliances and new discoveries.

Adventure in the Final Frontier

Explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations in a vast, expanding universe.
    Establish contact with new races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will influence Star Trek's future. Set in 2409, Star Trek Online exists in a timeframe beyond even the latest movies, so everything you experience will be brand new, but still based on all the fiction you love.

You Are The Captain

Star Trek Online is the first AAA MMO to feature space and ground combat at launch.
    Missions take you and your friends into the depths of space, across exotic planets and even inside starships! As the Captain of your very own ship, it's up to you to lead your crew on missions that span a number of locations. You call the shots, no matter where you are.
    When you're in space, you direct the action - be it in the middle of a high-tension battle, where you can maneuver in 3-D space and fire a vast array of weaponry at your enemies, or as you enter warp to explore parts of the galaxy never before documented.
    On the ground, you lead your away team across exciting terrain, interacting with allies and battling enemies. Every Captain commands four subordinates on the ground, all of which can be directed to act in any manner you choose. Can you lead them safely through dangerous locales?

Total Customization

Using Cryptic’s Total Customization technology, every ship you command can be customized by you, from its color to its construction.
    Your ship will retain a Star Trek "feel," but it will also represent your style. What’s more, anyone can create their own species in Star Trek Online, meaning you can tell your own story about how you came to be in the galaxy. Leave your mark on the Star Trek universe!

The Foundry

The Foundry for Star Trek Online is your opportunity to craft the Star Trek universe your way. With The Foundry, you can create and build brand new missions and stories to share with your friends and the entire Star Trek Online community. Use the specialized toolset to create missions in space or on the ground. Craft custom missions, or really take your creativity to the next level by designing an entire series of episodes from the ground up!

Built by Veterans With You in Mind

Star Trek Online is developed by Cryptic Studios, creators of the massively successful Neverwinter and Champions Online. It’s built on the Cryptic Engine, a core technology that means our designers can focus less on a game’s nuts and bolts and more on creating a game that captures Star Trek’s essence, guaranteeing that both longtime fans of Star Trek and people new to the universe will feel at home.

Join us in Star Trek Online, and boldly go where no one has gone before!

Odd, I don't see a single mention of PvP battles or that the game in fact contains PvP and that is the STO promo page. The way its written you'd think it is primarily a single-player game with a bit of MMO tacked on so friends could run missions together.

wast33 wrote: »
    nor makes it heres! and that is the point! pve gets overloaded more and more with every single update, while pvp got nothing but empty promises. LOTS of empty promises...

so.... fair game?!

STO PvP
    wrote:
    May 12th 2012

How many times have you read a forum post that says insert-random-MMO's PvP sucks? Well, in Star Trek Online PvP actually does suck, and that's straight from the mouth of a developer. It's so bad, in fact, that Dan "Gozer" Griffis makes no bones about the fact that it could even be removed from Cryptic's sci-fi MMO.

"Right now because PVP is in such bad shape we (the developers) have to decide if we think we can turn this problem around. Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way."

Griffis goes on to say that he is the only developer currently working on PvP, and as such he has to make some hard choices. He has a plan, and though he hasn't shared specifics on it yet, he says there are huge changes in store over the next year.

If the only Dev working on PvP at the time felt this way and after Gozer left there has not been any significant development time been given to PVP.
    Almost 3 years after that statement why would you believe that PvP figures into their metrics as anything more than a niche market with significantly fewer players than the 11% Romulan faction?
    A niche group who harken back to season 5 as the heyday of STO PvP [ironically Gozer's statement came between Seasons 5-6] be surprised that no development has been given or is likely due to "[PvP] could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way."?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Congratulations, may your tenure be good and welcome for both players and devs.

And throwing my opinion into the ring.... don't bother updating PvP. Its tiny but vocal minority. Most everyone wants bug fixes though.

Anyway, good luck. :)

And why only a minority play pvp? Because during 5 years cryptic made only pve content.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    [merchandise bubble-quote]
    [worthless hen/egg pseudo-point]

yeah, sry. but that's what it is ;)...

no word about details, just stating merchandise babbling?! hmm, sure.... tell me: where in that babbling it's stated that u gotta blow up npc's allover?

or the history that led to that blogentry/article/whatever?

oh and i got it: foundry is stated in there. that's why it got so much love company-side, eh?!....

*sigh*

not worth any breath more. i carried my point, i explained in several posts in here. dig it, but u won't as we both know. and if u do, u'll most likely won't understand. and that's fine... see how it should be?!:rolleyes:
    have a nice one all...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Now I wonder whether the "warp to deep space" prompt will finally either A: be useful, or B go away. It's been there since I started playing(in season 3) and to my knowledge it has NEVER had a function.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    abryant1016abryant1016 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kurgan2001 wrote: »
    I never said it did LEARN TO READ .. I'm just against MANDATORY PvP ... M-A-N-D-A-T-O-R-Y .. which means there is NO CHOICE but to PvP.

When I started this game to be Klingon meant MANDATORY PVP.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When I started this game to be Klingon meant MANDATORY PVP.

And good thing that was fixed
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Quit your japing!! Its star trek. And not some stupid Battlefield clone.

just enjoy the part u enjoy and PLZ let others get what they enjoy (why talk about the promises?!:rolleyes:)...

but many in here can't let that go. something that even doesn't bother them lol.... trekkies, eh? hmm...
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cheers to you Mr ricossa. I like the sound of the walls coming down, and hope that you take care of doffing, it is one of my favorite parts of the game. I look forward to seeing what you bring us.

Also, I do hope you brought a value pack of fire extinguishers. We sort of need that around here.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vestereng wrote: »

But that being what I wanted to post was, are people sure we are really getting a new EP?

Maybe it's just a reporting error? :D

Ba dum tsss

Well there is more to that thought as just as the first things we got from D'angelo were actually DStshl's last stuff, the next things we'll get will still be from the planning of D'angelo .

... so as the big plans go, it may be a while until we see Ricossa's "vision" ..., but that does not mean he can't institute changes to the stupid timers that have made Advanced a generally unpleasant experience ...
  • Options
    abryant1016abryant1016 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Good job. Part of me is now screaming to put you down like the House of Duras your fleet is named after but lucky for you I have self control.

Our fleet has gone into the shadows of large level 5 fleets to continue to build our ships and weapons, waiting for the SEASON of PVP when we return to show you SILVER & GRIND for boxes players the meaning of person to person combat.

Kasaqa
    Dahar Master: House of Duras
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Nod dude. Play Star Trek or play Battlefield, your choise. But you wont force the devs, to make a battlefieldclone out of this game, so they fail to get the game back on track again... We have the arenas for you guys, and thats fine.

*sigh*..... once again: cryptics history with pvp (which was stopped to get recorded, as it became totally obvious what would happen. nothing....):

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=233254

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=826171

who are u to decide that?! i want to force them?! lmao..... i only refer to what was said + what even pwe stated when they took over.......................

hf with mindless healthbags. i really don't care for ur opinion in this regard, as u obviously don't about mine :P...

btw, as i really hope this is my last post in here for now, again:
    welcome mr. ricossa. be fair, be wise and may the chair fits u ;)!