test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"STO is not only healthy but is growing"

Comments

• aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    That sounds like some sort of personal attack. I hope you have something to back it up. People will just dismiss you as a troll otherwise.

Yeah. Between the 'butthurt', 'emo' and other troll posts, I am still trying to pick out my favorite one.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That sounds like some sort of personal attack. I hope you have something to back it up. People will just dismiss you as a troll otherwise.

Sooooo this thread was not made by you?
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sooooo this thread was not made by you?

I admitted my mistake in that thread. Next please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2015
    If it was only April 1st ... then I could yell April Fools. Perhaps the EP was hung over from celebrating ... "DR is the best expansion ever and the players love it!" :rolleyes:
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited January 2015
    I admitted my mistake in that thread. Next please.

Just going to say something about how little boys should not lie about wolves and leave it at that.
  • narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    :P :Dyessssss. feeeeed on your hatred, let is make you strong!! :D :P
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
    edited January 2015
    Just going to say something about how little boys should not lie about wolves and leave it at that.

Keep trolling along, it just makes you look silly. We are trying to discuss things in this thread, so why not cut out the ad hominem and join the group?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nothing to gain from the storyline?

How about fun?

Fun? Like some kind of filthy casual?! Why would you insult new players with such vulgarity? :eek:

Jokes aside didn't the Steam chart thing people were throwing around to show how STO lost a bunch of players when Delta Rising launched actualy show that while there was indeed a drop off from November to December the game still had a net increase in players, well players using steam at least, compared to the same time period last year?
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would say we shoot each other's head off and call it a day..
    edited January 2015
    Keep trolling along, it just makes you look silly. We are trying to discuss things in this thread, so why not cut out the ad hominem and join the group?

On topic. STO is healthy and growing...no matter what some people think. While there is flaws I have trust that they will be taken care when they can and I understand that the time that I would like those flaws taken care of may not be soon.

And I believe enough in my fellow STO players that they will show the understanding, tolerance, teamwork, problem solving, and all around greatness of humanity that Star Trek shows that we have within ourselves.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kerygan wrote: »
    well the only thing that uppsets me is the fact that they dont let players reply to those „reviews”

I remember a time when they did. If they did that now, every blog post's comment section would be filled with flames. :rolleyes:
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The tone deafness to what Smirk only recently called "the pulse of the playerbase" :rolleyes: is astounding.

Delta Rising has some great content to be sure, and 2014 definitely brought us some good stuff...

But there's a lot more that is deeply unpopular and these guys clearly don't give a damn.

The problem here is that we keep voting FOR all of this TRIBBLE with our wallets. STOP picking up every new shiny that comes along in the Z-Store and Lobi Store. STOP grinding your toons into oblivion, killing mindless mobs with more hp for fewer rewards.

As long as you don't STOP, you allow TRIBBLE like this to continue and be published as a success (with a smile), letting the likes of D'Angelo and Rivera make a damn fool out of you.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
    edited January 2015
    On topic. STO is healthy and growing...

Proof please?
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    Proof please?

Proof that STO isnt? All these hatred by forum dwellers are merely minorities and have no metrics on the real stat.

If you want to base it on in game experience, At one point Sheshar was being opened every minute for hours based on the ingame announcement.

Compare that population to those who have been whinning about the game which numbers a dozen or two. Thousands of customers satisfied customers who dont spend their time that much in forums vs a few players who spends hours in the forums whinning.

Take your pick which should Cryptic listen to a few who claim to be the playerbase or the thousands who are the real playerbase?
    edited January 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    Proof that STO isnt? All these hatred by forum dwellers are merely minorities and have no metrics on the real stat.

If you want to base it on in game experience, At one point Sheshar was being opened every minute for hours based on the ingame announcement.

Compare that population to those who have been whinning about the game which numbers a dozen or two. Thousands of customers satisfied customers who dont spend their time that much in forums vs a few players who spends hours in the forums whinning.

Take your pick which should Cryptic listen to a few who claim to be the playerbase or the thousands who are the real playerbase?

No. Proof that it's growing and healthy. Somebody made the positive claim and now they have to back it up.
    edited January 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »

You're on the forum. Why would anyone listen to you, you forum dweller?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited January 2015
    You're on the forum. Why would anyone listen to you, you forum dweller?

Sounds like an attack on someone's character and that is a "bad thing"
    edited January 2015
    Sounds like an attack on someone's character and that is a "bad thing"

His words :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited January 2015
    His words :D

"When you fight fire with fire all you have leave is ash."

Please get back on topic.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    orange is currently the #1 cryptic-is-awesome and cryptic-is-the-victim white knight CDF (Cryptic Defense Force) poster on the forums. You cannot take anything he says without the world's supply of grains of salt to counteract it. He can't be talked to or argued with, so don't bother.
    Have you ever considered that the arguments presented to him/her/it are not convincing enough? Especially since ultimately - whether you like a game is not based on other people's argument, but on your feelings of playing the game.

I mean, there are plenty of naysayers on the forums, right? Do they ever change their mind? Or can they actually no be argued with and one should not bother?

Or are you assuming that the naysayers are always right? But then, what chance do we have for an argument?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    No. Proof that it's growing and healthy. Somebody made the positive claim and now they have to back it up.

Last year it had more updates than ever before. If it was unhealthy and not growing, that would not have happened.

But I don't have player statistics or insight into STO's financials. But I very strongly suspect that D'Angelo does. He says the game is growing and healthy. Maybe he is a liar. But if he is, then we have no useful data, only anecdotes of individual players, to go on, and the problems of selection bias on forums and all that. So there is no proof for anything.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Too bad the word “healthy” was even mentioned in the final paragraph by the person in charge. If not I almost would have believed it myself.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ktleanderktleander Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Started playing yesterday. Never tried sto before because it got so bad reviews at release. Now im enjoying it fully. Being a ole trekkie fan might have something to do it. So far Im really enjoying this game as a singleplayer game...dont even care about the mmo :D If somebody has some good ideaa about the fps I would appriciate. This game is 4 years ole and should run fluently on my rig.
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited January 2015
    Yayyy! I get to keep my sig!
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I mean, there are plenty of naysayers on the forums, right? Do they ever change their mind? Or can they actually no be argued with and one should not bother?

Not really. The best you can hope is that they either finally decide to leave, or they keep quiet when substantial proof to the contrary is presented.

It seems to be a common theme in all Internet debating. You decide a positon and come hell or high water you do not budge from it. Facts tend to come secondary to scewed perspective and cherry picking tidbits that support said positions.

Sometimes though, someone will surprise you and even go so far as to admit they are wrong in public. It's very rare though.

As for me I really couldn't care either way. If STO looks to still be going strong then all power to it, they must be doing something right. If it folds tomorrow it's no big loss, plenty of other ways to waste time.

Interesting side-note - I was watching Totalbiscuit's podcast last night for a bit and Nerd3 was the special guest. Nerd3 recently made a video for his channel on STO and I got the impression TB will be checking it out as well.

What does this mean? STO is in fact good enough to attract the attention of such 'celebrities'? Or will the Cynical Brit tell his millions of subscribers that STO is a broken, grindy mess?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nothing to gain from the storyline?

How about fun? How about the simple joy of interacting with an unfolding story, learning where it's going (and, on later playthroughs, how you can alter it by your actions), seeing what becomes of the various characters you encounter?

Why must everything be rewarded by stuff? What's wrong with just enjoying yourself? Do you refuse to watch television unless the producers pay you? Do you avoid any sporting events where you don't have actual money riding on the outcome? Do you only like songs you're getting royalties for?

Why can't entertainment simply be, well, entertaining?

I'm having a heck of a time, myself. If you're not, well, sorry for ya.

(Oh, by the way, "NONE" on the Rep Marks? My 500 Delta Marks would beg to differ...)

If you can derive entertainment from those story arcs and terrible, terrible villains then hey, more power to you. If you can derive entertainment from some of the most generically written stories, esp since they stopped doing Faction-Specific Stories long ago, then more power to you. If you can derive entertainment from stories written as if you were a Starfleet captain and not the KDF / Rom Republic Captain you are playing, then more power to you.

"Why must everything be rewarded"...? I take it you don't uderstand how MMOs work then? We're not playing freaking Myst here.

And if all you got are 500 Delta Marks since DR released, you just helped make my point in how uselessly rewarding those "story missions" really are.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In an alternate universe where pink fluffy hippos and purple flying unicorns exist maybe....but not the one we're in.
    Never played a Korean grindy MMORPG, I take it?
    edited January 2015

Remember, if the Cryptic bashing stops then Geko won and some people are far too bitter to do the smart thing and just walk away.