test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"STO is not only healthy but is growing"

stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
Original news article: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9052293

Bahahahahaha.

While I'll give them credit for "STO is growing", healthy is a COMPLETELY different matter!

Bugs, broken systems, endless grind to player dissatisfaction... Hardly signs of a healthy MMO.
stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
Post edited by stardestroyer001 on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    shut up dude, the numbers say otherwise!

Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    The Delta Rising debacle of 2014 is sooo last year.

New year, new opportunities.

Let's see how they keep the 'growth' and 'health' continuing into 2015.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As long as it makes a profit it's the best thing since toast. Usual merketing speak, I'm allergic to that stuff *gruntgrunt*
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Y'know, it could be that more players enjoy what STO is than those who do not. We could be attracting players that don't mind or even prefer long grinds and such.

I could be completely wrong though, but it's a possibility.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why am I believing the contrary?
  • crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "The anniversary update is just over three weeks away" Well well, what will that be.. any thoughts?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    crowley875 wrote: »
    "The anniversary update is just over three weeks away" Well well, what will that be.. any thoughts?

An Apology Event for all the people missing out on their Breen ship discounts because "holidays and drunk and stuff". :D
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Actually the nerfing of everything® is what made them "grow" and is also what they are going to push

Now they've found out people are dumb enough we need to go for 10 million dil for the next set of weapons instead of the Dil vaporizing 5 million.

1600 patrol missions to grind out the next specialization etc.

All of course copy-pasted with no animation.

Meaning Dil Vaporizing is not last year, because it's just a small part of the nerfing of everything®, which is every year, minute, hour, week forever.

Thank you
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Y'know, it could be that more players enjoy what STO is than those who do not. We could be attracting players that don't mind or even prefer long grinds and such.

I could be completely wrong though, but it's a possibility.

I am convinced it is the way you say. The majority of the playerbase doesn't really care about anything, the game feeds on players that create accounts, buy zen for 50 bucks and leave, statisfied or otherwise. Those that complain are to large parts the forum goers who knew another STO, back in the P2P days and mourn what the game has become. That's where the dissatisfaction comes from. Now, some of these surely wear some rose-tinted glasses but after all the game they came to play is not the same game STO is today.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Original news article: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9052293

Bahahahahaha.

While I'll give them credit for "STO is growing", healthy is a COMPLETELY different matter!

Bugs, broken systems, endless grind to player dissatisfaction... Hardly signs of a healthy MMO.

Best YEAR ever and PLAYERS love it :D:D:D

Keep telling it till you believe it:
    http://i.imgur.com/WC2zpzl.jpg
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Them claiming it to be healthy is just as bad as a someone smoking a cigarette and wearing a pink shirt that says "Fight Cancer".
    edited January 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I am convinced it is the way you say. The majority of the playerbase doesn't really care about anything, the game feeds on players that create accounts, buy zen for 50 bucks and leave, statisfied or otherwise. Those that complain are to large parts the forum goers who knew another STO, back in the P2P days and mourn what the game has become. That's where the dissatisfaction comes from. Now, some of these surely wear some rose-tinted glasses but after all the game they came to play is not the same game STO is today.
    Oh there's no doubt players like that. But there could be others. For example, players who migrate from more buggy/grindy games, for instance. Speaking from a player who comes from several more grindy games myself, STO is like a breath of fresh air.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Best YEAR ever and PLAYERS love it :D:D:D

Keep telling it till you believe it:
    http://i.imgur.com/WC2zpzl.jpg

How nice would have been to revive the "BEST expansion EVER and bestest YEAR EVER thread"

http://i.imgur.com/1W2ggfS.jpg
    DUwNP.gif

• kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Bahahahahaha.

Not exactly what was going through my mind as I read the blog but pretty damn close. Can't tout so much about story when game is barely about story. Game is about grind in the bad sorta way. Game is about not being able to feel like you accomplished something in one session because of the grind.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What did you expect from an official statement for the past year ? The game's population is shrinking, a good part of the playerbase is unhappy, and the queues are dead ?

No, everything is awesome !

Sto, to boldly go where no cash grab have gone before !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    Oh there's no doubt players like that. But there could be others. For example, players who migrate from more buggy/grindy games, for instance. Speaking from a player who comes from several more grindy games myself, STO is like a breath of fresh air.

I must be very fortunate in my game playing. I play numerous games and STO is by far, to the extreme, the worse on the grind factor. No other game I play feels like I am punching in a time clock each day at a job like this one does. I know I don't have to log in for the grind and since the "expansion", I really haven't that much. Which says that there isn't enough to keep my attention vs. the other games I play.

• kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    well the only thing that uppsets me is the fact that they dont let players reply to those „reviews”
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Read the article..... What a load of BS.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Name 5 (that are not from PWE) ! :P
    edited January 2015
    I must be very fortunate in my game playing. I play numerous games and STO is by far, to the extreme, the worse on the grind factor. No other game I play feels like I am punching in a time clock each day at a job like this one does. I know I don't have to log in for the grind and since the "expansion", I really haven't that much. Which says that there isn't enough to keep my attention vs. the other games I play.
    If you're wanting an example of more grind, other PWE titles probably fit the bill. PWI being one.

I'd definitely recommend not grinding. Is it really worth it to you? Are you really having fun?

Do what you love to do in games, not what you feel obligated to do. That's Gaming 101. =)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Cool thread, OP. This whole "lol @ cryptic/pwe" issue hasn't been done to death at all...way to push the envelope.

I rarely agree with this guy ^

Ya... done to death...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited January 2015
    If you're wanting an example of more grind, other PWE titles probably fit the bill. PWI being one.

I'd definitely recommend not grinding. Is it really worth it to you? Are you really having fun?

Do what you love to do in games, not what you feel obligated to do. That's Gaming 101. =)

I don't play other PWE titles directly because what they have done to STO.

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Reading this gave me my first hearty LOL laugh of the year. I was almost in tears...

Thanks Cryptic. :D
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Growing? Possibly. Healthy? Hell no. I can't believe he honestly thinks this. Take some time to fix bugs this year please.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited January 2015
    I don't play other PWE titles directly because what they have done to STO.
    That's probably for the best IMO, since STO is one of the better titles, if not the best.
    Growing? Possibly. Healthy? Hell no. I can't believe he honestly thinks this. Take some time to fix bugs this year please.
    They have been.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, at least its possible that 2015 STO will grow.. because according to the charts they haven't had this few log ins since F2P started
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Actually... in my experience... Blizzard is basically the fore runner of MMO grind, and all grind should be measured by that standard.... Which means STO isn't grindy enough yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I, for one, hope it's around for a very long time. Bugs and glitches aside, when I get a chance, I love logging in and playing some Trek-related material for a few hours...

I'd miss it if it were gone... Though my wife probably wouldn't...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's probably for the best IMO, since STO is one of the better titles, if not the best.

They have been.

Not really. I mean they've tried the tray reset issue a couple of times, still broken for some. Ship claim issue, still broken. The ToI stuff. Sure, there's been minor things, but nothing major fixed that's been around for years.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited January 2015
    Not really. I mean they've tried the tray reset issue a couple of times, still broken for some. Ship claim issue, still broken. The ToI stuff. Sure, there's been minor things, but nothing major fixed that's been around for years.
    So you're cherry picking one example of a bug not being fixed as proof that they're not fixing bugs?

Look at the patch notes since Delta Rising.