test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Say something positive about: Janeway

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
As the title suggests, say something positive about Captain Janeway.

I'll start:

give me a minute okay?

She was a captain that would get her hands dirty
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Captain Janeway gave us more to laugh about than any of the other captains. Laughing is healthy.

edit: That was seriously something positive.

Come home and feel like some adventure? I'd hit up Kirk and TOS.
    Come home and feel thoughtful? I'd hit up Picard and TNG.
    Come home after a rough day and need a laugh? I'd hit up Janeway and VOY.
    Come home and need to get to sleep? I'd hit up Sisko and DS9.

I can't think of any reason I'd have for watching Archer and ENT...hrmmm.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    She gave Feds, the Klingons, and the Republic great gear and science.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    She was not quite as miserable of a failure as Neelix?

When she wasn't written by Jeri Taylor she occasionally was a mildly enjoyable character rather than a Mary Sue?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    She was not quite as miserable of a failure as Neelix?

When she wasn't written by Jeri Taylor she occasionally was a mildly enjoyable character rather than a Mary Sue?

in other words, she wasn't written by moffat?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    She proved that Starfleet has female captains. Think about it - other than like maybe three TNG episodes ('Yesterday's Enterprise', that Klingon civil war one, and 'All Good Things'... and one of those was a time-travel future scenario), when had we seen a female Captain prior to Voyager?

Unnamed (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)
    Captain Silva La Forge (TNG)
    Captain Phillipa Louvois (TNG)
    Captain Tryla Scott (TNG)

I'm probably forgetting others, and I didn't think to list any of those mentioned on various dedication plaques or in dialogue.

And oh yeah, that's just Captains...that's not including the various female flag officers.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Got nothing for Captain Janeway. Admiral Janeway violated the Temporal Prime Directive to get her crew home earlier and saved some of her crew's lives. She also crippled the Borg in the process.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Up until Season 3, she was actually a fairly responsible captain.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    She had... Interesting hairdos...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am very positive she enjoyed a good cup of coffee.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...she liked coffee.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited December 2014

something positive about Captain Janeway
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,067 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Janeway did the best she could with limited resources. Besides too many writers deciding her character, Janeway's ultimate goal was to get her crew home safely.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    something positive about Captain Janeway

You kitty, win the thread!
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Janeway did the best she could with limited resources. Besides too many writers deciding her character, Janeway's ultimate goal was to get her crew home safely.

that is indeed the problem.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,377 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm positive that if Janeway had remained in Federation space, where she could have her every decision backstopped by Command, she'd have been a fairly competent CO. She was out of her depth in the Delta Quadrant, is all.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited December 2014
    She rose to the rank of Admiral remarkably fast (probably bought an XP Boost once she returned to ESD, but still...)

She never promoted Harry Kim.

She developed transphasic torpedoes.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,067 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I think what promoted Janeway to Admiral was 7 years in the Delta Quadrant without backup, new record for First Contacts, collecting a wealth of data on the Delta Quadrant, and dishing out a pretty good blow to the Borg.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think what promoted Janeway to Admiral was 7 years in the Delta Quadrant without backup, new record for First Contacts, collecting a wealth of data on the Delta Quadrant, and dishing out a pretty good blow to the Borg.

Hrmm, I thought it was a case of wanting to put her at a desk and keeping her away from any starships....

Still, compared to all the trouble that befell ships after Worf was promoted to LCdr on the other hand...
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Janeway made happy salamandre-babies with Paris. And then she totally ignored him and pretended it never happened.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,377 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    And then she totally ignored him and pretended it never happened.
    As one does.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    As one does.

They didn't even keep the salamander babies:(.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    I thought a more interesting end scene would have been Neelix offering up a new Talaxian favourite: Amphibian Delight.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    She was a science-track to captain, and in the TNG era, it seemed rare for people interested in captaincy and exploring the unknown actually to be previously scientists in Starfleet (lot of helm officers going command line).
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Unnamed (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)
    Captain Silva La Forge (TNG)
    Captain Phillipa Louvois (TNG)
    Captain Tryla Scott (TNG)

I'm probably forgetting others, and I didn't think to list any of those mentioned on various dedication plaques or in dialogue.

And oh yeah, that's just Captains...that's not including the various female flag officers.

Virus, I'm suprised at you. Capt. Rachel Jarret of the U.S.S. Enterprise... (C). :)

BCW.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They didn't even keep the salamander babies:(.

What makes you think they didn't? I heard that Neelix served his infamous Mystery Meat stew the week after they left that planet.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Mommy,
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I'll start:

give me a minute okay?

She was a captain that would get her hands dirty

thats not a positive considering the way starfleet works.

heres a positive, she killed trillions of bad people and has been known to relentlessly pursue renegade starfleet captains.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Mommy,