What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Q's Winter Wonderland Event Returns!

Comments

• Options
    pheonixwolf101pheonixwolf101 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Love the new additions and a dedicated carrier ship for tier 6!
  • Options
    yahtzeemanyahtzeeman Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tides of Ice is broken, nobody is getting rewards at the end.
  • Options
    wyldremix2283wyldremix2283 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I can confirm tides of ice not giving credit towards the accolade/store unlock. I've ran it three times this afternoon and all three times the end bonus rewards and event complete notice has not shown up. :( Also snowman as well as gingerbread colonists for rescuing in the winter invasion event are still appearing below ground.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    cant believe the winter wonderland is here........ makes me teary-eyed
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Come on cryptic fix your bs event rep I hav th chell grett and supposebly your patch was meant to resolv the refund issue and surprise surprise it didnt on any of my alts makes me wonder if its worth going for the carrier as this may not be refunded on my alts either. And ys I also tried talking to Q h was no help
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sufreasufrea Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Frist time posting here, but I thought this would help a lot of people out if I did so, here goes:

I notice, as many folks did, that Tides of Ice rarely gave a completion or a count toward the accolade "A Line in the Snow." Post-patch, 11 Dec. To get around this, I changed to zones with as few people as possible, or a zone that was totally empty. So far, with one or two people participating in the event, I always recieved a reward, and so did my partner.

I killed the queen. I had the ginerbread squad, mortar, turret, caltrops and Hail. All that probably isn't necessary, but I wasn't going into that fight to lose.

Anyways, hope this helps.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Come on cryptic fix your bs event rep I hav th chell grett and supposebly your patch was meant to resolv the refund issue and surprise surprise it didnt on any of my alts makes me wonder if its worth going for the carrier as this may not be refunded on my alts either. And ys I also tried talking to Q h was no help

Check this thread;
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1324881

Official word back from jheinig;
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21221111&postcount=60
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Thanks for this but they should have made sure it was working before the event as this is damaging a already shoddy reputation
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Thanks for this but they should have made sure it was working before the event as this is damaging a already shoddy reputation

I don't disagree with that at all. Though sadly with every patch I have come to expect more problems than fixes.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    qkey1qkey1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am really trying to win at the Fastest Game on Ice, but becoming Increasingly Frustrated cause I can't seem to win no matter what I do...doesn't matter what Trick I try or how I try to learn how to win, I can't do it I only have 45 Picutres out of 1000 and i really want this T6 Ship...

:(
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qkey1, try running the course without getting the mission and practise. I did thios and now can win 90% of my races on the first try.

What I do is run full out on straights and slide around corners, halfway through the corner slide I turn to face where I want to go and start running that way. It works for me. And I don't have the Winter Boots.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qkey1 wrote: »
    I am really trying to win at the Fastest Game on Ice, but becoming Increasingly Frustrated cause I can't seem to win no matter what I do...doesn't matter what Trick I try or how I try to learn how to win, I can't do it I only have 45 Picutres out of 1000 and i really want this T6 Ship...

:(

The poster above me made a great suggestion -- do practice runs .

It might also help if you think of the race in two phases , as it has two .

- The first one (about 2/3 of the course) is about you developing a distance from the Q puppet (Breen , spider ect.) .
    This means that is has a number of relatively straight lanes (with minor curves) , which you can run fast (by pressing down on the "Up" key and hitting the "Shift" key for extra running speed) .

The trick with the running speed is to stop on a dime (to turn) .
    To do this , let go of the "Up" key , and hit your spacebar -- this will make you jump and then stop .
    After this , use your "Left / Right" keys to change direction and start running again using "Shift" .

- The second part of the race is the last 1/3 part of it .
    Here you do better without pressing the "Shift" key , as you have a lot of turns to make .
    If you have used the above strategy and developed a distance between you and the other racer , then you can just run along at normal speed (without "Shift") .

After the last turn , when you can see the finish line , use "Shift" again , to reach the finish line .

Hope this helped ! :)
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I had a great idea for a winter version of the subspace party amplifier: The Subspace Choir Hymms Amplifier. Rather than a disco ball, it's a zone that rains snow like the winter tribble, while playing a random selection of christmas medleys in the area. Maybe make a special 'swaying' dance sequence that afflicts people in the area.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Any clue what I do with this gingerbread army of minions I'm accumulating ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In the spirit of the holidays..

I so wish there was a way to help out people who, for one reason or another, can't seem to get the hang of the race or have a hardship that prevents them for doing so.

I would definitely volunteer to run as a proxy for someone or donate my Q pics if it were possible.

And yes I know some people will try to take advantage, they always do, but if we just do nothing because a few others will take advantage, what a sadder world this will be.

:)

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I rarely mess-up (usually when I'm not paying attention) the ice run.

Just run (press & release shift) and use strife (sideways direction) keys, default is Q and E, and use the mouse to point the characters direction. I personally don't notice a difference with the boots - you don't need them.

Strife in the direction you want to go BEFORE you get to the turn. On the slight turns and winding paths, you can just go straight.

Takes a little practice but you'll get the hang of it, you'll rarely so off the path and your NPC opponent will never catch up.

Remember once one character gets the 1000 photos and gets the ship, your other characters will get it on a discount, 40 photos I think.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    euripidiaeuripidia Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There are lots of strategies that work, but the one I think that would be the simplest for someone having difficulties to practice would be to consider the race has having three basic skills you need to be able to execute. The first one is the one everyone does, and that's to recognize where there are significant straightaways or s-curves that can be shot through with basically a straight line. There you tap shift to accelerate and run forward as fast as possible.

The second are turns you have to navigate that are about 90 degrees or less. Those can be best navigated by releasing the keys so you coast into the turn, *but* aiming for the inside corner of the turn so you just catch the white part. The blue part of the track is the most slippery, but the white parts have a lot more traction, and many players don't realize there is some (small) amount of white that is in-bounds. It can take practice to make sure you don't go out of bounds but skimming the white means you'll skid to a slow or stop faster, and if you use your mouse to turn your view into the direction of the turn and press W (forward) and hit shift while you are actually skidding on the white (not before) your feet will grab the ground a bit and you'll turn much faster. Its a quicker and easier (with practice) turn than anything else.

Finally, there are a couple of hairpin turns where you turn almost 180 degrees. The easiest (with practice) way to navigate those is to practice using your mouse to turn into the direction of the turn as you approach it, and then double-tap your W key to combat-roll in that direction. That will instantly stop you from skidding and roll you in that direction. You will be at a standstill and have to start picking up speed again, but its the easiest way to deal with hairpins without going out of bounds and getting DQed.

So: straight-away: tap shift and run forward. Turn: slide into the turn, aim for the white (cutting the corner *slightly*) and as you skid to a stop start moving forward out of the turn. Hairpin: mouse-turn into the new direction, double-tap W to combat roll that way, and then continue on. Anything else: jog forward normally until you get to one of these three. Unless you TRIBBLE up badly somewhere or accidentally go out of bounds, that will win 95% of the time. And honestly, I think if you can get just three accelerated straight-aways and either jog or combat-roll the turns reasonably, that's enough to beat the NPC most of the time.

I see a lot of players making a mistake they would never make in a car: moving at full speed into a turn and then trying to negotiate the turn, then slipping right off the track or having to emergency stop with a jump or roll. I think if you lose a couple races you start thinking the NPC is really fast, when its actually not very fast - just slightly faster than you are in a jog. Because its faster than you are in a jog, you need a few bursts of speed to beat it. But you do not need to go all out to win. Once when I wasn't really trying hard the NPC overtook me before the halfway point of the race. Running just as I describe above without doing anything crazy I overtook the NPC just at the last hairpin and beat it easily. It doesn't take much. But if the NPC psyches you out, trying too hard to beat it can actually slow you down overall and cause you to lose.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Winning the race is easy. Use shooter mode. Period end of sentence! Hit B just before the race starts and you can actually steer. All the other tips above will just help you win by more. But if you can't win in shooter mode it might be time to quit gaming. I'm an old guy and it's a joke for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Winning the race is easy. Use shooter mode. Period end of sentence! Hit B just before the race starts and you can actually steer. All the other tips above will just help you win by more. But if you can't win in shooter mode it might be time to quit gaming. I'm an old guy and it's a joke for me.

You don't actually have any more traction in this mode than any other - I just tested to confirm. The big disadvantage of this mode is that you can't easily see where the turns are coming up. Its possible it happens to work for you, but I would not recommend doing this for someone actually having trouble winning the race or consistently staying on the track.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Any clue what I do with this gingerbread army of minions I'm accumulating ?

I think the Pie Contest Breen may have a suggestion or two.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    euripidia wrote: »
    You don't actually have any more traction in this mode than any other - I just tested to confirm. The big disadvantage of this mode is that you can't easily see where the turns are coming up. Its possible it happens to work for you, but I would not recommend doing this for someone actually having trouble winning the race or consistently staying on the track.

I don't think he was suggesting it because it provides more traction, it's just because you have much more control over turns using a mouse than you do with the keyboard.

Personally I just hold down the right mouse button (key combo to lock it on is also handy) as it makes running around a lot easier. Though still the only real 'solution' for traction on the course is to jump or roll which instantly stops you.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't think he was suggesting it because it provides more traction, it's just because you have much more control over turns using a mouse than you do with the keyboard.

Personally I just hold down the right mouse button (key combo to lock it on is also handy) as it makes running around a lot easier. Though still the only real 'solution' for traction on the course is to jump or roll which instantly stops you.

That's what I do - use right mouse to steer. Although I often roll to prevent out of bounds slides, I did have two runs yesterday using corner-cutting that had no jumps or rolls: its hard, but not impossible (but not recommended for players having difficulties).

Although I will say that while testing the shooter mode, I did accidentally discover how people were shooting snowball weapons at random non-NPC targets. I honestly had no idea how people were doing that, because I don't use that mode myself generally. I can report it does not help your racing ability at all to suddenly draw your snow pistols and start shooting up the course in the middle of the race.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Breen Plesh Brek Raider not giving account wide unlock/discount when you complete the rep project. Please look into it and fix.
  • Options
    zal1313zal1313 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I spent 100 Million EC on lobi crystals to get the Breen Raider for all my toons on my account. I Have the new carrier. Whats wierd is when I try to claim the raider on the guy who just got it they want 1000 pics of Q instead of 40 Pics. It also wants 1000 pics for the carrier I already have. Can you Please fix the account unlocks. If you cant just change the prices of the Raider and the Chel Gret to 40 Pics. Easy fix.
  • Options
    galantdramongalantdramon Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Okay, just got my 1000 pic Raider, and I can't get the reduced cost. I've logged off/on, opened it, readied it, flown around in it, etc, and yet it doesn't register for the event.

Heck, the toon that flew around in it, didn't show a discount for the ship.

Now, the other two ships are working fine, it's only the Raider that isn't showing the discount.

I've also checked, on every toon, and I have no Raider project currently selected/ongoing/etc.

The notes said "talk to Q", and I've done that too...is there a Q on a specific planet or something, do I need to wait X number of days for it to see it, or what?
  • Options
    bucklerpwbucklerpw Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I just bought a Breen Chel Grett Warship on a KDF character for 1000 pics. The discount was not unlocked for any of my other characters. What do I need to do to trigger the 40 pic price? I had one of these ships on a Fed character from a few years ago. The price reduction was not triggered for having that ship in my account. I grind for the 1000 pics and again no discount. :( I have two of these ships on my account now from the full grind.

I'm grinding on two other characters for the 1000pics to get the other two Breen ships. Will they not be price reduced for my alts either?

I'm hoping this is a bug or a glitch. :D
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bucklerpw wrote: »
    I just bought a Breen Chel Grett Warship on a KDF character for 1000 pics. The discount was not unlocked for any of my other characters. What do I need to do to trigger the 40 pic price? I had one of these ships on a Fed character from a few years ago. The price reduction was not triggered for having that ship in my account. I grind for the 1000 pics and again no discount. :( I have two of these ships on my account now from the full grind.

I'm grinding on two other characters for the 1000pics to get the other two Breen ships. Will they not be price reduced for my alts either?

I'm hoping this is a bug or a glitch. :D

This is why I'm not going to turn in the 1000 photos for the Chel. I have the other 2 ships with proper discount but to turn in 1000 on each of the 4 characters who don't have the Chel seems more than extreme. I figure if I must experiment with the full set I'll just do it with the 1 character who has all 3 ships and be happy with that.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Any ETA on when the Breen Warship Discount issue will be fixed? My character already has a Breen warship, but it still says I need 1,000 Q portraits to get one for another character.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kpg1usa wrote: »
    Any ETA on when the Breen Warship Discount issue will be fixed? My character already has a Breen warship, but it still says I need 1,000 Q portraits to get one for another character.

I have a Plesh Brek. Still need 1000 portraits to get a new one.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
This discussion has been closed.