What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Q's Winter Wonderland Event Returns!

Comments

• Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Two years ago I claimd the Chell grett now claimed the raider for the discount but the chll grett is saying 1000 it this right or a bug?
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Would it be possible to get a PvP Winter map for next year? Give each faction a snow fort that they need to defend. Using snowballs only, they can attack the opposing teams fort trying to destroy it. Using snowballs, teams cal also attempt to repair damage to their snow fort with their snowballs in their inventory. Have it something like a 5v5 or even a 10v10 event. Include an optional where a team can destroy a wall into the opposing teams fort to capture their flag for some extra ornaments. This flag would basically be a first come, first serve to get the extra ornaments. The first team to completely demolish the other teams snow fort would win the match.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There is a reliable way of making the NPC fail to spawn in the PvE race. Hint: It involves something you'd do if you forgot to run STO through Steam... ;)

I discovered it by chance - not that I need it that badly.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    xoelloexoelloe Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    Been doing that. (Along with about fgour other strategies.) Using your suggestion - I can safely navigate the track, but I fall so far behind that the opponent reaches the finish line before I can even see it.

I wish there was some sort of repeat-failure mechanic like there is in the most similar standard episode ("Night of the Comet"). That or some sort of wearable that cancels out sliding completely is about the ONLY way I would be able to do this.

I disagree with the "it just takes practice". I honestly don't think I'm close enough to making it that ANY amount of practice would help. I've already wasted four hours on it and I cannot get within sight of the finish line without hitting either the track position failure or the opponent reaching finish line failure. It's not even close.

This game is not for you then. Don't do it. Yes, it does take a little bit of practice only, whatever you think though.

Quitting is not always humiliating, just save yourself the trouble then.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Two years ago the new redo Rep system wasn't around, they only started using this last year. So it's working.

( I can't believe I actually said a Cryptic system is working..........I feel so dirty. :eek: )

It is actually a bug, and a fix is coming. Already gone live on Tribble.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    warlockx1warlockx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rushatsi wrote: »
    forum pvp aint allowed and no flaming the devs (eyerolls)!! if u dont wanna play it dont play it. no whine and follow the rules.

How dare someone voice their unhappiness with the game right?
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So far I'm having lots of fun with the event. Doing the race for the carrier for my Romulan. Almost bought my jacket, and next will be a hat.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The gingerbread man with the snowborg sounds a lot like Wallace Shawn, especially with his alarmed voice as the snowboard advance. Is it actually him? Or is that inconceivable!?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    BUT that means I cannot get the event ships.... even though the dev blog (originally) said that only participation was required - not victory. THAT is why I am so upset... they lied, and there's no alternative for those players (like myself) who find the race unwinnable.

I still question the "little bit of practice" theory, too. How exactly is "a little bit of practice" going to improve my performance such that I am able to beat an NPC who is currently reaching the finish line before it is even VISIBLE? I mean, if I was losing by a small amount, I can kinda see it. But I just don't see that amount of improvement being reasonable to expect.
    what exactly are you doing? I've have a few minor issues myself, but that is related to how I made my character run faster. It's very important to remember that the NPC moves at a jog. you don't need to do much running to win, IF you can avoid sliding out of control. It does take considerable practice, for a start you should try to only run the first half or so of each relatively straight stretch and jog the rest.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have a stupid question and I really didn't have time to sort through 464 posts so I'll just ask. Is it safe to assume that the starship trait from the Breen carrier only affects hanger pets, and not other combat pets, i.e. the saucer from the Galaxy class, or the different parts of the MVAE? I know in the description it said hanger pets, but I thought I'd ask anyway...just because I'm a special kind of stupid.:)
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    [snipped: specific patch note trash
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    So apparently you will still need to complete Tides of Ice 10x on a character but it will now unlock for your entirre account which makes it alt friendly. Hopefully the end - boss for mission will get a HP boost she seems to die rather quickly atm.

Just a short while ago, participated in all 9 waves and the Queen on Tides of Ice (wave 10), no credit. Have fully completed this about 12 times on one character, getting credit for 4. It's bugged, and nothing in the patch notes actually addresses the real issue.

Getting really damn tired of this TRIBBLE from these idiots.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    qqqqii wrote: »

Just a short while ago, participated in all 9 waves and the Queen on Tides of Ice (wave 10), no credit. Have fully completed this about 12 times on one character, getting credit for 4. It's bugged, and nothing in the patch notes actually addresses the real issue.

I had the same issue, although the ratio you mention is exaggerated, at least for me. No counter at the end(last wave 10) and checking the accolade shows it was not recognized as completed, the count does not increase. It is a bug. Saying that, I have completed the accolade on another toon already w/o any problems. That should affect the gating on my other characters, no? Well they don't. At least not yet. I assume that needs a future patch?
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    qqqqii wrote: »

The very first line of the patch notes addresses that issue;
    It is now easier to gain completion credit for participating in “Tide of Ice”.

Cryptic may not like to elaborate very often, but I'm pretty sure that's the fix you're wanting. All we can do is wait and hope that they decide to put this onto Tribble before the thread gets much bigger with people reporting this bug which has already been fixed.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nice work on this event....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The look of the redone winter wonderland map has grown on me the more I'm there. It's definitely a case of the teaser screenshots not really doing it justice. I had my doubts, but now I for one welcome our translucent ice floor overlords.
  • Options
    ironfist123abcironfist123abc Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    YA! Winter Event Is back. With new Guns,Devices,Winter Clothes, And a new Event Mission COOL!.......No really its cold When can we use Flamethrowers :)
    Star trek VS Star wars [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think this is one of the better events that happens in STO. The weapons and Gingerbread Village STF are the best part. The ship offers they have for the photographs are meh I feel but I don't really care for Breen ships. I wish there were places to ice skate all year round. That mechanic really is nice too.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am going to try and make a point, from my opinion, and hopefully convey it constructively. I enjoy the Winter Wonderland event but adding a mandatory grind with, Tides of Ice, has kind of spoiled that event for me. I wanted the stuff in the store and had the ornaments to get them with but not being able to get them because of a mandatory 5 runs for new snow weapons and 10 runs for the Breen Warp Core has caused me a bit of a burn out on the event.

I usually run the events I like almost daily, when I have time over the entire length of the event. This allows me t build up enough stuff to get plenty of jackets for my fleetmates along with everything I want for my characters. I did grind out the 10 (more like 15 thanks to it being bugged) during the first two days to get my warp core and new weapons. Sadly, because of this, I don't have any motivation to play, Tides of Ice, anymore. This isn't anything to do wit the particular event itself, but being forced to grind it t get what I should have been able to when the event started, has caused me to burn out on the new addition.

I don't mind the daily race because it lasts about 2 minutes from start to finish. Tides of Ice isn't so bad either but it is a tad long. I hope next year, we see the amount of snowmen waves reduced to 7 waves. If PWE really wants to time gate more items in the future, I, personally, would prefer the short daily with a 20 hour cooldown. Please keep this in mind with the entire grind system that plagues this game in so many different ways. If the content you add is good, and Tides of Ice is good. Then you don't need to attach a grind to it to get players to play it. If you really do want to reward us for our continued enjoyment of the event, please look at the daily 20 hour cooldown versus just 10 grinds of an hourly event that will more than likely cause some players burnout on the content.

I was also disappointed to not see Ferengi Yoda make a return with all of the new Star Wars hype going on.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ok so read like 50 posts, didnt see an answer but similar questions.. Ive done 20 tides (2 chars have accolade) need it on a 3rd for warp core.. Ive heard they will make it acct now.. but havent found anything to support that.. So will this be patched? 1 char does 10x tides, acct unlocks? or is that just wishful rumoring? (if it does unlock I will prolly get the warp core on all 10 chars instead of just 3)
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To answer the question kintisho, the tides of ice 10 run account unlock, is on tribble now an will be going live this Thursday, check tribble dec 5th patch notes, hope this helps.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well that was weird, at ~1445(central US) everyone in QWW got a DC at the same time. O_O'
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A couple of small observations about the Winter Epohh Researcher in Q's Winter Wonderland, and maybe a name change to come from it.

Why does the researcher call the epohh pets as "P'Epohh"? And why does the researcher have a different naming system where she says "P'Epohh-mint pup with bow" (where the bow makes it a rare pet) from the item in my inventory which is called "Epohh pup with bow - P'Epohh-mint"?

As players, I do not call them P'Epohh and I highly doubt anyone else does. It would also seem to me that the team that creates and names these items do not know what the team creating the NPC do, and vice versa. To eliminate confusion while we are raising and trading in our pets, maybe the Dev team should rename the items' names to what the Winter epohh researcher calls them, with the specific epohh type coming first in the name and the rare characteristic coming last?

Screenshot reference:
    http://i62.tinypic.com/2mh7ok0.jpg
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • Options
    skymagus00skymagus00 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    captainkc wrote: »

Why does the researcher call the epohh pets as "P'Epohh"?

Simple: the P'Epohh-Mint is a play on 'peppermint', referring to its green colour.:cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    captainkc wrote: »
    A couple of small observations about the Winter Epohh Researcher in Q's Winter Wonderland, and maybe a name change to come from it.

Why does the researcher call the epohh pets as "P'Epohh"? And why does the researcher have a different naming system where she says "P'Epohh-mint pup with bow" (where the bow makes it a rare pet) from the item in my inventory which is called "Epohh pup with bow - P'Epohh-mint"?

As players, I do not call them P'Epohh and I highly doubt anyone else does. It would also seem to me that the team that creates and names these items do not know what the team creating the NPC do, and vice versa. To eliminate confusion while we are raising and trading in our pets, maybe the Dev team should rename the items' names to what the Winter epohh researcher calls them, with the specific epohh type coming first in the name and the rare characteristic coming last?

Screenshot reference:
    http://i62.tinypic.com/2mh7ok0.jpg

fascinating
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    To answer the question kintisho, the tides of ice 10 run account unlock, is on tribble now an will be going live this Thursday, check tribble dec 5th patch notes, hope this helps.

thanks for info, havent used any tribble anything in the last 1.5-2 years, always forget about that resource now lol
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    <snip>I am going to try and make a point, from my opinion, and hopefully convey it constructively. I enjoy the Winter Wonderland event but adding a mandatory grind with, Tides of Ice, has kind of spoiled that event for me. 10 runs for the Breen Warp Core has caused me a bit of a burn out on the event.

I did grind out the 10 (more like 15 thanks to it being bugged) during the first two days to get my warp core and new weapons. Sadly, has caused me to burn out on the new addition.</snip>

Not to worry, in this patch they've made it so once the accolade for the 2 breen cores is done on one toon, both are now fully unlocked across your account for all your other toons. So no more unnecessary grind, just have the ornaments and go and get em!
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
This discussion has been closed.