test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forum Changes Incoming! :)

Comments

• kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited November 2014
    dragnridr wrote: »
    I'm betting that these "changes" will be to put in a bot that auto-deletes posts that disagree with anything that perfect world does or says. It's not enough that they don't listen to players, but they have to make sure the players don't have any influence on the devs in any way shape or form.

This post will be auto - deleted in 10 sec.....

in the future refrain from using the highlighted words

You can post again when your 1800sec timer expires

:P:P:P:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love sweeping changes. nothing ever goes wrong with them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Could this mean the end of Starfleet Dental posts!! :eek:

Crash! Don't mention them by name! You know they appear if you mention their name!

Anyways... would like to hear what's gonna happen to the forums Smirk.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here's an idea for a forum change: Can we stop using this archaic install of vbulletin and migrate to the latest version of vbulletin that has, you know, all of the features of a real forum that the rest of the Internet has had for half a decade? For christ's sake there is no Report Post button for the sudden influx of gold spammers (No I am not going to waste my time and effort to open a support ticket on an external website to your inept outsourced support department to report something as ephemeral as a forum post; that is idiotic).

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Could you guys please just one single time NOT treat us like idiots? "We will change things. Be warned. We won't tell you what it is though." - what about a change to the way the forums are organized would require this secrecy nonsense again? I understand that certain game changes need to be kept secret as developing a game means competition and all, but the forums?

You probably won't implement changes that deserve a warning wthout announcing them first. Then please wait until you can "safely reveal" them, for targ's sake. And if you "can't reveal" them yet, don't say anything. Nobody likes empty statements.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Since no one answered the multiple questions about what these changes are , I'll ask only one thing :

Could you let us know before you implement changes that will erase out "subscribed to" threads list ?

That was wiped by the change over to the PWE forums , and it was pretty upsetting .
  • giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There will be changes.

You have been warned, anything adverse that happens will be your therefore be your fault.

Wouldn't it be funny if cryptic installed grammar TRIBBLE software and programmed the forum software with a prohibited word list. Words like "nerf", "dental", "Geko".......
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Hello Forum Users,

We wanted to alert you to upcoming changes to the forums, sub-forums, sticky threads and many of the older archived posts and bulletin announcements.

In an effort to update and reorganize these features, we will be systematically sweeping through the forums to complete this task.

I wanted to alert you to the incoming updates so they don't begin to alarm anyone as they progress :)

Thanks for you patience everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

You do realise you didn't actually say what the changes are, right? :P

This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 59 seconds.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    while i'd love it if some of the annoyances of this forum were fixed (inability to use quick reply box before clicking the "quick reply to this message" anywhere on the page, quoting posts 4 out of 5 times giving a blank post or two/three other quotes attached, links changing after posting that always focus on your last post on refresh, interfering with reading new posts and such), the change will be probably something much less interesting, or maybe it just means autumn cleaning and most of the old posts will be deleted.

or just posts from specific members.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i reckon this is nothing more than another pass at improving the forums 'corporate sheen'; anonymising old dev posts, deleting rant posts, etc.

oddly enough, i dont care anymore.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    "Dear passengers, we will be experiencing some ionic turbulence. We advice you to fasten your safety belts. Thank you."
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OH GOD OH GOD THEY ARE GOING TO NERF THE FORUMS OMG THIS SUX EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER I QUIT YES YOU CAN HAS MY STUFF OMG!!!

amirite? iamrite. :D
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i reckon this is nothing more than another pass at improving the forums 'corporate sheen'; anonymising old dev posts, deleting rant posts, etc.

oddly enough, i dont care anymore.

^^ This. /10char
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I really hate to be the voice of sanity, but perhaps it is a backend security improvement? There have been a spate of high-profile forum hacks recently, this could be nothing more than a back-end patch and security update.

Nah. Our Asian Overlords are removing any trace of disagreement or dissent from the forums. There is only Satisfaction at PWE. If you are dissatisfied, Charge Your Zen. ;)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ...and the changes are...what?

Stop being cryptic. :P
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    EDIT: and on another note, how the heck do you make text the same color as the background?
    Like this.
    /10char
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well maybe they liked the idea of a 500 dil cost for quick reply. That would explain why he didnt want to tell us what is going on. he never said he was opposed to the idea. just that that it wasn't the case at the moment.
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Nothing to see here.

Smirk just abides Rule of Acquisition 208.
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hello Forum Users,

We wanted to alert you to upcoming changes to the forums, sub-forums, sticky threads and many of the older archived posts and bulletin announcements.

In an effort to update and reorganize these features, we will be systematically sweeping through the forums to complete this task.

I wanted to alert you to the incoming updates so they don't begin to alarm anyone as they progress :)

Thanks for you patience everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

So you tell us there is going to be changes...

...and then don't tell us what the changes are...

Yeah, great job at "managing" the community...
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Let's look at what he said:

".....changes to the forums, sub-forums, sticky threads and many of the older archived posts and bulletin announcements."

".....update and reorganize these features, we will be sweeping through the forms...."

It sounds like they're going to clean out older posts, bulletins, sticky threads and announcements and updating forums and sub-forums. How exactly they're going to update them is the mystery, I suppose ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Forum is op, nerf plz!
    I need a beer.

• zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I welcome any changes to the current state of the forums!

Especially if one of the changes is to make the forums not be used like a Facebook page for some people.

Thank you,

Zeus
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2014
    Where is my elephant? :mad:

If pink, you're drunk and imagining things. In which case, I'll have whatever you're drinking. I'm going to imagine that Club 47 will return someday ... with better dance music.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    If locking the scheduled maintenance thread, then giving no information on why the servers aren't back up when they are supposed to be is part of the 'changes'... I don't like it. :P
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If locking the scheduled maintenance thread, then giving no information on why the servers aren't back up when they are supposed to be is part of the 'changes'... I don't like it. :P

Maintenance is finished but they obviously broke something. :P

Forum wise, I would like to see the identity of the posters restored to their posts as there is till a lot of great information in some of the older posts that had the posters identity removed when the forum was transferred to PWE.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2014
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    I welcome any changes to the current state of the agoras

There. Fixed it for ya.

But if you insist on Latin: I believe the plural of "forum" is "fora" (they only come in quads).
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    I welcome any changes to the current state of the forums!

Especially if one of the changes is to make the forums not be used like a Facebook page for some people.

Thank you,

Zeus

Sorry, what do you mean by the Facebook bit?

I am not even on Facebook so I wouldn't even know where to begin with that...

And Smirk, any ETA so that forum authors know how long they have to complete their backup processes on their stories?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited November 2014

~CaptainSmirk

Yeah, like you don't do that already by ignoring the numerous problems people post in the forums and never get attention until a year later, or involves the Devs losing money in a F2P game!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    Thanks but, any word on what the changes will be, or is this pre-warning only that an outline will be on the way?

could be;
    shutting down all old threads that havent been active with 30 days of their original purpose to avoid necro threads so mods deal with the here an now.
    reorganizing the forum structure so its easier to handle and manage.
    probably stability upgrades and other features.
    better user ability for the standard fan fan include the rest of us keyboard warriors here and new players.
    rearranged graphics user interface, (the grey and black never worked the first time out and still doesnt).

will see what becomes of the forum. just hope there isnt a a zen charge to remove the 300 second barrier when they update the darn thing :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    Sorry, what do you mean by the Facebook bit?

I am not even on Facebook so I wouldn't even know where to begin with that...

IMHO some people in here use the forums like IM aka the facebook ref. Maybe I should have used Instant Messaging instead as the reference...

Only a few but it does take away from the thread when they do.

Zeus

:D