test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forum Changes Incoming! :)

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hello Forum Users,

We wanted to alert you to upcoming changes to the forums, sub-forums, sticky threads and many of the older archived posts and bulletin announcements.

In an effort to update and reorganize these features, we will be systematically sweeping through the forums to complete this task.

I wanted to alert you to the incoming updates so they don't begin to alarm anyone as they progress :)

Thanks for you patience everyone!

~CaptainSmirk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks but, any word on what the changes will be, or is this pre-warning only that an outline will be on the way?
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Can you wipe away the Trolls while you are at it?

I can dream right?
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the warning. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    primar13 wrote: »

I can dream right?

"Attention Earth spacedock, cleaners will be moving through the public areas to clean away all evidence of trolls... to make way for the shiny new & improved trolls currently disembarking Shuttle Colombia at gate two"
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    "We're gonna change things. You've been warned."

... so what's changing, specifically?
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2014
    By systematically sweeping...

what comes to my mind is this:

Number of days on which a thread will out-delete itself after last post: 30 days

Can you explain a little more Smirk... Kinda want to know what specifics are being done :D
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Fixing the Forum mailbox should be one...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    at least 5 player created threads will appear within the next 30 minutes:

1x Why does Smirk have the time to sweep the forum but is not working on the Mac Launcher
    1x I quit because I dont like the forum changes
    2x about how the forum changes influence world freedom and that everything is just part of a bigger plan from PWE's side

and
    2x do we get new Mods, they cut of communication with the players, those changes will SURELY make more people leave STO because everything is stupid.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was hoping this was about completely new Forum software.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Attention everyone: We're gonna do something but we're not telling you what it will be. :P

This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 17 seconds.
    This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 4 seconds.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Anyway Smirk, can you shed some lignt on what these changes will involve? I'm curious to know and I'm sure many others are as well.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So you are going to make changes, but not say what to expect? Can you give us any details?
    This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 17 seconds.
    This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 4 seconds.
    Yeah. That is annoying. Try 30 or so. But 300? What is that? 5 minutes? There is no reason to wait 5 minutes.
    primar13 wrote: »
    As in wiping away the roleplayers? I'll agree with that. :D
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
    edited November 2014
    Where is my elephant? :mad:
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Where is my elephant? :mad:
    No elephants but WOULDN'T YOU LIKE A NICE EPPOH FRIEND.....eye twitch....
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited November 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    No elephants but WOULDN'T YOU LIKE A NICE EPPOH FRIEND.....eye twitch....

to hairy.. and they look like pigs

Smirk, while waiting these 5 minutes penalty, can't we have some nice elevator music in the background? something from Tony Bennet or Gershwin..
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the warning. May we have some more specifics about what changes are being implemented, please? And will any feedback be acted upon?

Also, one thread that was unstickied and should be restickied is Ambassadormolari's Ten Forward Fanfic Page thread. It is a very useful glossary of non-LC fanfics written in Ten Forward.

Thank you again for the warning. I'm going to give you a shout-out in my next fic, hope it gives you a chuckle...
    at least 5 player created threads will appear within the next 30 minutes:

1x Why does Smirk have the time to sweep the forum but is not working on the Mac Launcher
    1x I quit because I dont like the forum changes
    2x about how the forum changes influence world freedom and that everything is just part of a bigger plan from PWE's side

and
    2x do we get new Mods, they cut of communication with the players, those changes will SURELY make more people leave STO because everything is stupid.

I bet that there will be three (3) times that number of threads on those topics in those proportions.

Seriously, Manfred. Know the forums, man. :P
    edited November 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning. May we have some more specifics about what changes are being implemented, please? And will any feedback be acted upon?

Also, one thread that was unstickied and should be restickied is Ambassadormolari's Ten Forward Fanfic Page thread. It is a very useful glossary of non-LC fanfics written in Ten Forward.

Thank you again for the warning. I'm going to give you a shout-out in my next fic, hope it gives you a chuckle...

I bet that there will be three (3) times that number of threads on those topics in those proportions.

yeah baby, and I just figured that I can't count to 5, but its 4 in the morning and I am sleepless in Seattle, or wherever the Aliens will drop me after they ...
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yeah baby, and I just figured that I can't count to 5, but its 4 in the morning and I am sleepless in Seattle, or wherever the Aliens will drop me after they ...
    Whoa stop there, no details please, I just ate.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited November 2014
    Also, while I'm here, does this have to do with the annoying 5-minute post timer at all?

Aliens? AGAIN?????

Let me get my Superior Force. They will rue the day they angered the Grand Vizier! Hail Ba'al!!!!

:D
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Forumpocalypse 2014?

Will it be as much fun as it was in 2012?
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm betting that these "changes" will be to put in a bot that auto-deletes posts that disagree with anything that perfect world does or says. It's not enough that they don't listen to players, but they have to make sure the players don't have any influence on the devs in any way shape or form.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
    edited November 2014
    Also, while I'm here, does this have to do with the annoying 5-minute post timer at all?

Aliens? AGAIN?????

Let me get my Superior Force. They will rue the day they angered the Grand Vizier! Hail Ba'al!!!!

:D

you are always so sweet to me, I really hope Hilly will became your next President so that the whole country will be as sweet as you :o
    edited November 2014
    you are always so sweet to me, I really hope Hilly will became your next President so that the whole country will be as sweet as you :o

Hillary Clinton is not a sweet person.

Intelligent? Yes. Competent? Yes. Tolerant of nonsense? No. Capable of being President? yes.

Sweet? Oh, heck no. She's a powerful woman in an absurdly male-dominated government that still acts like a Good Old Boys' club. She's a driven, hard-core politician.

That's not a bad thing; she'd be a good President, certainly better than that Texan oaf we had before the current one. But do NOT make the mistake of calling her sweet.

Anyway, let's stay on topic; while I find it likely that Smirk enjoys our banter, if we spam this thread he'll have no choice but to come down on us with the Modhammer.

EDIT: and on another note, how the heck do you make text the same color as the background?
    edited November 2014
    dragnridr wrote: »
    I'm betting that these "changes" will be to put in a bot that auto-deletes posts that disagree with anything that perfect world does or says. It's not enough that they don't listen to players, but they have to make sure the players don't have any influence on the devs in any way shape or form.

that's it. you are right. but how can the bot identify a non-agreeing post? we need a direct way to talk to the Devs. good that I have the mail adress of one of them. so we can finally bypass the mods here and send the Devs all our improvement ideas.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Forumpocalypse 2014?

Will it be as much fun as it was in 2012?
    I'm not sure how much worse/better it will be but I suspect we'll find out soon.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2014
    that's it. you are right. but how can the bot identify a non-agreeing post? we need a direct way to talk to the Devs. good that I have the mail adress of one of them. so we can finally bypass the mods here and send the Devs all our improvement ideas.

Oh, I wouldn't recommend that...the Devs's get swamped by every fool complaining that he can no longer ROTFLMAOstomp HSE solo with his DPSmitard.

And I seriously doubt that such a bot will be put into place; there would be a mass player exodus. Much more likely is a reshuffling of the forums' organization.
    edited November 2014
    Oh, I wouldn't recommend that...the Devs's get swamped by every fool complaining that he can no longer ROTFLMAOstomp HSE solo with his DPSmitard.

And I seriously doubt that such a bot will be put into place; there would be a mass player exodus. Much more likely is a reshuffling of the forums' organization.

it was a joke....

I think there will be some additional security mas.. mesarum... ahm thingies implemented.
  • cwnannwncwnannwn Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hello Forum Users,

We wanted to alert you to upcoming changes to the forums, sub-forums, sticky threads and many of the older archived posts and bulletin announcements.

In an effort to update and reorganize these features, we will be systematically sweeping through the forums to complete this task.

I wanted to alert you to the incoming updates so they don't begin to alarm anyone as they progress :)

Thanks for you patience everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

Do these changes include getting rid of the EC farmers now invading the forums? One can only hope for hope's sake. Anyway standing by to see what all comes about with the new changes.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Wait what? Mollari's here? Does G'Kar know about this?
    I guess Vir must be closeby...

Other than that, do the changes include disappearances of useful threads, feedback, bug reports on issues that persist?

What about the 300 sec timer? At first I didn't mind that much personally, because I didn't think it would limit me with my slow typing. I was wrong and I want it gone!
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Smirk, there are some of us with a lot of stories written, that we care very deeply about, and that may not all be backed up. Are we looking at thread deleting? If so, could you please provide us with ample time to complete the backup process? Any idea what time frame we are looking at?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.