Install Arc
Options

DEVs nerfbat hit Tau Dewa

Comments

• Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    ...This very same discussion came up years ago when the Mission Architect was introduced to CoH. What was the first thing people created with it? Boss farming missions for XP power leveling. The system clearly allowed you to create this stuff, so it should be ok to do, right?

Wrong, and they nerfed it into oblivion. This is no different.

This just shows they (cryptic) have a long history of taking the line of "You aren't playing the game the way WE want you to."
  • Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    semalda226 wrote: »
    Wooooo Nerf Bat Baby! Cryptic Loves To Smash Us In The Nacelles With It! (oddly This Causes An Instant Warp Core Breach) Love You Cryptic And Hit Me Again Eh?!

Awesome ;) all your forgot was Thank the you sir, may I have another!

I foresee the area opening back up tomorrow with a cool down added or something equallly as annoying. Who cares if players are using it for fast ship mastery or XP I had no idea doing those two things were prohibited unles we did it their way! Craziness!
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    No, but I'm curious what makes you think STO is in any way a Democracy? This is Cryptic/PWE's game and they can do whatever they want to it, whenever they want and for whatever reason they want. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it either.

you are right but they can leave and take their money with them and if a enough ppl that are not so desperate to fly a star trek ship leave means no money to pay the bills = you dont get to fly your trek ship any more just saying ppl need to stop thinking this game is immune to death by making bad decisions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    englishnod wrote: »
    i can not see how something that they had to program in to existence and program what happens if a higher level comes down to the level of a 50 or lower etc and how much XP they receive would be construed as an exploit.This is no way a side effect of them creating a system for a lower level play to match a higher level player like in most other games, this was programmed to be both ways.
    Therefore in no way is this an exploit but do feel free to explain how YOU think this is an exploit
    Please enlighten us, wise one ...

Very well oh grasshoppers, cometh and sit 'round my fire so that I might bequeath unto thee the knowledge passeth down through the MMO ages:

In this case, assuming it is the XP/dil/R&D mat grinding that the dev have a problem with, it is the fact that players are manipulating a system in the game to produce results well beyond what it was intended to produce. It does not matter that the actual programming is functioning the way it was "intended" to, players are combining these functional features in a way that outputs rewards above what the game is supposed to. This is what makes it an EXPLOIT and not a bug or cheat. Look up Destiny Loot Cave or US tax law for some good examples.

The only problem here is the devs absurd reaction to the whole thing. Shutting the whole place down was a massive overreaction.
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I no longer patrol there, like ever. But nerfing Tau Dewa?! Sorry, Craptic, but this has got to be one of the lamest stunts you ever pulled! And yet, why am I Laughing Out Loud!? Probably because I soooo saw moves like this coming! Hahaha! So incredibly pathetic! Good thing I hastily leveled up, on Elite, fighting endless swarms of NPC's at DS9, before Craptic had a chance to wise up to people doing something as horrible as grinding their XP the way they choose!

Seriously, Cryptic, nerfing every and all ways to get EC, gear, and Dilithium, that was pretty lame already as it was. But I think y'all stooped to a new low, nerfing patrol missions, for the sole reason of having ppl play the new, harder content (read: so they'll buy the new ships out of frustration). Really, could youl sink any lower?! Maybe y'all should ask the Breen to build an Absolute Zero set from your latest decisions.

Agreed with meimei. This is a new low for Cryptic. They've cut rewards and increased the grind so much in the last year the game has now lost it's appeal. It used to be a game where I could do some grinding and get some cool stuff in a reasonable amount of time. Now...it's just out of control grind 40 hours a week as your second job or pay out the nose for overpriced BS.
    Just the fact that the freaking Defera invasion zone has been bugged to hell for years and has been ignored by DEVs among many other massive bugs in game like in Ker'rat but then something that is actually working as intended gets uber-nerfed at the drop of a hat just shows that PWE policy is profit first, players second.
    Unacceptable.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    buddha1369 wrote: »
    In this case, assuming it is the XP/dil/R&D mat grinding that the dev have a problem with

Conclusion : You have actually no idea which one it is (might be something completly different) ... yet you're telling others they don't "get it" ... hilarious ...
    It does not matter that the actual programming is functioning the way it was "intended" to, players are combining these functional features in a way that outputs rewards above what the game is supposed to.

Nope, sorry ... might wanna google "Exploit" yourself ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm not trekking (heh) through the entire thread, but has there actually been any official word as to why the sector was locked down?

All I've seen is a tweet with an apology, and them saying they'll get it back asap?
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It does not matter that the actual programming is functioning the way it was "intended" to.

This is what makes it an EXPLOIT and not a bug or cheat.

Now let's google "exploit:
    https://www.google.com.ua/search?q=exploit
    Or look it up on Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28computer_security%29
    2. a software tool designed to take advantage of a flaw in a computer system, typically for malicious purposes such as installing malware.
    An exploit is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or a sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behavior to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerized). Such behavior frequently includes things like gaining control of a computer system, allowing privilege escalation, or a denial-of-service attack.

So you're wrong on both accounts.
  • Options
    stormcrow704stormcrow704 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    swatop wrote: »
    The sad consequence of Delta Rising is that there is nothing worth to play anymore.

new story content:
    bugged; boring; repetative; annoying; disruptive due to wrong level requirements/false reward calculation

all story missions:
    nerfed; the skill points are not even worth starting such missions

PVE missions:
    bugged; unplayable; nerfed

Patrol missions:
    closed/nerfed

Kerrat:
    for a good amount of people closed

PVP:
    totally imbalanced with the introduction of mk14 epic gear that only the "rich kids" can obtain.

The entire game has turned into a giant mess.
    And the devs call this a successful season.
    Successful in what? Driving players away? Destroying everyones fun? Ruining this game?
    Fellow devs... if that is your definition of "success" then you clearly did your best to achieve it.

Yeah this about sums it up . You were way to kind regarding pvp however. Current devs have and will do nothing about something that for a lot of us is a major part of our gaming. It's laughable.

I've always been able to find something worth doing in STO when I've been playing it. For a long time it was simply running Borg STFs on a few of my toons. The Deferi Daily. The Romulan Daily. An expansion is supposed to ADD stuff, not take it away. Now what am I supposed to do? I guess I'm supposed to run Delta Patrols? There is no PVP going on that's for sure, unless you count what the VPVP guys are doing, which the Devs don't deserve any credit for.

I've made this point in another posts, but I'll make it again. It's the community that makes this game worth while. The Foundry missions, the STF pick up groups, the NoP channel. And for a while there this week I was meeting new people in Tau Dewa and running elites with them. We were BSing about ships and builds and what we thought of the game. We were grinding XP and getting loots and it was fun. WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THIS AWAY? Fun is what is going to make this game profitable - not endless nerfs and a dilithium grind designed to squeeze the player base for every penny.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Players aren't manipulating anything. That presumes that there's a tangible process to TRIBBLE around with, like the old colonist doff trick.

Just creating a team and hopping into a patrol is no exploit. Being in teams with players who are a lower level than you is no exploit. These things have always been available and encouraged.

Tau Dewa isn't some new area, it's been there for 2 years. The devs screwed up with enemy scaling, and it's a problem all over the game, not just in those few patrols.

They didn't bother to do their due diligence, and now players get hosed so Cryptic can pull their pants back up.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Now let's google "exploit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28computer_security%29
    So you're wrong on both accounts.

"Exploit (computer security)"

Did you even bother to look at it before you posted?
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic - Showing just how much a bunch of un-imaginative, money grubbing, plodding game dev's can ruin a game.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    ruffgeniusruffgenius Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wouldn't worry you can do the same thing in delta quad granted it takes a little longer but you get more xp :) happy farming
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "Exploit (computer security)"

Did you even bother to look at it before you posted?

Here you go :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28video_gaming%29
    In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.[1]
    It does not matter that the actual programming is functioning the way it was "intended" to, players are combining these functional features in a way that outputs rewards above what the game is supposed to.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only problem is it closes the sector for those of us not power leveling and doing the sector patrol missions solo!

And for those of us trying to level a new Romulan toon. I can't enter the systems where I'm supposed to meet a contact. What a gret move that was....:mad:
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ruffgenius wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry you can do the same thing in delta quad granted it takes a little longer but you get more xp :) happy farming

"We have temporarily disabled the Delta Quadrant due to people actually leveling ! Please buy more Zen !" :D
  • Options
    edited October 2014

"In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers. Exploits have been classified as a form of cheating; however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them."

Wow, almost exactly what I said isn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.[1] Exploits have been classified as a form of cheating; however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them."

Nope sorry ... exactly the opposite (see above) :
  • Options
    dreaper1985dreaper1985 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So wait yeah I was oneof those people who need my daily patrol as the mission rewards the highest romulan marks at least for not azura nebula rescue is down and new romulas is just not an option I wish to stay awake. The fact they shut it down because some people found a way to burn through the new end game leveling is not something they were expecting yeah right. NOw they should have realized nerfing the dil rewards across the board. At the same time pleasing the top 1% dps people and throwing any one else under the bus sorry probe wit 500k health yeah sorry I will take that leavers penalty bye.

In short when u make people who have no time to play a game have to suffer the severe power creep as other who can devote more time surpass them by tenfold now with SPECIALIZATION tree lmasrotfl.
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    "In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers. Exploits have been classified as a form of cheating; however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them."

Nope, it's the opposite of what you said:
    It does not matter that the actual programming is functioning the way it was "intended" to
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Very well oh grasshoppers, cometh and sit 'round my fire so that I might bequeath unto thee the knowledge passeth down through the MMO ages:

In this case, assuming it is the XP/dil/R&D mat grinding that the dev have a problem with, it is the fact that players are manipulating a system in the game to produce results well beyond what it was intended to produce. It does not matter that the actual programming is functioning the way it was "intended" to, players are combining these functional features in a way that outputs rewards above what the game is supposed to. This is what makes it an EXPLOIT and not a bug or cheat. Look up Destiny Loot Cave or US tax law for some good examples.

The only problem here is the devs absurd reaction to the whole thing. Shutting the whole place down was a massive overreaction.

Yeah still not seeing how this would be an exploit ;) just because a dev got panicked by the fact that people are using the system as intended does not make it an exploit, they want everyone to grind grind grind and that is what everyone is doing, there will be those that will pay to win and those that will not, at the end of the day its still an extra 50 levels and highly achievable else where in probably the same amount of time (Borg queues advanced 30% nerf inbound anyone?)

If this is because of the 2000 odd dli for each level you get after you have completed all trees then it really is not worth the time considering the voth battle zone with its dailies will earn you that 8000 dil refine cap in what? 30 mins?

my only hope here is that this is a genuine exploit that allowed people to gain insta levels or some rubbish like that and not a way to call a fair chunk of your player base exploiters for using the system as intended, if this is the case then they really do need to take a long hard look at themselves and probably higher better devs.
    The more you look at all this the more it looks like a money grab on their part, i can not blame them for wanting to milk their players but to call them cheats and exploiters would not be the way to go.

OF COURSE as i keep saying that IF THIS IS related to the whole gaining XP on a system that they built into place on purpose, otherwise this whole thread would be rather pointless to begin with but in that respect Cryptic should have been a little bit more transparent with their posts instead of letting people come to their own conclusions.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Nope exactly the opposite (see above) :

According to your own source, an exploit uses the "game system," i.e the games working functions, to their advantage in a WAY not intended without "changes or external programs." The game system itself is working just fine, it is the ADVANTAGE it produces that is unintended.

Exactly what I said.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    According to your own source, an exploit uses the "game system," i.e the games working functions, to their advantage in a WAY not intended without "changes or external programs." The game system itself is working just fine, it is the ADVANTAGE it produces that is unintended.

Exactly what I said.

By that Logic ... everything within the Game providing an ADVANTAGE = Exploit ... ? ROFL ... are you serious ... omg ... better tell everyone about those Evil Spec. Points & MK XIV Gear ...

... but wait I was somehow under the impression that it doens't matter if something works as intended (which you heavily implied with that statement) ... which one is it "NOT INTENDED" or "INTENDED"
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Nope, it's the opposite of what you said:

"Working" as in no bugs or glitches. It is performing as it was programmed to.
  • Options
    coraleccoralec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Delta Rising has been very successful at turning my fleet's teamspeak into a ghost town.
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    coralec wrote: »
    Delta Rising has been very successful at turning my fleet's teamspeak into a ghost town.

its also been a success at turning people against each by all accounts lol