Install Arc
Options

The time gate or pay dilithium design philosophy needs to go away

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    finally a comment I can agree on... the fan base would hate it.

dps elitist would whine cause it's not MOAR DPS. "casuals" would hate it because it cost dil and you know thats always evil. pvpers would hate it because it's not pvp.

real casuals would probably be ok, but their ok with everything. rpers would love it. but who cares about them.

I usually get around to the good ideas, just takes me a little while to get warmed up sometimes. :cool:

Dare I say, a vanity item a PVPer would love.. marks on the hull for recorded players kills. Basically anything that shows off kills, again something the screen shot frame would work for. A wall decoration in the ready room with numeric tallies below faction symbols.

Remember when it comes to selling items/services to PVPer's stroking that ego is sometimes nearly as effective as adding DPS. Especially things easily seen by others who know what they mean.

I guess being a gamer for so long and have mellowed to something of a "casual" who years ago used to be a "PVPer," (in other games) but who is still just enough "hardcore" in play style to like both vanity items And extra DPS gear I can appreciate more options than some would.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    That's just your opinion. And I disagree. I'd rather not pay 7,000 dil per zen.
    ???? I would rather not as well. That is the whole point.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Funny, you spelled "positive" wrong.

The timegates mean that the benefits from investing more time per day into the game is capped.
    That in turn means that anyone who has better things to do than invest hours upon hours into the game on a daily basis will still make the same progress, or at least won't fall behind by ridiculous amounts.

It's the same design philosophy used to balance Large and Small (~30 active players) Fleet Holdings. The Large Fleet can only make so much progress on their Fleet Holdings before suffering from massive diminishing returns on their investment, which essentially means the Small Fleet won't fall behind if they get their projects done on time. (Again though, this is by Cryptic's definition of Small Fleet, not Tiny 6-man Fleets.)

It's the same design philosophy used by the current reputation systems, where you can easily get your daily box of marks, which is sufficient for the major 20 hr project. Grinding the 1 hr projects only get you ahead a bit, but they even considered that disparity too much, and capped it at 3.

This design philosophy is designed to not let casual gamers, the majority of any game, fall behind so much that they feel they've been left behind with no way to catch up. As an adult employed full-time with various real-life responsibilities, I think it's great. It's like having a maximum quota, after I hit it there's no pressure to do more.

So you support implementation of mechanisms which actively promotes players spending less time in game. Well why not just charge by the hour and be done with it? No wait people with money will surely have an extensive advantage - never mind.... :rolleyes:
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    It sounds like MMORPGs aren't for you.
    The current philosophical orientation is clearly not but like everything it will eventually change.
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    -snip-.
    Miss the post where I said"I know" . Oh I got ask why my post ? When it was made like on page 3 and this is on page 9 .<_<
    >_>

P.S Just because we haven't seen a company that doesn't mind about profit doesn't mean there not one or won't be one.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    No one here is imposing those views - we're simply stating them in response, because we believe them.
    OK. Well I believe differently and I dont go and spam other threads supporting said ideals telling the person or people in that camp to shut up and go away. Amazing thing..... :eek:
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    face it, they need to make money. thsy chose this method. would you prefer

"we have permission to warp to Alpha Centauri sector" and then the UNLOCK THIS SECTOR FOR 500 ZEN
    pops up.

how about you need the apprentice warp drive trait to exceed warp 2. once you have proficienciy at apprentice you can unlock journeyman warp for 500 zen it allows up to warp SIX!! master level unlocks warp 8!!! (for another 1000 zen)
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Something tells me if you're finding yourself spending hundreds on the game a month, you might have better mileage with an LTS and the realization that you do not need any of the TRIBBLE you're buying.

I mean, holy ****. There's a line between spending money and being irresponsible with it. If you don't like the game's system maybe you should close the wallet.
  • Options
    siruksiruk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    face it, they need to make money. thsy chose this method. would you prefer

"we have permission to warp to Alpha Centauri sector" and then the UNLOCK THIS SECTOR FOR 500 ZEN
    pops up.

how about you need the apprentice warp drive trait to exceed warp 2. once you have proficienciy at apprentice you can unlock journeyman warp for 500 zen it allows up to warp SIX!! master level unlocks warp 8!!! (for another 1000 zen)

I understand they need to make money but I am a gold subscriber and still have to pay real money to do things. I would rather F2P go away and pay a flat fee for expansions like MMOs used to be. Rather then be nickel and dimed to death for every little thing on top of my monthly fee.
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    siruk wrote: »
    I understand they need to make money but I am a gold subscriber and still have to pay real money to do things. I would rather F2P go away and pay a flat fee for expansions like MMOs used to be. Rather then be nickel and dimed to death for every little thing on top of my monthly fee.

I'm having difficulty grasping what the hell you're doing in this game where you are being MADE to sink real money into it, because I've been playing the game for quite a while, and I never ran across a situation where I couldn't attain a thing unless I opened up my wallet.

For a guy that says "the game isn't forcing me to do things", you sure say things to the contrary. Does a Cryptic rep have a gun to your head and saying "you top up your zen RIGHT NOW"?

If you ask me, you're an addict and you need some help and/or time away from this game. Or at least look at that new shiny ship on the zen store and utter the phrase "I don't need it".

It's not the Free-to-Play model's fault you lack any discipline with your money. I get that you're a whale, but even whales stop eating the krill after a while.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    the way the time gating works in STO is pretty perfect for me...i logg in once a day, logg through my 7 chars. Do doff assignments, start R'n'D assignments on each char, slot 1 or 2 rep "hourly" and maybe do an infected or CCE run. I hardly reach 8k dilithium cap each day, more like 6k. Takes 1-2 hours (depending if i'm in a hurry or not). all my chars are decked out with everything, i have more dilithium and ZEN than i ever want to spend and when i feel like playing a little more i can do that without ever missing out on anything.

So all in all, couldn't think of a better way that would suit my gaming habbits.

ofcourse, for others it may not be ideal, but i guess that's what teh Zen store is for.

FYI: WoW has a horrible gating system, weekly raid lockouts...daily heroic dungeon lockouts...and you have to pay monthly. So all in all...for 15 dollars you are allowed to go into a specific raid 4 times.

finally someone who knows how to enjoy the game the way it should be enjoyed.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    siruksiruk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm having difficulty grasping what the hell you're doing in this game where you are being MADE to sink real money into it, because I've been playing the game for quite a while, and I never ran across a situation where I couldn't attain a thing unless I opened up my wallet.

For a guy that says "the game isn't forcing me to do things", you sure say things to the contrary. Does a Cryptic rep have a gun to your head and saying "you top up your zen RIGHT NOW"?

If you ask me, you're an addict and you need some help and/or time away from this game. Or at least look at that new shiny ship on the zen store and utter the phrase "I don't need it".

It's not the Free-to-Play model's fault you lack any discipline with your money. I get that you're a whale, but even whales stop eating the krill after a while.

You need to read. I am a subscriber I don't play for free and still have the same gating as F2P players. That is my issue.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    siruk wrote: »
    You need to read. I am a subscriber I don't play for free and still have the same gating as F2P players. That is my issue.
    so stop subscribing. you're paying 15 bucks to get 5 bucks worth of zen. just stop subscribing and spend the 15 bucks a month on whatever stuff in the game you want.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Something tells me if you're finding yourself spending hundreds on the game a month, you might have better mileage with an LTS and the realization that you do not need any of the TRIBBLE you're buying.

I mean, holy ****. There's a line between spending money and being irresponsible with it. If you don't like the game's system maybe you should close the wallet.

I do have a LtS and I purchased practically everything for sale in the game plus copious "services" and feed the box monster to boot! I go well above and beyond in terms of supporting the company and the community and well recently my time in game has been all about waiting for CD to cook off and I'm not really an alt player.
  • Options
    lmaoboatslmaoboats Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If it's any consolation, with the way things are going, by the time you get through the time gates, continental drift will have made China close enough that you can just walk over to PWE and complain in person.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    I do have a LtS and I purchased practically everything for sale in the game plus copious "services" and feed the box monster to boot! I go well above and beyond in terms of supporting the company and the community and well recently my time in game has been all about waiting for CD to cook off and I'm not really an alt player.

Same here.

At the very least subs and LTS should have the crafting timegates removed or reduced greatly.

Getting your items LOCKED while they craft is terrible.

I've spend well over 400$ on this game, and I'm feeling really nickled and dimed now. It's true I can wait timers out. But who ever said waiting is fun.

I like to play, not wait hours for timers to run out.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lmaoboats wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, with the way things are going, by the time you get through the time gates, continental drift will have made China close enough that you can just walk over to PWE and complain in person.
    Funny that.... I live in China now. I left Tokyo last year taking a professorship here in Northeastern China.

Trust me when I get to Shanghai PWE is a planned stop.:D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    Same here.

At the very least subs and LTS should have the crafting timegates removed or reduced greatly.

Getting your items LOCKED while they craft is terrible.

I've spend well over 400$ on this game, and I'm feeling really nickled and dimed now. It's true I can wait timers out. But who ever said waiting is fun.

I like to play, not wait hours for timers to run out.

Exactly... It is why I want a "Q" button to purchase which removes all the gates and other such fun F2P elements from my game play experience. The button should stay functional for 30 day for maybe every $50 I spend in the game or give me an annual fee for say $500 to have unfettered access to everything. The current design parading is so vexing if it was not for my friends in game I would not even play frankly speaking. I cant imagine Cryptic set out to instill such a mindset in real paying customers which spend high levels of money continuously and not $1- $5 a month.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    finally someone who knows how to enjoy the game the way it should be enjoyed.

i take it that the response was sarcasm. My point was that you only need to play STO consistantly but not extensively and you still won't miss out on anything.

The game is designed to be played on a daily bases rather than once a week for 10 hours straight. It simply doesn't reward that kind of habbit.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Skipping queues?

Yeah as a non-sub I always thought it was the most messed up part of the payment model.

Why are paying people grinding exactly the same timegates as people playing for free.
    That to me screws over the subs and totally kills the incentive to buy a sub for me.

But as with everything else it's down to what "they can get away with".

I just have to go back to their statemnts about "dil as a time currency", in where you can skip time, by buying other people's time with cash.

That whole concept was torn down with the first timegate wall they put up, in my opinion.

So the only "truth" or law here is that "anything goes, that you will allow them to get away"
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Skipping queues?

Yeah as a non-sub I always thought it was the most messed up part of the payment model.

Why are paying people grinding exactly the same timegates as people playing for free.
    That to me screws over the subs and totally kills the incentive to buy a sub for me.

But as with everything else it's down to what "they can get away with".

I just have to go back to their statemnts about "dil as a time currency", in where you can skip time, by buying other people's time with cash.

That whole concept was torn down with the first timegate wall they put up, in my opinion.

So the only "truth" or law here is that "anything goes, that you will allow them to get away"

Yup. And as long as people are vocally ok with it, they will keep introducing more and longer timegates. There will come a point where the game becomes nearly unplayable because you need to wait for everything (or pay dilithium).

---

Imagine if they introduce an entire new story arc. But you can only do 1 story mission every 20hours unless you pay 16k dilithium to finish the timegate until the next mission.

PVE matches? Imagine if they increase the cooldown of PVE STF's to 4 hours, and you get to reduce that to 1h by paying dil?

PVP matches? 1 match per 4 hours or pay Dil.

What about equipping items? 2h timer to remove an item from your ship/character, or pay dil.

----

They will try this eventually. They already are. Slowly. So slowly people don't notice. It's the sotry of the boiling frog. Put a frog in boiling water and he'll squeem and jump. Put a frog in cold water and slowly bring it to a boil, and the frog wont notice and boil to death. (look up this saying if you don't understand).

It is, at best, a worrying trend.

sig

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yup. And as long as people are vocally ok with it, they will keep introducing more and longer timegates. There will come a point where the game becomes nearly unplayable because you need to wait for everything (or pay dilithium).

---

Imagine if they introduce an entire new story arc. But you can only do 1 story mission every 20hours unless you pay 16k dilithium to finish the timegate until the next mission.

PVE matches? Imagine if they increase the cooldown of PVE STF's to 4 hours, and you get to reduce that to 1h by paying dil?

What about equipping items? 2h timer to remove an item from your ship/character, or pay dil.

----

They will try this eventually. They already are. Slowly. So slowly people don't notice. It's the sotry of the boiling frog. Put a frog in boiling water and he'll squeem and jump. Put a frog in cold water and slowly bring it to a boil, and the frog wont notice and boil to death. (look up this saying if you don't understand).

and this is when peopple start questioning what drugs your oon...

I would love to here your reasoning on why I shouldn't be laughing at you openly.

p.s. cryptic I'm telling you crazy homeless guy robes would sell.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014

---

----

Please enlighten me as to which Episodes/PvE Queues/PvP Queues/Gear Equipping are locked out unless you pay DIL?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I would love to here your reasoning on why I shouldn't be laughing at you openly.

When I am unable to support or make a counter argument, I resort to name calling and defaming he other party in hopes to bully him into giving up his argument.

-Nightken

--

thegcbacon I never said they are now locked out. I'm saying it's a slippery slope to a future where that may happen.

sig

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014

When I am unable to support or make a counter argument, I resort to name calling and defaming he other party in hopes to bully him into giving up his argument.

-Nightken

cute... and I was taking about me. I would love a set of crazy homeless guy robes.

a piece of advice, or free too, if you don't want to be called a paranoia nutjob don't sound like one.

oh and heres the counter argument. cryptic has never doo anwthing like that in sto. and the last crafting system took time to. and you had no choice but to wait.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

oh and heres the counter argument. cryptic has never doo anwthing like that in sto. and the last crafting system took time to. and you had no choice but to wait.

Just because a company hasn't dome something in the past does not automatically mean they won't do it in the future. A company wants to make money, as much as it can for as little effort as it can regardless of integrity. This whether it being cyptic or the publisher PWE pressuring Cryptic into it. My examples are and never were set in stone as to what will happen. They were examples. Frightning extreme examples, yes, but examples none the less.

They will however introduce more timegates. Timegates make them more money trough zen sales. New timegates may get overall longer, but that's hard to say right now. They will try to increase profits trough various means such as these until the playerbase breaks. Then they will alter the strategy.

My overarching point being: The current implementation of timegates trough crafting is a next step. They are seeing whether we put up with it. I do not like it, therefor I protest against it.
    If we, as a playerbase, accept these timegates. Then they will eventually try more. And we, as a playerbase, will be the poorer for it. Overuse of time is a not a fun mechanic.

sig

• Options
    edited September 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    i take it that the response was sarcasm. My point was that you only need to play STO consistantly but not extensively and you still won't miss out on anything.

The game is designed to be played on a daily bases rather than once a week for 10 hours straight. It simply doesn't reward that kind of habbit.
    No doubt. It used to and that is what I wanted a ST universe to spend free time in at my leisure 24 hours a day if I'm so inclined.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

You are the one that who should be questioned. :rolleyes:

He is completely correct in his assertions. It it entirely why I made this thread as I see it as clearly as he does. It is all about conditioning and lemming effect.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you take crafting as an example.

It had zero new items and zero new animations, it was essentially just copy-paste text into a window with dil sink button.

Yet, somehow magically, they manage to not finish it on time and failed to include what in their words is an essential part of any crafting system, being able to break down components.

Well, it's also not "normal" or typical that have to pay for everything you craft in games.
    Typically, the entire idea behind crafting is for those people who like to put in time or work chasing those components can then EARN off of it.

Crafting in sto is a dil vendor lottery and has nothing to do with crafting even remotely.

Now, compare that to the reputation system, which is essentially a direct clone.
    You put in your marks from the box and start a timegate as far as "gameplay".

Only reputation had passive stats, active animations and abilities for you FOR FREE - all the while you were earning dil for your time

(the old dil as a time currency)

The slipperly slope can be observed in the comparison right there just as with the LoR vs Dil Rising comparison.

Essentially they are putting in zero work - crafting, doff UI, upgrading and t5u are all copy paste work.

Yet arrogantly enough they have the audacity to ask for 300,000 dil for some weapon animation that's 4-5 years, they probably didn't even make themselves? What, really?

Or in short, it's not less for more, it's recycled content or nothing for more

And that's the slipper slope, we are not talking about one specific window, item, stat or decision.

We are talking about an overall pattern in which cryptic takes the most useless console on your ship, do a 14 second edit in notepad moving some text around, and then asks you for quarter of a million dil for it...

That's going to expand, become worse and spread to potentially ANY or ALL windows, systems and features.

The poster was just trying to paint you a picture by bringing up an example saying the more timegates and the more dil you pay for recycled content, they are only going to step it up until you break your neck.
  • Options
    shade802shade802 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have been playing Star trek Online on and off since Beta. Surprisingly after several years everything is still doom and gloom on the forums.

And just to incite people more, I will be honest. I like the time lapse in crafting, don't care to have to use Dilithium for it though. The really nice part about the time lapse Is I can queue the list either as I start playing or its the last thing I do when i get ready to leave. I would also like to point out very few "crafting" mini-games do not involve some time delay.