What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The time gate or pay dilithium design philosophy needs to go away

123457»

Comments

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    Your argument is incredibly simplistic and frankly insulting. Needless timegates defined by "pay now and it is removed" is what my argument is about not time based progress... :rolleyes:

Furthermore I love the ST universe, I'm also a serious gamer and MMO player.

theres a simple answer there for cryptic, remove the pay option and make everybody wait for the timer.
    you might have a lot of players who prefer to pay on your case though.

of course you could be sensible and just ignore the pay option like everyone else who doesn't want to pay.

there have been time gates in the game since I started playing 3 years ago, do a doff mission time gate for results, do rep time gate for reward & even pve & some missions have a cool down time gate.
    people moaned so they bought out this pay option, I am happy to wait for the timer but if another player wants to throw in some dil either bought or earned who am I to argue.
    if you want to suffer from time gate or pay frustration try playing that other space mmo with star in the title, you play 3 space missions then time gate for one week unless you are willing to pay with cold hard cash.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    @ imruined:

I can kind of agree to your point about arrogance.

Since it's all so obvious and simple there is an implication there for people who don't get it, doubly so after it's spelled out.

You can't run from reality and so even when we stay within the censorship from the mods of what opinion you are allowed to say, and it's not said, then yes reality still slips through.

And you bring up an interesting point that, people withl low self-esteem are more than likely to take offense rather than even notice the points or conversation.

But I am not getting paid to be anyone's therapist here. If debating with me is so terrible to the point people can't handle it, then that's their problem.

When I point their problems out to them it might be harsh but it's honest and if they get passed themselves it's actually helpful.

And that's the trade-off, if I am going to school you and carry you, without getting paid or even getting any credit for it, then it's going to be on my terms.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    OK. I just wanted to clarify your actually position.

I support game mechanics that accounts for my daily schedule.

With work, exercise, and socializing, I have better things to do than dedicate large chunks of time to a game. Someone said they hit 8k in 2 hours - well I can afford 2 hours. (Yeah, I don't consider 2 hours a "large chunk of time".)

I support game mechanics that limit how much I can possibly fall behind compared to a NEET.

Neverwinter has a cap of 24k. Most people do not reach that cap from doing things that progress your character, and end up being behind by at least 10k every day compared to people who keep doing the repetitive dailies. The former are no longer able to buy anything worth a damn on the Exchange.

Wasteland 2 is out, and there are plenty of games like Torment: Tides of Numenera or Jagged Alliance Flashback on the way. I'm not about to sink in tons of my precious and limited gaming time into grinding the same content just to stay afloat.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    OK. I just wanted to clarify your actually position. So in effect you support group think conditioning for the player base via mechanical trickery designed to stymy player action and opportunity for supposedly long term revenue stream enhancement constructs.

Silly me... I just like to play and shockingly I like to spend money when I'm having fun in a game. I dont need conditioning to compel me to think a certain way based on what some one determines are normative social activities and pattern programming.

Anyway, I get that devs following such idiotic thinking because most people are simpletons statistically but they really should create some mechanism for the other folks..... Just sayin'....

Look at it this way - at least you're not a part of the flock. That's one hell of a consolation prize if you ask me. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Silly me... I just like to play and shockingly I like to spend money when I'm having fun in a game. I dont need conditioning to compel me to think a certain way based on what some one determines are normative social activities and pattern programming.

Anyway, I get that devs following such idiotic thinking because most people are simpletons statistically but they really should create some mechanism for the other folks..... Just sayin'....

isn't this system then exactly cut out for you, when you can bypass most of the timegating by pumping money into it?
    Do want to force everybody to spend money or what? Because that business model was obviously not sustainable for STO.

The devs btw do not follow what you consider "idiotic thinking", they follow statistical data that they collect while you are not looking.
    And people are not just simpletons just because they see things differently or have different gaming habbits.
    Go pro or go home
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    the last crafting system took time to. and you had no choice but to wait.

I thought it did but wasn't sure, thanks for confirming my poor memory.
    and didn't you have to spend dilithium on commodities for crafting high end items?.

• venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Listen, when developers pull off a nice little scam, such as making you rebuy your old ship and your old gear in expansion 2, the people eating it up raw might seemingly make the developers feel good through worship, but since you can only trick people below your level that doesn't actually count for anything.
    I thought about that logical earlier. After I upgraded a Borg antiproton weapon, I noticed its MK XIII counterpart was practically nerfed. It was weird. Something in the back of my mind said, 'what if everything is getting nerfed, so that the MK XIV items will contain the MK XII stats.'

It was just a random thought.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's not that far off.

Not everything is getting scaled in the right direction. But there's a good bit of the system that's straight up broken, so it's hard to be sure what's intentional or not. Even if it were well planned on paper, it's implementation leaves much to be desired.

Then you get to the whole 'pay dili or wait' aspects, for which this topic exists; but of course, WAI in contrast to the above.
    edited September 2014
    perhaps its art imitating life, look at the national health service (uk) you pay in every month, then when you need health care you need to wait to see a doctor, wait for tests, wait for treatment, if you are luck you will be well in a year.
    willing to pay extra see you now, express test results, instant treatment, you will be well by the end of the week.

its not just in games we have the time gate or pay philosophy.

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    I thought about that logical earlier. After I upgraded a Borg antiproton weapon, I noticed its MK XIII counterpart was practically nerfed. It was weird.

That's likely a bug, and should be reported. The Nukara console dropped in stats going from level-less to Mk XII, while all others went up in stats. The upgrade to TR-116B from Mk XII to MKXIII increased in stats.
    edited September 2014
    What stops me you ask? No one speaks in pve content for one, I do, of course, socialize with my fleet, but the overall attitude of the gaming community in the days since I am speaking of is simply toxic, obviously inflammatory responses like yours are a good sign of this.

And this doesn't bother you in the slightest? Instead of putting out a product that is better quality to draw the money from a happier player base, they are going to use the lowest common denominator shortcuts to draw money from a playerbase that grows more and more disaffected day by day? I don't understand why the simple point can't be gotten across to people like you that you don't have to put the screws to a playerbase to get money out of them..

you must be real top player, I have a job pressing all the fire keys and activating stuff in pve content to find time to chat.

edited September 2014
    Also it was pretty obvious by the fact they had enough petty cash lying around to hire half the cast of Voyager as voice actors before this "upgrade" system was put into place the game was in no danger of going into the red.

that's not necessarily true, a parent company will often "loan" their child company money for upgrades, if the upgrade pays off the child company has to pay the parent company back, if it doesn't pay off the parent company will often just shrug its shoulders and close down the child company.

edited September 2014
    billdun wrote: »
    My guess would be to make obtaining dilithium in-game as painful as possible, to "encourage" players to buy their dilithium with Zen.

who would they buy their dil off when even the current grinders would be effected by the same painful dil grind, the last thing they are going to do is sell it for zen.