test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The time gate or pay dilithium design philosophy needs to go away

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Yeah that and to artificially prolong the game because they can't create new content even a fraction fast enough.

Ultimately we are still replaying the same 3-year-old eSTF maps over and over and for all intents and purposes will continue to after Dil Rising.

You had me at 'Dil Rising.' :) Good one! I LOL-ed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah that and to artificially prolong the game because they can't create new content even a fraction fast enough.
    Can you do better?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I'm sure you can do better than them. Then watch in horror as your months to a year's of work gets completed in matter of days. And the players want more.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That guy just complains to complain. None of his points make any sense. He hates cryptic so much yet still gives them money then complains about giving them money because he hates them so much. Seriously wtf.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    off topic/on

@orangeitis

I took a look at your website Serendipity, and you should modify your French Female Name Generator.Some first names are strange, and in france we don't use now (new generations) compounds names. some first names are not used anymore. But you have already did a good job

off topic/off :P

the creation of contents, i mean 3d models/textures are not very difficult; but the programming is really a pain in the TRIBBLE, this is why Cryptic can't add a lot of big changes quickly.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "can you do better?"

If there was a typology or hierarchies of weak apologist arguments that'd be right at the top.

Probably right below boris parroting around grammar and word splitting to de-rail

But for fun, I will go ahead and reply to that anyway.

Can I do better?

I will answer yours with another question, who couldn't do better?
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    It is as the title says. The daily cap is stupidly small and the heinous levels of dilithium needed to advance in the game, without be compelled to play alts, since one seems to be waiting for things far too much anymore is world class crappy design philosophy. In short, it incredibly vexing and outright infuriating. Hell I spend about $100 a month on this game and this month alone several hundred and I'm ready to walk away because it is becoming a job and countless hours to progress.... Just STOP it.

Sadly there is nothing else out there I'm really interested in playing so I endure but I swear if the asinine design philosophy does not change soon I'll jump ship at the first opportunity and not look back which is sad given how much I love(ed) STO and Star Trek in general. Ive been here since day one when Perpetual announced the project and supporting STO as much as I could over the years since then.

I loath with such deep passion F2P from day one and will always hate it because of this exact TRIBBLE. CRYPTIC - give me the option to pay $100 or even $200 a month to get rid of ALL the TRIBBLE time and currency gates being built into the game to milk people like cows as so much time is wasted as it is insanely inefficient.....
    It sounds like MMORPGs aren't for you.
    edited September 2014
    "can you do better?"

I will answer yours with another question, who couldn't do better?

You and literally every other F2P
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the way the time gating works in STO is pretty perfect for me...i logg in once a day, logg through my 7 chars. Do doff assignments, start R'n'D assignments on each char, slot 1 or 2 rep "hourly" and maybe do an infected or CCE run. I hardly reach 8k dilithium cap each day, more like 6k. Takes 1-2 hours (depending if i'm in a hurry or not). all my chars are decked out with everything, i have more dilithium and ZEN than i ever want to spend and when i feel like playing a little more i can do that without ever missing out on anything.

So all in all, couldn't think of a better way that would suit my gaming habbits.

ofcourse, for others it may not be ideal, but i guess that's what teh Zen store is for.

FYI: WoW has a horrible gating system, weekly raid lockouts...daily heroic dungeon lockouts...and you have to pay monthly. So all in all...for 15 dollars you are allowed to go into a specific raid 4 times.
    Go pro or go home
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "Could you do better?"

"Does my grandmother bake cookies?"

What the game is, the quality of the game, in itself is un-related"

The game does not become better or worse whether my grandmother bakes cookies or not.

I don't know maybe we can call some guy to come give you developer apologist a powerpoint presentation in debating and bringing up points, so you won't have to stick to the same 2-3 stereotypical parrot comments from the buttom of the pile
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would learn to deal with it. As should every person who makes a thread about dil refinement increases (this thread now being the third in a week). STO is horrendously time gated. Its there way of dragging things out and trying to force you into taking shortcuts created by paying real money.

And this is something I'm 100% sure you'll be seeing more and more of. They'll be hiding good things behind more and more timegates that can be bypassed and sped up with dil. Which needs Zen. Which needs your money.
    edited September 2014
    "Could you do better?"

"Does my grandmother bake cookies?"

What the game is, the quality of the game, in itself is un-related"

The game does not become better or worse whether my grandmother bakes cookies or not.

I don't know maybe we can call some guy to come give you developer apologist a powerpoint presentation in debating and bringing up points, so you won't have to stick to the same 2-3 stereotypical parrot comments from the buttom of the pile

Irony at its finest.....this guy:D
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    If they gave you everything you wanted in two tenths of a second, then in about five mintues you will be complaing you're bored...

Ugh, all this waiting... what-to-do what-to-do... I'm bored!
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

Most MMORPG's ive played do not timegate all their content the way STO does. :rolleyes:

And quite frankly, STO didn't used to either. Before Omega Rep came along, STF's used the classic rare drop system, and it was just perfect. No artificial timegate, just time spent playing the content and the luck factor. But now you have to grind away before you can even begin working at getting the set pieces, and they arent a reward either, but something you are required to purchase with multiple currencies.

And crafting is definitely something that should not be time gated or pay gated. It should simply be a matter of combining the needed resources and then thats it. The bulk of time spent should be gathering the resources, not waiting around for projects to finish or pay for instant completion.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    The only way to have thing change is for Cryptic to be bought out from PWE by a gaming company that cares more about us the players then the money .

Which will never happen because businesses are all about money. That's why it's called a business.

People need to understand that gaming companies are NOT your friend. They do not know you personally nor do they even give a TRIBBLE to. They just want your money and will provide you with a good or service in order to obtain said money.

There will never be a gaming company that puts the gamer first because that sort of design philosophy is not profitable. It's even made worse when gamers themselves are so cheap.

Example: Some indie game developer made this simplistic point and click game. It was okay and sort of fun to play. He crowd sourced the funds to make the game and got investors to put up the rest and promised that upon release, players could buy the game for whatever price they wanted. He was giving away a game for as low as 25 cents. You know what happened to that game developer?

He filed for bankruptcy. Turns out, 52% of the games downloads were pirated from third parties and he never got the returns back. Investors lost money, he lost money and the development company went under. Because, shockingly, it turns out good will is not a form of viable currency.

Gaming is an expensive lifestyle, not just for the players, but also for the companies. In order to pay the bills, you gotta keep your focus on the figures. That's why most triple A titles cost up to 60 bucks a pop. It's why DLC is constantly being added to every game. It's why there will never be a game company who will ever care about the gamer. The closest you will ever get to a loving game developer is Valve, and they still charge you for hats at every turn.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well make it 10-30K in dilithium instead of 8K daily since you have to shell out 10K Tech Updates per 13 steps to upgrade and spend more dilithum which has to be refined just to upgrade. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Well make it 10-30K in dilithium instead of 8K daily since you have to shell out 10K Tech Updates per 13 steps to upgrade and spend more dilithum which has to be refined just to upgrade. ;)

good idea, instead of 10$ getting 1000 zen, 10$ will get us 400. seems like a good plan.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think about.. 12k a day would be a functional compromise, It shouldn't throw too many things out of whack..

When monetizing/time gating aspects of a game you HAVE to keep it balanced! Making people wait to even use their characters is step too far over the edge, there is only so much money that can be bled from the playerbase! You can't tap a turnip and draw blood.
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    I think about.. 12k a day would be a functional compromise, It shouldn't throw too many things out of whack..

As much as I'd like to see that, it will not happen. Even if all in these forums rave for it, it may not happen.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014

When monetizing/time gating aspects of a game you HAVE to keep it balanced! Making people wait to even use their characters is step too far over the edge, there is only so much money that can be bled from the playerbase! You can't tap a turnip and draw blood.

a 50% increase wouldn't throw things too far out of wack... I'm not sure that right.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    a 50% increase wouldn't throw things too far out of wack... I'm not sure that right.

And what exactly has been the % increase on the demand on that daily limit since it's institution? both current and projected when DR actually drops? You seem to be looking at only one side of the equation.

I'll be the first to admit since I left in S6 Dil Ore seems to be easier to come by in many ways. But as for the refining gate.. Ask the Russians around the Aral Sea what happens when you over tax a river..
    edited September 2014
    And what exactly has been the % increase on the demand on that daily limit since it's institution? both current and projected when DR actually drops? You seem to be looking at only one side of the equation.

I'll be the first to admit since I left in S6 Dil Ore seems to be easier to come by in many ways. But as for the refining gate.. Ask the Russians around the Aral Sea what happens when you over tax a river..

not much. most of my dil goes to zen. and people had their dil at both the raw and refined cap. two months ago their was a thread asking for a new dil sink. it seem I'm not the only one not looking at the whole picture.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited September 2014
    not much. most of my dil goes to zen. and people had their dil at both the raw and refined cap. two months ago their was a thread asking for a new dil sink. it seem I'm not the only one not looking at the whole picture.

You want a Dil/Zen sink? Where are the vanity items? Where is the furniture for our various forms of personal player housing? inside our ships for example? A personal office in the fleet base we can decorate with all kinds of nice 100-200 zen decorations..

There is GOBS of options for this we could have. New pictures for walls (heck could even sell a frame for our own screen shots! (pending approval I would suppose) Plants and other seasonal decorations.. Spock o' Lanterns for Halloween would probably sell, I would buy one! I have played games where we can put in extra bank type storage boxes for our quarters (would be a nice out of the way place to put things we don't want, but just can't destroy, functional uniform stands, extra trophy slots for ready room, quarters and mess halls.

The only vanity options for a game this old shouldn't be 200,000 dil base projects! There could be an option for giving your ship the appearance of any space set you desire permanently if you pay a little zen/dil and sacrifice the set.

There are more options out there in the gaming world that exist right now, as we speak, than just another forced gear grind.. Adding in something a little lighthearted and fun would not kill the game.
    edited September 2014
    You want a Dil/Zen sink? Where are the vanity items? Where is the furniture for our various forms of personal player housing? inside our ships for example? A personal office in the fleet base we can decorate with all kinds of nice 100-200 zen decorations..

There is GOBS of options for this we could have. New pictures for walls (heck could even sell a frame for our own screen shots! Plants and other seasonal decorations.. Spock o' Lanterns for Halloween would probably sell, I would buy one! I have played games where we can put in extra bank type storage boxes for our quarters (would be a nice out of the way place to put things we don't want, but just can't destroy, functional uniform stands, extra trophy slots for ready room, quarters and mess halls.

The only vanity options for a game this old shouldn't be 200,000 dil base projects! There could be an option for giving your ship the appearance of any space set you desire permanently if you pay a little zen/dil and sacrifice the set.

There are more options out there in the gaming world that exist right now, as we speak, than just another forced gear grind.. Adding in something a little lighthearted and fun would not kill the game.

finally a comment I can agree on... the fan base would hate it.

dps elitist would whine cause it's not MOAR DPS. "casuals" would hate it because it cost dil and you know thats always evil. pvpers would hate it because it's not pvp.

real casuals would probably be ok, but their ok with everything. rpers would love it. but who cares about them.

edited September 2014
    finally a comment I can agree on... the fan base would hate it.

dps elitist would whine cause it's not MOAR DPS. "casuals" would hate it because it cost dil and you know thats always evil. pvpers would hate it because it's not pvp.

real casuals would probably be ok, but their ok with everything. rpers would love it. but who cares about them.

I usually get around to the good ideas, just takes me a little while to get warmed up sometimes. :cool:

Dare I say, a vanity item a PVPer would love.. marks on the hull for recorded players kills. Basically anything that shows off kills, again something the screen shot frame would work for. A wall decoration in the ready room with numeric tallies below faction symbols.

Remember when it comes to selling items/services to PVPer's stroking that ego is sometimes nearly as effective as adding DPS. Especially things easily seen by others who know what they mean.

I guess being a gamer for so long and have mellowed to something of a "casual" who years ago used to be a "PVPer," (in other games) but who is still just enough "hardcore" in play style to like both vanity items And extra DPS gear I can appreciate more options than some would.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That's just your opinion. And I disagree. I'd rather not pay 7,000 dil per zen.
    ???? I would rather not as well. That is the whole point.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    edited September 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Funny, you spelled "positive" wrong.

The timegates mean that the benefits from investing more time per day into the game is capped.
    That in turn means that anyone who has better things to do than invest hours upon hours into the game on a daily basis will still make the same progress, or at least won't fall behind by ridiculous amounts.

It's the same design philosophy used to balance Large and Small (~30 active players) Fleet Holdings. The Large Fleet can only make so much progress on their Fleet Holdings before suffering from massive diminishing returns on their investment, which essentially means the Small Fleet won't fall behind if they get their projects done on time. (Again though, this is by Cryptic's definition of Small Fleet, not Tiny 6-man Fleets.)

It's the same design philosophy used by the current reputation systems, where you can easily get your daily box of marks, which is sufficient for the major 20 hr project. Grinding the 1 hr projects only get you ahead a bit, but they even considered that disparity too much, and capped it at 3.

This design philosophy is designed to not let casual gamers, the majority of any game, fall behind so much that they feel they've been left behind with no way to catch up. As an adult employed full-time with various real-life responsibilities, I think it's great. It's like having a maximum quota, after I hit it there's no pressure to do more.

So you support implementation of mechanisms which actively promotes players spending less time in game. Well why not just charge by the hour and be done with it? No wait people with money will surely have an extensive advantage - never mind.... :rolleyes:
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    edited September 2014
    The current philosophical orientation is clearly not but like everything it will eventually change.