test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dauntless!

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dang, with all the discussions around here about the negatives of purchasing the DQ pack, I was leaning toward not getting it...

Now with this, I'm leaning back toward getting it.

I've got two more paydays before DQ hits, should be able to put aside enough to get it.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Now their is a T6 I can like.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Has anyone thought about what the Particle synthesis console will do to PvP?

Talk about a nightmare...

Anyway, I'm having a hard time believing that they "just found" the plans for the ship. considering only one was ever built and both the ship and the moron what build it got themselves borgified.

On the other hand, it is possible that they located the planet/moon/base where the original Dauntless was built and all the computers were still intact.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Predictable, but looks hot.

Looks like I'm saving up for the Delta pack...
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm also looking forward to when we can buy single ships, rather than the full pack. Not all of us play 3 factions. Do we have an ETA on that?

Probably not until the expansion is released.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Dang, with all the discussions around here about the negatives of purchasing the DQ pack, I was leaning toward not getting it...

I've got two more paydays before DQ hits, should be able to put aside enough to get it.

Go for it, if that's what you want! No worries, if that's your playstyle! Dooooo-Iiiit! It's a great deal if you play all 3 factions, but mostly Fed.

KDF and Rommies still need a bit more though. Ya kinda gotta admit that.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A. Looks like a damn squid.

B. Nobody with half a brain will buy DR packs while your server is jacked up... again.

C. Might wanna fix your TRIBBLE so you stop bleeding customers.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Nice looking ship, first of the T6s I'd consider buying.

Yup, same here! Love this ship and can't wait for it to hit the C-store as a solo account wide purchase!

Well done with this one Cryptic! No criticism this time from me! :)
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wait til its sold separately... and see the stats before buying the pack
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A. Looks like a damn squid.

B. Nobody with half a brain will buy DR packs while your server is jacked up... again.

C. Might wanna fix your TRIBBLE so you stop bleeding customers.

A. serisously? where you getting that from

B. must be a personal/limited problem....my ****ty internet is having 0 problems

C. Bleeding? dont recall having any bleeding recently....
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Great and all, but where's meh Typhoon and Jupiter?
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cool.

And for the KDF...?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you're going to announce a new ship, announce it when you've decided what its stats will be so that we can evaluate it. The art looks nice, but that doesn't mean anything.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    while it certainly is not my favorite kind of ship its certainly an interesting addition
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »

As a Delta Rising Operations Pack purchaser or what it's called I would like to remind you that there will likely be a way to buy the ship separately. Of course, if you are actually somewhat interested in the other ships and/or want to reward Cryptic, the Delta Rising Pack is a good choice.

And also I somehow doubt this ship wasn't planned from the start to be part of the package.

---

Regarding comparisons to what the ship looks like - I am actually reminded of the Prometheus, the saucer at least. (I wonder if the original designers on Voyager based some of it on their Prometheus model.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rhiaroserhiarose Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Really? you guys are seriously going with the "no standard free t6 ships" route?

And before the appologists start in with "the last xpac didnt provide free fleet ships" BS let me very plainly state that the last xpac did not increase the level cap and it did in fact provide free ships in line with the current free ships provided to the Feds and Klingons,

This xpac includes a LEVEL CAP INCREASE, and unless im reading serioulsy outdated information (which I doubt since the info im reading is a week old) even upgrading most ships will cost Zen.

So to upgrade it costs zen and to own a T6 ship it costs zen.....

So basically the "free" expansion costs $25-$149 depending on how much disposable income you have and how much you are willing to spend...

And no, im not going to spend 3 months grinding dillithium, I make more money in 2 hours of work than I could make in a week of farming Dil, and farming isnt really free, its labor hours, 9/10 grinding something you have the option to buy for cash outright in these games costs more in labor hours than getting out your credit card and b uying the ships outright.

Tell you what, next xpac, sell it for full price but give away the ships for free, I can respect that business model, but this is just outright shoddy business practices.

Just word of caution PWE, the other day I was playing LOTRO and in general chat there was much rumbling about fear that LOTRO would get sold to EA, until someone piped up in general chat "could be worse, they could sell it to PWE" the uproar that caused should make you guys think twice about your business practices, to be despised worse than EA, thats an achievement. The paygate routine may work in specific markets that have been nickle and dimed for decades but many of your games are played in other markets where people dont apperciate being drained of their money for every thing they want to do in game.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Huh.. well that's interesting.
    FYI:

The standard array of Federation hull materials (including the Type 6) will be available to this vessel, as well as the window & escape pod options.

Groovy.

Mmmmmmm, type 6 Dauntless.
    dirlettia wrote: »
    So, erm, any idea when Steam will have it or even the expansion announcement on it?

uh.. the same day that everyone has it? -edit- Oh, I see that Steam has the Romulan packs too, nvm, I get it now.
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Great and all, but where's meh Typhoon and Jupiter?

Gimme mah Typhoon!

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, it's nice that we'll at getting at least one more canon ship....even if it's appropriateness is debatable.

But I'm not going to get excited until I hear that my old ships like my D'deridex or Nebula are going to be available in T6.
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Cool.

And for the KDF...?

New flavor of Klingon Blood Pie half the carbs twice the chocolatey (bloody) goodness and helps the fight against gingivitis...
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
    edited September 2014
    A. serisously? where you getting that from

B. must be a personal/limited problem....my ****ty internet is having 0 problems

C. Bleeding? dont recall having any bleeding recently....

I think it's kinda funny when folks say stuff like this (not you jaro the person you quoted).

Go back and take a good look at Trek ships, many of them have "creature" like features.

The Romulans all resemble "Birds of Prey" of some kind, (as well as many Klink ships).

The Enterprise-D and Voyager both have a spitting-image "Cobra" neck feature.

The shape of the Constitution and it's Federation prot
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited September 2014
    As a Delta Rising Operations Pack purchaser or what it's called I would like to remind you that there will likely be a way to buy the ship separately. Of course, if you are actually somewhat interested in the other ships and/or want to reward Cryptic, the Delta Rising Pack is a good choice.

And also I somehow doubt this ship wasn't planned from the start to be part of the package.

---

Regarding comparisons to what the ship looks like - I am actually reminded of the Prometheus, the saucer at least. (I wonder if the original designers on Voyager based some of it on their Prometheus model.)

Actually, I think of it more as a Purchase of Their efforts, and a Reward For Me to be able to use while playing their game.

• uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So 5 fed, 2 KDF and 2 Romulan ships. I'm not complaining but are there plans for more KDF and Rom ships?
    edited September 2014
    rhiarose wrote: »
    Really? you guys are seriously going with the "no standard free t6 ships" route?

And before the appologists start in with "the last xpac didnt provide free fleet ships" BS let me very plainly state that the last xpac did not increase the level cap and it did in fact provide free ships in line with the current free ships provided to the Feds and Klingons,

This xpac includes a LEVEL CAP INCREASE, and unless im reading serioulsy outdated information (which I doubt since the info im reading is a week old) even upgrading most ships will cost Zen.

So to upgrade it costs zen and to own a T6 ship it costs zen.....

So basically the "free" expansion costs $25-$149 depending on how much disposable income you have and how much you are willing to spend...

And no, im not going to spend 3 months grinding dillithium, I make more money in 2 hours of work than I could make in a week of farming Dil, and farming isnt really free, its labor hours, 9/10 grinding something you have the option to buy for cash outright in these games costs more in labor hours than getting out your credit card and b uying the ships outright.

Tell you what, next xpac, sell it for full price but give away the ships for free, I can respect that business model, but this is just outright shoddy business practices.

Just word of caution PWE, the other day I was playing LOTRO and in general chat there was much rumbling about fear that LOTRO would get sold to EA, until someone piped up in general chat "could be worse, they could sell it to PWE" the uproar that caused should make you guys think twice about your business practices, to be despised worse than EA, thats an achievement. The paygate routine may work in specific markets that have been nickle and dimed for decades but many of your games are played in other markets where people dont apperciate being drained of their money for every thing they want to do in game.

Are we positive that the first time we play though the various new "Missions" there won't be some version of a T-6 given as a Freebie??

edited September 2014
    So 5 fed, 2 KDF and 2 Romulan ships. I'm not complaining but are there plans for more KDF and Rom ships?

There are always plans... Just have to wait and see if they pan out.

• dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2014

If I recall correctly, Message in a Bottle (the first showing of the Prometheus) aired after Hope and Fear (the first and only showing of the Dauntless). and knowing how Voyager was written, with no coherence or continuity whatsoever, it is likely that the artists based the Prometheus on the Dauntless.

Both ships are still pretty though, but I won't be buying this. I'm not big on science ships.

EDIT: scratch that. I'm wrong. the episodes aired the other way around. so yeah, the artists probably did base the dauntless on the Prometheus. probably because they though the wedge-shaped primary hull looked cool.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh Trendy, My Trendy! our fearful trip is done,
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won!

-=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=-=/\=-=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=-
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    An incoming transmission from:
    The Trilateral Star Group High Command:
    Interstellar Alliance TriStar Command
    [FED]+[ROM]+[KDF]
    -=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=-=/\=-=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=--=-[]-=-

I bought the pack two days ago. I had a very strong feeling the swag would start to roll in just like it did when I bought the full Legacy of Romulus package!

This is cool as kewl can be Trendy. Thank YOU and the Devs. I knew you'd all come through. STO is rockin. I just started doing the Tribble missions and leveling up my ships and gear. Great Job!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Now this I may well buy, as a standalone in the C-Store.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can it use the Veteran material too?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • rjoy79rjoy79 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Loving the Dauntless, but for a person who only has TAC toons, I don't see myself flying this. If there was a TAC version, that'd probably be my primary ship.
    edited September 2014
    Something that just occurred to me...

I have never watched the "Hope & Fear" episode that this ship is from.

The week it debuted on UPN, I had a power outage for three days in my area and when the repeat came around my VCR was out of commission.

Weird, I haven't thought of that till today...

Guess I've got a Netflix date this evening.