Announcing the Dauntless!

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can it use the Veteran material too?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    rjoy79rjoy79 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Loving the Dauntless, but for a person who only has TAC toons, I don't see myself flying this. If there was a TAC version, that'd probably be my primary ship.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Something that just occurred to me...

I have never watched the "Hope & Fear" episode that this ship is from.

The week it debuted on UPN, I had a power outage for three days in my area and when the repeat came around my VCR was out of commission.

Weird, I haven't thought of that till today...

Guess I've got a Netflix date this evening.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh just take my money already!!!!

:D
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm all about it.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Cool.

And for the KDF...?

A very fair question. Don't hold your breath waiting for the answer though.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We've seen most ships from special events or packs end up in the c-store. I expect the dauntless will be no different. Unfortunately, I also expect it will end up becoming a 3-piece set, though I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rhiarose wrote: »
    Really? you guys are seriously going with the "no standard free t6 ships" route?

And before the appologists start in with "the last xpac didnt provide free fleet ships" BS let me very plainly state that the last xpac did not increase the level cap and it did in fact provide free ships in line with the current free ships provided to the Feds and Klingons,

This xpac includes a LEVEL CAP INCREASE, and unless im reading serioulsy outdated information (which I doubt since the info im reading is a week old) even upgrading most ships will cost Zen.

So to upgrade it costs zen and to own a T6 ship it costs zen.....

So basically the "free" expansion costs $25-$149 depending on how much disposable income you have and how much you are willing to spend...

And no, im not going to spend 3 months grinding dillithium, I make more money in 2 hours of work than I could make in a week of farming Dil, and farming isnt really free, its labor hours, 9/10 grinding something you have the option to buy for cash outright in these games costs more in labor hours than getting out your credit card and b uying the ships outright.

Tell you what, next xpac, sell it for full price but give away the ships for free, I can respect that business model, but this is just outright shoddy business practices.

Just word of caution PWE, the other day I was playing LOTRO and in general chat there was much rumbling about fear that LOTRO would get sold to EA, until someone piped up in general chat "could be worse, they could sell it to PWE" the uproar that caused should make you guys think twice about your business practices, to be despised worse than EA, thats an achievement. The paygate routine may work in specific markets that have been nickle and dimed for decades but many of your games are played in other markets where people dont apperciate being drained of their money for every thing they want to do in game.

Had to stop reading at "I'm not going to spend 3 months" because at that point you clearly no longer have anything relevant to say. The game is free to play, but on PWE's terms, not the completely over-entitled terms that you seem to think are reasonable. You either pay and get things now and directly support the people who are being paid to make the game (that is, you work in the real world and convert that to time savings in the game), or you work in the game to provide for the people who pay to actually keep the game running.

When you make your own game, then give it away and manage to support it completely free with everyone getting everything in the game the moment they start playing with no effort put into it, let me know. I will come in and TRIBBLE all over your forums about what I don't like about it - which will be how completely pointless the game is. It's only fair.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A welcome surprise. I thought this would be a mid-season addition if and when it came.

Bonus for the early Delta Pack purchasers nice. She's a beauty as always.

She does look a little like a Hombold squid with her elongated Saucer section and short nacelles, I never noticed that.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I knew the Dauntless was coming. I had expected it to be the Anniversary Event ship, though. :)
    That would've been interesting especially with the "found schematics" angle. That would've been the perfect storyline for a repeating mission, each time you get a single piece of a schematic and you have to keep going til you get it all.

Actually this ship's design and impact is so good that an anniversary version followed by a three pack would've been justified.

Next question. Will her slipstream be superior to the Vesta's? It should be the fastest slipstream in the game by far....heck this thing technically shouldn't even have a warp drive.
    If they sell a stand-alone version, I would consider buying it. Same goes for the Guardian.

But if they make it exclusive to the pack? No sale. I won't buy the pack for 1 lone ship.

I am curious if they are re-creating the interior of the ship, since they did such a good job re-creating the exterior. That episode had a ton of interior footage, and it would be a shame not to get that bridge into the ship. Perhaps a setup like the Welles Bridge?
    No worries, they always sell the stuff in the pack separately, this is just an opportunity for a mass discount.

Moreover I'm wonder if they'll have both the alien and false Starfleet bridge options. And the engineering was extremely unique so it might be worth it.
    So they just "found" plans for this thing laying around in the middle of nowhere? That's really the best excuse you could come up with?

And yet another ship for the c-store and still no free promotion tier 6 ship. Nice.

Well Species 116 has likely been completely assimilated by the Borg. In any event if the Borg didn't assimilate or destroy their shipyards or there were shipyards well outside of the Borg's interest then the schematics could've been left behind by fleeing refugees. A derelict ship etc. There are lots of ways such information would get left out by a civilization being conquered and destroyed as they retreat. That made me really sad writing that out :(

Well they haven't given us a free ship for promotion since Rear Admiral, so I'm not surprised.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »

Well Species 116 has likely been completely assimilated by the Borg. In any event if the Borg didn't assimilate or destroy their shipyards or there were shipyards well outside of the Borg's interest then the schematics could've been left behind by fleeing refugees. A derelict ship etc. There are lots of ways such information would get left out by a civilization being conquered and destroyed as they retreat.

This aspect though is also underused in the game. Surely since the Borg assimilated the species responsible for creating this tech we should now have borg tactical spheres which disguise themselves as us, or kazon etc making the delta quadrant a borg quadrant now. Why would the borg ignore the tech?

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    This aspect though is also underused in the game. Surely since the Borg assimilated the species responsible for creating this tech we should now have borg tactical spheres which disguise themselves as us, or kazon etc making the delta quadrant a borg quadrant now. Why would the borg ignore the tech?

Or either the aspect of those who were assimilated that have the knowledge the borg have that don't fault the federation. On that they could be part of the liberated borg group in the delta quadrant and that is where they got the specs for it from lol.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Because they assimilated gentlemen long ago. They're not going to dirty themselves with underhanded tactics when they can openly engage their foes on the field of honor!

Hey, why else did you think they all wore black?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What if the Borg just don't believe that using camouflage is necessary?

They have a "Charge-In/Overwhelm" kind of mentality...,

Using a disguise is definitely NOT needed with that kind of mindset.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So 5 fed, 2 KDF and 2 Romulan ships. I'm not complaining but are there plans for more KDF and Rom ships?

KDF and ROM are not bringing the money like FED's do.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So where are all the "Wharz mah free ship" people or did the bubble burst and they finally relise they wont be getting a free T-6 ship with DR.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    I knew this day was coming. Now I just have to decide if I want the Dauntless first or the Guardian first (pending stats, of course). Decisions, decisions...

My thoughts exactly! Had the guardian pegged for my Alien Sci Captain, buut noow, its all change in the QziQza household...
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So where are all the "Wharz mah free ship" people or did the bubble burst and they finally relise they wont be getting a free T-6 ship with DR.

You must not have read much of the thread, they were here by page 2 :P
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    FYI:

The standard array of Federation hull materials (including the Type 6) will be available to this vessel, as well as the window & escape pod options.

Groovy.

thats just extra jam on my cinnamon toast baby!!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    You must not have read much of the thread, they were here by page 2 :P

ha ha so they were i stand corrected :D
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wharz mah free ship? NARDRARGES!! gARRRZZ!!!

:P
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    doublecha wrote: »
    Another starfleet ship :-(

Yeah but don't worry these starfleet ships will far outgun the ships of the kdf lol.
  • Options
    leeandrew80leeandrew80 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    YES! I had hoped this ship would eventually make into the game even if not a real FED ship. The given explanation is exactly what I thought about too and therefore really look forward to this baby.

Thank you! :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Had to stop reading at "I'm not going to spend 3 months" because at that point you clearly no longer have anything relevant to say. The game is free to play, but on PWE's terms, not the completely over-entitled terms that you seem to think are reasonable. You either pay and get things now and directly support the people who are being paid to make the game (that is, you work in the real world and convert that to time savings in the game), or you work in the game to provide for the people who pay to actually keep the game running.

When you make your own game, then give it away and manage to support it completely free with everyone getting everything in the game the moment they start playing with no effort put into it, let me know. I will come in and TRIBBLE all over your forums about what I don't like about it - which will be how completely pointless the game is. It's only fair.

If this post was coloured spandex, Ric Flair would wear it as his signature outfit!!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    ereiidereiid Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yay!

Another atriciously proportioned, hideous piece-of-**** design to tempt me with overpowered stats, before deciding I'd rather boil my own eyeballs in lye!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ereiid wrote: »
    Yay!

Another atriciously proportioned, hideous piece-of-**** design to tempt me with overpowered stats, before deciding I'd rather boil my own eyeballs in lye!

that sounds tricky and dangerous, wouldn't want you to have an accident and damage something else instead, may i suggest that a laser may be a better option?

http://io9.com/386790/air-force-study-shows-how-to-boil-eyeballs-with-lasers
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    eternal0solsticeeternal0solstice Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Captains! We're happy to announce that the Dauntless Class Experimental Science Vessel has been added to the Delta Rising: Operations Pack for anyone that has already purchased the pack or purchases the pack moving forward. Read more about it in our latest blog by Lead Producer, Stephen “Salami Inferno” Ricossa!

Check it out in our blog here!

~LaughingTrendy

Will it be available for separate purchase?
    "I was born under fire. I am a soldier from birth..."
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Biological and technological.

The Borg's transwarp network would render the Quantum Slipstream Drive redundant, and I doubt that the Borg are incapable of Particle Synthesis.

So why assimilate Species 116?

Arturis provides the answer. With his impressive cranial capacity he also showed an incredible ability to decipher encryption and pattern recognition. If his mental computational prowess is common in his species, then their assimilation could've been a as a result of their impressive brains and thus their processing capacity.

The Borg assimilated Romulans back at the end of Season 2 of the Next Generation with "The Neutral Zone" but they don't use cloaking devices. They don't need them. If they want something, they come in force. They Adapt....and then they Overcome. Then they tried to mess around in the Alpha Quadrant...things have been going downhill since then.
    Or either the aspect of those who were assimilated that have the knowledge the borg have that don't fault the federation. On that they could be part of the liberated borg group in the delta quadrant and that is where they got the specs for it from lol.

An excellent alternative.
    ereiid wrote: »
    Yay!

You can't blame Cryptic for a canon design though.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    and cryptic's fascination with butt ugly designs continues >.<
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Moreover I'm wonder if they'll have both the alien and false Starfleet bridge options. And the engineering was extremely unique so it might be worth it.
    Especially the not-a-warp-core. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    and cryptic's fascination with butt ugly designs continues >.<
    But at the very least, no one can say they designed this one - it's a canon show design, as been stated :P
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.