test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dauntless!

Comments

• coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like the look (alien design) now will this have 5/5 weapons slots instead of the 3/3 usually found in the SCI vessels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    I like the look (alien design) now will this have 5/5 weapons slots instead of the 3/3 usually found in the SCI vessels.
    To me it looks more Federation than the intelligence ships. In fact the design never look a million miles away from something a Federation ship yard would eventually produce on there own. It not that far from the Prometheus.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is good, many players been asking for this ship. Glad to see them coming out with it, and hope it sells.

I won't get it at this time. Since my Sci is under lv10. If later if the ship can be bought single and not in a pack I will get it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Finally, a decent looking Fed ship. I'm definitely interested.
  • rickskynightrickskynight Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, it's nice that we'll at getting at least one more canon ship....even if it's appropriateness is debatable.

Appropriatness? Im happy we get the ship, I think it fits, most who have seen voyager know the ship. Most posts have been positive about the ship. I think they did a good thing by including it.
    But I'm not going to get excited until I hear that my old ships like my D'deridex or Nebula are going to be available in T6.

I agree, I love those two ships. Nebula was my first c-store ship years and years ago. The D'deridex is still the romulan's main iconic ship. The fleet version with T5-U status it got an extra engineering slot and I have kinda been "wtf" about that. It does get a nice hull hp increase, but I think another eng slot was kinda overkill in that department.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    fireseeed wrote: »
    To me it looks more Federation than the intelligence ships. In fact the design never look a million miles away from something a Federation ship yard would eventually produce on there own. It not that far from the Prometheus.
    The Intelligence ships are supposed to look un-Starfleet, because their purpose is unlike their usual operations.

And it's hardly that different from the introduction of the Defiant, or the Prometheus. Before the Defiant, every ship had pylons connected the different sections; this ship was connected all over, not to mention being straight-up built for war, instead of multi-tasking. Before the Prometheus, no ship had more/less than 2 nacelles; then that changed.

They're trying new designs, and the initial reaction always starts off rocky (just look at the Galaxy-class intro lol)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    since exploration of the delta quadrant is a joint faction effort...perhaps the same plans might have fallen into KDF and Romulan hands for thier own versions?

A lot of us who have Feds have alts in the other factions....you can sell me 3 ships for little more than the development cost of one?
    edited September 2014
    So 5 fed, 2 KDF and 2 Romulan ships. I'm not complaining but are there plans for more KDF and Rom ships?

Here is one of the problems the devs have. The dauntless is a canon ship. Most star trek shows pretty much focus primarily on the federation and that is the majority of ships they have for references. In Voyager you had just an episode or two with romulans and klingons. So there is practically no DQ content for them. Because of this, the devs have to go and make new ship designs that they are hoping will reflect what the roms and kdf would use in the delta quadrant and also at the same time have to try to make them likeable to most of the player base. It might not sound like a big task, but trying to keep the majority of people happy is quite a huge feet. There will always be the people saying "oh this does fit kdf, or roms would never use that".

KDF and Roms will get more stuff, its just going to take time.
    edited September 2014
    rjoy79 wrote: »
    Loving the Dauntless, but for a person who only has TAC toons, I don't see myself flying this. If there was a TAC version, that'd probably be my primary ship.

pretend with your prometheus.. Which BTW was an episode or two of voyager. Just have your EMH boff onboard, upgrade to t5-u and you should be happy LOL
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    What if the Borg just don't believe that using camouflage is necessary?

They have a "Charge-In/Overwhelm" kind of mentality...,

Using a disguise is definitely NOT needed with that kind of mindset.

:cool:

Which is why you never see borg using cloaking devices. Something they surely assimilated a long time ago from klingons or who ever else.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    The Intelligence ships are supposed to look un-Starfleet, because their purpose is unlike their usual operations.

And it's hardly that different from the introduction of the Defiant, or the Prometheus. Before the Defiant, every ship had pylons connected the different sections; this ship was connected all over, not to mention being straight-up built for war, instead of multi-tasking. Before the Prometheus, no ship had more/less than 2 nacelles; then that changed.

They're trying new designs, and the initial reaction always starts off rocky (just look at the Galaxy-class intro lol)

There were ships with more, and less, than two nacelles before Voyager introduced the Prometheus Class.
  • sashibaisashibai Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is it me or does that ship look like a garden spade?
  • azmodeasazmodeas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've mixed feelings on this ship release. On one hand, I'm jumping for joy the ship is going to be in the game with the expansion. On the other hand being limted as a Feddie bear ship only, takes the wind out of my enthusiam for the expansion. Cryptic had a perfect oppertunity to showcase a unique starship designed by aliens, that's shared and used by the Delta alliance. Ie all three faction can use. That to me seems a very missed oppertunity.

If the stats are good, I might consider grinding up a feddie sci to make use of the Dauntless sci ship. choices an choices. :eek:
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    where are the KDF ships?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    fireseeed wrote: »

Well there are two things behind that.

Most supplemental materials show that warp flight and the manipulation of subspace fields does depend on the shape of the ship in how the field propagates. So it isn't impossible that two different cultures would have starships with similar shapes. Species 116 was clearly on the other side of the Transwarp barrier, but Starfleet was always advancing. The Prometheus at the time of its construction was the fastest ship in the fleet likely because the Prometheus was exploring a new avenue in fast hull designs.

Second and more immediately relevant, the Dauntless was meant to be a honey trap for a Starfleet ship. Even if Species 116 had dozens of ship designs available, Arturis likely chose the design that most closely resembled what he could decipher about Starfleet Ship design. Also he had previously intercepted their communiques, including communiques about Starfleet's latest efforts including experimental and hypothetical engine designs and warp theories. (Hope and Fear was one of my favorite episodes). In short, he knew his audience.
    trek21 wrote: »

You're forgetting the Constellation class, surprising since they just released it like last week.

In the non-canon but once canon there was the Franz Federation class which is the predecessor and originator of the Galaxy X, namely a three nacelle dreadnaught Constitution class.

There were also single nacelle scout vessels in.

That said, yes Starfleet is in a more experimental phase with ship design.

To me the Eclipse looks like the love child of the Prometheus and the Constellation/Stargazer class.

I don't think she's a bad looking ship, in fact the look is growing on me. But I don't think that is the direction for general ship design. I'll also say again that I don't like the Universe class Enterprise-J and I sincerely hope that the devs aren't trying to evolve ship design in that direction. That said, I like the Guardian class cruiser quite a bit.

Here is one of the problems the devs have. The dauntless is a canon ship. Most star trek shows pretty much focus primarily on the federation and that is the majority of ships they have for references. In Voyager you had just an episode or two with romulans and klingons. So there is practically no DQ content for them. Because of this, the devs have to go and make new ship designs that they are hoping will reflect what the roms and kdf would use in the delta quadrant and also at the same time have to try to make them likeable to most of the player base. It might not sound like a big task, but trying to keep the majority of people happy is quite a huge feet. There will always be the people saying "oh this does fit kdf, or roms would never use that".

KDF and Roms will get more stuff, its just going to take time.

Very true, in fact I'm fairly sure that every canon Klingon and Romulan ship is now represented in the game. In fact the Hegh'ta (my favorite Bird of Prey) is based on a concept Bird of Prey for a new class in DS9's The Way of the Warrior.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am still hoping for Warship Voyager.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nice... but I am Tact.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sweet that the ship is being added to the game, and to the Delta Pack, but as a pretty much Rom only player, it doesn't add much incentive.

Would still like to see either more Rom ships added to the pack, or a cheaper Rom version of the pack without all the cross faction ships in it. I'm not that interested in buying a bunch of ships I will never use (7 at current count).
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Has anyone thought about what the Particle synthesis console will do to PvP?

Talk about a nightmare...

Anyway, I'm having a hard time believing that they "just found" the plans for the ship. considering only one was ever built and both the ship and the moron what build it got themselves borgified.

On the other hand, it is possible that they located the planet/moon/base where the original Dauntless was built and all the computers were still intact.

they could have wrote that better since the Voyager Crew did go trough that ship like a Hurricane, I'm sure the ship schematics were in her database. "While debriefing the crew of Voyager, Star Fleet Core of Engineers found the schematics of the NX-01-A U.S.S. Dauntless an alien vessel that was imposing as a Star Fleet vessel in the Delta Quadrant. After going through all the specs of the ship, the Core of Engineers were confident that the ship's design would work for Star Fleet's new deep space program." If you guys would like to use that as a base for a "better" introduction for the ship, by all means use it.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I look forward to take my Dauntless into battle at Procyon V!!!
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    Any news on the Typhoon/Jupiter?
    No need to draw them up, as they are already drawn up, just slap on some stats and sell the MF'ers...er... I mean ships.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    Any news on the Typhoon/Jupiter?
    No need to draw them up, as they are already drawn up, just slap on some stats and sell the MF'ers...er... I mean ships.

This would be awesome.

I hope it will be sooner rather than later.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So 5 fed, 2 KDF and 2 Romulan ships. I'm not complaining but are there plans for more KDF and Rom ships?

Of course not, don't be silly.

Cryptic will go back to releasing only FED and Lockbox/Lobi ships after DR launches. I imagine these two ships for KDF and two for ROM will be the only faction-specific T6 ships. Heck, if anything, I'd expect a new ship for the ROM first than for the KDF.

I'm constantly saying this, but seriously, just count how many ships did the KDF get over the last two and a half years. Especially ones that weren't a blatant copy-paste of a FED ship in terms of stats.

And even the Fleet Guramba, promissed almost two years ago, is nowhere to be seen, with no current plans to release it.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am still hoping for Warship Voyager.
    that would rock. :D Did they do a mirror Intrepid yet?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sweet!!!!!

I'm gonna name mine - The Sickly Sea Cow - in honor of its appearance that it looks like a sea creature that's desperately grasping onto life, after beaching itself several times.

Made me lol
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    that would rock. :D Did they do a mirror Intrepid yet?

a mirror intrepid, and a t6 (at least a t5)... I got plans... and I want to move out of the Bell.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ereiid wrote: »
    Yay!

Another atriciously proportioned, hideous piece-of-**** design to tempt me with overpowered stats, before deciding I'd rather boil my own eyeballs in lye!
    Said by an individual with a Vesta in a signature.

LOL!
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So they just "found" plans for this thing laying around in the middle of nowhere? That's really the best excuse you could come up with?
    Yeah, you'd think all that data that Voyager brought back would be enough. I mean, it helped Starfleet to reverse engineer slipstream drives and ships designed around it, at which point the only difference between the Vesta and the Dauntless is their hull configuration.
    And they couldn't gleam that from Voyager logs? Come on!
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • stostargatewarsstostargatewars Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While I am happy that the dauntless is added to the pack I do hope they fix the stardrive it is way to pointed should be flat in a triangle shape with the blue glow circle in the middle.
  • captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jdalton1 wrote: »
    OMG YES!!!!!! :D You're getting my money Cryptic :P. Always wanted this ship ingame, really chuffed now! :)

WOW!! They are bringing out the Dauntless, I never thought they'd actually do it :cool: I'm buying it as soon as they offer it individually in the Zen store! (Edit: my main concern isn't the looks but size. According to the DITL the Dauntless has a crew of about 150, which would make it smaller than the Long Range Science Vessel or Voyager-class.)

PS Manfred is a German male name, so... nope. But I'll see you ingame (maybe PvP, lol)
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"