test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Hey Quinn, get out of MY chair and take a ship to fight the Borg"

newplayerguy7newplayerguy7 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
From the latest Dev Blog:

"One of the joys of getting ahead is earning a new title for your rank. Federation and Romulan characters will advance from Admiral to Fleet Admiral. KDF characters will rise through the ranks to become a General and later a Dahar Master.

Al “Captain Geko” Rivera
Lead Designer
Star Trek Online"

We're all gonna be Fleet Admirals?

Can't wait until the next level increase - "President of the Federation" for everyone! And after that - "King of the Universe"! Woot! Can't wait for that "joy'!

:rolleyes:

Why wasn't Rank capped at Captain? (except Guild Leaders who could unlock Admiral titles). This 'everyone is a Fleet Admiral' is stupidly ridiculous!
Post edited by newplayerguy7 on

Comments

• Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Agreed. I believe it should be changed but I doubt it will. So just do what I do and imagine everyone including yourself as a Captain and ignore the titles and pips. As for Fleet Leaders I would consider them Commodores, Captains who are in charge of more than one ship.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I question this since the launch, why include Ranks into the leveling progress at all...

Why cant it be simply a Level and you are able to unlock Rank / Ranktitles via the achivement system...

Has the big advantage of beeing able to increase the levelcap to any level they want without compromising the Ranksystem.

Fleetadmiral is just hilarious. Theres like 1 or 2 Fleetadmirals in the whole starfleet...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    My character's wearing commodore pips (well RE:LH) and isn't leaving them for a Fleet Admiral set ever.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I question this since the launch, why include Ranks into the leveling progress at all...

Why cant it be simply a Level and you are able to unlock Rank / Ranktitles via the achivement system...

Has the big advantage of beeing able to increase the levelcap to any level they want without compromising the Ranksystem.

Fleetadmiral is just hilarious. Theres like 1 or 2 Fleetadmirals in the whole starfleet...

actually there were a dozen fleet admirals in Star Fleet, Fleet admirals hold power over.....well fleets, and generally they were the highest in field ranks obtainable. though deskbound admirals still have the majority of authority.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is only one true Admiral of Starfleet and that's Admiral Patrick! "that's a stupid question!" :D

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/daYKTvCBNz8/hqdefault.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Read this. As far as the in-game story goes, it's only you getting promoted. There are no other players. It's not all that difficult to understand.

One player's headcanon in trying to make an MMO into a single player game is at best a misguided endeavour.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Read this. As far as the in-game story goes, it's only you getting promoted. There are no other players. It's not all that difficult to understand.

That's a lame excuse. Besides, doesn't explain why we still get ordered around by characters of lower rank.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dahar master is one thing, it isn't uncommon to have more then one of them... but all those Fleet Admirals in Starfleet? That'll be very weird indeed!
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Forgive me, but I don't really see the big problem with Fleet Admiral, you still have the title choice of Captain.

Personally, I'd like to be called, Oh handsome overload of awesomeness... :P
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    That's a lame excuse. Besides, doesn't explain why we still get ordered around by characters of lower rank.

They aren't ordering us, they are just asking for help. That's why we can wander off and go to Risa for a couple of days if we feel like it before heading back to help them out. At least that's how I see it, otherwise we'd probably have lost our ships and ranks by now given how long some of those missions have been sitting in my log for.

I would point out Quinn would still outrank us whilst we are Fleet Admirals, of course I'd hope in future expansions if they raise the cap again, they stretch out some of the existing ranks to make it look like we got up a lot slower than we did.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Quinn had the Fluidic Space Fleet Action Trophy in his old office on ESD, OP. Have you gotten 1st place in that before it was removed?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So we are all gone be in charge then! Still cant refine more than 8000 dillitium a day.... but I order it be done damn it! Seriously tho, I only ever put captain pips on my characters just dont see the point of admiral rank ( technically we should all have a desk job an this should be an office mmo ).
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    By max level we'll be the same rank as Quinn, and will be outranking T'nae. One would hope that we'll have the option of doing some admiral type stuff, or being able to make some decisions of importance (at least in the storyline). Supposedly we still won't have that 'space away team' thing ready by the next season though. So in practice it still sounds like we'll be captains in all but name.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walshicus wrote: »

Because rank is not the only thing that decides who has authority in a matter. At least not in the military I was trained in.

If some lowly Lieutenant is charged with guard duty, he has the authority to command everyone, even an Admiral, to prove his identity, and also that of any guests he may bring, and decide whether the person are allowed entry, based on whatever rules and guidelines exist for the situation.

Now, if you're high enough rank, you probably also sit in a position where you could actually do something to change these Lieutenant orders, but it may not be a direct process as "Hey, have you counted my pips?" (And of course, if the Admiral is of a petty kind, he may hold a grudge and find ways to make the officers life - and career - difficult. )

If Starfleet tells Commander Bob that he is in charge of all Starfleet operations inside this sector, he may very well be allowed to even tell a Fleet Admiral that his job for the day is to figure out what's up with the rumours about a Klingon superweapon or whatever. Especially if the Fleet Admiral was told already by Starfleet Command that he's to serve in that sector under command of that Commander Bob, then he has to follow those orders.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, finally I can say to Quinn "You're not the boss of me".
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Meh... I may end up being a Fleet Admiral on paper, but I'm not trading in my Captain's pips on my Uniform. Heck... I rarely even touch my VA Pips now!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    One player's headcanon in trying to make an MMO into a single player game is at best a misguided endeavour.

Why do people not get the point of that thread? The fact that that's the way it is is so obvious that people were complaining about that thread being a captain obvious thread, and yet there are still people who can't get it through their head that all player characters are projections of the "canonical" protagonist. There isn't any other way it can work. There's only one Tovan Khev; hence, only one Romulan player character. Same with Flores and K'gan. And even beyond that, we do things that can only be done once. That's the price of having narrative content that everyone can play; there's not really any other way to do it.

Now, who exactly the canonical protagonist is, we may never know, unless they go the KOTOR route and just define it eventually.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    again I state the needed information

Desk bound admirals and officers who work on behalf of starfleet are the ones who either give or relay orders.

Admirals of low ranks can call forth missions and order higher ranks around since they are essentially Starfleet. Officers who are lower ranks than us order us around because they are essentially just Relaying Starfleet's orders.

Quinn is in charge of StarFleet operations and as such he outranks us.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    The whole argument over who the hero is doesn't really factor into it in my opinion. Yes the story of the game centers around you and your crew, however that doesn't discount other players you join with in queued PvE stuff or PvP. As far as your story is concerned, they're just other captains who are commanding their ships. Just like in any other fleet. Their stories don't have any impact on your own.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The truth isn't an excuse. In terms of the game's story, it's about you and your ship/crew.

And the four other Fleet Admirals helping you in that STF you're running....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What, epoh tagging is totally the job of a fleet admiral.

I guess the farmers will sit in the war room and control all that technology and manpower

Personally don't care about text or pixels especially since it's all non-canon but I know other people do and it made no sense to not work with them on this from day 1 or even now.

You know people like immersion, some like rp, so what's the point I really don't get it
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    LOL! You're still not getting it. It's kind of sad, but funny at the same time. :P

Yes it is.

If you choose in your own 'head canon' to close your eyes and go, "lalalala - I can't see or hear you other people in the game!" go right ahead if it helps you cope with the situation.

But the truth is this is a massive MULTIPLAYER online game.

The dev team really blew it with making everyone admirals. We should have been rank (not level) capped at Captain, with only guild leaders having access to Admiral.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The truth isn't an excuse. In terms of the game's story, it's about you and your ship/crew.

Explain multiplayer praytell?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Explain multiplayer praytell?

Well to an extent theres an ammount of Suspension of Disbelief thats appropriate in my view.

That Ferengi Cruiser you see, thats just a roving trader, that Xindi ship, I'll assume thats an actual Xindi crew, and that Dominion Dreadnought I'll assume is a visiting Ambassadors vessel.

So I can totally understand trying to rationalise things in the game that are controlled by other players
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Can't wait until the next level increase - "President of the Federation" for everyone! And after that - "King of the Universe"! Woot! Can't wait for that "joy'!

We're Starfleet (Or Klingon Defense Force) Officers.

While a KDF can rise up through the ranks to become Chancellor, a Starfleet officer must be ELECTED to be President of the Federation, it's not a rank, it's an office that is chosen by the population of the Federation.
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2014

That's the most inspiring post I've ever read.
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Clearly at level 70 we all become Q, then they re-instate the pre-beta bug of ships becoming players.