Options

"Hey Quinn, get out of MY chair and take a ship to fight the Borg"

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    I thought it was Article 14, Section 31 of the United Earth charter. Not Earth Starfleet.

Nope, Earth Starfleet Charter. The Federation Starfleet evidently just reused the text of the document with a new header.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    It's Ilia.

Scotty's nephew Peter Preston was no an enlistedman. He was a Midshipman 1st class. He was one of the cadets, which is why "He stayed at his post...when the trainees ran" is so important. He was a trainee too, but he already had the nerves of steel.

There were many enlistedmen throughout TOS and the movies. In fact one was extremely prominent throughout season 1 and a favorite of Gene Roddeberry. Yeoman Janice Rand. Yeoman is an extremely enlisted position and that was maintained through TMP where she was a Transporter Chief. She went through OCS by The Undiscovered Country to be the Communications Officer on the Excelsior. Every yeoman you see is an enlistedman with the sole exception of the yeoman in STVI.

To make it easy.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_enlisted_personnel

Roddenberry did have that vision of an all officer ship at the time of TNG, which was phased out after his death with a lot of the more overzealous ideas that he had at the start of that show. But historically enlisted personnel were well represented throughout the series.

Man, if I'm gonna get the job, I want an Assassin's Creed Brotherhood style minigame for deploying fleets.

I was aware of that series before and it is pretty sweet mindscrew that little comma.

I could of of swore he said crewman. Damn. I really gotta rewatch some of these movies. But the most pointed showing of the enlisted crew was Star Trek 6. Crewman dax and his feet was priceless.

Burke and Samnow who killed gowron were also crewmen, not officers. Plus during the battle scene when enterprise is hit, you see a bunch of people thrown out of bed. That's the enlisted berthing.

So yeah there were enlisted all throughout Star Trek.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    We need to look at the Fleet Admiral title just as the Dahar Master - an honorific and not the person in charge. According to Cryptic_Kestral, Quinn is the Commander of ESD and a member of Starfleet Command but NOT the Commander of Starfleet. She said she is saving that position for someone special.

Which now leads me to some fanciful speculation. Back in the Sixties there was a limited run British series called the Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan as the protagonist. The opening sequence dialog was always between McGoohan (Number Six) and the Number Two of the week (or someone filling in the voice). Two was the person on prem running the Village. Part of that dialog went like this...

Prisoner (Six): Who are you?
    Two: The new Number Two.
    Six: Who is Number One.
    Two: You are Number Six.
    But by the end of the Series we realize that with a different inflection on that last answer it takes on quite a different meaning.

Read that now as: You are, Number Six.
    That comma makes quite a bit of difference. Could we be that 'someone special'? Probably not but there is a whole lotta speculatin' going on in these Forums since the Announcement of Delta Rising. Why not one more?

I sincerely hope not. That is not an endgame advancement, that is a verifiable end of the game for the player. There is absolutely no justification for the Commander of Starfleet to be running missions. None whatsoever. I can buy an Admiral in wartime where there aren't a lot of Captains and the brass above her likes to hand out promotions still having a ship and running missions but I can't buy someone specifically in that position still playing. It's either an end of the character arc or a gamebreaker.

And since it only makes sense as an end of the character arc, we still need someone in charge during Vega, Second Wave, New Romulus, the Sphere...etc.. while your character works their way to it.

The someone special has to be a character from canon with a voice actor they reasonably think they can get but haven't been able to secure or schedule yet. Someone like Riker or Janeway.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I dont care about ranks or anything else till

we get the safety dance :)
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Chief of Staff: "Admiral Quinn, Captain Jones turned down the promotion to admiral."
    ADM Quinn: "It's not like him to turn down a promotion. He voraciously sought promotion up to Captain. Why did he turn it down?"
    Chief of Staff: "He said it had something to do with what Captain Kirk told Captain Picard...something about not taking a promotion and leaving the chair behind."
    ADM Quinn: "OK then well promote the next person in line."
    Chief of Staff: " Captain Ross is also turning down promotion to admiral. He's stating Kirk's words as well."
    ADM Quinn: "Good Gravy! We need new blood in the admiralty and no one wants to take the position."
    Chief of Staff: "What if we allow admirals to captain ships? We get our admirals and they get to fly around the galaxy doing stuff."
    ADM Quinn: "I love it...and it should free up the back nine on the Starfleet golf courses. Make it so."
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Chief of Staff: "Admiral Quinn, Captain Jones turned down the promotion to admiral."
    ADM Quinn: "It's not like him to turn down a promotion. He voraciously sought promotion up to Captain. Why did he turn it down?"
    Chief of Staff: "He said it had something to do with what Captain Kirk told Captain Picard...something about not taking a promotion and leaving the chair behind."
    Chief of Staff: " Captain Ross is also turning down promotion to admiral. He's stating Kirk's words as well."
    ADM Quinn: "Good Gravy! We need new blood in the admiralty and no one wants to take the position."
    Chief of Staff: "What if we allow admirals to captain ships? We get our admirals and they get to fly around the galaxy doing stuff."
    ADM Quinn: "I love it...and it should free up the back nine on the Starfleet golf courses. Make it so."

Laughing Priceless, totally priceless. I'd upvote if I could.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    I could of of swore he said crewman. Damn. I really gotta rewatch some of these movies. But the most pointed showing of the enlisted crew was Star Trek 6. Crewman dax and his feet was priceless.

Burke and Samnow who killed gowron were also crewmen, not officers. Plus during the battle scene when enterprise is hit, you see a bunch of people thrown out of bed. That's the enlisted berthing.

So yeah there were enlisted all throughout Star Trek.
    Gorkon, not Gowron. Gowron was nowhere near as competent or courageous as Gorkon. he just had the coolest crazy eyes in the whole damn universe.

The battle or in the beginning when Excelsior was hit? Nobody on either ship would've been in bed when the ship was at battle stations.

========================================

"Have you ever heard the Russian EPIC, of Cinderella? If shoe fits...wear it."

"Mr. Chehov..." (Spock points down)

The look on Valeris' face said it all. (I put it in a damn amphibian's locker :InternalValerisFacepalm)

Burke and Samnow were hilarious though, "What about that smell? You know, only top of the line models can even talk..."
    khan5000 wrote: »

Word.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Gorkon, not Gowron. Gowron was nowhere near as competent or courageous as Gorkon. he just had the coolest crazy eyes in the whole damn universe.

The battle or in the beginning when Excelsior was hit? Nobody on either ship would've been in bed when the ship was at battle stations.

========================================

"Have you ever heard the Russian EPIC, of Cinderella? If shoe fits...wear it."

"Mr. Chehov..." (Spock points down)

The look on Valeris' face said it all. (I put it in a damn amphibian's locker :InternalValerisFacepalm)

Burke and Samnow were hilarious though, "What about that smell? You know, only top of the line models can even talk..."

Word.

Sonofa...I meant Gorkon, but for some reason I said Gowron. But valeris' face was priceless.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A year later...

Chief of Staff: "Uh, sir...about that Admiral promotion/captaining ship program idea I brought up..."
    ADM Quinn: "Yes?"
    Chief of Staff: "Seems it worked a little too well. Everyone took advantage of the thing. Starfleet is awash in Admirals. Admirals here, Admirals there, Admirals everywhere you look.... Admiral is the new 'Captain' around the Federation - and I heard the Klingons are in the same boat"
    ADM Quinn: "So? We needed more top officers."
    Chief of Staff: "We did? Oh...excuse me, sir. Of course we did."
    ADM Quinn: "Do you have a point? This doesn't really affect anything in the least"
    Chief of Staff: "I'm afraid it does, sir. The Council just voted to increase the program's latitude. They are making everyone Fleet Admirals...you're going to be out of a job, sir."
    ADM Quinn: "G** DA*N IT!"

ADM Quinn: "Will any of them be parking in my parking spot?"
    Chief of Staff: "Um no sir"
    ADM Quinn: "Will any of them be clogging the Fleet Admiral bathroom?"
    Chief of Staff: "No sir"
    ADM Quinn: " So it's a win win for the Q-meister. Cancel all my appointments. I'm playing golf on the moon."
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sonofa...I meant Gorkon, but for some reason I said Gowron. But valeris' face was priceless.

It was kind of adorable, because it made her look like a screwup rookie, which is very un-Vulcan. She was so excited about finding the boot and then....
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Chief of Staff: I suppose you're right, sir. They'll still be collecting Epohhs and running errands that Ensigns would feel insulted doing."
    ADM Quiinn: "You're g*d da*n right. Lose my job...hmph! It's not like they are actually in charge of anything more than their ship and crew."
    Chief of Staff: "Which the rank of Captain worked perfectly well for..."
    ADM Quinn: "What did you say?"
    Chief of Staff: "Nothing, sir"
    ADM Quinn: "Well, make sure you keep those mission assignments going to all our new 'Fleet Admirals' to keep them busy. Wouldn't want them thinking too much out there in the field how they should have their own starbase as a center of operations and dozens of ships under their direct command with that new rank. T'nae would box my ears - she's got a starbase and an entire theater of operations under her command and she's only a lowly four pip admiral... Hell, they might even think of approaching the Council for my job!"
    Chief of Staff: "I don't think they'll have to... I'm sure the next promotion for them will be 'President of the Federation'...and they'll be telling you what to do"
    ADM Quinn: " WHAT!?"
    Chief of Staff: "Nothing, sir"

Marrek(my toon): "Admiral Quinn, is it true you're going to try and promote me to Fleet Admiral?"
    Quinn: "Why yes VADM, we are promoting everybody for your outstanding accomplishments!"
    Marrek: -Takes off VADM Pips and tosses them at Quinn's head: "Sit on it and rotate sir"
    Quinn: -face darkens with fury- "HOW DARE YOU?! I'll have your rank for this!"
    Marrek: "Sure thing boss, you can always demote me back to Captain, but I think you'd need both hands, and a hyper chart to figure out which reg to use to bust me down slick."
    Quinn: "GAH! You're lucky I still need you steel! As of this moment you have an official reprimand for disrespect to a superior officer and are here by reduced in rank to Captain! Now get out of my office before I have you dragged out by Security!"
    Marrek: -pops out some captain pips and slaps them on- "hello old friend, nice to see you again." -turns to Quinn- "thanks boss, only way to get you to put me back to captain, well orders for my ship, looks like I'm off to the delta quadrant! 5 year mission and all that, bye boss! thanks for captain and an extended mission!" -walks out before Quinn can say a word then beam to ship and high tails it out of ESD to the Delta quadrant through transwarp-
    Quinn: "Serves him...." -Hears the new Captain Steele as he leaves- "oh that dirty son of a...he tricked me! I should promote him! But I can't! He's no recommended for promotion for atleast 2 years because of this! DAMN YOU STEELE!!!!"
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Marrek(my toon): "Admiral Quinn, is it true you're going to try and promote me to Fleet Admiral?"
    Quinn: "Why yes VADM, we are promoting everybody for your outstanding accomplishments!"
    Marrek: -Takes off VADM Pips and tosses them at Quinn's head: "Sit on it and rotate sir"
    Quinn: -face darkens with fury- "HOW DARE YOU?! I'll have your rank for this!"
    Marrek: "Sure thing boss, you can always demote me back to Captain, but I think you'd need both hands, and a hyper chart to figure out which reg to use to bust me down slick."
    Quinn: "GAH! You're lucky I still need you steel! As of this moment you have an official reprimand for disrespect to a superior officer and are here by reduced in rank to Captain! Now get out of my office before I have you dragged out by Security!"
    Marrek: -pops out some captain pips and slaps them on- "hello old friend, nice to see you again." -turns to Quinn- "thanks boss, only way to get you to put me back to captain, well orders for my ship, looks like I'm off to the delta quadrant! 5 year mission and all that, bye boss! thanks for captain and an extended mission!" -walks out before Quinn can say a word then beam to ship and high tails it out of ESD to the Delta quadrant through transwarp-
    Quinn: "Serves him...." -Hears the new Captain Steele as he leaves- "oh that dirty son of a...he tricked me! I should promote him! But I can't! He's no recommended for promotion for atleast 2 years because of this! DAMN YOU STEELE!!!!"

lol

But everyone in the Delta Quadrant is still going to call you Fleet Admiral. :P

Seriously, we really need to have the <Rank> tag in dialogs replaced with the <Title> tag. :)
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lol

Seriously, we really need to have the <Rank> tag in dialogs replaced with the <Title> tag. :)

Indeed.

Nothing is more immersion breaking than attempting to play as a Captain, only to be called Admiral.

I wish Cryptic would make this a priority. If they insist on pushing us up to Commander of Starfleet for their ranking system, at least let us control how we are addressed, rather than with a completely canon-breaking rank.

Like a Fleet Admiral would ever step out from behind their desk at Starfleet Command! :confused:

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1-9 Ensign
    10-19 LTJG
    20-29 LT
    30-39 LTCMDR
    40-49 CMDR
    50-59 CPT
    60+ Fleet CPT
  • Options
    foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've been meaning to bring up fleet captain, which according to Memory Alpha, has only been used canonically a few times: Garth of Izar, the hero of Axanar who went mad; and Christopher Pike, Kirk's predecessor as commanding officer of the Enterprise.

I'd thought there'd been some reference to Jean-Luc Picard being a fleet captain, but I can't find any substantiation of that; it may have been something non-canonical I ran across. But, I'd long imagined that he'd been a "fleet captain". I imagined it to be a role, and possibly a rank associated with that role, in which a captain with significant seniority had some additional responsibilities for supervision and administration of the fleet, but not so many as to preclude their primary role as commanding officer of a starship. By contrast, I'd imagined an admiral's responsibilities did preclude serving as commanding officer of a starship.

My impression was that Picard generally had seniority over other captains, but not quite as much as an admiral. And this squared with the element in the movies that Kirk regretted becoming an admiral and kept scheming to take command of a starship -- with the strong implication that an admiral could only temporarily take direct command of a ship.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    foolishowl wrote: »
    Someone mentioned above that Will Rider turned down his own command more than once, which seems like the flip side of the problem we've been discussing.

I thought it was an interesting aspect of his character that Riker was by nature ambitious, but willingly deferred the chance to have his own command, because he realized there was much he could learn from Picard. However, IIRC, there was one episode in which he wrestles with an offer of a command, and it's specifically mentioned that Starfleet had a shortage of experienced officers following the catastrophe of the Battle of Wolf 359. In that circumstance, it seemed outright irresponsible of Riker to forego the promotion.

I always interpreted it that Riker, as a military history aficionado, was hovering around Picard almost like a vulture, waiting for command of the Enterprise. It wasn't that he didn't want command. It was that he wanted that ship and that he was waiting for his chance at that ship because he more than anyone else probably had an appreciation for Kirk, Pike, and Archer.

I always felt like that arc was interesting but a bit underdeveloped. It would have been interesting in Nemesis if we'd actually seen some of that brought to a head or elaborated on.

This is one reason why I've always said I could see Riker working in some unorthodox ways in STO.

Maybe a Riker ECH (married to Minuet?) could briefly take command of the Enterprise-F and relish that he finally got his command with a dry note of irony. Something to the effect of, "Finally! I get to command the Enterprise. I've spent decades wanting this. It's a shame that I'm not really myself. I'm sure the original me would be green with envy."

Or maybe Riker could have a more symbolic "command of the Enterprise" by becoming the admiral in charge of the Enterprise's fleet group or Starfleet as a whole.

The interesting (for me) possibility is that he could become the Federation President. I think this would echo Sheridan from Babylon 5 but then most of STO does. It's been a long time since the Federation had a human president but we seem to be in an era of nostalgia in STO and an era when military leaders have assumed political roles. We've seen a negative future (All Good Things) where Riker lost Troi and buried himself in the military role. But in this timeline, he's spent decades married to a counselor/diplomat which could have sculpted him as a better fit for the role.

He seemed uniquely suited to dealing with Klingons. He was an exchange officer who earned their respect. He kept things playfully adversarial but I think we've seen that this is how you get a Klingon's respect because it plays with the rivalry their culture wants to have. If you go to a Klingon and say, "I want peace", most will see you as weak. If you dare them to do the right thing and stick your neck out, you win their respect. Picard could do this some but he was stuffier and I think his rhetoric probably worked against him.

If you want to solidify the Klingon alliance, Riker is a good pick as a political leader. You don't want a bureaucrat as your leader in times like STO's setting.

And it plays with the arc of him "commanding the Enterprise" because it presents us with a Riker who gave up the dream of commanding the ship to move on with his life with Deanna... and who subsequently gets to command the Enterprise in a broader sense by being Commander-in-Chief of the Federation. Classic story motif. Give up on the small dream and inherit the larger reward.
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lol

Yeah! Then everyone would call me "Moist"!
  • Options
    alridgerunneralridgerunner Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can't take away something that someone has already earned. I have a major problem with anyone that advocates taking away rank and titles players already have. So, we're stuck with a bunch of Flag Officers.

I too think "rank" should have been disassociated with Level. But, that fight is over. The question now is how do we get them to tweak it to allow for these choices?
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can't take away something that someone has already earned. I have a major problem with anyone that advocates taking away rank and titles players already have. So, we're stuck with a bunch of Flag Officers.

I too think "rank" should have been disassociated with Level. But, that fight is over. The question now is how do we get them to tweak it to allow for these choices?

It's not "take away" it's called retcon :) like they do on the shows.

once in game reality is adjusted for everyone... it's the way it's always been as far as the game is concerned...

They really should retcon the ranks and disassociate it with levels.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    "Moist" isn't a Rank. The general idea is that the player can select a rank to be referred to as, and those ranks do not include unlocked accolade titles.

Yup. This ^^

There are a few others like 'Ambassador' that are at least proper forms of address, but generally it's just ranks that (most) people are interested in.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, according to IRL with the navy ranks, Fleet Admiral is the highest achivement you can get before you start to become the master of the universe, or President outside of USA (Yes I said that).

So I think Cryptics need to do an overhaul of the ranks, IF the cap will be even higher in the future.

Ha! There is a position called "Leading Seaman". Tell 100 jokes on that one under 5 minutes. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    More than a month has passed since the last entry. Technically, this is a necro.

So you are all Kobali now.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP