Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Risa Summer Event

Comments

• Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014

What would make next year even better:

-Adjusting the race mechanic so that you don't have to pick up a flag.
    -More events (water balloons have been suggested, open to other things). Something to do with the detailed pathways around the island would be good. Perhaps a "ferry" or something to the classic beach, and a simple event there (that lower level characters can participate in)?
    -More than one event running at the same time. The races would often get crowded, it would be good to get a choice of WHICH event you wanted to run (ie Hunt twice and hour, dancing twice and hour, etc).
    -Being able to trade excess pearls for favors would be nice too.

All in all - I had alot of fun with the Summer Event. It's a shame that Risa isn't open with something to do year round. :)

So you basically are proposing personal wishes. You dont say anything about the stupid expensive prices of everything, or the dumb rewards of almost all the events, or a lot of game breaking things.. etc. I wonder if you people will be really comfortable playing in a desert with nothing more to do than playing with the sand... of course you will have a lot of "fun".
    The Risa event was not fun at all. It was just a waste of time for most people. Other, enjoyed it, because they dont have anything else to do, but normal people will only think about the Risa event as a map to waste time with no rewards of any kind at all. The only thing you can do there is to look at the stars at night and look at the sun at day. Making any "event" there is a waste of time, with the exception of gathering the pearls for your ship. More than that.. pfff. lol. You people have fun even just playing with a rock.. .xD.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You dont say anything about the stupid expensive prices of everything, or the dumb rewards of almost all the events, or a lot of game breaking things.. etc..
    Personal opinions are like ... a certain part of the anatomy. Everyone has one. You've made the ... aroma ... of yours quite clear.

If you don't like the summer event, here's a thought.

Don't participate.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Personal opinions are like ... a certain part of the anatomy. Everyone has one. You've made the ... aroma ... of yours quite clear.

If you don't like the summer event, here's a thought.

Don't participate.

This is not a PERSONAL opinion. It is a common opinion from a lot of users. Because it is common sense. And because thats the main reason this year the Risa event is a total fail. If you dont think so, probably you are an alien.. xD. Oh wait dont tell me, yo wasted dozens of hours every day grinding on Risa, like a total noob, and now you want to "justify" the stupid rewards you got, well, that makes sense.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is not a PERSONAL opinion. It is a common opinion from a lot of users. Because it is common sense. And because thats the main reason this year the Risa event is a total fail. If you dont think so, probably you are an alien.. xD.

Actually, I have most people tell me how much fun they are having on Risa and that they like what they are getting. SO I don't agree that this is a "common" opinion. More your opinion and those people that you associate with.

Which is fine, you can have an opinion, but you don't need to denigrate anyone that doesn't share your opinion. And you have crossed that particular line.

I live in a desert, and I have a lot more to do that just "play with sand". And I am having fun on Risa. And I think the ship reward is great. And I do a lot more than just hang out on Risa.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    loukocloukoc Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Every opinion is personal, no matter the number of people stating it, it's why it's an opinion and not a fact.

That out of the way, the event was fun, unfortunately I overgrinded and forgot to have enough fun. Had I focused on just one toon, I'd have had a lot more fun. Still a good event, even if the VOs were a little annoying.

Then again, Q didn't love "all of the little creatures, even you", so I will let it slide.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is not a PERSONAL opinion. It is a common opinion from a lot of users. Because it is common sense. And because thats the main reason this year the Risa event is a total fail. If you dont think so, probably you are an alien.. xD. Oh wait dont tell me, yo wasted dozens of hours every day grinding on Risa, like a total noob, and now you want to "justify" the stupid rewards you got, well, that makes sense.
    Oh, I see...so his opinions are personal and yours are common because you say they are.

Nope, sorry. Both sides are anecdotal.

At least he's not trying to represent his opinions as being anyone's but his own. You would do well to take the same tack, and write your criticisms up in a less rage-driven and more constructive manner if you expect them to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So you basically are proposing personal wishes. You dont say anything about the stupid expensive prices of everything, or the dumb rewards of almost all the events, or a lot of game breaking things.. etc. I wonder if you people will be really comfortable playing in a desert with nothing more to do than playing with the sand... of course you will have a lot of "fun".
    The Risa event was not fun at all. It was just a waste of time for most people. Other, enjoyed it, because they dont have anything else to do, but normal people will only think about the Risa event as a map to waste time with no rewards of any kind at all. The only thing you can do there is to look at the stars at night and look at the sun at day. Making any "event" there is a waste of time, with the exception of gathering the pearls for your ship. More than that.. pfff. lol. You people have fun even just playing with a rock.. .xD.

Dude, that's the whole point of providing MY feedback. It's how I found the event, I stated what I liked, what I didn't like, and some small things that I thought could have been improved. No one on the forums can claim to represent the whole playerbase, there are so many people playing.

I personally found the rewards for the event satisfying. Swimsuit prices could be adjusted (as they are only useable on Risa, but I bought one set of swim trunks for my main and that was that, it wasn't that crazy of a grind). I got 2 ships on three characters. I plan to actually use the Corvette on my main, and the Cruiser on my Ferengi. The two piece set is pretty cool.

I got 3 rare and 3 very rare doffs with good traits - and some interesting abilities.

Do I need to justify the rewards? No. I had fun getting the accolades for the Vistas, I mostly had fun with the race against other players. I found the grind to get the Pearls WAY more fun than the Anniversary grind. Did I spend hundreds of hours there? No, I'd pop in and out depending on what I wanted to do when logged in. Alot of Risa grind was done BETWEEN doing other things.

I had FUN doing it. Yes, it was a grind. Yes, while on Risa, I wasn't running ISE for the bazillionth time to get dilithium or marks, or equipment to "optimize" my ship. But I had fun. I know many others who did as well. I consider myself "normal", I tend to enjoy most aspects of the game's content. Maybe I'm not "normal".

You seem to have not liked it. So that should be your feedback. Preferably, with advice on what would make it better for you. I did not encounter any game-breaking things in the Risa event itself. The only one that could potentially qualify is grabbing the flag at the end of the race, which I pointed out, and several of the NPCs saying something happened twice and hour (carry-over from last year), which I didn't bother. Are there game-breaking bugs elsewhere in the game? Sure, I'm with you 100% on that one (graphics problems since S9, loadout issues, etc), but this isn't the thread for that. I am open to the possibility that others have experienced game-breaking bugs on Risa, bugs are weird that way. Again, good to provide feedback about those bugs.

All of these special events are optional anyway, the queues were still hopping along as well (or poorly) as normal, so if the summer event wasn't your cup of tea, there was still lots to do off Risa. The day I find I'm "out of things to do", I will be gone. But, I'm almost a year in, and it hasn't happened yet, and that's only Fed-side. I'm only starting to dabble in KDF (and seeing potential for having fun in Ker'rat for a change), and haven't even touched a Romulan character.

I don't represent the "majority" of the player base. Without evidence, I'd say no one on here represents the "majority" of the player base. I represent MYSELF, and present my opinion.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Betazoids are naked for their weddings.

Bah. Thanks for bringing up repressed memories of Troi's mother.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    Bah. Thanks for bringing up repressed memories of Troi's mother.
    Here's another one for you: a hologram of Kira with Quark's face. Remember that one? :D
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Every common person will think that the prices of everything at risa were ridiculous. More than ridiculous. And thats the common thinking of every reasonable player that spent just a few minutes on the Risa event. You cant wear swmisuits out of Risa, you cant use hoverboards or floaters out of Risa, still you need to GRIND for just one single of em to realize that you will be not able to gather more than 2 or 3 unless you waste your precious time grinding here and there every day for several hours. This is not my opinion, its again common sense, something that most of you dont have, apparently. I will not deny that if things were different, i will probably saying the opposite, but the facts are the facts. I always loved the Risa map, i love what the devs did with that planet, but the event itself.. full of fails everywhere. Sorry but it is a fact like a temple. The winter event was soooooo different, relaxed, with toons of useful items to grind for (yes it was a grind as well, but at least they were USEFUL items, usable everywhere, for example). The prices were far lower than this Risa event, huge difference, the ships were far better than the ones available in the Risa event. Everything was better, with the exception of the map itself. But i prefer to play in a not so pretty map if the events are worthy and the rewards are too, than playing in a beautiful map, that is what it is, just a pretty map. Nothing more.
  • Options
    loukocloukoc Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Prices were high, that's a fact.

But people wanted this stuff, so it doesn't matter. You didn't want the items, you didn't grind for them. You wanted them, you grinded for them. People had fun grinding, people didn't have fun grinding. People think the event was fail, people think the event was win.

To each their own.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    but normal people will only think about the Risa event as a map to waste time with no rewards of any kind at all.

And speaking as someone who spends most of any Elder Scrolls or GTA game wandering around looking at things, for no rewards of any kind, this sort of thing is fine with me.

Sometimes, and for some people, the experience itself is the reward.

No dilithium required.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    loukoc wrote: »
    Prices were high, that's a fact.

But people wanted this stuff, so it doesn't matter. You didn't want the items, you didn't grind for them. You wanted them, you grinded for them. People had fun grinding, people didn't have fun grinding. People think the event was fail, people think the event was win.

To each their own.

Only because people (specially new people) never realized that prices were so high.

Yes, i wanted a couple of swimsuits, a hoverboard (i was just curious), and maybe something else, the custome addons and thats it. There is no way im going to grind the entire event several hours a day to just get that. And im not even going to be able to use anything outside Risa. Its not about "i want it, i grind for it". I wanted that stuff, but i didnt grind for it, because it was ridiculous. And THAT is a FACT. The ammount of grind for just almost anything is ridiculous. It is not the classic phrase "if you want it, you need to grind for it", no, because the grind must be balanced, and the prices must be balanced. When these two things are messed up, there is no way an event can be considered fun, worthy or other words. Just a fail.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lots of great items. doff costs were too high. i had to give up trying to get those on all my chars cuz i couldn't stick out the grind after getting the other cool stuff. gg though, maybe i'll get them next year.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only because people (specially new people) never realized that prices were so high.

Yes, i wanted a couple of swimsuits, a hoverboard (i was just curious), and maybe something else, the custome addons and thats it. There is no way im going to grind the entire event several hours a day to just get that. And im not even going to be able to use anything outside Risa. Its not about "i want it, i grind for it". I wanted that stuff, but i didnt grind for it, because it was ridiculous. And THAT is a FACT. The ammount of grind for just almost anything is ridiculous. It is not the classic phrase "if you want it, you need to grind for it", no, because the grind must be balanced, and the prices must be balanced. When these two things are messed up, there is no way an event can be considered fun, worthy or other words. Just a fail.
    Due to real-life commitments, I was only able to participate in half the event, however, I was able to collect enough favors to buy hoverboards(mostly superior) for all of my characters, as well as several doffs, one of them a VR doff, I could get over 200 an hour, while ignoring the sandcastle and dance events.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Due to real-life commitments, I was only able to participate in half the event, however, I was able to collect enough favors to buy hoverboards(mostly superior) for all of my characters, as well as several doffs, one of them a VR doff, I could get over 200 an hour, while ignoring the sandcastle and dance events.

Just to get that, you needed to waste a "few" hours in Risa every day. That is a HUGE grind. More than any grind ive ever seen. The problem will be not so huge if the items were usable out of risa, but its not the case.
  • Options
    falco6381falco6381 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And now the store items for the Risa new swimsuits and powerboards are gone from the event store. So if you did not get your new powerboard or suit yet it is too late.

So now if one decides he wants a new swimsuit for his toon with some favors he still has, sorry you wasted your hours playing this event for nothing, wait to next year, Ha Ha....
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Where does one turn in their remaining monkies and birds for Marks?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited July 2014
    LOL, as i said an epic total fail. Not only the prices were ridiculous high, the rewards were terrible, not it turns out that after the event, they removed the swimsuits and all the stuff, so you cant even buy it anymore. They removed as well the monky and bird trader, hahaha, excellent job, cryptic, as always. :D, they dont even compensate us letting people to buy stuff after the event. Yeah, the summer event is awesome, thanks cryptic so much!!. :cool:

Why the winter event stuff is still available and the Risa stuff isnt?? ¿?x10
  • Options
    xxtakunixxxxtakunixx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The summer event worked just fine for me i got the items i wanted for the most part. I made lots of marks but now i have 4 monkeys and 3 birds in my inventory that i can't do anything with.
    In the past there was a vendor on drozana station that you could turn things in for a week or two where is it at this year devs. BTW people the swim suits are still available in the store.

On the noteor price the pricing was fine with me but i would have like to see a discount if you unlocked the item on 1 of you other characters like you did the ship but it didn't need to be as big a discount 1/2 price on doffs or other gear would have been nice if you unlocked it on another character.
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    LOL, as i said an epic total fail. Not only the prices were ridiculous high, the rewards were terrible, not it turns out that after the event, they removed the swimsuits and all the stuff, so you cant even buy it anymore. They removed as well the monky and bird trader, hahaha, excellent job, cryptic, as always. :D, they dont even compensate us letting people to buy stuff after the event. Yeah, the summer event is awesome, thanks cryptic so much!!. :cool:

I wonder where you have been looking... The only thing not available are the Doffs, as far as I can see...
    Where were you last year, if I may ask?
    The ornithologist left back then, too. So this was to be expected.

Besides, it's always interesting to see the expectations of people about the abiliteis of the devs...

"The game content we worked on for 4 years is played through by the players in less than a year. Even with 100 developers, we wouldn't be able to create content as fast as the gamers consume it." - Clint Worley, SOE

I think this nails it quite well.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wonder where you have been looking... The only thing not available are the Doffs, as far as I can see...
    Where were you last year, if I may ask?
    The ornithologist left back then, too. So this was to be expected.
    S9.5 came with a bug that removed all the new summer stuff from the event store, which was fixed that same night
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Besides, it's always interesting to see the expectations of people about the abilities of the devs...

"The game content we worked on for 4 years is played through by the players in less than a year. Even with 100 developers, we wouldn't be able to create content as fast as the gamers consume it." - Clint Worley, SOE

I think this nails it quite well.
    Average single-player games take between two to four years to develop. If "Star Trek: Online" was a single-player game, the developers would have more time to create expansion packs. Reputation systems and fleet holdings are good on small scale. Once developers repetitively implement the grinding mechanic, without balancing it with other mechanics, the players have a tendency to stop playing.

Excessive Grinding + Timegates = Game Stopper
  • Options
    bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Didn't really feel like a massive grind to me. Was a nice break from the regular grind. Grabbed a beer and listened to Marley while doing the events. Managed to get over 2000 marks on two different characters each, the superior boards (had the superior floaters from last year), and a couple swimsuits. Still have almost 1000 favors, and couple hundred pearls for next year. I am surprised we couldn't cash in monkeys and birds after, but I will just toss them into the bank for next year. I just had fun with it and took a break from the daily rep and dilith grind:)
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah! I had a fun time on Risa Summer 2014 and won my 2x Risa Ships for each toon. I wish I did raise up the birds a bit and now you can't do it as I am reading.. Got extra favors and pearls for next summer ready.

Thanks DEVs! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I had a lot of fun with the summer event. Thanks Devs. :D
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I didn't bother with much of the summer stuff other than the odd run to earn favors for some swimwear. Reading the complaints about the hoverboard race was being griefed with cover shields made me avoid it and avoid buying a hoverboard. The ship didn't look like it belonged in the Star Trek universe so I didn't bother with that as well. The grind for it also really was a big deterrent. It's the same old, same old every day in this game.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I didn't bother with much of the summer stuff other than the odd run to earn favors for some swimwear. Reading the complaints about the hoverboard race was being griefed with cover shields made me avoid it and avoid buying a hoverboard. The ship didn't look like it belonged in the Star Trek universe so I didn't bother with that as well. The grind for it also really was a big deterrent. It's the same old, same old every day in this game.

Agreed. Cruise Ship? Seriously? This was the biggest turn-off for me - to such a point I didn't want anything to do with it.

I did the Summer event long enough to fly a couple of times and get the corvette on each alt for 40 credits, that was it.

I was really looking forward to this event, had fun last year, but this year...meh.

Sorry, Cryptic, but lets get back to spaceships that look like spaceships, please.

Suggestions:

1. Have a custom bridge and interior...for a custom ship.
    2. Let players wear swimsuits in the Cruise ship. (As far as I understand, swimsuits can only be on Risa.)
    3. Make a ship that looks like something that belongs in space.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My feedback on the summer event?

I was on risa about 3-4 times during the entire event.

Boring, repetitive, uninspiring, ridiculous ship, crappy hover board race.

Where did all the imagination from last year go?

Not looking forward to next summer... or this winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    urniv821 wrote: »
    My feedback on the summer event?

I was on risa about 3-4 times during the entire event.

Boring, repetitive, uninspiring, ridiculous ship, crappy hover board race.

Where did all the imagination from last year go?

Not looking forward to next summer... or this winter.

Well, im pretty sure the winter event will be far better, it always has been. Anyways, im tired as well of grinding everywhere, when the winter event comes, if there is a worthy new ship i will grind for it, if not i will only grind for getting the frosted boots on all my toons, and that will be all.