What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official New Crafting System "Research and Development" Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In a recent dev blog, adjudicatorhawk mentions new modifiers that have a chance to appear on crafted items that are blue quality or better.

I don't think the [Over] modifier is a good idea. The resulting drain to weapon power may decrease your overall damage, unless the proc doesn't drain weapon power like a normal BO.

You might also want to rename the new [Amp] modifier for shields so that it is not confused with the [AMP] modifier for warp cores and singularity cores.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really wish the deflector modifier were [SciCdr] like on fleet deflectors that reduces the cooldown on ALL science abilities. It would be much better than one that does not count particle generator abilities, and we are missing Tachyon, Neutroino, Graviton, and Positron delfectors with that mod.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really wish the deflector modifier were [SciCdr] like on fleet deflectors that reduces the cooldown on ALL science abilities. It would be much better than one that does not count particle generator abilities, and we are missing Tachyon, Neutroino, Graviton, and Positron delfectors with that mod.

There are more mods than are listed in the blog - I just listed one for each item type. There is a CDR mod for Exotic Damage available on Deflectors as well.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There are more mods than are listed in the blog - I just listed one for each item type. There is a CDR mod for Exotic Damage available on Deflectors as well.

Think that's going to be an ongoing battle for you guys. With everything you guys post, it's like folks expect that it's coming this Thursday so that's it - that's all there is to it. This is something that's coming 3-4ish weeks or so, no? Means 2-3ish weeks until things start to get locked down in it - with room left for headstarts on bugs that might make it to Holo.

No, we're not likely to see a mod that has a 1% proc to have Pizza Hut deliver a large pepperoni to our door - but until we get to the point where you've said that's it, we shouldn't treat it as that's it.

BTW, uh...who's the Secondary Deflector guy so that we can bug them about those? ;)

Jeremy? Phil? Is it really you, but you don't want the flak? :D
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Pretty much out of all the stuff I saw on the blog only thing might be interesting is the trait on the projectile school, the wide angle DHC, and the rapid fire and beam overload stuff. The rest of it just seems to be filler for players who are just learning the game imo.

Overall though most of it just seems to be stuff I can do without except for a few things here and there that would just help with a few setups but not something I'd be interested in heavily investing into as far as productive feedback goes. I think part of the problem though and its not your fault its just been a trend since beginning of the game that the more content that is pushed into the game that favors the federation faction overall because they are the majority and when we do get content for KDF its not flexible enough to enjoy some new things like this and I doubt that this has been taken into consideration when designing it because its a minor player base issue to some degree(have yet to see any feedback when it comes to the issue of pi canis sorties since it was and pretty much would be the way we get our crafting supplies if at all).
  • Options
    edited July 2014

That's good to hear. I figured there were more mods out there, though it should be noted [SciCdr] is the superior mod due to being more universal. I actually would not like to see that mod added to crafting as much as I would like to see normal deflector types added to the fleet store.

One issue with the scope of exotic damage is that a lot of control abilities have damage on them. The spatial rifts in particular could use the cooldown reduction the most but both have damage on them, albeit Tykens is minimal. There aren't really any true damage abilities for science; it's all damage and something else.

The blog said the mods were restricted to blue and higher. Is there a mark restriction as well?
    Also, are these actually on Tribble? I haven't seen any of the new mods so far, so was wondering if they just aren't in yet, if I haven't met some requirement, or if I am just that unlucky.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Shields & Arrays
    Activating a Shield Heal gives the target 99% Shield DR for 1 second

Ground Shields included?
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited July 2014
    The blog said the mods were restricted to blue and higher. Is there a mark restriction as well?
    Also, are these actually on Tribble? I haven't seen any of the new mods so far, so was wondering if they just aren't in yet, if I haven't met some requirement, or if I am just that unlucky.

There's no mark restriction. They're not on Tribble yet, the space energy weapons ones will definitely be in this week's build, and possibly everything else as well but it depends when the build gets made.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
    There's no mark restriction. They're not on Tribble yet, the space energy weapons ones will definitely be in this week's build, and possibly everything else as well but it depends when the build gets made.
    I know this is not your area of Development, but do you happen to know on the ETA of the new Odyssey Uniform???
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    In a recent dev blog, adjudicatorhawk mentions new modifiers that have a chance to appear on crafted items that are blue quality or better.

I don't think the [Over] modifier is a good idea. The resulting drain to weapon power may decrease your overall damage, unless the proc doesn't drain weapon power like a normal BO.

You might also want to rename the new [Amp] modifier for shields so that it is not confused with the [AMP] modifier for warp cores and singularity cores.

Was wondering about power drain and [over] myself! though my opinion differs a bit. I think it needs to have the energy drain attached...otherwise it's quite OP and a " must have."
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Was wondering about power drain and [over] myself! though my opinion differs a bit. I think it needs to have the energy drain attached...otherwise it's quite OP and a " must have."

Without the ability to select the mods though - the probability of getting one you want with it is going to be pretty low.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014

Any sci mod/trait NOT having to do with sci cooldowns, damage, or healing? People complain left and right about some of the other less used like Tyken's Rift, and you do nothing. Heck, even the sci console you added is all about exotic damage and tankiness. Seems you're out of ideas for boosting science out of continuing the DPS/Healing/Tanking power creep going.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I would love it if the unique Sci console could also be made as a flow cap (or maybe grav gen and subspace decompiler as well; round out the offensive sci list), and on a non-cuiser, I feel as though even with the other bonuses the RCS bonus on the unique engineering console seems like it's taking up space, and I'd love more console choices there as well.
  • Options
    landshark535landshark535 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just my two cents, but I think the R&D system should provide a way to make existing weapons more useful. What I would like to see is the ability to upgrade items from the rep systems. I wouldn't mind having the ability to change/add modifiers to my Romulan plasma beams and I feel that it would increase their longevity as a useful weapon type.

If this has been suggested already +1 to the op.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014

So hawk, are you at some point going to address how there's a trait that boosts sci crit rate... and there aren't any sci powers that can critically hit because you guys took that functionality out of the game ages ago?
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any chance for the craftable Horta pet and the jem'hadar nanoenergy cells to be added back?
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, after some time of tinkering around with the new system, some more thoughts.

You call this "Research and Development". Athough I see some kind of "Development", I really miss the "Research" part.
    Collecting materials might be important to create new gear, but that's not what I'd call research.
    Finding some item and reverse engineer it would more likely feel like research. These could be special items that are not useable in any other way - you might trade them, if you aren't interested in crafting, but there's no slot for them on your ship/captain. Alien technology usually doesn't go well with our interfaces... Would probably also be an option for that stuff you sometimes get as a mission reward (these things you can't even sell to a vendor).
    The parts/schematics/data found in this process would transfer into new parts to craft and/or new modifiers for the finished object. Or even into some tradeable schematics for new crafting parts/modifiers.

Creating the objects at random doesn't feel right. If I put some common Duty Officers on that task, I'd surely expect some white - or with some luck green - result. But If I put purple Duty Officers on that task, I should expect a very rare result - or, if possible, even ultra rare. The officers' traits would be a possibilty to increase the chance for a better result, just like they do in the normal Duty Officer assignments.
    And if I assign some of my crew to build something for me, I usually have certain ideas of what I want, in terms of modifiers. I wouldn't spend this much of ressources to get something I don't need. Chances to get back the ressources in form of ECs seem very low, in my opinion. Except we don't get any more weapons/gear in the loot drops. And selling them to a vendor for about half the price it's tagged with... no way. It's hard enough to gather some ECs, anyway, to spend them like this.

That's all for now, as I'm running out of time.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    helmsmn2helmsmn2 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I spent some time playing around with the new system. I also looked through several pages of this thread and I realize that some of these things have been mentioned by others - by listing them I add my agreement.

You added a slider to mat conversion... THANK YOU!!!

Add a slider to component production and you'll really be on point.

I don't mind the UI (once the bugs are worked out of it, it will be even better) but I agree with others that it does take more screen real estate than necessary. I also agree that changing the list order of crafted components from alphabetical to required level THEN alphabetical would be an improvement.

My general commentary follows: You began this change with specific goals. You intended to implement a crafting system that players will enjoy and use. You must understand why players craft to accomplish this goal. I've crafted in other games for many years using crafting systems that I felt were decent. I chose to do it for two reasons: 1) I made things I couldn't get any other way, or 2) I made things I needed that were cheaper to craft than buy from others. Those reasons made the grind to max out in crafting skills worth it.

This system must allow players to make items with an opportunity cost that outweighs fleet/rep gear or the grind isn't worth it. Dil cost + random reward = under-utilized crafting system. Remove the dil cost and retain the random reward OR keep the dil cost at lower rate and remove the random element. That would go a long way to make the system more attractive to players. I personally will never invest 20k dil in a random item.

I know there are further revisions forthcoming, so please take the time to revisit your goals and ask yourselves if the direction you're heading will achieve those objectives when the final version goes live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Cleverly disguised as myself - Helmsmn2
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Will we be able to craft weapon types and combinations currently not available elsewhere in-game with this system? I wouldn't mind seeing ground and space plasma-phasers added.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    mal00mal00 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just my 2 cents, having played around with the system a bit I think the modifiers could be affected by the catalyst used or have a option to put optional components up to 3/4(e.g.targeting computer/sensor to give acc) and the system then will pick randomly from those components for the modifiers depending on the rarity of the item. You can even have added crafting time for each component added to account for the R&D having to incorporate the components into the design eg each additional component increases the crafting time by 10%.

The items crafted doesn't show what level the item is on the icon.

I also noted that I don't get anything for having maxed out the old R&D system maybe I can get a box with exp points boost or catalyst to help speed up the R&D process.
  • Options
    lanceandragon#1584 lanceandragon Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My little suggestion is for recipes for the mass construction of white, green and blue components. maybe 10 or so of each quality at a bit of a discounted cost but takes a few hours to do and give a respectable amount of school exp. Basically something thing you can set to do when you get get on every so often.
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited July 2014
    I'm still missing the crafting options of combining items together to make a new one while taking the specific bonuses from the source items.
    Example, starship shield system
    take visual from shield 1, take type (regen, covariant etc) from second shield, take capacity from a matching shield of the same type and so one.
  • Options
    kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just my two cents, but I think the R&D system should provide a way to make existing weapons more useful. . I feel that it would increase their longevity as a useful weapon type..

Honestly, I think this idea should be followed by the Devs, but limited to upgrading WHITE weapons, using the Base weapon as a resource (phaser, disuptor, plasma, polaron, tetryon, antiproton). This would allow customization of a second 2.5% Damage type, and/or crits.

A good example would be making polarized phasers from base ones. If there is a concern about the source of the unique weapons (lockboxes, etc), limit the choices to types obtained from missions, which can only be obtained with a max of L11 anyway. Making L12 versions by crafting would be a natural extension which would not adversely affect existing dynamics.

Another example might be seen as an extension of the rep system. While we have the Experimental proton weapon, it would be nice to create multiple weapon types with the 2.5% proton damage crit, rather than be locked into a single choice for this crit. Limit access to this by a task in the rep system, so you need to complete that task at perhaps Tier 5 to craft those weapons. Another choice could be the radiation 2.5% Crit.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why do the reward traits for completing the school give combat buffs? They should give buff to crafting, like 5% higher chance to crit on crafting items in that school. We dont need more combat stat buffs. Stop the power creep already.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014

Any way we could get a full list of new mods? The new items finally make it worthwhile to swap out some parts of my ship, and more info would be very useful and appreciated.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Why do the reward traits for completing the school give combat buffs? They should give buff to crafting, like 5% higher chance to crit on crafting items in that school. We dont need more combat stat buffs. Stop the power creep already.

Traits aren't really power creep - they're lateral power movement. That's why they give traits - you can get all your space or ground traits you want from another system. Or you can get them from Crafting. Whatever you want.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So those 360 phasers...any chance we'll be able to get them in Andorian/bio-molecular flavor, for aesthetics?
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just saw on Massively...all crafting levels previously gained, are reverted back to 0. Geez, thanks a lot.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.