test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official New Crafting System "Research and Development" Feedback Thread

Comments

• shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can we please have it so catalysts and finish now button are the only things that cost Dilithium?

Or maybe only charge Dilithium on the parts needed to make mk xi and above?

Maybe I should double check but the dil-costing Very Rare parts only show up on the Mark XI and Mark XII gear the last time I looked.
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maybe I should double check but the dil-costing Very Rare parts only show up on the Mark XI and Mark XII gear the last time I looked.

MK XI items require 1 5k component.
    MK XII items require 1 5K and 1 15K component
    Unique items cost 2 5K components and 1 15 K component

MK X and below don't require any dilithium components.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can we please have it so catalysts and finish now button are the only things that cost Dilithium?

Or maybe only charge Dilithium on the parts needed to make mk xi and above?

Am I correct in assuming this is a request for either/or, as in:

Catalysts and finish now button are the only things that cost Dilithium
    -or-
    Only charge Dilithium on the parts needed to make mk xi and above

...but not both of those costs like we have now?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Glad to hear that. Thank you for posting.
  • tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I did not know parts only cost Dilithium for Mk XI and up. I'm glad it is not like the old system.

Also, it might be interesting to have the catalyst and "finish now" be the only Dilithium charge. I would be willing to deal with a very crappy chance to make high level gear without spending dilithium. It would still consume a great deal of resources to make the attempt. I think they could adjust the chances and make this work.

As it stands right now, at high rank, you could spend dilithium and still end up with a common, uncommon mk xi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
  • signumpaxsignumpax Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would suggest to make a new R&D task called:

Material processing and manufacturing training:

It will take 20h but give a lot of R&D XP and need some material

something like that would make level up the schools a bit more user friendly, and u will not have so much useless gear.
    Sure also a befit for players not online so often.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I did not know parts only cost Dilithium for Mk XI and up. I'm glad it is not like the old system.

Also, it might be interesting to have the catalyst and "finish now" be the only Dilithium charge. I would be willing to deal with a very crappy chance to make high level gear without spending dilithium. It would still consume a great deal of resources to make the attempt. I think they could adjust the chances and make this work.

As it stands right now, at high rank, you could spend dilithium and still end up with a common, uncommon mk xi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
    Given what is shown in screenshots by another (rather thorough) Tribble tester...
    ...it appears that a max level (Rank 20/2,070,000 XP) crafter making a Random Covariant Shield Array Mk XII with a Rare Shield Distribution Officer only has a 10% chance of Very Rare and a 24% chance of Rare... meaning at max level using a Rare doff you still have about a 2 in 3 shot at getting something lower quality than the doff making it.

The upside is that the special items you can make within the crafting system are limited to Very Rare and Ultra Rare outcomes, on success and critical success respectively. It's a long path getting to the point where you can make those special items, but they are rather nice; personally I'm not sure the system is an improvement, but the potential outcomes certainly are. Based on current exponential xp requirements and a flat 600 xp per hour... we'll see.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I must say. I don't actually have that big an issue with the time required to craft, but maybe I am used to it as an EvE player where equipment can take anywhere from minutes to days to build.

What I take issue with is spending that investment and not getting what I want and need out of it.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I must say. I don't actually have that big an issue with the time required to craft, but maybe I am used to it as an EvE player where equipment can take anywhere from minutes to days to build.

What I take issue with is spending that investment and not getting what I want and need out of it.

well I'm all for progression with levels to get to what you want. But like you said you aren't guaranteed a good return, ends up being nothing more then a slot machine. That could take upwards of a year to get what you exactly want and that's one Equip :/

I understand they want it to be commerce system and not a personal progression system but yet it still is. Traits, promise of a system to upgrade rep gear... The funny thing is they can exist in parallel and often do in other crafting systems. Lets just hope the prices aren't final and they offer some way of limiting the almost complete randomness of it.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Eve craft and STO craft have nothing in common except they both create items. In eve the progression is only linked to time (not even playing) and money. Otherwise, you can craft anything you want from the beginning, as long as you have the skill and the blueprint.
    As a pure pvper, I used to craft a small ship (a destroyer) for an extra money from time to time from the mats I accumulated. It was that easy.

In sto, you need to craft a lot, if only to progress in lvl. Which mean the time spent (hundreds of play hours) is pretty much lost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Eve craft and STO craft have nothing in common except they both create items. In eve the progression is only linked to time (not even playing) and money. Otherwise, you can craft anything you want from the beginning, as long as you have the skill and the blueprint.
    As a pure pvper, I used to craft a small ship (a destroyer) for an extra money from time to time from the mats I accumulated. It was that easy.

In sto, you need to craft a lot, if only to progress in lvl. Which mean the time spent (hundreds of play hours) is pretty much lost.

But here we're talking about 25000 hours to max Craffting. That's not counting the time it takes to collect the gigantic amounts of material needed and the dilithium & zen needed.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mattachine wrote: »
    But here we're talking about 25000 hours to max Craffting. That's not counting the time it takes to collect the gigantic amounts of material needed and the dilithium & zen needed.
    That's why eve and sto are not comparable, at least crafting wise.

Sto crafting lvling is simply put, insane. It's basically a fleet you have to grind solo. I know some people already do that, but they are very few.
    In the end, it's just a huge cash grab, with very pretty shinnies in the end, to attract the maximum of player, and milk them of dil and zen as much as they can.

If it stay that way, or close, I'll use all these dil and zen to trade keys for EC, and buy the crafted items instead. I'm pretty sure you could buy a bugship with all those wasted resources from lvling the craft. And probably more.

Or maybe build a "fleet" crafter, where the whole fleet is giving mats, in return for a common crafter. However, I don't see how to donate dil, sadly (contraband is limited). And the time is still an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    At the moment I don't know any one that uses crafting on the Holo. other then a few noobs and I don't think this system will change that. I am sure there will be people who test it out and see what they can get like any thing else that's new in the game. But if feels like busy work and a dilithium hole that could be used for better Rep gear or fleet gear for that matter.

Yes the Dev's have put a few things in the middle and I am sure a few things at the end of each school to make the unwise or the unknowing go after it full speed. But the Vet players most likely won't touch it. I am sure there will be those who try it but honestly I think you have wasted time and money on this revamp of crafting the way it sits now. As it was whne you started making everything cost dilith a lot of people stopped crafting. I could go to Memory alpha and there would be 1/2 the people there used to be.

I would have to agree with most people in this thread that its a fancy way to make a lot of vendor trash and only after a long drawn out process will you get something that's almost worth it and by that time you will have most likely brought out a set or a ship with something better which makes it pointless.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mattachine wrote: »

Or you can just buy the items you want from the Exchange for Energy Credits, since everything is Bind of Equip?

If anything I'm seeing Eve's system as being *more* restrictive since you need to put time into a crafting skill to even build things?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    EvE's system is much less restrictive, and the comparison with skills is misleading. In STO skills are only leveled by doing something, in the case of crafting, you craft and get skill. In EvE, skill is based in real time. You buy a skill, start it training, and you can walk away. So, yes a high end skill might take a month to train, but during that time, you can do whatever you want, in game or out. In STO, you want to level crafting, that's hours of time spent in game, crafting.

And its been a while, but I remember starting beginning crafting in EvE, ammo mostly, after waiting maybe half an hour. Between the two, I'd pick EvE's system.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • neotaraneotara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In the announcements they talked about reducing inventory clogging... But with only 100 in a stack it's taking up 2.5x the space for all full stacks! :mad: I also really don't like the UI look. The original was not only fine I love it; this new one looks too busy, and is an eye sore. :/ I's strongly suggest keeping the original Duty Officer UI for the original assignments.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Or you can just buy the items you want from the Exchange for Energy Credits, since everything is Bind of Equip?

If anything I'm seeing Eve's system as being *more* restrictive since you need to put time into a crafting skill to even build things?

Actually, it's faster to level a character in less then a week to 50, then just get fleet gear. Bypassing the whole crafting nonsense. I've created my last character in a week probably before this crafting change. It 6000 skill points from 50 then I will put on her ship all fleet gear.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Actually, it's faster to level a character in less then a week to 50, then just get fleet gear. Bypassing the whole crafting nonsense. I've created my last character in a week probably before this crafting change. It 6000 skill points from 50 then I will put on her ship all fleet gear.

Yeah, but then you don't get access to a bunch of [mods] that are only available through crafting or through buying from someone who crafted. I mean if you don't care about [Beam] or [Arc] and the rest then that's great. You can just use Fleet Gear or even the freebies from the Rep system.

In the announcements they talked about reducing inventory clogging... But with only 100 in a stack it's taking up 2.5x the space for all full stacks! I also really don't like the UI look. The original was not only fine I love it; this new one looks too busy, and is an eye sore. :/ I's strongly suggest keeping the original Duty Officer UI for the original assignments.
    Well we do get an entirely new inventory for crafting materials. I thought Cryptic said the stack limit on materials and components was 999 now? Either way you're still gaining a lot of space.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • akbaikakbaik Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Regarding my existing crafting skill. While it would be unreasonable to be a master of all, it would be nice to be a master of one. And even nicer to be able to pick it. Either way

Thank you for a great game!

Akbaik Praxu
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, but then you don't get access to a bunch of [mods] that are only available through crafting or through buying from someone who crafted. I mean if you don't care about [Beam] or [Arc] and the rest then that's great. You can just use Fleet Gear or even the freebies from the Rep system.

That's what I am doing. If I do get bored and decide to get [Arc] or [Beam] stuff I have more then enougth EC.I have a feeling the game will be filled up with so many rainbow [modifiers] builds that it will be easy to top STF's to get high end gear to sale off the exchange.

I actually played a Fleet STF and the people couldn't even get pass the first group of enemies. By the way, they added Undine to Fleet Alerts.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014

But if people buy it then it's not much of a crafting system, right? Sure someone have to craft it for it to be sold. But if one only shows up in the exchange once in a blue moon then would you call the new crafting system a win or fail?
  • cmdth0r#8402 cmdth0r Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New system sure looks better but,...
    only adds to the complexity of the manufacturing process, time required to spend on it widowt adding same amount of complexity to the nr or variations of items we are able to create with it ,... as it is to be implemented atm i c no real reason why any more ppl will go into it then have alwready in the old system.

my sugestion,... add a dizasamble option for alwready existing weps & consoles and have it linked to the crafting system so that it alows for the customosation of gear in all categories ....simply add a wey to customize the modifiers and procs that the manufactured wep can have.

for ex ,... i want to disasamble a harpeng torpedo and use that mod to manufacture a photon torpedo frame and add to it the mod that aplies harpeng radiation, by sacrificing a modifier like dmg ,now instead of a purple dmg x3 i have manufactured a purple photon torpedo dmg x2 that also aply harpeng radiation,...

,or disasamble a 'piercing tetrion beam array' one can get as episode reward and use that to manufacture a purple 'piercing antiproton beam array dmg x2' .

soo ,... manufacture fully functional item (frame or base item) like wep or deflector and then add the desired modifiers.

preaty sure 90% of the active players will jump at the chance to customize theyre ships loadout regardless of time required or costs involved.
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Are the unique Romulan weapons going to make it into crafting?

As detailed in this thread, I don't want to see the Piercing Beam Rifle, the Repeating Pistol, the Long Range Assault Mini-gun, and all their fellows to go the way of the dodo.

Even if there's no way to buy good ones from a vendor anymore, or get them in drops (which currently isn't possible but should be), I'll be satisfied if I can craft them.

Please give us some feedback on this.
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What I think is remaining that needs to be done at a minimum to make this a solid crafting system:

1 – The XP/Timer/Dilithium inputs need to be readjusted to move the extremes in closer to what reality could be.

2 – A way to “reverse” engineer loot items to obtain materials and perhaps “modifier circuits” (The analogue of modifier bits in many other games).

3 – Subcomponents need to be able to come out at different rarities based on your crafting skill+bonuses and those rarities convey a bonus that will afford more of a guaranteed item.

4 – Dilithium costs on subcomponents needs to be removed completely. There are already dilithium inputs for the system in the form of the “Buy it now” button, DOFF packs, and DOFF grinder for better DOFFs. These are already too many.

5 – We need to be able to nearly guarantee what we want to craft (given our crafting skill). If I want to craft a Green MK VI Beam array with [ACC], I should be able to do that.

6 – Recipes for items need to follow a consistent logical order, if a MK II Beam array requires W and X, a MK VI Beam Array should require W, X, Y, and Z.

7 – The UI needs to be reworked to manage the crafting flow better. There are already too many screens, too many clicks, too much scrolling. It all needs to be present on ONE pane. We get a drop down for the item, we get a drop down for what rarity we want (to try for), and we get a drop down for the MODs we want on the item. Then the system gives us what subcomponents we will need, we select X DOFFs that will craft those subcomponents and the system queues them up and cycles through them adding them to our R&D inventory as they finish (no clicking to collect the items). Once finished, we then select the DOFF we want to use to craft the item, we click the craft item button, the system then places the item in our inventory (no clicking to collect the item). We do not need a window to show us empty crafting slots, that just needs to be a number. We do not need a huge scrolling window of subcomponents, that should be taken care in the main crafting UI.

Bottom line is, if crafting is going to serve the purposes of:
    1 - Enhancing the economics and social interaction of the game
    2 - An alternative method of obtaining base gear for leveling
    3 - In essence, and end game activity

Then it,
    1 - Needs to complimentary not competitive with the other gear systems.
    2 - Needs to start at a lower level AND have the same progression as character leveling so there is not lag (why are there even crafting recipes for items lower than lvl 15 then?)
    3 - Has to provide some unique items that are highly needed (stacks of phaser charges for example).
  • portthosportthos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really like the crafting system in the game the only problem I have is the Dil cost and than still having to have the random outcome for items. Maybe have dil as a variable component and the more a crafter adds to the mix the less random and the more the crafter can choose the procs , buffs and other variables of the finished product.
    IE. . . As a crafter I only put in a {Required minimum of 500 Dil and have no choice just random outcome.
    But If I put in 5000 Dil I can choose up to 5 variable I have total control over up to an in game proc or buff cap for the intended tier items.

Does this sound feasible to other crafters?
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    First an apology if it has already been answered, but I do not recall seeing it answered already - so I'm going to ask.

Will there be a way to move large quantities of mats between characters easily?

Can the new mats go in the Fleet Bank? Will there be an option for a R&D Fleet Bank? R&D Account Bank?
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    First an apology if it has already been answered, but I do not recall seeing it answered already - so I'm going to ask.

Will there be a way to move large quantities of mats between characters easily?

Can the new mats go in the Fleet Bank? Will there be an option for a R&D Fleet Bank? R&D Account Bank?

They should be able to go in the Fleet Bank. It might not be working properly right now. They should be able to go in Bank, Account Bank, Fleet Bank, R+D Bag, and Overflow Bag. They're currently in a state of flux as we try to make that happen.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »
    Are the unique Romulan weapons going to make it into crafting?

As detailed in this thread, I don't want to see the Piercing Beam Rifle, the Repeating Pistol, the Long Range Assault Mini-gun, and all their fellows to go the way of the dodo.

Even if there's no way to buy good ones from a vendor anymore, or get them in drops (which currently isn't possible but should be), I'll be satisfied if I can craft them.

Please give us some feedback on this.

Maybe. They'd be cool to add, but they're weird weapons that never saw enough balancing or tuning - they were always meant to be "cool flavor" but they're not really congruent with most of the game's core gameplay. We're prioritizing making the core system work well and feel good/worthwhile/rewarding, then we can add extra item types.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They should be able to go in the Fleet Bank. It might not be working properly right now. They should be able to go in Bank, Account Bank, Fleet Bank, R+D Bag, and Overflow Bag. They're currently in a state of flux as we try to make that happen.

Thanks, Hawk...appreciate the answer. I know it came up during the conversion process question that I was using my Fleet Bank to store them ((that it wouldn't be automatic) so there wouldn't be an issue with the old mats going haywire); but I didn't know that for the most part it was a 1:2 conversion...that the 30k or so mats I've got there would end up being around 60k or so mats. Trying to make that work via mail...heh...yep, definitely thanks for the reply. :D
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maybe. They'd be cool to add, but they're weird weapons that never saw enough balancing or tuning - they were always meant to be "cool flavor" but they're not really congruent with most of the game's core gameplay. We're prioritizing making the core system work well and feel good/worthwhile/rewarding, then we can add extra item types.

If you're not going to add them to crafting, then you should at least add them back to the dilithium store. Other items, including certain hangars, are also missing. See the threads below.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1148761
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1155531

Also, someone mentioned that science abilities can no longer critically hit, making the new trait useless. Can you check if this is true?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png