Install Arc
Options

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    We'll have to see how desirable, and available, the crafted stuff is compared to what players are currently willing to spend Dilithium on.

Think so ?
    Craftable gear has unique procs that can only be found via the crafting system.

Ok ... so from their POV (and from those of long time players as well) -- this system will sail or sink on the count of how popular these new (or not new) Proc's are .

M'kaaaaay ... .

The Bad: Elite Queues are the only way to get the 'end game' materials. (What's the point of alternative playstyles if you have to play the same stuff for that alternative playstyle? Already have a suggestion in mind, but I'll leave it for tribble forums when it lands there.)

Yeah ... .
    From a newbie POV , who wants to craft better gear ... to be thrown into the 'sharks den' to get his materials is ... unkind at best .

Hey I know , we can make the 'Elite' content even more easy !
    Yeah ! :rolleyes:

... so much for alternative play style ... -- go back and play the very same content you would for the Rep system ... -- there's your 'alternative playstyle' right there ... .
    /emote : facepalm .
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I really don't get the balking at Dil being used to get crafted items in the new system.

That's because adding Dill to the old crafting system was the final nail in it's coffin .
    The nail before that was introducing Mk XII items into the game , but not into crafting .

Now they are ignoring the final nail and pretending it did not exist , while at the same time introducing Doffs into the system which will mean gambling to get blue & green crafted items (while you really want purple) .
    I hope you'll enjoy gambling with your Dill .

... and if I'm wrong ... and if their new crafting will not be based on some Doff Crit gambling system -- adjudicatorhawk is more then welcome to correct me ... .
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There were already freakin' Dil costs to crafting.

The costs have been removed for Mk X and below.
    The costs have massively been reduced for Mk XI items.
    Even Mk XII items are being added at costs massively less than Mk XI currently are.

How are folks not getting this?

Because nobody crafted after the dil costs were added. We just stopped. You can just get purple mark XII dual cannons from the exchange for around 30-200k ec a piece, and still be good for the pve content with them.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Does this mean the exploration accolades will be incompleteable because the missions are removed? Or do we get other missions? For I long time I did one daily exploration for 1440 dil.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Might as well have called the new materials glaaar, splurge and bink.

A gas can be a metal is particles. Elementary (pun not intended) chemistry.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It would be nice if we could add another modifier to our shields, deflectors, engines, cores and weapons by crafting. That would increase the importance of crafting dramatically.
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    More bank space? Im in!
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hey, this is actually sounding pretty good. Particularly the bit where we don't have to keep crafting materials in our normal inventory anymore. I'm curious what these unique procs crafted gear will have are going to be, if they'll actually be worth it to me or not.
  • Options
    hodhedhelhodhedhel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Please make the Cluster Doff missions reachable from our BRIDGE when our ship is parked close to the new cluster marker (like Hromi Cluster is today)

We NEED to be able to access our ACCOUNT BANK at the same time as we are selecting/starting doff missions!

DON'T make it a 'press F to interact' as in the Dyson Undine Battle Zone!
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am amused to see some who think the dil costs quoted (which, I agree, are subject to change) are more expensive than the current dil costs. What next, you gonna start arguing black is white?

Also: choosable mods? That alone gets the Fonz from me.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I settle for Mk XI with the mods I want over paying the prices for Mk XII with the mods I want. The difference in price can be extreme...and since Mk XI to Mk XII is only 10% damage strength, meaning that I might be losing anywhere from 4.5 to 17.4 damage before weapon power, 11.25 to 43.5 at 125 weapon power, and then work in various buffs from there...well, it's nowhere near the value, imho, to justify some of the prices folks charge.

It's along the lines of why I'd never buy VR Mk XII consoles - the cost for that +1.9% was ridiculous.

It gets into the...I can spend X to get one item or I can spend X to get 3-4 items. Unless I'm in the DPS channels or doing premade PvP; I know what I'm going with...

Nah I go for one of two options.

1) El Cheapo green Mk X+ unless better isn't significantly more expensive. Green Mk XII [Acc] weapons are better than most Purple Mk XI weapons anyway.
    2) Fleet/Rep Mk XII. Especially with the loot boxes one of my few joys is opening them hoping to replace one of my weapons from the hour long reputation projects on my alts. So far though RNG hates me but I still get good dil value for my marks that way.

But other people be crazy, they were buying those mk xii tactical consoles for silly amounts. But I can't complain they helped make me tons of EC so yeah.
  • Options
    ahilles7ahilles7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Will we manage to craft ACCx3 weapons with new crafting system?
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    from how it sounds so far, i'd be probably more interested to use this system if it was possible to recraft/upgrade existing items.

for example, let's say if i put my fleet mk xii beam array and with some dil and materials, i could get a fleet mk xiii beam array with some additional modifiers out of that, or if i could combine two regular weapons of equal mark and quality with materials and dil into things like ultra violet/mk +1 romulan plasma, protonic polaron and similar combined weapon types.

but then again, we have to wait and see what will be craftable first. if it'll be unique things such as combined modifier weapons, lobi store-like consumables, special consoles and sets, or just an alternate way to get stuff that drops from enemies.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dilithium costs are too much for something that looks like its going to be a toy and dead or over farmed in three months. Unless these new unique mods will let you do crazy things, like let you build a broadside torp boat (eight torps, no waiting) or build a warp core that lets you jump to any sector in the game, the items will be flashes in the pan and not worth crafting after that. Now, if these items let me craft something that people will be willing to buy at around 3 million EC a pop, then its worth it.

Actually though the number one problem with crafting in this game is that you craft everything x number of times for y number of characters, and then you really don't need to craft it again unless there is a new character. After all, if everyone has the new hotness, no one needs to buy any more because nothing is ever worn out or destroyed in this game. And why should I waste dilithium building more stuff that no one is going to use unless they make a new alt?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.

Meh, what a downer. Should updates not add/improve stuff instead of remove big chunks of the game?
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Okay, here's the deal adjudicatorhawk. You guys should have the data on how much exactly that we actually buy dilithium store items. This number is so low because we can get items of similar performance if not the exact same items for a far, far less value in energy credits. Your proposed cost in the R&D system for crafted items is unfortunately still a bit more expensive than EC cost. Not only that, but we can get items of similar performance than any 'new' mk XII purple totally for free merely by playing existing content.

Add to the fact that we need dilithium for a lot of other stuff... we'll need to pick and choose what we use that 8,000 dilithium on, and if we can get items of similar performance so much easier, we're gonna spend our most valuable non-zen currency on more important stuff.

I hope that sums up the thoughts of a lot of other posters here.
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Hey I know , we can make the 'Elite' content even more easy !
    Yeah ! :rolleyes:
    Sarcasm is a great way to not want the STO team to read your post.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    szim wrote: »
    It would be nice if we could add another modifier to our shields, deflectors, engines, cores and weapons by crafting. That would increase the importance of crafting dramatically.

Agreed. If Crafting could be used to custom Mod our existing gear then it suddenly becomes the must have skill, dilithium be damned.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    britewolfbritewolf Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Quite frankly, there's no way the new system can be as bad as the old system. The items you can make in it are a hap-hazard hodgepodge at best; the list looks like a five year old threw darts at a list on the wall.

I would expect (if i weren't a pessimist) that all the old items (like Aegis) will all be available and they've announced alternate mod bonuses which give crafting a reason, but I'm hoping we can craft more at low-level.

Having thought this through as a byproduct of writing ttrpgs, I think crafting works best when the items are not level-bound but match the users level and the number of mod-bonuses increases with Crafting Tier. This kind of level-less or universal item means crafting is far more useful to low-level characters yet, with the unique bonuses, retains usefulness at high levels too.

As for everyone whingeing about the possibility of losing existing crafting level, I have two comments:

1 - Cryptic haven't said anything about this so don't go jumping the gun.

2 - It took me less than a week of gameplay to max out the current crafting system, noting I was only logging in for two or three days a week when I started due to internet access issues. You're hardly losing the 'effort' and hard work you put into getting there if they do scrap those levels, so quit whining.

All in all, it looks really promising so far and I don't think we (as a player base) have been let down by Cryptic with the other changes they've been making, so fingers crossed.

P.S. Whilst allowing the Empire and Republic access to Memory Alpha, I hardly think it's worth the effort to get there.

#Klingons4Equality
    General T'Reirr Asei
    Captain of the venerable I.K.S. Y'Kun.
    Warrior of the Empire; Savior of Cookies; Lord of String; Devious Little S*!7
    #PlomeekSoupForTheIndifferent #AmNotFluffy #Klingons4Equality #PriorityOneRocks #ShortButPouncey

#MaybeALittleFluffy
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I suspect their solution to getting more dil into the system will be 1) more "events" like the CCE and Mirror events with a 50k ore payout, and 2) more pain in the butt, refine-500-more contacts like the one at the mine.

As for how often people shop at the dil store, don't ignore the other dil store- the fleet equipment vendor. Cryptic considers fleet credits to be 1:1 with dil and all that stuff costs dil, as well, and people definitely buy it. And the reputation stores, which are just a dil store with different merchandise, and rep equipment projects that cost 9k-34k each. It's all a "dil store" to Cryptic.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well I must say I am very happy with these news.
    Less space for materials is allways welcome, and the new click clusters will make my doffing experience much better, since there will be less maps to load.
    And also if this will make the mass farmers with 30-40 toons and multiple accounts less happy, the better. I suspect some even sell ECs on sites, since after this blog just saw an increase in mail spams. Probably a bit of panic there lol.
    If this is Cryptic intention, than a big Thank You. Finanlly some steps are taken into the right direction to deter exploiting the doff system. Keep it up :)

As about the exploration, it wasnt even used much anymore, since the accolade hunters allready got all of them, and the new players arent much interested with that with all the new stuff...
    And we should wait till more news of Expansion 2, I too think there will be some more exploration content added then.
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    britewolf wrote: »
    As for everyone whingeing about the possibility of losing existing crafting level, I have two comments:

1 - Cryptic haven't said anything about this [...]
    They have said it:
    You will have to start over, but we're working on a reward that honors your commitment to the previous system. You'll get a bit of a leg up on others who are starting fresh.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I disagree with that assertion. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay 5k Dil for a piece of Mk XI gear on an alt you're gearing up or for a new build you wanted to try out? That's pretty easily earned by playing content in the game.

I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.

Since I still don't know the full details of the crafting system, I'll just respond to this one point here.

No, of course I wouldn't spend 5k dil on MK XI stuff. I wouldn't spend any dil at all on an alt I'm gearing up. Why would I? I can get a whole bunch of nice things from mission replays. You guys added in the Solanae set which is now my basic "starter gear" for end game stuff. You added in purple MK XI AP beam arrays from the revamped Fluidic Space missions. Everything else I can just pick up on the cheap from the exchange. EC is far easier to get and isn't time gated like dil, so I'll never waste dil on an alt's starter gear. Ground gear is even easier and cheaper to get.

Also since most of the gear is account bound, I keep a small stash of it on my bank characters so I can just pull from there as I need. When I gear up with rep/fleet stuff I just toss it back in the bank for the next alt to use.

Obviously not every player does this, but I can imagine that many older vets do something similar as well. My point is that using dil for MK XI gear is silly and I don't see that one specific aspect of the crafting system being used at all.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We’re also adding a new section to your inventory to store these new Materials and other crafting-related items

So, my bank toon that's been full of 'useless' crafting mats for the last 3.5 years is finally gonna pay off? Packratting FTW! :D
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    First off, I'd like to point out that if STO really, really wants to keep going down this road of "dil costs everywhere", then it absolutely needs to implement earning of Dil, everywhere.

Not just STFs. Not just certain DOff missions. Not just the content that the Devs feel should be a dil earning location instead of a mark earner or an XP earner, or a massive pile from a special event...

If Dil is to become practically the new EC, then it needs to be earned as often as EC. And that means everywhere.

Run a mission, get dil. Hang on Risa or WW for favors/trinkets/etc? Watch the Dil flow in at the same time. Basically, make it so that if you are actively engaged in gaming, anywhere on STO, for that 3-4 hour window the Metrics so desperately wish us to be on for, then we should have our 8k refining cap at the end of the session.

I mean, EC is effectively reduced to nothing but an exchange currency, and it's getting to be so "worthless" they're like rubles - takes a million to buy something that's worth a buck. Dil on the other hand, keeps showing up as a necessary currency, however, maybe 25% of the game pays out dil. Not quite fair, if you ask me...

Oh, leave the events / piles / end of mission rewards / etc., in. This way, the fleet refiner and veteran refiner (from gold/LTS) suddenly become "useful and necessary", not just a place for the rare gamer who does nothing but farm Dil...

This-this-this!!!

I want to craft, but I do not have the luxury of time nor the inclination to go chasing after dilithium in lieu of playing the content I want to play using a character of my choosing. The dilithium I do get mostly goes into our fleet. For example, all my limited time right now is devoted to Risa and I am not earning a lot of dilithium.

I do understand the need to balance against zen-dilithium exchanges so Cryptic continues to make money. But dilithium should be trickling in constantly.

5k dilithium for an item, okay. 20k? Better be as good as the Fleet/Rep gear and even then I won't be crafting a lot of it.

You want us actively using the crafting system. The first time anybody decides to ignore it, they probably aren't going back. Dilithium costs, while understandable, will act as a discouragement as will adding too much extra grind and user complexity to the system.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok, Cryptic, so you feel like you really must "alter" the crafting system...?

I guess some of the elements could use some refinement. And I'm relieved to hear that you will allow us to convert our old materials. But what I really want to know is if I can make better stuff than we could before?

For instance: will we be able to make Mk XII gear? Will we be able to discover how to make gear with special properties? (Like some type of "Polarized Phaser" for example) I mean Will It Be Worth Our Time to Actually Craft gear that we can use at End Game? Or will it be the same old system "warmed over" so that you can capitalize on it?

I mean I understand that you need to "make money" on the game. But you'll be far more successful if you give us a system where we can make gear we really want. And if you don't then you'll just alienate customers who feel like you're just being greedy.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Each piece of the Aegis set is 18 Uncommon and 15 Common. That's 54 Uncommon and 45 Common.

1 Uncommon = 1000 Dil.
    1 Common = 10 Dil.

So to craft the Aegis 3pc set would require 54450 Dil...as well as the Schematics, Data Samples, and Particle Traces.

I got my Aegis sets before the dil costs kicked in. My later alts don't have them. Wouldn't even consider it.

That should tell people something about the effects of adding (unreasonable) costs to crafting.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    On the subject of Unreplicatable materials, they're going to have to go through a conversion as well into the new system. Wonder what they're going to be replaced with.

Good point. I have a bit of that stuff left over myself.

Will it become as useless as a Delta Flyer schematic?
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    First off, I'd like to point out that if STO really, really wants to keep going down this road of "dil costs everywhere", then it absolutely needs to implement earning of Dil, everywhere.

Not just STFs. Not just certain DOff missions. Not just the content that the Devs feel should be a dil earning location instead of a mark earner or an XP earner, or a massive pile from a special event...

If Dil is to become practically the new EC, then it needs to be earned as often as EC. And that means everywhere.

Run a mission, get dil. Hang on Risa or WW for favors/trinkets/etc? Watch the Dil flow in at the same time. Basically, make it so that if you are actively engaged in gaming, anywhere on STO, for that 3-4 hour window the Metrics so desperately wish us to be on for, then we should have our 8k refining cap at the end of the session.

I mean, EC is effectively reduced to nothing but an exchange currency, and it's getting to be so "worthless" they're like rubles - takes a million to buy something that's worth a buck. Dil on the other hand, keeps showing up as a necessary currency, however, maybe 25% of the game pays out dil. Not quite fair, if you ask me...

Oh, leave the events / piles / end of mission rewards / etc., in. This way, the fleet refiner and veteran refiner (from gold/LTS) suddenly become "useful and necessary", not just a place for the rare gamer who does nothing but farm Dil...
    Quoted due to its practicality.

I agree. Since dilithium is now a heavy resource requirement, possibly surpassing energy credits, the availability of the currency has to be widespread and abundant.

I think less than 25% of the game gives out dilithium. I am thinking around 5-10%.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Correct me if I've missed it, but...

I don't recall Hawk or any other Dev saying that crafting will let you choose your own mods?

I mean, that would be awesome and might (probably) create enough demand to make the dil costs worthwhile. But that particular detail has escaped me...

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that crafting isn't going to dramatically change away from the current "storefront" model. ie. a list of gear and the materials required to craft/buy them. Meaning you choose nothing except which materials to spend on which 'recipe' and little or no feeling of building something special.

I was hoping for something that felt like a modular approach with mix and match combinations. Like the new kit frames. Please tell me this is more than just a facelift.
  • Options
    alanburchalanburch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for all of the great information regarding crafting materials and some of the initial thoughts about dilithium costs. But now --

How long do we have to wait to get more information on the Mk XII Purple and Violet gear stats? Just how awesome will this gear be to justify the cost everyone is concerned about?

Cheers...
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A few questions:

1. Are there any plans to replace the XP, dil, and mat node loss that will come with removing star cluster missions? Details?

2. Removing star cluster missions will also remove first contact missions. Are there any plans to re-add those somewhere else? Or is the diplomacy going to truly become defunct (when was the last time you voted on DS9?)?
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock