What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is there going to be anything remotely appealing about 9.5 or is this update just going to be the crafting revamp?

I appreciate you guys are working on the crafting system but to be honest, I'm not a big crafter. This system you are proposing (even in it's early stage) doesn't change that, in fact as it is on tribble, I'll avoid it like the plague.

Once again, anything else on target for 9.5 or should I just wait it out until E2?
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    can we trade those in for dilithium since it looks like they are not used anymore in this new system?
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In our three-part blog, System Designer Jeff “AdjudicatorHawk” Hamilton shares more information about the new schools captains can take part in with crafting update coming soon! Read more details about how the schools function in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
  • Options
    denshibushidenshibushi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am wondering what this new system means for the alien artifacts and creating consoles from them?
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Chances, chances, chances... Dilithium store and generic loot table turned into grindy gambling.

As long as you insist on adding a dilithium cost to crafting RANDOM items the whole system is essentially worthless.
    Geko stated in the recent episode of Priority One that crafting specific items with modifiers will come in the future, just not with 9.5.
    walshicus wrote: »
    Didn't we already know everything in that? Bit of a pointless blog!
    Not everyone follows the Tribble patch notes, or the dev tracker. Some people don't even follow these dev blogs, you'd be surprised at how little of the STO playerbase actually uses these forums.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    New things frighten and confuse me, therefore they must be bad.

Seriously, though. I like what I'm hearing so far in regards to crafting.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am wondering what this new system means for the alien artifacts and creating consoles from them?

They'll remain as-is in the Duty Officer system. It's a bit more arcane to make a console that way, but more fun for players who prefer the Duty Officer system over a Crafting system.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They'll remain as-is in the Duty Officer system. It's a bit more arcane to make a console that way, but more fun for players who prefer the Duty Officer system over a Crafting system.

Empowering the Alien Device is going to have to change since the particle traces are going away ... after that I suppose it could remain the same. Slightly more random than the crafting system currently in testing, but not by much.

How's the feedback slog going, by the way? We're dying to hear from you over there.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    And if the tech is in the works, then why won't they just postpone the release of S9,5 till it's all finished and ready?
    Oh yeah, because they've got their arbitrary deadlines and tend to release unfinished content just to have something to market and monetize.

D'Angelo said a good while ago, think it was the Season 8.5 launch, that to do the crafting system properly would take a few seasons to fully get sorted out. That was back then so it is hardly a surprise that this is the case.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Geko stated in the recent episode of Priority One that crafting specific items with modifiers will come in the future, just not with 9.5.

Not everyone follows the Tribble patch notes, or the dev tracker. Some people don't even follow these dev blogs, you'd be surprised at how little of the STO playerbase actually uses these forums.

Geko also stated:

- Secondary deflectors to all science ships

Tacofangs stated the addition of Club 47 sometime after Season 9. It's pretty clear, that that "sometime" is not Season 9.5. Maybe not even "Expansion 2".

Mr Stahl was notorious at promising all sorts of things, many of which never came to existence. Actions prove more to me than mere words. At this point, Geko, Taco and the rest of Cryptic could tell me, the "Sky is blue" and I'd still not believe it. The "new and improved" monetized crafting system, will see no usage from me. All my characters that I care about, are max level and decked out in Fleet gear. With the crafting system not being equal or greater to Fleet gear, there's simply no need for it in my situation. And the fact that they are purposely "nerfing" the only working system they have (Duty Officers), makes matter worse.

Add to that, the entire removal of the "Exploration Clusters", basically removes any semblance of calling this a Star Trek game. Wasn't Exploration one of it's primary draws, compared to the likes of oh I dunno, Star Wars etc?
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Since we've not even seen what exactly the catalysts will do, How to obtain them or what boosts to chance they give yet

Can you all stop blowing the gamble chance horn at this early stage of release, Its as if some people revel in spreading negative misinformation for the sake of it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 5,066 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If this is *ANYTHING* Like the Neverwinter crafting "Professions" I'm all-in. THAT is a great crafting system. The old STO crafting system (all the way back to launch) just plain... well, sucks. The Neverwinter Professions system is awesome.

Based on this blog post it appears the be a similar system (albeit different names and description, but mechanically the same). This is awesome news.
    In our three-part blog, System Designer Jeff “AdjudicatorHawk” Hamilton shares more information about the new schools captains can take part in with crafting update coming soon! Read more details about how the schools function in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
  • Options
    sthraxpwesthraxpwe Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If this is *ANYTHING* Like the Neverwinter crafting "Professions" I'm all-in. THAT is a great crafting system. The old STO crafting system (all the way back to launch) just plain... well, sucks. The Neverwinter Professions system is awesome.

Based on this blog post it appears the be a similar system (albeit different names and description, but mechanically the same). This is awesome news.

It would feel identical to Neverwinter's system if Neverwinter's system charged you Astral Diamonds to craft something and if you wanted to create a green +6 weapon, you might get anything from a white +6 up to a purple +6.
  • Options
    animusarcusanimusarcus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why no kits ?

Thx for reading.
    "Good" and "Evil" are purely subjective concepts, given credence only by the prevailing opinion of the masses
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Grind up the ability to have a "chance" for purple gear? Also this chance will cost Dilithium for each said gear. No thank you, I'll stick to rep gear that will "know" we get for our Dilithium.

Also, what will happen to the my characters that already have max crafting? I did the work, I paid for the resources and grinded for the materials. Will the new system reflect the work my characters did already? Also the gear crafted, I assume they will not be bound to the character just like the old system?
  • Options
    magneticmoosemagneticmoose Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was glad to hear in the interview yesterday about adding a slider to the old resource/new resource converter (still tired from that)

I personly like this new system.
  • Options
    damiendarkcastdamiendarkcast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am sorry if this question was asked already I skimmed over the post so far so I may have missed it. Question is what about us old heads that maxed out on the old system? Do we start the grid all over again?
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All this complaining about the monetization of a system in a f2p game is pointless. They have to make money. Period. You may now bury that dead horse. If you don't like the system then don't use it, and move on.

And those who are complaining about the removal of the clusters, and exploration, the supposed "core" of Star Trek, exploration was removed from Star Trek long before STO. Did anyone even watch DS9?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ravin wrote: »
    All this complaining about the monetization of a system in a f2p game is pointless. They have to make money. Period. You may now bury that dead horse. If you don't like the system then don't use it, and move on.

And those who are complaining about the removal of the clusters, and exploration, the supposed "core" of Star Trek, exploration was removed from Star Trek long before STO. Did anyone even watch DS9?

Did anyone even watch VOY? Or ENT? Or the previous 2 shows, TOS and TNG?

All 4 of which involved a great deal of exploration. Not just the place-to-place exploration of new star systems, and new species. But the exploration of the human condition. Of what it means to be Human. Of wanting to be Human.

The removal of the Star Clusters (which is obvious, since it was "easy and free access to crafting materials", and you can't have that in a monetized system), is the removal of a large part of what has been at the core of Star Trek since it's inception in 1966. Hell, even DS9 had a large part of exploration, even if it didn't involve new star systems as frequently as the other shows.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ravin wrote: »

I don't think most are debating the dilithium cost (there are a few) but rather the random chance of any quality gear AND the dilithium cost. The system should recognize that with dilithium cost, purple doff, and level appropriate school, etc that you should be nearly guaranteed a purple item maybe not the procs you want (procs are coming later) but at least the right quality.

I liked the clusters because it was something different from all the other grinds we do everyday not so much that they were great missions. These clusters were supposed to represent the fringes of unexplored space in the game and a place to explore even if it was somewhat repetitive at times. I think the bigger reason for them going away is anomaly farming which is why it has to go now before a replacement is ready. Why else would it be tied to the crafting update? They want players playing episodes and PvEs.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One thing I'm curious about...

I could be completely off base here, but with the current system, can't one character craft something and trade/sell it to anyone else? The items aren't bound until equipped, aren't they?

Am I going to be able to have one alt be a crafter and just dump all the resources on them to craft things for everyone else? Or am I going to have to have all my alts become crafters if it turns out there is something useful that they could use somewhere down the line with this new system?

If one alt can be a crafter for everyone else, I might be good with that. If it's a case of if an alt wants something, level them up or go without, then I'll likely pass.

I've looked around to see but with all the doom and gloom it's tough. If this has already been answered I apologize, I probably skimmed right over that kind of detail with all the long DOOOOOM! posts on the subject.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    I liked the clusters because it was something different from all the other grinds we do everyday not so much that they were great missions. These clusters were supposed to represent the fringes of unexplored space in the game and a place to explore even if it was somewhat repetitive at times. I think the bigger reason for them going away is anomaly farming which is why it has to go now before a replacement is ready. Why else would it be tied to the crafting update? They want players playing episodes and PvEs.

I consider clusters to be PvE. I only play them occasionally now, but it's nice once in a while. Good contrast to hack and slash all the time.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No information at all to those that currently have maxed out crafters both kdf and fed. I did that darn leveling progress when it first came out so I EXPECT that with the new sytem I get acknowledged for it...
    iamynaught wrote: »
    One thing I'm curious about...

I could be completely off base here, but with the current system, can't one character craft something and trade/sell it to anyone else? The items aren't bound until equipped, aren't they?

Am I going to be able to have one alt be a crafter and just dump all the resources on them to craft things for everyone else? Or am I going to have to have all my alts become crafters if it turns out there is something useful that they could use somewhere down the line with this new system?

If one alt can be a crafter for everyone else, I might be good with that. If it's a case of if an alt wants something, level them up or go without, then I'll likely pass.

I've looked around to see but with all the doom and gloom it's tough. If this has already been answered I apologize, I probably skimmed right over that kind of detail with all the long DOOOOOM! posts on the subject.

Far as I know the items are tradeable , and you could easily have a Crafting toon if you wanted

HOWEVER there is some talk about modifying your existing gear further down the line, this might be a problem as upgrading a bound item is probably going to require hefty crafting skill

(I'm fairly sure crafted Items are tradable at least, if anyone knows for sure that this is incorrect, correct me and i'll remove the offending misinformation)
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would be put greatly at ease if you guys would comment on whether or not I can still craft nanoenergy cells for my lobi dominion ground weapons...
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Far as I know the items are tradeable , and you could easily have a Crafting toon if you wanted

HOWEVER there is some talk about modifying your existing gear further down the line, this might be a problem as upgrading a bound item is probably going to require hefty crafting skill

(I'm fairly sure crafted Items are tradable at least, if anyone knows for sure that this is incorrect, correct me and i'll remove the offending misinformation)

Items are still Bound on Equip, so they're still tradable.
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    From what I've seen so far, it looks like it will be yet another grind to get to the highest levels of crafting for each category, just for the CHANCE to get a very rare Mk XII item, with random modifiers that could turn out to be nothing more than vendor trash.

If you're going to allow us to make Very Rare Mk XII items, then you should allow us to pick which modifiers we want too, as long as we get the the highest crafting level, of course. Otherwise, I'd be better off taking my chances with random loot and reputation rewards.

A revamp to crafting means that you have to make it unique, and worthwhile to those of us who already have some of the most powerful ships. New item modifiers (like Arc increases or anti-Borg damage), new appearances for crafted items, maybe even uniforms that can only be obtained through tracking down rare components. I've heard recently that there are new sets of MACO/Omega/HG armor (with new appearances for the tailor) that will only be available through crafting. GREAT! Now expand on that, more exclusive stuff! I want this to be worth our time.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I will wait to see it live and get a full look at it. Then see how it has potential and can benefit me. Since I don't play many hours per week. I have to really look at it, to see if I want to waste time and resources to use it. Specially with it requiring Dil as well. Since I rarely hit the Dil cap on my characters. This is will really have to be looked over before I commit to it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »

Yes, all crafted gear is tradeable.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jjdez wrote: »
    I have a feeling the exploration clusters are being removed because they are one of the easiest ways to grab a large amount of samples etc, and we can't have that with a new grind around the corner.

That's really not why. I've seen this conspiratorial thought creep up in just about every post on materials. They're removed because they drastically lower the quality of the game for new players who encounter them without knowing "Oh, those missions are 'special'" - and because they drastically increase the game's install size for new players, which prevents hundreds of players each month from even trying out the game in the first place.