test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One request to the Devs, Keep STO solo friendly

conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
The one advantage this game has over pretty much any MMO is, it allows soloers to get all the way to the top and get ALL of the end game rewards. While you can't technically solo all of the content, you can queue up and get what you need, and most people already know, that is pretty much effectively solo, minimal teamwork is actually required.

I see lots of people requesting what I consider "more of the same" type MMO content, hard group content and god forbid..."raid" content.

I'm not specifically against these type of content provided one thing is maintained, allow "soloers" a way to get the same rewards, just make it take more (but still reasonable) time.

If this game were to go down the path of pretty much all the rest, I would probably walk away.

(to those preparing to reflexively type "ehrmegerd Y U solo in MMO???", Soloers exist, and we like games too, live with it)
Post edited by conundrumnsa on

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    game been like this for 4 years dont think you have to worry.............:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    (to those preparing to reflexively type "ehrmegerd Y U solo in MMO???", Soloers exist, and we like games too, live with it)

1: That's why these things called "single-payer games" exist.

2: In case you hadn't noticed, the devs have pretty well kept this game "solo friendly" almost to extremes thus far, why this sudden panic that they're liable to do a 180?

3: See 1 and 2 again. And again. And again. Especially 2, but don't neglect 1.
  • hank41hank41 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Being able to SOLO pretty much the entire game and if and when needed to queue into a groups to do pve missions is the MAIN reason why I will never stop playing and supporting this game. When any MMO is forcing players to group, it really never makes it or has a small player base or changes to allow SOLO players there place in the game. I can't name all the MMO's that have failed or changed to make it more SOLO friendly.

Really who wants to group with Elitist or kids not me.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think we need both.

There has to be content that requires real team work, that is chalkanging, that actually needs the "high end" equip we farm for all the time.
    And this content should not be optionally doable for solo players.

But the game should have its fair share of solo content too. Sometimes I just enjoy playing alone.
    Personally I do foundry missions (and story missions in general) alone and dislike teaming up for those.

But an mmo should not be playable completely solo.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Playing an online game instead of a singleplayer RPG so that they can play solo.... sounds like a contradiction to me. :rolleyes:

This game needs more hard endgame group content with unique rewards.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2014

There are fewer and fewer interesting single player games IMO.
    Sure there are some FOTM games that take some hours to complete them, but long term motivation is rather rare.
    (especially RPGs)

I'm looking for interesting games myself, but if i find one that sounds interesting, it's a MMO or some other forced online Multiplayer thing. (very frustrating IMO)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited June 2014

this MMO dont stand for massively single player online stand for massively multiplayer online imo ppl want solo their is a game for you called Star Trek Bridge Commander
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014

2: In case you hadn't noticed, the devs have pretty well kept this game "solo friendly" almost to extremes thus far, why this sudden panic that they're liable to do a 180?

1) I see you couldn't fight the ehrmegerd reflex.

2) To post my preference is not "panic". There needs to be balance to those who want "more of the same".
    hank41 wrote: »
    Being able to SOLO pretty much the entire game and if and when needed to queue into a groups to do pve missions is the MAIN reason why I will never stop playing and supporting this game. When any MMO is forcing players to group, it really never makes it or has a small player base or changes to allow SOLO players there place in the game. I can't name all the MMO's that have failed or changed to make it more SOLO friendly.

Really who wants to group with Elitist or kids not me.

Exactly.
    I think we need both.

There has to be content that requires real team work, that is chalkanging, that actually needs the "high end" equip we farm for all the time.
    And this content should not be optionally doable for solo players.

But the game should have its fair share of solo content too. Sometimes I just enjoy playing alone.
    Personally I do foundry missions (and story missions in general) alone and dislike teaming up for those.

That never works...EVER. As soon as you demand forced group "hard" content, those that engage in it will demand it and only it give the best rewards. Once you've done that, you've now created a group of second class citizens. Once you get relegated to second class, your chance of leaving a game dramatically increases.

Also, there are litereally hundreds of MMOs that have the "more of the same" forced groups and raids. Can we at least have one that caters to the solo crowd?
    edited June 2014
    like to know how one gets to the top in this game because if you want the best you need to be in a fleet witch also mean you need fleets marks witch also means you need to group so again how does one get to the top?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would prefer "raid" type content. Instead of adding a new Rep, instead I would perfer that they added these "raid" 5 man missions.

You have to be tier 5 in that rep chain to unlock that mission, it is a mix of groud and space, super hard, about hour long mission with 300 marks (FM) as a choice with 1k refined dil (so u can get 13k per day) as an reward... 5 reps 5 missions centered around that rep chain, you make the gear we get from that rep chain recommended to use for those mission.

they should really start to building new content on top of the content they already have
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
    edited June 2014
    2) To post my preference is not "panic". There needs to be balance to those who want "more of the same".

And currently, to maintain a "balance," they would need to add more multiplayer-only content to balance against the game being near-totally "single-player with teaming capability."

Balance- you keep using that word- I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Single player games don't usually keep getting development and content. Some do get expansions, but that's it. These MMO do keep adding stuff. Moreover, there are a lot of benefits for a global market, meaning I can get more stuff for my character with stuff other people don't want or don't use and vice-versa. On a single player game if you are lucky they implement a "chest" thing so that your "knight who just found a unique wand can put it in the chest so your other sorcerer character can use it". Proportion of 1 to 1 while MMO the porportion is 1 to "infinite".
    And just because you play the majority of the game solo, that doesn't mean that every now and then you don't appreciate grouping with others and doing stuff. What I personally don't like s being forced (or nearly forced) to having to play that way.
    edited June 2014
    These MMO do keep adding stuff.

-lots of blablabla snipped-

And that second "M" stands for "Multi-Player" no matter what blather is applied.

/thread
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That never works...EVER. As soon as you demand forced group "hard" content, those that engage in it will demand it and only it give the best rewards. Once you've done that, you've now created a group of second class citizens. Once you get relegated to second class, your chance of leaving a game dramatically increases.

The problem is not the folks asking for improved rewards for more difficult content...it is the ludicrous entitlement of those that do not wish to do that but have the same rewards.

Yes, you could try to work around it - giving somebody the opportunity to spend an extreme amount of time with less effort to get a similar reward - but will that person be satisfied with that?

The problem is all the special snowflakes that feel they are being punished because they choose not to put any effort into it rather than seeing that the others are being rewarded because they chose to put in the effort.

"I demand that McDonald's stop serving tasty breakfast sandwiches. I just don't feel like heading over to McDonald's, and it's just not fair that some folks will head over there to get them. Each and every breakfast sandwich sold is like a cruel barbed whip against my tortured soul. If McDonald's were to deliver tasty breakfast sandwiches to me each morning, it would be one thing. But as long as I'm too lazy to go myself, I can't believe that McDonald's would go on serving them to people that make the trip over there. It's just not fair. It needs to stop!"

/facepalm

I prefer solo play in MMOs. I don't like most people. I don't quite hate most people, but I definitely don't like most people. I like solo play in MMOs because single-player games don't offer what MMOs do for the solo player. It's pretty nifty, imho.

But if there's something I choose not to do, that's on me. I'm not going to cry about needing the same thing without having put in some similar effort to get it. Oh, I'll complain about two things with similar effort not offering similar rewards...but if I'm doing one thing and somebody else is doing a Hell of lot more - they deserve to be rewarded for what they did. I'm not going to think that I'm being punished...that's a first-class ticket to a therapist kind of thinking going on right there.
  • hank41hank41 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    like to know how one gets to the top in this game because if you want the best you need to be in a fleet witch also mean you need fleets marks witch also means you need to group so again how does one get to the top?

You can join a fleet and never have to GROUP up as long as you help the fleet grow, I joined a nice t3 fleet in less than a month i have 156k FC and have been promoted to be able to buy from there fleet store. My other character is in a t5 fleet and the same goes there as long as you continue to support the fleet they don't care.

Yes they do have group missions but there not mandatory.
    edited June 2014
    And that second "M" stands for "Multi-Player" no matter what blather is applied.

/thread

Yes, there are multiple players online...doesn't mean they need to be playing anything specifically together - just they're all playing together in the same world.

/argument
    edited June 2014
    I prefer solo play in MMOs. I don't like most people. I don't quite hate most people, but I definitely don't like most people. I like solo play in MMOs because single-player games don't offer what MMOs do for the solo player. It's pretty nifty, imho.

Seconded, Thirded, and Fourthed.
    But if there's something I choose not to do, that's on me.

Dingdingdingding, we have a winner!

Yes, there are multiple players online...doesn't mean they need to be playing anything specifically together - just they're all playing together in the same world.

/argument

Exactly- point being, get off the "Maek teh gaem 4 teh solo plyerzz!" nonsense. Take what you can get out of how it is, and enjoy.
    edited June 2014

/thread

Thank you for proving my point on why I only engage with others few times.
    It's to avoid arrogance like yours :)
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for proving my point on why I only engage with others few times.
    It's to avoid arrogance like yours :)

Likewise, 100%.
    edited June 2014
    sto is not a MMO its a MSPO :) and ppl ask why ppl call this game a joke
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And just because you play the majority of the game solo, that doesn't mean that every now and then you don't appreciate grouping with others and doing stuff. What I personally don't like s being forced (or nearly forced) to having to play that way.

But is there really any extra effort involved with grouping in STO? Close the chat window and just play the PVE as you would any mission and, if you need to, just assume the other players are incredibly stupid AI's. Once you enter into the realm of PVP then having an ego becomes a much more noticeable part of gameplay, but for the vast majority of what you're "forced" into in STO that shouldn't be a problem.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd like the opportunity to queue for stfs as a solo. I've done ise and kase...havent tried cure since I got my season 9 outfit.

That said...i want "fleet actions," 20 people to get something done. I miss being a raid leader
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited June 2014
    But is there really any extra effort involved with grouping in STO? Close the chat window and just play the PVE as you would any mission and, if you need to, just assume the other players are incredibly stupid AI's. Once you enter into the realm of PVP then having an ego becomes a much more noticeable part of gameplay, but for what you're "forced" into in STO that shouldn't be a problem.

But that is precisely why I like STO. It allows an organic grouping.
    I was stating reasons why a MMO game is more appealing than a SP to me.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But is there really any extra effort involved with grouping in STO? Close the chat window and just play the PVE as you would any mission and, if you need to, just assume the other players are incredibly stupid AI's. Once you enter into the realm of PVP then having an ego becomes a much more noticeable part of gameplay, but for the vast majority of what you're "forced" into in STO that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh please, do NOT EVER close the chat window. This is cutting yourself off from the rest of your team, and in certain events, team communication is key.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh please, do NOT EVER close the chat window. This is cutting yourself off from the rest of your team, and in certain events, team communication is key.

No it isn't. Every critical piece of mission information can be picked up by simply being observant. Think for yourself and you'll never need to have someone else do it for you.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • blutark01blutark01 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    just give this game some "flow", content which is challenging with my current equipment, some kind of progression where the gear we farm serves a purpose.
  • blutark01blutark01 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It feels like Barbie online, ppl farming stuff to get the newest bikini, come on guys, thats a joke!
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »

I'm a solo player in a fleet. I donate my marks, dilithium and common doffs to the fleet projects, sometimes I chat on the fleetline but most of the time I play alone and the teamups I do do tend to be with whoever is hanging around the ground zone or in the STF. My toons still get promoted in the fleet because I contribute.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1) I see you couldn't fight the ehrmegerd reflex.

Exactly.

Also, there are litereally hundreds of MMOs that have the "more of the same" forced groups and raids. Can we at least have one that caters to the solo crowd?

Pretty much the entire game consists almost exclusively of activities that you have to do little or no teamwork in. There is no balance now, balance would be implementing more team content.
    edited June 2014
    blutark01 wrote: »
    It feels like Barbie online, ppl farming stuff to get the newest bikini, come on guys, thats a joke!

Star Trek: Barbie & Ken Edition...to boldly take fashion where no man has before!
This discussion has been closed.