test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swim Wear Seen Off Risa

Comments

• som3one1som3one1 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have to agree with those that find the limitation unnecessary. The immersion factor is a small issue in my opinion.

So if people want to run around in a bikini while shooting borg all i can say is more power to them, customization should be as unlimited as possible.
    If you are reading this you have stopped reading my post and are now reading my signature.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This may be an issue beyond immersion etc... but one of time gating and control of playerbase content on Risa, specifically Risa. There should not be any restrictions in wearing swim wear throughout the galaxy. It is illogical and dumb and takes away from the experience.

A) Cryptic attempt to gate or control Risian content, Question: Why the heck am I allow now to command and fly a Cruise Liner throughout sector space, and one that will be used in STFs etc... Limiting clothing use is just plain bad and akin to censorship.

B) Classic case of Nerd Logic in the part of Cryptic in regards to uniform restrictions of that caliber, crew members are known to wear swim suits etc.. on their off time - so if we play this logically, one should be able to wear swim gear everywhere.

Basically it is an issue with image, the image of the game, and the unfounded fear that this will not look like Star Trek abroad.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Never got PM'd about it...

Again folks posting in a thread for a mod to do something doesn't do squat. If we don't get PM'd or a report about it, assume we aren't going to see it as we have to sift through hundreds if not thousands of posts a day.

Thanks for the info. PM sent.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Im still trying to understand why we cant have swimsuits on our bridges and in the foundry? They are private maps and dont bother anyone else. :confused:

Maybe it was just easiest to restrict it to one map in terms of how it's been coded to implement it.

While I'm all for people having the choices, I have no issue with the restriction either.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Here, have some gorngonzolla with it! :rolleyes:
    fixed *cackles*
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Alright, Putting Canon Star Trek and the whole "Immersion" dilemma aside let's look at this from a realistic perspective.

Would you wear a swimsuit to work?

Do you ever see a Military General wearing nothing but a Speedo to work?

As much as I would love to see that, You wouldn't. Regardless of how people may justify it, people wearing Swimsuits in Earth Space Dock is beyond playable Undine ships and beyond wearing an out of date uniform. It is ridiculous; I hope the Devs fix this before I come back from my Exams I don't want to see Earth space dock turned into a luxury resort and it's hillarious how the same people who complained about the audacity of playable Undine ships are now trying to justify wearing a bathing suit as a uniform for a military organisation.

I completely agree. But we are adults. If someone wants to enjoy the star trek universe, he will not wear a swimsuit just because it looks sexier or cooler, specially when he is on a mission. He probably will use it only in social zones or when he is not on duty. And i am completely ok with that, more than ok, it will be great if we could do that.

Now, a "kid" that loves his new swimsuit and he wants people to look at him and he wants to feel admired and cool, that really dont care at all about star trek or a realistic environment, will wear the swimsuit always. But it will be his problem, and eventually he will realize that people dont care at all about him wearing a swimsuit. So he will stop using it. Im sure.

But since this is a free world, unfortunately a lot of those kids will be walking around everywhere. So, just for em we cant allow swimsuits to be able to wear wherever we want. For the spirit of star trek.. :cool:
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited June 2014
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited June 2014
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You know ive been watching this thread and have seen tons of opinions but most are silly here is my take on it. I (personally) want swimwear available everywhere to change things up a bit and for those naysayers who go on about indecency or some other stuff like that just read and think! you're on the holodeck enjoying a beach resort program when 3 borg drones punch the door in you ask the computer for a 14th century longsword and turn off the safety protocols and start hacking said borg in nothing but your bikini. actually sounds like a good foundry lol but thats my take on it
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As far as I've seen, no response or acknowledgement on this from the devs or mention of a fix? Hoping will see something for tomorrows patch notes.
  • som3one1som3one1 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm kinda hoping that they will pull the restriction completely rather than try and fix the bug. Sure its unlikely but still hoping :)
    If you are reading this you have stopped reading my post and are now reading my signature.
  • ch33soch33so Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    As one who's thought about this some, too, I have no problem with swimsuits, etc. in private settings. I'm also on board with expanding said wearability options to other areas (Drozana? I can be down with that). Actually, at some point I wouldn't mind seeing a near-universal "application" of these rules - ESD, First City Proper, other "duty" areas being uniform only, other areas like Risa, Drozana, Winter Wonderland, etc. be "off duty" only, and places like K7/Gandala, DS9, every "bar" etc. be "mixed" uniforms and off duty...

To make this work, Cryptic would be best served by leaving costume slot #1 locked to being uniform only, and lock costume slot #2 as "off duty". When one enters a "locked" map wearing a "blocked" uniform type, the designated mandatory uniform slot is displayed (so a guy who runs around in an off duty uniform hits up ESD, they get displayed in their slot 1 uniform. Hitting up Risa? Slot 2's "off duty" choice gets the nod, even if you're in a full battle uniform with kit pieces, armor, etc. Mandatory editing of these uniforms immediately after tutorial (so that they're in place even if you elect to tutorial-skip) would ensure no complaints about "but I don't have an on- or off-duty uniform"...

I like this idea. Instead of locking slot #1 or #2, lock by 'uniform' or 'off-duty'.
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited June 2014
    Seen females in Bikinis at DS9 and Colony Invasion as well. Please fix. That looks absurd.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ch33so wrote: »
    ...Instead of locking slot #1 or #2, lock by 'uniform' or 'off-duty'.
    No thank you. When STO first introduced "Off Duty" uniforms several years ago, they were locked into certain slots only (or at least there was one slot everyone had that could ONLY be used for Off Duty). Those were terrible times. There were many bugs (especially KDF-side) and confusion (especially if someone bought expansion uniform slots). A season or three ago (or perhaps it was the LoR expansion), they unlocked all slots for any costume type.

Life has been *MUCH* better since. I don't want to go back to the locked slots.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ch33so wrote: »
    I like this idea. Instead of locking slot #1 or #2, lock by 'uniform' or 'off-duty'.
    No thank you. When STO first introduced "Off Duty" uniforms several years ago, they were locked into certain slots only (or at least there was one slot everyone had that could ONLY be used for Off Duty). Those were terrible times. There were many bugs (especially KDF-side) and confusion (especially if someone bought expansion uniform slots). A season or three ago (or perhaps it was the LoR expansion), they unlocked all slots for any costume type.

Life has been *MUCH* better since. I don't want to go back to the locked slots.

:)

I thought slot #1 was already "locked down" to being "uniform" only. Slot 2, and slot 3 (the fleet freebie slot) are "open" slots in that you have the drop-down and go system there...

And yeah, back in late S5 when I first joined, the second and third slots were "free to wear", I'd usually slot an alternate uniform there because absolutely none of the "default" off duty wear suits my tastes...

However, if we're gonna go "all in" on a Duty/non-duty/choice zone system, then we'd have to take steps to ensure everyone has an "off duty" option, and the simplest way to do that would be to (re-)bind slot 2 as an "off duty" one... Because I'm not 100% sure the engine can notice that I put my off duty uniform in slot #7 of 9 total slots... Cause, like I said, certain zones (Drozana. Ferengi bar and otherwise unsavory place. Where we're looking for a spy. in uniform?. Drozana would be the first place where my XO better be telling me that my Starfleet Standard Issue = painting a bullseye on myself and I'd be best served beaming down in even a leisure suit...) And again, is the game gonna know that my only off-duty outfit is slot 7 as I try to beam in with one of my many standard uniforms?

Only reason I'm proposing slot 2 being "off duty only" again...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The post below seems to suggest that this is related to a bug that I'm seeing.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17431251&postcount=3

The costume type of my second slot changes from "Swimwear" to "Uniform". See my bug report below.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1141581
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    ...if we're gonna go "all in" on a Duty/non-duty/choice zone system, then we'd have to take steps to ensure everyone has an "off duty" option...
    To be clear, I am of the mind that no costume piece (be it "on duty" or "off duty") should be restricted anywhere, but we just can't have people wearing swimsuits on ESD. :rolleyes: So I begrudgingly understand Cryptic's restrictions. I suppose there must be places with some decorum, heh.

What I would hope is that some places (ie the "seedier" Drozana) might allow anything. However even those places I think Starfleet (KDF, Romulan, etc) On Duty Uniforms should be allowed.

I do not think there should be any place where Off Duty uniforms are enforced. There's no need for that or to lock character costume slots to one type or another.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I see no problem with bikinis worn everywhere... at least on KDF side. We're "barbarians" and all to the Feds anyway! :P
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Fun's over kiddies ... They are patching out this bug in Thurs 19th patch (supposedly)
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    Seen females in Bikinis at DS9 and Colony Invasion as well. Please fix. That looks absurd.

I saw a T Rex in STO. Please fix. That looks absurd.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
    edited June 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Fun's over kiddies ... They are patching out this bug in Thurs 19th patch (supposedly)
    the fun ain't over 'till the crappy server goes down!

i can still take a few more screens of my ferasans and gorn before it happens

maybe i'll grab a couple of them dancing for the chancellor...that ought to get those 'MY IMMERSION!!!!!' idiots' panties in a twist
    I saw Klingons playing in the sand. Please fix. That looks absurd.
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited June 2014
    Your bugfix failed. Still Swimsuits on DS9.
    edited June 2014

Definetly!
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Good to know ^^ i wonder if they will be able to fix it in time before the event ends.. :D
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic: Nice to know you guys are on top of Risian swimwear being worn outside Risa, when there have been longstanding KDF uniform issues, lack of KDF uniform options, etc.

No, really. Thanks :rolleyes:
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited June 2014
    actually, the fix was partially successful

much like prior tailor glitches, as long as you don't make a single change on anything in the glitched slot, it'll remain that way forever

new swimsuits made after today are bug-free, however - i did some experimenting earlier

#LegalizeAwoo

• notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Yes, for a simple reason. CBS. They probably vetoed the bikinis outside of Risa, since they were the reason for not having bikinis last year.
    And not respecting their decisions could lead to a license removal. And nobody want that. I don't know if they would remove the license for this reason, but I'm sure they will not like if Cryptic do as they pleased and deliberately leave a bug that go against their decision. And that would lead to less stuff we might do, because it's vetoed. They hold the power when it comes to canon.

While your "awful stuff" is not going to get the license removed, and the game will still be there in a year, even if it's not fixed. Now, sure I want bugs fixed and all that, but some of them are high priority, even if you don't see why.

what do you mean "nobody wants that" ?
    The license will only go to other company to make you a better star trek game where bugs are fixed and outfits bought are usable in game.Ofcourse star trek movies had skimpy outfits everywhere...in game thats against CBS lol