test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ker'rat...time to shut it down?

jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
You know I see why the Ker'rat space war zone was created. A big place for people to attack borg cubes and get loot as well as test builds/new toys. But, it seems anymore that the zone has outlived its purpose.

First, and most obviously the FED's and KDF's are no longer at war.....why are we pretending that they are? I just find it mind blowing.

Second, how am I supposed to get drops when someone that choose the KDF side runs up on me and uses Beam Overload 3 to deal an utterly too swift blow (60k+ hit) that instantly destroys my ship.

Third, and the most annoying thing in the zone is the bop ship...T'varo/B'rel (apparently only the KDF side chooses these ships) and there seems to be a growing number of them. All the people piloting those things do is launch transphasics and destabilized plasma torpedos along with use grav wells, viral matrix, scramble sensors/jam sensors and in the T'varo singulairty jump to decloak you when you try to just get away from there stupidty all the while never staying decloaked for more than 2 seconds. And just when you think you can get them and keep them uncloaked by putting a tractor beam or grav well on them there 25 km away from you in the blink of an eye. Whoever, made this ship seriously has a twisted sense of humor cause none of it I find funny at all. The ship's 'enhanced cloak' that allows for the above mentioned stupidity to happen needs to be taken out of the game.

And Last but not least.....seems anymore that the zone is a haven for a certain fleet on the KDF side to send in patrols to see how many are in the zone and how easily they can be defeated. Then the rest of the fleet rolls in and forms a huge ball of them and continually blows up all ships except borg till they all FED's leave, switch to another zone and do the same thing. Here's the golden kicker of it....why is this apparently the one map in all of STO that i can not switch zones. I have to find a friend in a diffferent zone, team them then switch....why can't I just switch without all the pomp and circumstance?

So why I ask you is this zone even relevant anymore? The only relevance I know of is for looting which is why I go. I have options like the new undine zone but frankly the yellow puddles annoy me and the ability they have to slip into undine space and be untargettable. Otherwise all the STF"s are the same thing over and over and the new ones are just awful too. Getting hit by a meteor and instapop?!?!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    there is one flaw in that I see... when was it ever relevant, it's a open world pvp/farm zone. it was never relevant.

also... how much of a noob are you? the cloaker thing is ancient news. the only reason there may be more is hey no longer suck.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You know I see why the Ker'rat space war zone was created. A big place for people to attack borg cubes and get loot as well as test builds/new toys. But, it seems anymore that the zone has outlived its purpose.

First, and most obviously the FED's and KDF's are no longer at war.....why are we pretending that they are? I just find it mind blowing.

For every new alt we are... Right up until the new mission is played.

Even then, while not at war we aren't exactly at peace either... It's more of a formal cease fire.

Second, how am I supposed to get drops when someone that choose the KDF side runs up on me and uses Beam Overload 3 to deal an utterly too swift blow (60k+ hit) that instantly destroys my ship.

By adapting your build like every other PvP?

Third, and the most annoying thing in the zone is the bop ship...T'varo/B'rel (apparently only the KDF side chooses these ships) and there seems to be a growing number of them. All the people piloting those things do is launch transphasics and destabilized plasma torpedos along with use grav wells, viral matrix, scramble sensors/jam sensors and in the T'varo singulairty jump to decloak you when you try to just get away from there stupidty all the while never staying decloaked for more than 2 seconds. And just when you think you can get them and keep them uncloaked by putting a tractor beam or grav well on them there 25 km away from you in the blink of an eye. Whoever, made this ship seriously has a twisted sense of humor cause none of it I find funny at all. The ship's 'enhanced cloak' that allows for the above mentioned stupidity to happen needs to be taken out of the game.

Again... adapt... OR even better: Team up.

And Last but not least.....seems anymore that the zone is a haven for a certain fleet on the KDF side to send in patrols to see how many are in the zone and how easily they can be defeated. Then the rest of the fleet rolls in and forms a huge ball of them and continually blows up all ships except borg till they all FED's leave, switch to another zone and do the same thing. Here's the golden kicker of it....why is this apparently the one map in all of STO that i can not switch zones. I have to find a friend in a diffferent zone, team them then switch....why can't I just switch without all the pomp and circumstance?

So why I ask you is this zone even relevant anymore? The only relevance I know of is for looting which is why I go. I have options like the new undine zone but frankly the yellow puddles annoy me and the ability they have to slip into undine space and be untargettable. Otherwise all the STF"s are the same thing over and over and the new ones are just awful too. Getting hit by a meteor and instapop?!?!

It's a fun map... Thats why it should stay.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Never!

Ker'rat is the only real fun place left in STO, why would you want to take it out? People are all too precious about their pretend space pixels in this game. I blow up in there all the time and I laugh and joke, so much more satisfying than raging in chat.

Since the spawning 'problem' was fixed the devs have seen fit to completely ignore it, so it's not wasting their time. You can ignore it too so it won't waste yours. Plenty of other places to get loot drops friend.
  • Options
    captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bahahahaha! Sounds like someone met Minimax in his bop. :)

No, Ker'rat is fine. The only thing that might should be done is fix the instancing.

If you can't hack it in Ker'rat then you should probably not go back...there really are many other and better ways to farm. Ker'rat is an Open PvP zone with buggy Borg to shoot at when no real enemies are around...that's pretty much it.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You have made an excellent case for why you might not want to go there anymore.

But you haven't made a case for why it needs to be removed? Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it has to go, does it? Have you never considered that the people that some of the people that play there and fight each other (vaping other ships, evading vapes, communicating populations and what not) are actually greatly enjoying that aspect?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bahahahaha! Sounds like someone met Minimax in his bop. :)

No, Ker'rat is fine. The only thing that might should be done is fix the instancing.

If you can't hack it in Ker'rat then you should probably not go back...there really are many other and better ways to farm. Ker'rat is an Open PvP zone with buggy Borg to shoot at when no real enemies are around...that's pretty much it.

My mighty and incredibly op Norgh (:P) has been the source of a bit of rage as well.

--

I'll never understand why people insist on complaining about war in a war zone. It's a place outside of time, existing in its own little pocket reality. Danger lurks in forms both unseen and apparent, and your survival is entirely dependent on your own competence (or the fickle hand of fortune). What happens in Ker'rat ought to stay in Ker'rat.

Sometimes you'll have a 15-1 advantage, sometimes you'll be at a 1-15 disadvantage. Once in a while you'll be in an epic brawl. Regardless, it's a place for people to throw down - farm at your own risk.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The lore is easily explained away by the time 'desync' between missions. You know, how KDF can still take on "Destroy the Federation Vessels" missions. Even the Klingons doing mok'bara on Risa still refer to the Feds as their enemy.

As for your other points,

You can still attack cubes. You can still get loot. You can still test builds. How can one say that it's outlived its purpose?

Stay alert, keep defenses and resistances up. BO3 only goes above 60k+ on critical hits - or with an impressive level of minmaxing. That includes debuffed defense. They can be defended against.

I have had next to no problem with them in science vessels. Counter them using Grav Wells, and when they run, use the same ability they use to run and pursue. They're squishy. At worst, stick close to someone who can, if you don't want to bother.

Not being able to switch zones is a bummer. But it's a tad odd that you don't see friendly Feds coming in to make a fight of things. I've seen them. They aren't invisible.

The other relevance is free-form no-holds-barred PvP, with little-to-no consequence for dying.

You've given no evidence for irrelevance to the game at large. You've only given evidence for irrelevance to yourself.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    It's a fun map... Thats why it should stay.

It's not fun for feds.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    It's not fun for feds.

I AM a fed... Yea I have KDF's, but their use of ships is limited to supply runs between my KDF fleet and Qo'nos.

It's fun alright... Unless of cause you'd rather cry than improve yourself.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You keep going in there in a Scimitar, which paints a big fat X on you and wonder why you die a lot. You aren't just there to farm either, you always try to decloak on us when you think the odds are in your favor but you still usually still end up popping fast. Just because things usually don't go your way in Kerrat does not mean it should be shut down, it means you should try a new strategy or go somewhere else.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hell no, i love it.

The cloaking thing is not a problem, if you keep a keen ear out for the decloaking noise you can activate abilities to resist the alpha strike easily.

As a mostly fun player, it's one of the best places to test builds in the game. Sparring with KDF players is also fun, makes it feel a bit like it did in the shows.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's not fun for feds.

I usually have lots of fun tanking around in my Odyssey or teaching those BoPs how science works in my Wells.

To the OP, the solution that may satisfy us all: Just ignore it exists and never come back...
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's not fun for feds.

At times it's not fun for Klingons either. Other times it's lots of fun for both.

Kerrat is a good place to test builds before entering STF.

If i had to change one thing for kerrat it would be to give it a solid daily once every 20 hours like the Tour of the Galaxy.

Right now it's mostly PVP which gets the daily bonus.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Third, and the most annoying thing in the zone is the bop ship...T'varo/B'rel (apparently only the KDF side chooses these ships) and there seems to be a growing number of them......

This here shows just how you are over exaggerating and just plain lying.

I get killed all the time by Fed T'varos and Scims doing cloaked barrage all the time. I see a lone FED ship, I start an attack run, then BAM, his cloaked RRW bodyguard sends my B'rel back to the respawn.

Feds and KDF both use Romulan ships fairly equally in Kerrat - so either you are anti social and want to destroy the last bastion of hope in the game, or you are just a pathologic attention seeker who is making stuff up for the sake of it.

The only real change that Kerrat could do with is making Romulans an actual faction so it becomes a 3 way fight.
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    The only real change that Kerrat could do with is making Romulans an actual faction so it becomes a 3 way fight.

THAT would be really awesome.

But it would make absolutely no sense, since the Romulans (at least if you're referring to the RR as "The Romulans") have, in the STO timeline, always been allies with both the Empire and the Federation.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think Ker'rat is a TRIBBLE map anyway, if your bad at PvP its a boring place to be as all you will do is explode and respawn over and over, if your good at PvP it has to get boring blowing up noobs unless you get your jollies off feeling superior because you can destroy players that are no threat to you.

Do I think it should be removed? NO!

I don't PvP, I have no wish to get blown up over and over by better players than me so I stay out of Ker'rat, the game does not require me to go to Ker'rat at any point to progress through the story so I stay away. I do not think its right to want something removed because I don't like it, if even 1% of the games population enjoyed Ker'rat then it should stay...... and even if they didn't, it should stay anyway because what would be the point in removing it?

I do think they need to add more open mixed PvE/PvP zones though for those people that do enjoy them and at least 1 of those zones should have a reason to have all cloaking disabled while in that map....... also some way of preventing spawn camping like a station at the spawn points that can 1 or 2 shot enemy players that come within 10k of the spawn point but the map would need to be huge for that.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »

I get killed all the time by Fed T'varos and Scims doing cloaked barrage all the time. I see a lone FED ship, I start an attack run, then BAM, his cloaked RRW bodyguard sends my B'rel back to the respawn.

Any ship with cloak or MES. It's usually easy to predict attack trajectories (they tend to stay away from crowded areas to avoid accidental decloak) and a torpedo bomber can pick off decloaking ships with ease.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you don't like it, then don't go to it. But don't remove it for those who still enjoy it on both sides.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This thread: "I don't like it, so remove it"

It's laughable.

Also, you *do* PvP in there with your scimi. I remember you chasing me down, being kind enough to give me GDF, and not cloak up afterwards. You gave me all the time in the world to strike back. And yes, a GDF + ApO + TF + BO3 + THY2 + EptW3 + ApA strike will hurt you, especially when you don't buff up.

So it might as well be: "I don't like it because I suck at it, so remove it"
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    they are? I just find it mind blowing.

So, you saying that you want a PVP zone where players dont shoot at you?? lol

Do you realize that kerrat is a pvp zone, right?? so, its completely logical that someone fires at you and kills you. Everybody knows pvp is broken, and things like being killed with a beam overload are completely normal. If you dont want that to happen, dont go to a pvp zone, period. There are thousands of ways to get drops or stuff.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, Ker'rat is fine.

It's high risk high reward gameplay that isnt anywhere else.
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No Ker'rat = I quit STO. Yes, that zone is the best zone. Only reason I bother grinding and getting stronger.

I don't wanna be forced into some loser team just to PVP. PVP is not just teams, people seem to think so, but they're dead wrong. Some people like being a lone wolf and winning alone. That's me.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    loose ker'rat, get rid of them pvp purists :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014

That's not quite why it was created though. It's a PvPvE zone. It's a zone for PvP where winning the PvP fight also gives you the chance to get loot - as opposed to PvP one encounters in CnH/Arena.

There are countless means for folks to do PvE and get loot. PvP and get loot? Welcome to Ker'rat...

Nobody is pretending that in 2410 a peace agreement does not exist. Ker'rat does not exist at 2410. It's no different than playing any of the replayable content. It would be far more silly to point out how many times folks have run iSE, eh?

STO is a themepark - just because new rides are added - doesn't mean you can't go back and ride the old rides...

You fly Fed Rom in a Scimitar. LoR should have killed the KDF boogeyman, but for some reason - even with so many advantages - certain Feds still point to the KDF as the boogeyman. It's mind-boggling.

Feds run the T'varo...Feds run TDF on the T'varo...Feds can run a better T'varo.

Again, you're flying a Fed Rom Scimitar. You like to decloak on folks when they are otherwise engaged (like you complain about). You like to run off and cloak (like you complain about). You like to bounce with your Singularity Jump as much as anybody else. You've got your Drones pumping out Scrambles.

So many of the things you complain about both in zone and on the forums are things you either do or other Feds are doing around you. If fighting an opponent that fights back instead of grabbing its ankles while batting eyelashes at you to come farm it is not your thing, then it is not your thing. There's a bunch of PvE just like that for you...

Again, perhaps PvP is just not for you. You're perfectly fine when the Feds vastly outnumber the KDF and you've got anywhere from 5-10 Feds taking out 1-2 KDF. Suddenly when the numbers are even or they favor the KDF...it's a problem?

That Fleet will usually hang out above either the Borg area or above the Fed spawn. Oh, no doubt when the Feds were previously camping the KDF spawn, that Fleet will drop down to offer some revenge. Possible that folks that were not involved in camping the KDF get caught up in that? Sure...that happens.

But with all the complaints about the KDF, it's a trip how the Feds are far more likely to end up camping a couple of KDF - mining the spawn - decloaking on folks that have appeared on their screens before the person spawning has even seen the screen...etc, etc, etc.

Again, perhaps PvP is just not for you. The ankle grabbing opponents that you can pat yourself on the back for blowing up are located in other instances...

It's a PvPvE zone. That hasn't changed.

Complaining that other things are the same thing over and over again, then saying you just want to farm some helpless Borg over and over again - it makes about as much sense as the rest of the post.

There's some Foundry missions out there that you might be interested in. The mobs spawn in little clouds that keep their shields down - they spawn one at time - you blow them up - you loot them - and never have to worry about them being a threat...that sounds like the kind of challenge you're looking for, eh?
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Y'know, this post reminds me: I need to go back into Ker'rat.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The only possible argument in the op is the cease fire.
    But that's not a good reason to take kerrat out. You may consider it taking place before the cease fire (just like the stfs or replaying any early story missions), you may consider it another war game/ simulation or you may just ignore the story aspect of it like probably 95% of the players do.

Anything else in the opening post can be summed up with "I'm not skilled enough to pvp so no one else should be allowed to do pvp". That's really all that is there.

Oh and the little misunderstanding about kerrats purpose. Kerrats is not there to test builds and equipment, kerrats is a pvevp environment that is there to make pvevp and enjoy yourself. And if you don't enjoy yourself there don't go there, it's that simple.
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Y'know, this post reminds me: I need to go back into Ker'rat.

I know, right? The best thing this thread accomplished was reminding me how much I love the sheer chaos of Ker'rat. Going in solo, not knowing what I'll face... It's a lot of fun. Do I lose a lot when I go there? Yes. Do I win occasionally? Also yes. Do I enjoy myself either way? Hell yes.

Shouldn't be entering Ker'rat if you aren't capable of accepting the cycle of loss and victory.
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know, right? The best thing this thread accomplished was reminding me how much I love the sheer chaos of Ker'rat. Going in solo, not knowing what I'll face... It's a lot of fun. Do I lose a lot when I go there? Yes. Do I win occasionally? Also yes. Do I enjoy myself either way? Hell yes.

Shouldn't be entering Ker'rat if you aren't capable of accepting the cycle of loss and victory.

that entirely depends on a players psychology. for me, i am capable of accepting defeats a few times, but i dont have patience or the time of day to sit around getting my backside put on a plate and handed to me.

some dont care about getting defeated, taking the approach that its just a game and just taking the fun from it. although i dunno how someone can get trounced on time and time again be called "fun", but i dont think that way so i cant understand it (not looking for feedback).

others enjoy the limelight and dominating so much they would never leave, eventually they stroke their own ego so much it gets personal the moment another player does something this person would consider "wrong". i can understand that position but then again there are reasons for the other player.

i mean there are more types but its depends on the player rather then the cycle of loss or victory.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If Ker'rat is changed the only thing that should be changed is the PvE portion versus the Borg, otherwise it is fine.

What I mean is it makes no sense for them to be there, it's quite far from the area they are attacking. Instead, the area could be made up of NPC Fed and KDF ships engaged in battle and the players PvE goal is too shut the other side down. These goals could be roughly the same as what we do now (For example, shut down defense satellites, then destroy repair nodes of some kind).

Also, the rewards for completing the PvE portion should be increased, they may have been good once, but now we have fleet and rep gear that outclass what we can get there.

The PvP portion of Ker'rat though? No, it's fine, don't touch it. And this is from someone who doesn't PvP.
    y1arXbh.png