test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Risa Summer Event

Comments

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But it need to be done 25 times and each time a separate day which is pretty stupid even for something you have to grind for. So is next event going to make you grind 50 time just to a free useless item?

Yes, you have to earn the reward, but...

The account-wide discount they implemented with this Event is far and away the best reduction in grind I've seen them do. Compared to the Winter and Anniversary Events, this is absolutely GLORIOUS. Look, I went on hiatus when they turned the Anniversary Event into a grind right on the tail of the Winter one; I just didn't want to do another grind and so I won't ever purchase the C-Store Science Destroyers. So, I'm right there with you in your dislike of grinding out the same little mission ad nauseam.

With the way this Event and it's discount have been formatted, though, I finally feel like purchasing Character Slots for Zen doesn't diminish these Events. You only have to do the full grind once, per account, for each of the ships offered... after that, run a set of courses and get a ship. For the first time, you can even get BOTH ships on your characters even if you didn't get one last year simply by unlocking the discounts individually on a pair of characters.

...THANK YOU DEVS for this method of reducing the grind. I for one am grateful for it being done this way, and I hope this is applied to other Events in the future.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well you probably don't use it as a main ship. If I would want to use it that way and this would happen I'd probably be p***** too..

Especially given the long history of "what's your beef with the galaxy"
    My first character alternates between it and the free Oddy. :P I used my Gal-X for the Mirror event. That was awesome.... :d
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Saying this ship isn't free because you have to go to Risa once a day and push a few buttons in various locations is like saying that DOff assignments aren't free because you have to go to a sector in space...and push a few buttons.

The Cruiser and the Corvette are free ships, the "work" anyone claims is involved is a non-factor. It's not combat, it's not resource intensive, and it's certainly not a test of skill.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    Maybe you could make it up to the countless (number so small it's not worth bothering to count) folks that were insulted, offended, absolutely devastated by what you said...

By elaborating on this:

Hrmmmm? Hrmmmm?

Some might just write the August bit off as folks having the ships a few weeks and then returning to their normal boats in general - but with what a lot of the folks have mentioned their desire for the boat to have included, that's a more permanent thing.

We also get into August...which would be a S9.5 thing, based on how the calendar would play out....hitting up X2 around November or so. With August being mentioned though, it sounds more like a S9.5 thing than a X2 thing.

We also know from a certain Ensign that August...so yeah, anyway.

You know, hrmmm - I've got a pretty good guess on what it's going to be. Could be massively off...could be massively right. Either way though, I guess that speculation wouldn't really be good for the game either way - would either create all sorts of disappointment or it would steal all sorts of potential thunder down the road.

So uh... never mind.

August was just a way of saying, "These ships will only be used for a few weeks." It's not some clever hint of some giant update coming in August.

I swear, you guys are so good at reading between the lines that you find stuff that was never there in the first place. Impressive.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    August was just a way of saying, "These ships will only be used for a few weeks." It's not some clever hint of some giant update coming in August.

I swear, you guys are so good at reading between the lines that you find stuff that was never there in the first place. Impressive.

Aha, denial! :P

Honestly don't expect a giant update in August - do have that loose expectation of there possibly being a S9.5 update (which keeping in mind how S9 was and the work being done for X2 - would possibly include the Secondary Deflectors and so forth...micro-update not giant update). But with what you said, lol - yeah - it was kind of fun to throw in that there would be something more to it - a further lead up to X2, etc, etc, etc.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    sthero wrote: »
    There are just 5-6 spots that I could find! And its pretty much useless doing this event as the rewards are paltry........5 favors during' bonus' time, else its 2!! Ridiculous IMHO!!
    They should up these to at-least 20 favors during 'bonus' and 15 during the normal time.

Yeah I thought it was about that. I agree that those rewards are actually pointless, I had read about the rewards via the Wiki after posting and decided at that point I'd never bother doing the sandcastles anyway. Why haven't they learned yet that we don't like grind for grinds sake? I was actually excited when I heard there were more activities this year, thinking it'd give me a bit more variety of things to do on a daily basis, though I'm no doubt only going to do the horga'hn hunt and the dance competition again as they are the only ones which reward anything worthwhile.

To be fair I'm not even interested in the hover boards as I don't want monkeys, and after grinding for the floaters last year before realising I wasn't going to use them again after the Risa event ended, it's just a pointless spend. I will get enough eggs for the birds to turn into marks from doing the horga'hn hunt, heck I still have like 60 of the eggs across a few of my toons from last year so I'm pretty much set there. All I really want to buy are some of the swim suits.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

You practically came out and said the ships are useless.

Why bother saying August when it does not mean anything?
    I have a feeling that what we are working on now, will get much more use, and be much more interesting to the players than a single, one off bridge for a summer event ship that likely won't get used much beyond August.
    Before you came out and said the ship is useless, you original spoke about the ship's bridge. I can understand your original argument; however, I think that gets said every time an event ship comes out. Its kind of expected.

According to your own followup response, the August reference was towards the ship's usefulness.

Why is everyone wasting their time?

I would ignore the summer event, save up my resources, and then wait for whatever happens after August.

So much wasted time and resources.
    Saying this ship isn't free because you have to go to Risa once a day and push a few buttons in various locations is like saying that DOff assignments aren't free because you have to go to a sector in space...and push a few buttons.

The Cruiser and the Corvette are free ships, the "work" anyone claims is involved is a non-factor. It's not combat, it's not resource intensive, and it's certainly not a test of skill.
    Actually, how it works is rather simple. In order for you to get the ship for free, the physical purchase of zen needs to occur. Cryptic puts a timegate and resource gate on all items, so they can absorb the cost of 'free' items over a period of time.

I bet the purchase of lockboxes and the randomness of lockbox rewards enters into the equation.

Once the price of the ships have been covered, the cycle will be restarted with another featured lockbox and event.

So, no. Event ships are not technically for free.

People who buy lockboxes and zen are paying for the ship's costs.

Cryptic strategically plans sales, item releases, and dilithium bonus, so that someone else can pay for your free stuff. Next time you talk to a zen buyer and/or lockbox gambler, I would thank them for investing into "Star Trek: Online".
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    *headdesk headdesk headdesk*
    venkou wrote: »
    You practically came out and said the ships are useless.

Why bother saying August when it does not mean anything?

He did NOT say the ships are useless. He's saying that people will get tired of the novelty and fall back on the tried and true after awhile. Tell me: how many ships have you bought and flown, only to go back to something you enjoyed more? I bought the Odyssey, went back to the Assault Cruiser. Got the Chet Grel, fell back onto my MVAE, bought the Fleet Ambassador, enjoyed my Fleet Dreadnought more.

Before you came out and said the ship is useless, you original spoke about the ship's bridge. I can understand your original argument; however, I think that gets said every time an event ship comes out. Its kind of expected.

According to your own followup response, the August reference was towards the ship's usefulness.

Why is everyone wasting their time?

I would ignore the summer event, save up my resources, and then wait for whatever happens after August.

So much wasted time and resources.

No, he wasn't saying that the ship would stop being useful after August. He's saying that around August, the fleet of Love Boats will drop down and go back to the usual ships that they're used to. Their usefulness won't ever be diminished, but people will go on to the next real shiny and the next shiny might be around that time or it might be sooner or later.

It's a fact of life.

Actually, how it works is rather simple. In order for you to get the ship for free, the physical purchase of zen needs to occur. Cryptic puts a timegate and resource gate on all items, so they can absorb the cost of 'free' items over a period of time.

I bet the purchase of lockboxes and the randomness of lockbox rewards enters into the equation.

Once the price of the ships have been covered, the cycle will be restarted with another featured lockbox and event.

So, no. Event ships are not technically for free.

People who buy lockboxes and zen are paying for the ship's costs.

Cryptic strategically plans sales, item releases, and dilithium bonus, so that someone else can pay for your free stuff. Next time you talk to a zen buyer and/or lockbox gambler, I would thank them for investing into "Star Trek: Online".

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, man, I needed that laugh.
  • hawkhawkinshawkhawkins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So the 580 pearls that I continued to slave away for last year seemed like it was a good time to invest them in the project, because this ship... This ship would be more than just another afterthought of a ship... This ship would be different!!!

It is 'funny' that the entire time i've been waiting for the summer event the one thought on my mind has been 'sure the new risa ship isnt pretty on the outside, but it's what is on the inside that counts'

Only a mere day later after tying the pearls to the project to be told 'there will be no inside at all'

Thats what counts.

I know it's not the dev's fault. But whoever decides what the devs are doing seem to scour the forum for the words 'fun' 'perfect' 'excellent' 'cool' and are subsequently assign the devs to projects to make whatever it is we're talking about into the exact opposite of whatever it is that we're describing as fun perfect excellent or cool. This is perhaps not the best use of the time of the people who are in charge of the developers... Indeed the opposite may be worth considering.

I dont want to mention the things that i'm looking forward to/excited about/currently enjoying because thats either absolutely then never going to happen or if it already is happening will quickly be 'corrected'

If I said here that I really enjoyed that the risa swimsuits get to use a different color palette because I get an outfit that is a bright bold radiant yellow instead of the puke brown yellow of the engineering team uniforms, I have a feeling the dev's bosses would issue a memo: what? who let that through? the new project is making the yellow on the swimsuits into a rich and heady 'mustard'. Tell them they're 'really going to enjoy it'
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One thing that I find annoying with the race is that the game only allow one person to get the speed bonus from jumping or passing over an arrow if two do it at same time.

The race is fun though, even if you should change mechanism for winning so first one in wins e.t.c.
    Guess the reason you have not done that is the same as the one that causes people not to be able to get speed bonus at same time. :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So let me get this straight: a luxury liner from a pieceful non-violent race like the risians ofc has a ltcom tac and one of the best armed cruisers of the federation, a dreadnaught nonetheless, build for war, has not.

Really i get it. Makes total sense. There are two other words i have in mind right now, thinking about gecko and one starts with a "f"....
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I see what looks like a Romulan superior powerboard but cannot buy it. I can only buy the allied faction board, is this meant to be? Really don't want to waste 1500 favours only to find you add it later :(.
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So let me get this straight: a luxury liner from a pieceful non-violent race like the risians ofc has a ltcom tac and one of the best armed cruisers of the federation, a dreadnaught nonetheless, build for war, has not.

Really i get it. Makes total sense. There are two other words i have in mind right now, thinking about gecko and one starts with a "f"....

Someone clearly read the blog... :rolleyes:

... and is in no way overreacting.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So i was wondering. I was going to make a new thread, but i guess its not needed for only what im going to ask.

Is there any way to see in a picture how the swimsuits looks like?? i mean, is there any image or something with some "models" lol, wearing already the swimsuits?? so i can chose the one i like and grind for it?? i mean, its really stupid to waste days and days gathering favors, and then buy a swimsuit that is not what you wanted... nobody thought on this??

I know there is a little preview when you click in the info option of the dropdown menu, but that is not really useful.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    just don't name it titanic.:D

outstanding event by the way, thanks guys. :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    just don't name it titanic.:D

Ensign: Captain, there's a massive comet off the starboard bow!
    Captain: Evasive maneuvers! Why didn't anybody see it?
    Ensign: Everybody was looking at Jack's drawings of Rose...
    Captain: Well, yes - those were interesting...ahem.
    Ensign: Do you think...
    Captain: Brace for impact!
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So i was wondering. I was going to make a new thread, but i guess its not needed for only what im going to ask.

Is there any way to see in a picture how the swimsuits looks like?? i mean, is there any image or something with some "models" lol, wearing already the swimsuits?? so i can chose the one i like and grind for it?? i mean, its really stupid to waste days and days gathering favors, and then buy a swimsuit that is not what you wanted... nobody thought on this??

I know there is a little preview when you click in the info option of the dropdown menu, but that is not really useful.

Closest I've found is this, fan-produced and doesn't include the entire lot:

http://rainsto.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/4x84me81.jpg

Combine that with the right-click previews and matching up the ones shown shouldn't be too difficult.
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Got my Nausicaan the shorts today (I know, the intention was for a scary, eye burning image!) seems Cryptic haven't given them their own body textures yet, human apart from head and hands. =(

EDIT: And my Saurian still can't wear sunglasses... I know, no ears to rest them on but still...
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • strikerp1980strikerp1980 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Discounts for the Corvette came a couple weeks ago (with Season 9, strangely) and are supposedly planned for this cruiser as well as the winter ships. However, pretty much nothing about it is currently official.

Dude.
    Grind on 2 Characters.

1 the Corvette and 1 for the Cruiser.

When it hits 1000 Pearls on each Ship. Other Chars can get the Corvette or the Cruiser for only 40 Pearls.

Just 1 Days Work from there on.
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    neotara wrote: »
    All these timers really bum me out... I'd very much like to pick and choose which events I actually want to do. More female outfits is great but the amount of time it would take for a bunch of costumes you can only wear on Risa, totally not worth it! It also looks stupid when you have to spend 3 hours or so in regular wear just to earn a swim suit. (You should start with one for free.)

The Flag Click TRIBBLE at the end of the race is garbage... it's not a race its who can actually click the flags without being disqualified.

Everything else is pretty cool. Great concept but fails to be fun; just another mmo grind-fest with poor rewards.

The prices for swim-ware only usable of Risa are stupidly high. :rolleyes:

If whoever planned for this had thought things through they would have made Risa-only clothing very cheap and added some general clothing we could wear anywhere that was expensive.

The grind would remain, but at least we would get more out of it. :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    spookpwa wrote: »
    The prices for swim-ware only usable of Risa are stupidly high. :rolleyes:

If whoever planned for this had thought things through they would have made Risa-only clothing very cheap and added some general clothing we could wear anywhere that was expensive.

The grind would remain, but at least we would get more out of it. :P

There's still the two costumes from last year that can be worn anywhere. Although I thought with 'Male - Shorts' in the blog we were actually getting shorts on the Risian Beachcomber outfit (the reason I bought it last year only to find out males can only wear the ugly 3/4 pants)!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
    edited June 2014
    Closest I've found is this, fan-produced and doesn't include the entire lot:

http://rainsto.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/4x84me81.jpg

Combine that with the right-click previews and matching up the ones shown shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks that is something, but a lot of suits are still missing in that image.. :(

Well i will need to think seriously if i want to waste weeks grinding for just 1 dumb swimsuit im not sure 100% if i will like. :mad:
    edited June 2014
    Since the 4th Anniversary, Cryptic's done things to lessen the grind,

Oh wait, what game i am playing!? ops, its not star trek online... ;)
    edited June 2014
    I see what looks like a Romulan superior powerboard but cannot buy it. I can only buy the allied faction board, is this meant to be? Really don't want to waste 1500 favours only to find you add it later :(.
    I keep hearing stuff about this so I went and looked around. there's at LEAST two, maybe more, board designs you see on display that are not purchasable.

There's that one you mentioned. It's NOT a faction board. It's just a green superior board. It has a Risa logo and not RR, and well, the same paint scheme in green. It's placement does suggest there SHOULD be a Romulan board though.

There's also a purple variant of the enhanced board. This one is unique in that it does NOT have the Risa logo but a Vulcan salute.

I also saw something that looked off. It's a black superior board with red trim. I'm not SURE it isn't one of the buyable boards, but none of the store icons look like it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • neotaraneotara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm not wasting my summer for a handful of useless items. It really upsets me that the race is only 2x an hr and you have to GRAB the flag. It would be awesome if you could just run races 24-7n then I would actually want the better boards.
  • spaceshipfoodfspaceshipfoodf Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Really like this ship, too bad I can't get it, it requires you to forget what life is, I have school and I can't play on school days...
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Really like this ship, too bad I can't get it, it requires you to forget what life is, I have school and I can't play on school days...

If you already have last year's ship:
    1) Keep one character on Risa.
    2) Slot the Risian Luxury Cruiser project.
    3) Once per day, log in and talk to the Event Coordinator.
    4) Once per day, fly a set of 3 courses within 10mins.
    5) Log out and go about your business.
    or
    If you don't have last year's ship:
    1) Keep character #1 on Risa.
    2) Slot the Risian Corvette project.
    3) Once per day, log in and talk to the Event Coordinator.
    4) Once per day, fly a set of 3 courses within 10mins.
    and
    5) Keep character #2 on Risa.
    6) Slot the Risian Luxury Cruiser project.
    7) Once per day, log in and talk to the Event Coordinator.
    8) Once per day, fly a set of 3 courses within 10mins.
    9) Log out and go about your business.

Upon completion of Flying High #25:
    1) Finish the races as on the prior days.
    2) Claim your Risian Corvette and/or Risian Luxury Cruiser with the respective characters.
    3) Doing so will unlock a 96% discount on every other Risian Corvette and/or Risian Luxury Cruiser for every character on you account.
    4) Claim whichever ship you want on any additional characters for 40 Pearls, by doing one set of courses.
    5) Log out and go about your business.

The following day:
    1) Log onto your characters and claim the ship they don't have at a 96% discount, or 40 Pearls, by doing one set of courses.
    2) Log out and go about your business.

Compared to prior Events, where you had to do 25 missions for each ship you wanted, on each character you wanted to have one, with no possibility of getting more than one ship on a new character... yeah, I like this. This is coming from someone that took a hiatus from STO due to the conversion of the Anniversary Event to a grind right on the tail of the Winter Event... this is soooo much less burnout inducing than any prior Event I've taken part in. This is under 10 mins a day to unlock a discount for your whole account, and you don't even have to earn the discount on your primary character, just park an alt on Risa; you can still play your main character wherever you left off ;)

Take advantage of the discount system they implemented. Be grateful for it. It is GLORIOUS. :D

[EDIT] Oh, one other tip: you don't have to travel to Risa. The Devs were kind enough to allow a free Transwarp to Risa orbit from your Missions menu, so all you have to do is hit "J", click on the Lohlunat Summer Festival notice on the left side of the Missions menu, then click the Transwarp button. It's free, fast, doesn't affect your normal Transwarp cooldown, and works for whatever faction you happen to be on.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • shadokittyshadokitty Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks that is something, but a lot of suits are still missing in that image.. :(

Well i will need to think seriously if i want to waste weeks grinding for just 1 dumb swimsuit im not sure 100% if i will like. :mad:

I can't say from first hand experience, as I haven't made it to Risa yet, but I've had friends tell me it doesn't take more than a day or two to grind for the swimsuits.
    edited June 2014
    shadokitty wrote: »
    I can't say from first hand experience, as I haven't made it to Risa yet, but I've had friends tell me it doesn't take more than a day or two to grind for the swimsuits.
    yeah, if you have several characters you can get 100 or more favors from each run of Horgahn hunt.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yeah, if you have several characters you can get 100 or more favors from each run of Horgahn hunt.

How is this so? I get 50-52 favors each run. I have only one toon.
    Joined STO in September 2010.