test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If there is a power creep, am I the only one thinking "Then just don't add anymore freaking reputation powers"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kato76kato76 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    :confused:
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kato76 wrote: »
    :confused:

Oh Yeah. Did they mentioned they started Nerfing Romulan players??? Next Feds and Klings.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If there is a power creep, am I the only one thinking "Then just don't add anymore freaking reputation powers"

That's been my position all along. I've posted it in this thread and others.

Let people keep what they have grinded for. Simply not add anymore passives to future reps.

But that would be too simple. This is Cryptic Studios we're talking about, after all.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh Yeah. Did they mentioned they started Nerfing Romulan players??? Next Feds and Klings.

That is most likely bug and as usual, people jump to conclusions and start spreading rumors to get others in an uproar about nothing.

My Bajoran character I copied over to tribble only has the 8 species traits I have selected on holodeck. All of the other species traits I didn't take are not available and there are a lot of them. It also indicates that for some reason his skills are invalid and I need to respec him. But I can't respec him on the test server because I can't get a captain retrain token, that I know of.

So if we're going to jump to conclusions, they gonna nerf playable Bajoran captains by removing most of their species traits. Errrr magurd!

Keep in mind the species traits on the test server have been revamped and is still a work in progress. It's only logical to assume bridge officer traits are bugged until Cryptic notifies us one way or the other.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That is most likely bug and as usual, people jump to conclusions and start spreading rumors to get others in an uproar about nothing.

It's a bug. Hawk confirmed it.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Thank you very much for pointing that out. Now this rumor can be laid to rest before it gets out of hand. :)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As far as I'm concerned, 8/8/4 would not be an improvement. Not with a flat cap. Because I'm not concerned with keeping what I've earned, I'm concerned with incentives to continue earning more. And the fact is since I already have 16/16* "options" from the existing reps there is little if any incentive to grind more unless I either have more than 16/16 slots to use them on OR said grind gets me more slots to use them on (as it previously has).

* The active slots don't matter because there will be only 3/2 "options" (space/ground) to slot in them and free swapping.

I have already decided that if doing Undine rep isn't going to give me more traits, I'm not doing it on any of my alts. I'll defer the decision on whether to do it on my main for when it goes live.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    How is that more sensible than 4/4/4?

Because it completely nullifies the argument that rep powers are getting a nerf. We keep the same number of passives we currently have, then have to start micromanaging "from here on out" rather than having half our passives taken away now.

Of course that's not an issue to those who can somehow see having half our passives taken away as not being a nerf...but I don't think Dr. Phil can help people who can look at 8 slots being reduced to 4 and say nothing's being taken away.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My new and current reputation system standing:
    Dyson = Tier 5
    Romulan = Tier 3
    Nukara = Tier 3
    Omega = Tier 4

Since we are only allowed four space and four ground passives, I do not see a need to work on the Undine rep system. I might bring Omega up to tier five. If the 'Rotating Weapon Frequency' is removed, I will most likely skip Omega tier five.
    Tier 3
    ~ Replaced the "Rotating Weapon Frequency" power with "Omega Graviton Pulse Module". This new power causes all of your ground weapon attacks to have a 5% chance to deal additional kinetic damage with 100% shield penetration. This damage is doubled against Borg.

Link: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3039033

Cryptic still has the passive listed as 'replaced'; therefore, I will most likely not bother with the end of Omega. I am also not going to bother with created a second avatar. Reputation system is too long, repetitive, and boring for me to care.

I am going to try to find other things to accomplish.

I might try role-playing.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Let people keep what they have grinded for. Simply not add anymore passives to future reps.

They addressed this already. Even in the initial blog post. They said they like adding in new reputations and rewards such as new gear sets and new passives are a reward system that they are happy with so they will continue to add these things.

Because it completely nullifies the argument that rep powers are getting a nerf. We keep the same number of passives we currently have, then have to start micromanaging "from here on out" rather than having half our passives taken away now.

Well according to Hawk they considered that alternative. And rejected it. So seems like continuing to discuss it is a waste of time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    venkou wrote: »

I am going to try to find other things to accomplish.

I might try role-playing.

Roleplaying is actually fun! The caveat is finding good RPers. There are good groups and individuals though :)

Accolade hunting is its own reward :)

If you are in a Fleet then contributing to Fleet Marks (if you *must* grind) can only help the Fleet too.
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic still has the passive listed as 'replaced'; therefore, I will most likely not bother with the end of Omega. I am also not going to bother with created a second avatar

Already been addressed. They're putting the rotating frequency back, it just hasn't gotten back on tribble yet. There's a dev post about it from last week or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They addressed this already. Even in the initial blog post. They said they like adding in new reputations and rewards such as new gear sets and new passives are a reward system that they are happy with so they will continue to add these things.

Well according to Hawk they considered that alternative. And rejected it. So seems like continuing to discuss it is a waste of time?

Yes, no more discussion about it . . . We must be happy with whatever the hand us.:(
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014

And as you know full well- "When did that ever stop anyone around here?" ;)
    Yes, no more discussion about it . . . We must be happy with whatever the hand us.:(

Horsefeathers. We have to take it, yes, and put up with it or move along. We don't have to like it. :P
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Did you know that it's a bug? no? that's too bad, because it's a bug... maybe you shouldn't take things too seriously and also maybe you should stop spreading fear.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Already been addressed. They're putting the rotating frequency back, it just hasn't gotten back on tribble yet. There's a dev post about it from last week or so.

It was actually added back on to Tribble with the patch on 3rd of April. For some reason they've never updated the blog though.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited April 2014
    Its his time to waste.

We live within a free world.

People have a right to their own opinion.

If you do not think its worth talking about, you have the freedom to move onto another subject.

Trying to take someone's voice away is heading into the wrong direction.

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom...and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" ~ Picard, The Drumhead
    I cannot find the blog. Unless they make the change to the original blog, I am still going to consider the passive as being replaced.

Original Blog Link: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3039033

Sometimes Cryptic says one thing, and they end up doing something else.
    edited April 2014
    Link: TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - April 8, 2014

Reputation Revamp:
    • All Hourly XP Projects now go into a Cooldown Period after being run 3 times within a 20 hour period.
      • During this Cooldown period, additional Hourly XP Projects cannot be slotted within that Reputation.
      • This cooldown is unique for each Reputation.
      • Example: Doing three Omega XP Hourly projects will not lock out the completion of Dyson XP Hourly projects.
      • This cooldown is calculated from the time that the last input was filled on the first project within a 20-hour period.
      • Example: If you finish filling the inputs for projects at 4pm, 6pm and 11pm, your cooldown will complete at Noon the following day
      • If you do fewer than 3 Hourly XP Projects within a 20 hour period, you will not experience any Cooldowns.
      • Example: If you start projects at 4pm and 6pm, then no other project prior to Noon the next day, the 3 count begins anew with the next project you kick off in that Reputation.
    I am just going to leave this right here.

I call that a game stopper.
    edited April 2014

Not really, the XP projects (the 20-hour and the 1-hour projects) should have a cooldown. Besides, the 3x 1hour XP projects is only a 20-hour cooldown and then when the last 1-hour project is slotted, then the Dilithium project opens up and you can do that as many times as one would want. So, it's not a game stopper at all.
    edited April 2014
    EDIT: Here's a bit more concise way of making my point.

They already received and considered that feedback. They chose to reject it. So if the goal is to get them to consider a different way of implementing this, then the feedback needs to change. Give them a new alternative to consider. Harping on an idea they already rejected won't do anything.

This isn't about your right to express yourself. At all. This is about the feedback process. That idea the same posters keep posting has been considered and rejected. The option now needs to be something different. Something they haven't rejected. Or you just end up with the changes as they currently are.

I cannot find the blog. Unless they make the change to the original blog, I am still going to consider the passive as being replaced.

According to khamseenair "It was actually added back on to Tribble with the patch on 3rd of April. For some reason they've never updated the blog though."

So that problem is dealt with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Not really, the XP projects (the 20-hour and the 1-hour projects) should have a cooldown. Besides, the 3x 1hour XP projects is only a 20-hour cooldown and then when the last 1-hour project is slotted, then the Dilithium project opens up and you can do that as many times as one would want. So, it's not a game stopper at all.
    Within my personal perspective, I consider it a game stopper. Unless I am making steady progress, I see no reason for playing the system.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Call me dense and ignorant but what's the problem again?
    edited April 2014
    There is no problem. You can disregard what some players are trying to do.
    Within my personal perspective, I consider it a game stopper. Unless I am making steady progress, I see no reason for playing the system.
    Are you required to do these reputations? No. If you want what they offer, you're free to do them. If you don't want them, you're free to not do them.
  • buzz0942buzz0942 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014

They already received and considered that feedback. They chose to reject it. So if the goal is to get them to consider a different way of implementing this, then the feedback needs to change. Give them a new alternative to consider. Harping on an idea they already rejected won't do anything.

Of course they rejected it. Do you really expect someone would admit that their idea (the work they get paid for) is bs and some spotty teenager has a much better alternative?

I think we should just wait and see.
    If cryptic numbers (whatever they count - probably only bank balance) go up - they did the right thing.
    If not - they also did the right thing. For sure they will find something/someone else to blame (most likely the players).

If cryptic wants to close the gap between a two day fresh lvl 50 player and someone who plays this for 4 years - fine. So no need to grind/buy shiny new items or capped rep passives anymore. Much more time (and money) to spend on something else.

And if you can not successfully complete a pve mission with your grinded bells 'n whistles ship with white mkx weapons and no consoles .. even when joining an elite pug match .. well, then it's time to call for an nerf. Guess which part of the playerbase will be kicked in the nuts ... again?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It stops TRIBBLE-sockers from speeding through reps by spending all day (and maybe night) refilling that stupid 1-hour project. :rolleyes:

Normal people aren't affected. I don't think I ever ran 3 1-hour projects in a single day for the dyson rep, and toward the end stopped doing them at all since its cheaper and less hassle to just run the 20h.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    It stops TRIBBLE-sockers from speeding through reps by spending all day (and maybe night) refilling that stupid 1-hour project. :rolleyes:

Normal people aren't affected. I don't think I ever ran 3 1-hour projects in a single day for the dyson rep, and toward the end stopped doing them at all since its cheaper and less hassle to just run the 20h.

I never ran the 1 hour projects, didn't it take 16/17 of them to shave 1 day off?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I never ran the 1 hour projects, didn't it take 16/17 of them to shave 1 day off?

I did a couple just to get a small boost (And to get Protonic Polaron cannons), but, yeah that's about right. Which is downright stupid. Glad the limit's in place.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    According to khamseenair "It was actually added back on to Tribble with the patch on 3rd of April. For some reason they've never updated the blog though."

So that problem is dealt with.

Indeed. Since he couldn't find the note when looking, I thought I may as well quote it so we can end that discussion once and for all.
    [*]Omega Graviton Pulse Generator has been granted the additional effects of slowing down Borg adaptation during Ground Combat.
    • This is exactly the same as the old Reputation Trait, just rolled into the new functionality.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • ironpenguin1337ironpenguin1337 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well that sucks...

Only just got to the point where i can get started with reputation, and was looking forward to building up all those little boosts and now i get to learn that its turning into the exact opposite of what i wanted.

This is actually more likely to make me play less in the future simply by virtue of there being many reputation rewards that fall under "Well why would i use this if there is (Insert better choice.) instead?". The result is that im likely to get less play time out of the reputation system before i get bored of it.

I mean, yeah. The reputation system was basically what i was looking forward to most about hitting 50...Im a sucker for any systems that will let you get a ton of small passive power boosts for spending a large amount of time. This being turned into yet another system where i end up getting the couple pieces that will suit me best and then moving on...Where as without that limitation, i can go on and get other pieces that are less then optimal for me but still there.

I dunno. Maybe i will end up enjoying this change...But to be honest it seems like its a poorly thought out choice so far. Most of the fun is going from the weak player into a strong one. Its harder to do that if vertical progression gets turned into horizontal.
This discussion has been closed.