test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    psikal wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some sound reasons for this change, but my concern is that it seems like this is going in the direction of having an increasing variety of abilities that are roughly equivalent in power, and having a limited set of slots for them.

Since the level cap has remained the same for quite some time, it seems like this removes one way my characters can "advance". I like in mmos for there to be some mechanism where I can continually make my character a little "better". The reputation system has been one way to do this up to now.

What I would like to see more is the possibility of gaining levels, abilities, or gear that are a little better than what I have now in an incremental process and introducing new content that requires these improvements to participate in effectively.

It seems like right now, I finish the latest reputation, get the latest set of gear and abilities and there is nothing then for me to do with the new stuff that I could not do before. There are no new goals that completing the reputation chain unlocks.

Problem with that, I can already see the Mark XIV gear prices. 120k dil, 4000 marks for a reputation set item, and 200k fleet marks and 50k dil for a fleet item.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • slyism3003slyism3003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    To me, it cheapens this.

VADM Malinda Leisha Ketchem, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Orlando:mad:
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    slyism3003 wrote: »
    To me, it cheapens this.

wow, yeah to be so excited to achieve the games new setup, the satisfaction of gain that extra bit for end game content they promoted...even having branflakes working on his and congratulating them, ouch, it stings in ways im not allowed to say on the forums.

Verison did that to me with my smartphone, $500 setup and device, boasted it in all the things i could do on it and set me up with a 2 year burden...i mean contract, it had a lifetime warranty and maintenance guarantee for 1 year, then they upgraded to 4G a few months later and where going to cut off service from my 3G blackberry and make me buy the new and more expensive 4G blackberry in order to continue my service....I wasn't polite when I told em where they could plug in that new phone!

...are all businesses like this? When they send em to college is there a special chapter called "Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition" they teach em? =$.$=
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    wow, yeah to be so excited to achieve the games new setup, the satisfaction of gain that extra bit for end game content they promoted...even having branflakes working on his and congratulating them, ouch, it stings in ways im not allowed to say on the forums.

Verison did that to me with my smartphone, $500 setup and device, boasted it in all the things i could do on it and set me up with a 2 year burden...i mean contract, it had a lifetime warranty and maintenance guarantee for 1 year, then they upgraded to 4G a few months later and where going to cut off service from my 3G blackberry and make me buy the new and more expensive 4G blackberry in order to continue my service....I wasn't polite when I told em where they could plug in that new phone!

...are all businesses like this? When they send em to college is there a special chapter called "Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition" they teach em? =$.$=

Just the bad ones that you should abandon and never give money to, like Verison.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I really haven't noticed much in the new rep system you still need lots of marks for items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    slyism3003 wrote: »
    To me, it cheapens this.

I got the MACO armors the hard way, back before Reputations existed. Believe me, I was happy that the change came. :P
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I got the MACO armors the hard way, back before Reputations existed. Believe me, I was happy that the change came. :P

Agreed. I much prefer the Rep systems to what we had before with the whole 'chance' for getting the drops. I ran sooooooo many ESTFs before eventually lucking out and getting all the parts I needed. At least the new system is consistent and not all about a dice roll.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited April 2014

Yeah i like the reps the way they are now too, I hope they dont hurt my progress on em. I ran elites for months and no XII gear, Luna managed to get the full set in 4 runs =U.U= I got my maco set through this system, now cat has the same gear as mentioned in my fictions. But if your now only allowed 4 passives, 4 traits and 4 powers with the coming change... its less incentive to grind further...
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agreed. I much prefer the Rep systems to what we had before with the whole 'chance' for getting the drops. I ran sooooooo many ESTFs before eventually lucking out and getting all the parts I needed. At least the new system is consistent and not all about a dice roll.

It mind numbingly boring.
    I used to be an avid STF'er, but since Omega reputation rolled around I completely lost interest in them.
    Now even a monkey can get endgame STF equipment without even half trying.

I mean seriously, you don't even have to play all the different STF's anymore to get a complete set.
    All people need to do is farm ISE for infinity.

At the very least there should have been something to force people to play through all the different STF's to collect everything and not just farm the easiest one repeatedly.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It mind numbingly boring.
    I used to be an avid STF'er, but since Omega reputation rolled around I completely lost interest in them.
    Now even a monkey can get endgame STF equipment without even half trying.

I mean seriously, you don't even have to play all the different STF's anymore to get a complete set.
    All people need to do is farm ISE for infinity.

At the very least there should have been something to force people to play through all the different STF's to collect everything and not just farm the easiest one repeatedly.

You have to do them all to get the accolades for the costume unlocks
  • vonwraithvonwraith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Been saying they need to get rid of Rep and Fleet gear.. get STF gear back to DS9 and acquire items through STFs. Make everyone that made a Romulan Character be in a true third faction..no more friendlies to Feds or KDF.

Eh. just like watching people change out their shields in a PVP match. :P
  • zelzxezelzxe Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After playing around on tribble, the 4 active, 4 passive, 4 usable is TRIBBLE, the power changes are TRIBBLE. The way you get rep is fine but everything else is TRIBBLE.

Leveling reps was as much about passives as it was gear (and some reps it was just about the passives). Why should we suffer for leveling reps by having to pick a handful of the time-consuming-earned passives we have.

Why should we even both leveling reps at all with this change? What is Cryptic thinking? They need to leave the rep passives as is, the more time you spend working reps the more passives you should have, PERIOD. Something about more time spent in game = more powerful (Like it is now). The change is like this "wah, i'm a new 50 and want to be just as good as people who have been 50 for a long time, they have all those powers i want, wah"

New rep ability slotting = telling veterans "All that work you did, TOO BAD!!!"
    As it is now = "Thank you for continuing playing this game, your reward is you are more powerful since you have spent more time."

I could go on but it would just get redundant.
    edited April 2014
    Taking heals, regens, certain engine consoles offline during battles with making subsystems restore take minutes instead of 1 second would make it more real and challenging. OR, make a hardcore server of the game giving that there are some that can't or won't play more true to the Star Trek genre. :cool:

No Rep or TRIBBLE on a Hardcore Server. Just good ol' know how. :D

I got my M.A.C.O., Borg and Omega gear before the Rep sys, I think it should go back to DS9 and make everyone grind for it. ;)
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    vonwraith wrote: »
    OR, make a hardcore server of the game giving that there are some that can't or won't play more true to the Star Trek genre. :cool:

I got my M.A.C.O., Borg and Omega gear before the Rep sys, I think it should go back to DS9 and make everyone grind for it. ;)

If you want 'true to the Star Trek genre', there would be 10% fighting and 90% character development. :P

As for returning the Rep gear to how it used to be, just no. I got all of my gear on one toon that way and half on another, it was incredibly boring and painful running hundreds of ESTFs just in the vain hope that you'd eventually get the drop. At least grinding the Rep system, you know you'll get it at the end of it all.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited April 2014
    If you want 'true to the Star Trek genre', there would be 10% fighting and 90% character development. :P

Don't mind playing the Episodes again to get where I need to be or adding more character development in the game. :)
    As for returning the Rep gear to how it used to be, just no. I got all of my gear on one toon that way and half on another, it was incredibly boring and painful running hundreds of ESTFs just in the vain hope that you'd eventually get the drop. At least grinding the Rep system, you know you'll get it at the end of it all.

I have about all my reps to 100%, I could care less about them but, I have to in order to keep up with those who can't do without.

Down with the Rep system and Fleet adaptive sheilds! Just bump us to LvL 60! :P
    edited April 2014
    And if this was really true to Star Trek, 75% of the fights would involve punching and torn shirts. :D
    edited April 2014
    And if this was really true to Star Trek, 75% of the fights would involve punching and torn shirts. :D

Don't forget the womanizing and dead redshirts or yellow shirts now.. lol:P
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014

And the Worfing. Can't be a Star Trek without your strong man getting beaten up.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Check this out. After reading a message I have become even more shocked. Something said Cryptic is Nerfing Romulans.

I have been testing Tribbles. I noticed that if you are a Romulan player and you have Romulan officers they don't count for anything anymore. Even if you spent hours upon hours grinding for energy credits, fleet marks, dilithium or whatever for them. Cryptic is really saying TRIBBLE you players with this reputation system and now more Nerfing.

For all the cry babxxx, who said Romulans needed to get Nerfed. I spenta lot of time with players in PVP including Federation and Klingons. Romulans can be beaten with all the bonuses they have. Klingons can beat Romulans. Federations can beat Romulans especially Scimitars. If people just got off their behinds and learned the game, maybe they would stop complaining about OP over powered players. Some players spend years building up skills. Out of players whining Cryptic is taking it all away. The hundrends of hours learning mechanics, learning about builds, testing, testing and more testing. Many of our crews died for us and sacrifaced their digital lives.

This is total BS. Cryptic is catering to instant gratification players which is stupid. If I'm BS look at these screen shots from Tribble. Watch Romulans should start complaining wanting Fed BOFF not to have leadership traits.

http://averyanthony.com/priv/sto/nerfbat2.jpg
    http://averyanthony.com/priv/sto/nerfbat3.jpg

Mind you I have 3 Superior Romulan Operatives, me as Romulan Operative, and a Basic Operative
    edited April 2014
    Taking heals, regens, certain engine consoles offline during battles with making subsystems restore take minutes instead of 1 second would make it more real and challenging. OR, make a hardcore server of the game giving that there are some that can't or won't play more true to the Star Trek genre. :cool:

So...next patch for this nerf request should be titled, "The Wrath of Von?" I did grind the old way (for a very very long time) and never got a single XII item, with the current rep system i got CatStars maco ground set, and the maco space set for flash dashing. But the passive tier powers where my main motivation...now none remains. "Plus I fly a Tier 1 connie to play out the TOS theme for James T Cat,
    ...picking on a helpless Caitian toon...you should be ashamed of yourself! <jk

People like me have already put in my time grinding many years for my toons, let the new guys do the same...please be fair to us. Dont Nerf your loyal Caitian players, we get offended!

I still think they should make the normal queued missions/pvp maps to negate special consoles and traits to calm the ferengi cryers, let em play those until they are ready to run with the people who enjoy the (build up and perfect) aspect of the game and allow for full on anything goes for those players who like to trick out their rides and pit em against each other, or team up for the coarse. in Hard Mode. That way everyone still can play the game as they want. Leave the 4 passives +1 for each rep completed, since we already earned them.
    edited April 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    So...next patch for this nerf request should be titled, "The Wrath of Von?" I did grind the old way (for a very very long time) and never got a single XII item, with the current rep system i got CatStars maco ground set, and the maco space set for flash dashing. But the passive tier powers where my main motivation...now none remains. "Plus I fly a Tier 1 connie to play out the TOS theme for James T Cat,
    ...picking on a helpless Caitian toon...you should be ashamed of yourself! <jk

People like me have already put in my time grinding many years for my toons, let the new guys do the same...please be fair to us. Dont Nerf your loyal Caitian players, we get offended!

I still think they should make the normal queued missions/pvp maps to negate special consoles and traits to calm the ferengi cryers, let em play those until they are ready to run with the people who enjoy the (build up and perfect) aspect of the game and allow for full on anything goes for those players who like to trick out their rides and pit em against each other, or team up for the coarse. in Hard Mode. That way everyone still can play the game as they want. Leave the 4 passives +1 for each rep completed, since we already earned them.

"The Wrath of Von" I like it!
    Down with the Rep SyS, Down with Fleet gear!!! OH WAIT, get new servers first before buffing or nerfing anything. :P
    edited April 2014
    "The Wrath of Von" I like it!
    Down with the Rep SyS, Down with Fleet gear!!! OH WAIT, get new servers first before buffing or nerfing anything. :P

=T.T=
    edited April 2014
    I think they should now Nerf Federation BOFF with leadership traits. Forbid them from getting BOFF with pirate traits. It makes the Fed too OP.

BS from Cryptic.

Season 9
    * Nerf Romulans to Mediocre Levels
    * Nerf Long Running Veteran Players
    * Cater to players who want Instant Gratification
    edited April 2014

Are you saying we need some sort of "Wooing" System? :P
    edited April 2014
    Check this out. After reading a message I have become even more shocked. Something said Cryptic is Nerfing Romulans.

I have been testing Tribbles. I noticed that if you are a Romulan player and you have Romulan officers they don't count for anything anymore. Even if you spent hours upon hours grinding for energy credits, fleet marks, dilithium or whatever for them. Cryptic is really saying TRIBBLE you players with this reputation system and now more Nerfing.

For all the cry babxxx, who said Romulans needed to get Nerfed. I spenta lot of time with players in PVP including Federation and Klingons. Romulans can be beaten with all the bonuses they have. Klingons can beat Romulans. Federations can beat Romulans especially Scimitars. If people just got off their behinds and learned the game, maybe they would stop complaining about OP over powered players. Some players spend years building up skills. Out of players whining Cryptic is taking it all away. The hundrends of hours learning mechanics, learning about builds, testing, testing and more testing. Many of our crews died for us and sacrifaced their digital lives.

This is total BS. Cryptic is catering to instant gratification players which is stupid. If I'm BS look at these screen shots from Tribble. Watch Romulans should start complaining wanting Fed BOFF not to have leadership traits.

Mind you I have 3 Superior Romulan Operatives, me as Romulan Operative, and a Basic Operative

Why do people get so scared? We all have been though many of buffs and nerfs. Just roll with it.. Zen out man..

Btw, Dave's not here man. :cool:
    edited April 2014
    I think they should now Nerf Federation BOFF with leadership traits. Forbid them from getting BOFF with pirate traits. It makes the Fed too OP.

BS from Cryptic.

Season 9
    * Nerf Romulans to Mediocre Levels
    * Nerf Long Running Veteran Players
    * Cater to players who want Instant Gratification

I agree with you, remove all BO3 BOFFs... oh that will include every faction to be fair. :P
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014

People are saying it's a bug. Don't get your underwear in a bunch.
    edited April 2014
    Why do people get so scared? We all have been though many of buffs and nerfs. Just roll with it.. Zen out man..

Btw, Dave's not here man. :cool:

Agree on the latter post. But sorry not rolling with it. Cryptic messed with something I spent hundreds of hours to get especially the passive skills and the bridge officers. So, sorry, no zen or balancing on this one.

It's total BS. I want the developers to spend hundreds of hours building up a player/character becoming a extension of themselves and then have it stripped from them.
    edited April 2014
    People are saying it's a bug. Don't get your underwear in a bunch.

Sexist. Really. You had to go there.
    edited April 2014
    Agree on the latter post. But sorry not rolling with it. Cryptic messed with something I spent hundreds of hours to get especially the passive skills and the bridge officers. So, sorry, no zen or balancing on this one.

It's total BS. I want the developers to spend hundreds of hours building up a player/character becoming a extension of themselves and then have it stripped from them.

It's ok, there are other games for you out there. :) Just stop thinking of yourself, you are not the only one that has spent hours on things.. Remember what happened to the Dread when it got nerfed? It's a game.. punch your computer all you want, it won't change a thing.
This discussion has been closed.