What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bjchiemara wrote: »
    This is NOT a nerf.

I look forward to new challenges and change is always better.

Life can't exist without change, stagnation is death.

To those complaining... these changes are directed at trying to improve the overall game mechanics now and in the future. To bridge the gap between fresh 50's and max 50's. Hopefully for the better.

Maybe now there won't be such an issue with fresh 50's getting plowed during an Infected Space Elite and costing the secondary objective, or during a Cure Space Elite and getting the Kang killed because 3 of the players are waiting on respawn because they got pulverized. (as examples, there are more believe me... like during the Mirror Event Elite, me holding off the enemies and closing rifts while powering satellites during 3 rotations of the other 4 players sitting on respawn... ridiculous)

Hopefully, now they can fix the enemies to not have to overpower max 50's in elite by simply hitting harder and getting that miraculous instance crit kill. (Tact cubes specifically...)

Although I hope they integrate some better motivation for fresh 50's to seek out grinding reps, otherwise, most fresh 50's will just sit at fresh 50 giving no effort to improve their character in order to be a better contributor to team missions.

There has to be a sort of "penalty" for keeping your 50 stock.

Considering the dev's just lowered the bar a bit...

It's time for fresh 50's to put in their share... casual or not, you are part of a gaming community and should at least try to put in some effort with your builds.

I am really irritated at Schimitars and Galaxy Dreadnaughts (as examples, I've seen other ships that should be tougher but aren't... some of them ships from C-Store and fleet ships) that get plowed over in the first 5 mins of a fight in Cure Space Elite or Khitomer Elite because the person just loaded up all the special consoles they could thinking they would instantly make an uber ship...

Here's a tip for you and everyone else who wants to make this argument:

Save your breath.

As you can see, viviananthony, meimeitoo and everyone else will pounce on you, call you a sock puppet, a kiss-TRIBBLE, a Kool-Aid drinker and everything else under the sun.

So, to save yourself the trouble, the blood pressure and everything else, just keep quiet lest you get them riled up to troll you.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's a tip for you and everyone else who wants to make this argument:

Save your breath.

As you can see, viviananthony, meimeitoo and everyone else will pounce on you, call you a sock puppet, a kiss-TRIBBLE, a Kool-Aid drinker and everything else under the sun.

With only 27 posts under his name, and after reading his first 2 lines, I immediately knew he was a sockpuppet. I *always* call ppl on that, no matter how hard you try and turn this into a mob action.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    With only 27 posts under his name, and after reading his first 2 lines, I immediately knew he was a sockpuppet. I *always* call ppl on that, no matter how hard you try and turn this into a mob action.
    You didn't even consider that he's not a forum regular, and for you to call him that, it's shows him a lot of what you're like. Also, since you seem to enjoy calling people that, especially if they disagree with your position, it tells people a lot of how you view other people's opinions, which is rather sad that you seem to enjoy calling people names and stuff.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited April 2014
    You didn't even consider that he's not a forum regular, and for you to call him that, it's shows him a lot of what you're like. Also, since you seem to enjoy calling people that, especially if they disagree with your position, it tells people a lot of how you view other people's opinions, which is rather sad that you seem to enjoy calling people names and stuff.

I have an uncanny ability to spot sockpuppets. Deal with it.

N.B. Just so satisfy my own curiosity, I actually did a quick lookup, to see if my instincts were right:

bjchiemara
    Total Playing Time:
    1 hrs 42 mins

LOL. Knows a lot about the ins and outs of the rep system, for someone just having played < 2 hours. :D

Ergo, sockpuppet. I win.

Oh, and sockpuppets get no respect from me, ever. If you want to argue, man up, and use your real account.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014

N.B. Just so satisfy my own curiosity, I actually did a quick lookup, to see if my instincts were right:

bjchiemara
    Total Playing Time:
    1 hrs 42 mins

LOL. Knows a lot about the ins and outs of the rep system, for someone just having played < 2 hours. :D

Ergo, sockpuppet. I win.

Oh, and sockpuppets get no respect from me, ever. If you want to argue, man up, and use your real account.

You do realize that that is HIDEOUSLY broken. I've been playing the game since August of last year and it says I've only played 12 days
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2014

bjchiemara
    Total Playing Time:
    1 hrs 42 mins

Ergo, sockpuppet. I win.

Possibly a developer's/PR's alt trying to give the impression that this reputation passives nerf is somehow "ok" when we know it's not.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    you guys DO know its only logging the hours you have Used ARC for....I myself have over 1600 hours logged with steam, and probably another 1000 hours outside of steam, and w/e is logged by ARC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
    edited April 2014
    You do realize that that is HIDEOUSLY broken. I've been playing the game since August of last year and it says I've only played 12 days

Hmm, according to this, I myself have only played for 1 day 11 hrs 43 mins, LOL. Ok, you get that one, as that does indeed look kinda broken.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bjchiemara wrote: »
    This is NOT a nerf.

I look forward to new challenges and change is always better.

Life can't exist without change, stagnation is death.

To those complaining... these changes are directed at trying to improve the overall game mechanics now and in the future. To bridge the gap between fresh 50's and max 50's. Hopefully for the better.

Wow. It is a Nerf.

Second point, bridge what gap. Either you work to get to the top or not. Cryptic is penalizing players who want to be at the top.
    edited April 2014
    Possibly a developer's/PR's alt trying to give the impression that this reputation passives nerf is somehow "ok" when we know it's not.

I think PWE has several alts on call for these purposes, yes. I've seen a few in other threads too. You can usually immediately spot them, as they tend to do just a (too close) rehash of the PR promo, from accounts with very low number posts.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Wow. It is a Nerf.

Second point, bridge what gap. Either you work to get to the top or not. Cryptic is penalizing players who want to be at the top.

I understand that reps can't be scaled infinitely; otherwise the gap, indeed, would become too wide. But, like I said a few pages earlier, you can complete the entire route in ca. 30 days, all geared up as well (I know, as I recently did it for my new Rom).

So, to now nerf existing players for 50%, just because newbies can't be bothered to do a measly one month of work, that just feels excessively punative towards those who actually already did the work. They should have simply frozen the reps at 8/8/4; then no one would have objected, me included.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Hmm, according to this, I myself have only played for 1 day 11 hrs 43 mins, LOL. Ok, you get that one, as that does indeed look kinda broken.

Yeah you can't use that as any sort of real figure. According to mine I have 26 minutes played... Yet according to Steam I have just under 2,800 hours logged.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, speaking as one of those "Noobs" who just busted his keister and completed all 4 Reps to V... I, myself, am rather looking forward to this change... Unless I'm missing something here, this means that I will now have 32 passive abilities that I can freely change between instead of being locked into 16 that I currently have access to.

To me, that's a good thing.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    Well, speaking as one of those "Noobs" who just busted his keister and completed all 4 Reps to V... I, myself, am rather looking forward to this change... Unless I'm missing something here, this means that I will now have 32 passive abilities that I can freely change between instead of being locked into 16 that I currently have access to.

To me, that's a good thing.

It's all a bit of 'swings and roundabouts' man.

Personally, I am coming round to the idea. I'm still not a huge fan I'll admit, but I am warming to the idea of being able to switch out my passives depending on what I'm doing after playing a bit on Tribble and not really noticing a huge dent (still is a dent but not as big as I originally thought it would be). The addition of being able to now freely switch out our character traits does also help because I can now use only ground traits when doing ground missions and only space traits when doing space missions. That kind of makes up for the other passives a bit.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's all a bit of 'swings and roundabouts' man.

Personally, I am coming round to the idea. I'm still not a huge fan I'll admit, but I am warming to the idea of being able to switch out my passives depending on what I'm doing after playing a bit on Tribble and not really noticing a huge dent (still is a dent but not as big as I originally thought it would be). The addition of being able to now freely switch out our character traits does also help because I can now use only ground traits when doing ground missions and only space traits when doing space missions. That kind of makes up for the other passives a bit.

Yeah, I hope we can save a set of passives we can switch to easily. Like the ship builds.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What an total FUBAR of the reputation traits that WE ALREADY EARNED!

I had 16 passive space traits and 16 ground traits online all at the time and now I only get to use 4 space and 4 ground?????

I do get the tier 5 traits in my active traits but WHY DID YOU NERF the traits I EARNED ALREADY?

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING CRYPTIC???????

WHAT IS THE LOGIC BEHIND THIS NERF?????

Give a good reason for this so we can try to understand what you are doing!!!!!

Is this to let level 1 newbies have a chance to PVP level 50"s ?????? If so, WHAT ARE YOU DOING????????

Please STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What reason will anyone have to do the reputations now???? Just to get the tier 5 traits and the ability to respect 4 space traits and 4 ground traits and have to spend more time now deciding what 4 traits in space and what 4 traits in ground to use for each mission or battle. More useless time taken away from playing the game.

Did you do this because you cannot actually improve the game?

So let me guess the next step here....

PWE/Cryptic to offer more trait slots in the Zen store of course and each time you want to respect you will need to buy respect tokens again!

Give us a break!

Why do you continually listen to the smallest percentage of players and then do things that mess up the game for the majority? Who told you this was a good thing? I would like to try and talk with that person because I think I could get them back into this reality but only after they take a dump so their head pops out!

All I can say is because of your greed, you are killing the game!

P.S. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE REPLY BELOW MINE!!!!!!
  • coleson73coleson73 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This sucks and you know it!!!
    edited April 2014
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    What an total FUBAR of the reputation traits that WE ALREADY EARNED!

I had 16 passive space traits and 16 ground traits online all at the time and now I only get to use 4 space and 4 ground?????

Please, enhance your calm. :) You only ever had 8 space passives 'all at the [same] time.' So, you only got nerfed for 50%... Hmm, still doesn't sound good, does it?!
    I do get the tier 5 traits in my active traits but WHY DID YOU NERF the traits I EARNED ALREADY?

Because, allegedly, new players can't be bothered taking a month or so to level up, like we all did. It's all about catering to the 'instant gratification' generation now, didn't you know?!

Truly. I consider myself a slow leveler. Still, even *I* managed to get my toon to lv. 50, all Tier 5 on the reps, and in possession of all significant gear, all within about 30 days.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    WHAT ARE YOU THINKING CRYPTIC???????

WHAT IS THE LOGIC BEHIND THIS NERF?????

It's right there in the blog itself. Second paragraph answers both of those questions:
    Ultimately, it’s been clear that the system as it exists on live is not infinitely scalable – if we had 200 Reputation powers, the difference between a fresh max-level character and one who’d spent hundreds of hours at endgame would just be too large for them to play together. However, we like the appeal of the Reputation system’s escalating power rewards – they feel good to earn and good to use. The solution that lets us balance passive power creep and give even better rewards than before for Rep progression is very similar to the solution we used for Traits – let players earn power options, then pick and choose which of those powers they want to be using at any given time.

So, to recap:

They don't feel the system as is can continue on in that way. They felt they needed to make a change. But they like the basic idea of the system, and how it rewards playing through the reputations. So their solution to their problem was to create a limited number of choices, but open up the entire rep umbrella to easy and free customization.

That's what they're thinking. That's their logic behind this change.

Whether you like that or agree with that ... is totally different. But then again, that's not the questions you asked right there. You asked questions that make me think you didn't read the blog.

So now you know what they're thinking and why they're doing this. Hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *snip*

Truly. I consider myself a slow leveler. Still, even *I* managed to get my toon to lv. 50, all Tier 5 on the reps, and in possession of all significant gear, all within about 30 days.

I just made a new toon a couple weeks ago and it's already level 50 with tier 2 rep. This toon has no problem racking the daily 10 kills in Ker'rat (with blue xi/xii gear). The way to close the gap between new and vet players is to teach people how to play, not to nerf what people earned.

I know that they had to do something about reps on reps on reps. But they knew this from the beginning, or at least the thought should have occurred to them. Whatever, coming in season 10, some new way to get more rep slots via c-store or fleet grind.

On an unrelated note, I love your sig. If I recall correctly you had a Mobius sig, and now this... My main flys a Mobius and now I'm in love with being [Superior] OP in my new Fleet T'varo on my new main. Great minds I guess.
    edited April 2014
    So that logic still escapes me....

Why do I have to suffer because a fresh level 50 has not done all of the reps yet?

Why did I do the grind... oh I was promised amazing rep gear and abilities (passives) and now they have decided that they cannot make it work because brand new 50's are not the same as level 50's that have SPENT THE TIME TO EARN WHAT THEY HAVE!

MAKE NEW CONTENT BASED ON THIS!

New STF's, missions, etc. at different levels for the different levels of 50's!

You currently have normal and elite's... make uber level ones, increase the upper limit from 50 to 60. There are numerous ways to make this work instead of NERFING and taking away what you promised us!

Nerfing the traits because a brand new level 50 has not earned them yet is STUPID!

Develop new content instead of NERFING WHAT WE WERE PROMISED AND EARNED!

PWE/CRYPTIC STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!
    edited April 2014
    Why do I have to suffer because a fresh level 50 has not done all of the reps yet?

Selective reading. That's not the part you need to read. This is:
    Ultimately, it’s been clear that the system as it exists on live is not infinitely scalable

Their logic is that they feel the system is not designed to scale infinitely. Meaning they felt they needed to put a cap on it in some way.

You're focusing on the part about brand new 50s and digging in on that. So that might be why their logic is escaping you. Focus on everything else they said as well. They don't think they can keep letting new reps add new passives ad infinitum.

They've probably played everquest. And seen what Alternate Advancement looks like today, over a decade after it was introduced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coleson73coleson73 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is a nerf, I don't care how you words it.. Now what they should have done was.. Gave us 8 slot in each space and ground then said from here on you will have to pick your rep traits. But no they had to go and up set most of the players.. Not to smart..
    edited April 2014
    coleson73 wrote: »
    This is a nerf, I don't care how you words it.. Now what they should have done was.. Gave us 8 slot in each space and ground then said from here on you will have to pick your rep traits. But no they had to go and up set most of the players.. Not to smart..

Do you really think if they did what you suggested, the exact same posters who dominate this thread would not be screaming bloody murder and nerf just the same?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    You are missing my point!

We were promised these and WE EARNED them by putting in the time and money to get them!

Now they decide that they cannot handle the code to make it work and take them away!

And you AGREE WITH THIS???????

Maybe they should have thought of this before they introduced the rep system. Maybe they should have had better thinkers. Maybe they should have given the rep system more development and actually tested it to see where it would head!

That is all part of a development plan in any business. While no one can look into a crystal ball and have all the answers, they can see that the continuous adding of reps and passive powers cannot be maintained. I agree with that, BUT WHAT I DON'T AGREE WITH IS TAKING AWAY WHAT WAS ALREADY EARNED!

A better way to do this is to increase the space/ground traits slots from 4 to 6 or 8 and going forward any new rep like the 8472 passive traits will be available but you have to replace an existing active trait to use it.

Now that is fair to all of the players that EARNED the existing traits and the newbies coming up. And it puts the upper limit on traits so Cryptic can handle their mistake in planning or complete lack of planning.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They don't think they can keep letting new reps add new passives ad infinitum.

They've probably played everquest. And seen what Alternate Advancement looks like today, over a decade after it was introduced.

You think they didn't play Everquest a year and a half ago when they conceived and implemented the Rep system ?
    They did . And they saw , and they did it anyway .

This is Cryptic at this point ... , and this is why certain ppl need to move on from the Dev team .
    Not because they are bad ppl , but because they are either hurting the game knowingly , or just don't give a f-k at this point .
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    You think they didn't play Everquest a year and a half ago when they conceived and implemented the Rep system ?
    They did . And they saw , and they did it anyway .

This is Cryptic at this point ... , and this is why certain ppl need to move on from the Dev team.
    Not because they are bad ppl , but because they are either hurting the game knowingly , or just don't give a f-k at this point .

Agreed.
    You are missing my point!

We were promised these and WE EARNED them by putting in the time and money to get them!

Now they decide that they cannot handle the code to make it work and take them away!

Yeah it's a dumb poorly thought out attempt at a solution for a power creep issue that should be 3rd or more down the list of things to be fixed AFTER bugs and broken game mechanics which are far more game breaking and important.

People spent hours of their lives they wont ever get back to earn these passives in their current form, some even spent real money in addition to the hours of their lives. Now Cryptic wants to turn hours and dollars spent, into hours and dollars wasted. As Worf and Tuvok both said in the Dyson episodes, this does not bode well.

Don't worry though, if this goes live there will be a petition, you can sign it and it will go directly to PWE, so at least you know they'll hear you.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Welcome to Season Neuf

(as the French would say).
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The following "copy & paste" was taken from a complaint page about the new & "unimproved" yahoo! -- Companies now a days do NOT care about us, the vocal minority anymore; they NOW care about the "Idiot Elites" who want their computers as dumbed-down as possible.

So, it's not just Cryptic that's pissing off it's end users, it's pretty much most companies out there.

They are definitely NOT ignoring their users.

They are pandering to the emergence of the Idiot Elite.

Think of it, all those features could be argued as "power" features, which have been stripped out or dumbed down to pander to a growing populace of people too lazy or otherwise unable to figure out how to learn something a little more advanced than point and click.

I mean Microsoft pulled the start menu because ALL iOS and Android users are used to accessing apps by slapping a hairy knuckle against a grid these days, no fancy "tree" lists, categorizations or having to type to find something. Microsoft might have pissed off their power users, but guaranteed there are more people that actually like the Metro interface then the vocal minority that hate it. People are NOT complaining about the dumbed down simplicity of other Tablet OS'es these days.

So nerds, geeks, and dweebs do not rule the tech universe anymore, we are just along for the ride. We used to drive the market by wanting faster and better and more powerful in every generation, but eventually companies could not keep up and realized taking a large regressive step backwards made these products more accessible and desirable by the non-tech elite. Instead of upgrading to a new more powerful 16 core desktop, the idiot elite were dazzled by the simplicity of a tablet or phone with only a small fraction of the processing power and abandoned traditional computers, as they are with other services and games. People would rather fling a bird at pigs or harvest Smurfberries for 6 hours a day rather than exploring a world in an RPG or even getting out their aggressions in a state of the art FPS.

Every company today is crafting their services and products to pander to the Idiot Elite because they know they can profit more from them rather than trying to appease the power user. Consider the idea if an FPS like Crysis came out where you would have to buy your ammo with real world money. The GEEKS and NERDS would have revolted and the game would never be successful. However today the Idiot Elite are throwing millions of real world money at companies buying their f***ing Smurfberries.

Companies are not ignoring their demographic, they are just beginning to realize how naive they are.

We lost, even Slashdot is slowly slipping into a social site where people would rather debate the qualities of cat breeds rather than ripping into the merits of a new CPU architecture.

No company makes a change to their service or product just to TRIBBLE of customers, they do so because they are realizing there is a growing market of users that simply do not give a f***k!

So there it is ... the MOST probable reason for Cryptic's stupid recent changes. They DO NOT care if longtime veteran users are pissed off, because there will always be newbee Idiot Elites who don't know any better.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next Rep System for STO (after the Udine Rep comes out) involves tossing "Smurf-berries" from our starships into blackholes ... meh oh well, there are other games out there & if all else fails, I still have most of my old CD-ROM's.
    edited April 2014
    Their logic is that they feel the system is not designed to scale infinitely. Meaning they felt they needed to put a cap on it in some way.

You're focusing on the part about brand new 50s and digging in on that. So that might be why their logic is escaping you. Focus on everything else they said as well. They don't think they can keep letting new reps add new passives ad infinitum.

Nor does anyone else "think they can keep letting new reps add new passives ad infinitum." Please, stop bringing up this strawman.

And yes, he's "focusing on the part about brand new 50s and digging in on that," because he's getting nerfed for 50%. Doh.

"Meaning they felt they needed to put a cap on it in some way." Again with the strawman: people are already in agreement about the need for a cap. That cap should have been at 8/8/4, though, is the point. Talk about selective reading!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.